Ben Brown .....( wtf ?? )

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

beebarry
Club Player

Ben Brown .....( wtf ?? )

I know its only Barrett barking like the little yappy dog he is, but for a moment, entertain this possibility and try and work out how we look next year with BB in the side. ....for mine I don't want this to happen,,,,but if it did ....

What happens to the development of Max King ? Does having a one trick lead up forward pony as an option to kick to help or hinder him ? When it works its a pretty good one trick .....

What happens to Members ? I like him as a half forward that can come up on the wing and still get threatening in the 50m zone.....so this doesnt change much ...

RoMa ? Imagine opposition backlines trying to plan for BB, RM and MK in the front half ......too tall you might say but with Lonie and Butler and Gresh buzzing at their feet ....

Just ruminating on this as I nervously wait for Saturdays game .....dont think it will happen but you never know ...

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben Brown .....( wtf ?? )

Big chance we will have Paddy Mac back next year too. I wonder if it's a COVID-19 impacted strategy to stockpile gun Tall forwards that will cost us nothing and then use them to trade with over the next few years. It's a strategy GWS has used successfully and Gubby is now with us.

I also wonder if Kingy has them worried he might not develop quick enough or rid himself of his technical flaws with marking and set shots.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

If we didn’t have King then maybe but I don’t think he would suit us at all.

Isn’t he a bit one dimensional? He is practically useless when the ball hits the ground.

I think he would be good at Sydney or even the Gold Coast but not for us.

No thanks.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

If the club was insisted on another tall choice or some forward depth, he would certainly be a superior choice to Paddy

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Why don’t we just recruit another ruckman and get Marshall to play forward permanently?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 7:13pm Big chance we will have Paddy Mac back next year too. I wonder if it's a COVID-19 impacted strategy to stockpile gun Tall forwards that will cost us nothing and then use them to trade with over the next few years. It's a strategy GWS has used successfully and Gubby is now with us.

I also wonder if Kingy has them worried he might not develop quick enough or rid himself of his technical flaws with marking and set shots.
Hard to get rid of flaws that don’t exist... :roll:

I suppose the rest of your ‘predictions’ have fallen thru so you’ve moved on to trying to pot King.

He’s played 15 games of footy, he’ll naturally get better in all aspects of AFL footy next year dramatically.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 7:53pm Why don’t we just recruit another ruckman and get Marshall to play forward permanently?
Could the ruck be where the club see him mosty playing.

beebarry
Club Player

I dont actually want BB - I would much rather we chase Caldwell and 2m Peter ....If we could land those 2 and NOT lose Seb or Dunstan then I would be very happy ...

but if we got BB for a 3rd rounder (who knows ? - his value to the Kangas appears to be plummeting) then I would probably entertain it ....its only for 2 seasons while King works on his destiny of becoming the best player in the league ......

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 7:13pm I also wonder if Kingy has them worried he might not develop quick enough or rid himself of his technical flaws with marking and set shots.

King isn’t going anywhere. In fact, what he has achieved in his so far very brief career has been remarkable. Give him a couple of seasons and he’ll be the league’s best forward.

Don’t mind Pav’s suggestion of us finding another top ruckman and playing Marshall CHF/Ff. We know he’s good enough and you can make a convincing case that CHF is the key position in the ground.

I rate Brown very highly as a traditional full forward (a lead, mark and kick man) but I’m not sure how he’d complement our existing strengths.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 8:05pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 7:53pm Why don’t we just recruit another ruckman and get Marshall to play forward permanently?
Probably. Just throwing around ideas.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 8:11pm
Gee if Ben is keen to play mostly ruck then it could he a master stroke. The big question is, is he any good as a ruck player?

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

I like the idea way better than recruiting Ben Brown , who do you think we should target? If only Max Gawn was gettable :)

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Marshall would prefer to be permanent CHF...He loves a goal

Nee!
johnearljames
Club Player

Who plays key forward if King and Marshall are injured and have to sit out the year?

Ryder will only play 2 more years. What happens if Ryder gets injured?

Maybe Brown will be a good investment. King could easily play CHF and has all the tools for the role. Brown will cost a lot less than he did a while ago too. We need to plan ahead for when Ryder retires.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Can Brown ruck? We want versatile players who can play a variety of positions.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

johnearljames
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:30pm Can Brown ruck? We want flexible players who can play a variety of positions.
Can King or Howard? There is no way you would chuck them in the centre square.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Recently someone posted about the notion of King needing a role model forward to learn from.

For whatever reason that point has resonated with me.

I’m not suggesting that Brown should play ahead of King or even that he’s a lock in the 22...
At his peak he was an elite forward. If we get him cheap, I don’t mind the idea of having him on the list

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:34pm
bigcarl wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:30pm Can Brown ruck? We want flexible players who can play a variety of positions.
King could ruck for sure - and he’d be very good - but the club sees his future as an elite key forward. They don’t want him beaten up as a bash and crash ruckman.

If we got Brown, what would that do to King’s development?

It would be an insult to ask Brown to come to St Kilda as injury insurance for Marshall or King and you couldn’t have a high-profile and well-paid player like him warming the bench at Sandringham waiting for someone to fall over.

johnearljames
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:40pm
King could ruck for sure - and he’d be very good - but the club sees his future as an elite key forward. They don’t want him beaten up as a bash and crash ruckman.

It would be an insult to ask Brown to come to St Kilda as injury insurance for Marshall or King and you couldn’t have a high-profile and well-paid player like him warming the bench at Sandringham waiting for someone to fall over.
He would play FF.
King CHF.

Ryder and Marshall share ruck duties until Ryder retires.

Its not impossible.

King will become our CHF. He is ready.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:43pm

He would play FF.
King CHF.

Its not impossible.

It could work, I guess. But I don’t mind the idea of Marshall permanent CHF. The guy is a gun. That’s why I wondered whether Brown can ruck. Or is he too one-dimensional? Tank not big enough?

johnearljames
Club Player

bigcarl wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:49pm
johnearljames wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:43pm

He would play FF.
King CHF.

Its not impossible.

It could work, I guess. But I don’t mind the idea of Marshall permanent CHF. The guy is a gun. That’s why I wondered whether Brown can ruck. Or is he too one-dimensional? Tank not big enough?
No idea but he has kicked 50+ goals a few times I think so probably not.

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

Other prestige teams are in more desperate need of a full-forward so I can't see it happening and hope it doesn't.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 9:52pm No idea but he has kicked 50+ goals a few times I think so probably not.
Like I said, I rate him very highly as a traditional full-forward (a lead, mark and kick man).

With the trend towards shorter quarters, more congestion, no space to lead etc, that type is becoming something of a dinosaur. I think that’s a shame, but - short of the AFL limiting the number on the bench and guaranteeing a return to full length matches next season (which they haven’t) - it is a reality.

The Coleman medallist this year Hawkins kicked what, 40-odd goals. Yep, I know there’s been only 18 matches, but even so. It’s very hard for the traditional lead-into-space-and-mark forward to score.

Anyhow we will see. The club is in good hands and I’m sure would find a way for it to work if it eventuated, but it had better not stunt the growth of King or Marshall.

stkfc1
Club Player

My problem is if Brown comes in, where does that leave Battle? Unless we are defintley moving Carlise on and Battle plays back permanently, we are way to tall with them all in. Battle is a lock in our 22 so just don't see room for Brown.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 8:15pm
SaintPav wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 8:11pm
Gee if Ben is keen to play mostly ruck then it could he a master stroke. The big question is, is he any good as a ruck player?
I was referring to Marshall, not Ben Brown.