The Ben Long Appeal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

oboe
Club Player

The Ben Long Appeal

From the outset I have no idea what will happen.
But what I like is we're the Club is having a go. and defending one of our players.
Never happened with the draw against Fremantle.
Never happened defending Stevie Baker.
Says all about our Club.
I like it!!!

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Re: The Ben Long Appeal

oboe wrote: Tue 06 Oct 2020 9:12pm From the outset I have no idea what will happen.
But what I like is we're the Club is having a go. and defending one of our players.
Never happened with the draw against Fremantle.
Never happened defending Stevie Baker.
Says all about our Club.
I like it!!!
We have nothing to lose so why not go for the appeal. I doubt it will be overturned but at least we tried

1965 Saint
Club Player

It should be overturned. Asking the jury to imagine what might have happened is ridiculous. There is also the theory that they are trying to stop people running in off the line but there is no rule dealing with that. It should not matter how Long arrived at the contest. The only thing that should matter is what the outcome was. And that was low impact.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

1965 Saint wrote: Tue 06 Oct 2020 9:24pm It should be overturned. Asking the jury to imagine what might have happened is ridiculous. There is also the theory that they are trying to stop people running in off the line but there is no rule dealing with that. It should not matter how Long arrived at the contest. The only thing that should matter is what the outcome was. And that was low impact.
100 % agree but we are not Collingwood ,Richmond or Geelong so that's why I say I doubt it will be overturned

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

If it isn’t overturned the game is in real trouble

Josh Battle
Club Player

1965 Saint wrote: Tue 06 Oct 2020 9:24pm It should be overturned. Asking the jury to imagine what might have happened is ridiculous. There is also the theory that they are trying to stop people running in off the line but there is no rule dealing with that. It should not matter how Long arrived at the contest. The only thing that should matter is what the outcome was. And that was low impact.
Spot on. If they don’t like the ‘look’ of a player running in and laying a bump, then adjudicate or change the rules. The player shook it off like a fly just went up his nose. He wasn’t dizzy or hurt. He got straight back up and ran to the next contest with absolutely no affect from the bump.

I heard Gerard Whately talking on 360 tonight and it s***s me how definitive he is and how dismissive he was as if it’s a foregone conclusion that we will lose. If it was a Geelong player he would have argued from the get go that he should have only got a fine. Geelong supporting wanker!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Josh Battle wrote: Tue 06 Oct 2020 9:56pm
Spot on. If they don’t like the ‘look’ of a player running in and laying a bump, then adjudicate or change the rules. The player shook it off like a fly just went up his nose. He wasn’t dizzy or hurt. He got straight back up and ran to the next contest with absolutely no affect from the bump.

I heard Gerard Whately talking on 360 tonight and it s***s me how definitive he is and how dismissive he was as if it’s a foregone conclusion that we will lose. If it was a Geelong player he would have argued from the get go that he should have only got a fine. Geelong supporting wanker!!
Whately is a clown, the Abbott in the Abbott and Costello wank fest. Just a couple of talking heads, doubt either one of them ever played a game.

He was f****** dismissive wasn't he? Turd.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Would be extremely surprised if we get the grading lowered tonight.

It just wont happen. Have to prove that the tribunal did not act in a reasonable fashion.

It wont happen. It sucks, it should have been lowered on Monday.

Watch him come off the line against Port.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Do they do it via Zoom?
That's the only way our silks (lawyers, if we use them) can mount our case to the Politburo.

What time does it happen?

I was wondering if this were an unwelcome distraction that would hurt our prep, but then realise that Roughy, Ratts etc are all battle-hardened and know how to focus and keep the squad on task.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 07 Oct 2020 12:28pm

Whately is a clown, the Abbott in the Abbott and Costello wank fest. Just a couple of talking heads, doubt either one of them ever played a game.

Oh, he’s a real turd that one.
💩 💩 💩 💩

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

I’d pay money to see Longy run through f****** Whankley

Josh Battle
Club Player

He sort of gives me that creepy Brucey vibe

Do you reckon he is hiding anything? No actually, don’t answer. We don’t want to be spreading vicious unsubstantiated scuttlebutt and getting this place in trouble

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 07 Oct 2020 12:48pm
saynta wrote: Wed 07 Oct 2020 12:28pm

Oh, he’s a real turd that one.
💩 💩 💩 💩
Yep.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote: Wed 07 Oct 2020 12:51pm I’d pay money to see Longy run through f****** Whankley
:wink: Another me too moment. :lol:

SaintDippa
Club Player

I've long thought we don't have enough footy smart players.
Case in point Long. Coming off the line looking for blokes to pick off was so 1989 and has been pretty much stamped out. If Long had any footy nouise he would have crept behind MacRae and given him a solid round house to his mush ala Hawkins and got off. Or watched the arm pinning tackling technique of Burgoyne.
No footy smarts.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

SaintDippa wrote: Wed 07 Oct 2020 3:08pm I've long thought we don't have enough footy smart players.
Case in point Long. Coming off the line looking for blokes to pick off was so 1989 and has been pretty much stamped out. If Long had any footy nouise he would have crept behind MacRae and given him a solid round house to his mush ala Hawkins and got off. Or watched the arm pinning tackling technique of Burgoyne.
No footy smarts.
Can't help but agree. That said - geez I'd love it if he was able to come off the line this week and put Cotchin into the middle of next week

Go you red, black & white warriors
bigred
Saintsational Legend

He should have gone in an inch lower and not hit his chin.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

What time is it on?

#1 Ryder fan
freely
SS Hall of Fame

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Interesting.

Jack Rush QC is acting on behalf of Ben Long. He says the argument relating to Jack Macrae's snap back of the head upon contact took the Saints by surprise.

"We had absolutely no opportunity to address that jury finding... if something had alerted us to such a finding, we could have taken appropriate action."

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Jack Rush QC says 'Long admitted to high contact and an early plea of low impact. What the jury have come back with is not something that we could possibly bear notice of. They've effectively found some form of whiplash in relation to this contact. We could not have anticipated on any basis that this would be a finding of the jury. That finding affects and impacts on the whole deliberation so we say we're in good grounds to appeal.'

bigred
Saintsational Legend

There's now a deliberation taking place to determine if this appeal can even go ahead.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda are asking for a biomechanics expert to give evidence at the Tribunal, which is being considered now by the Appeals Board.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda's attempt to have a biomechanics expert appear before the panel has been rejected. The Saints are now attempting to argue the case without that new evidence being called upon.

Fuckers.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda say there has been an over focus on the potential to cause serious injury as opposed to the medical report that shows no serious injury was caused to Macrae

Damn straight