Time to get ruthless

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Time to get ruthless

We have the spine of a very good side imho and in a Covid season where they can’t even train properly I’m going to cut Ratten some slack he’s added more flair than what we had under cardboard man for 6 years....
BUT the time is now and Ratts has till end next season for mine and what I want to see is a coach who is prepared to make some really tough calls. For example,

Identify what players on the list have currency NOW package them up and trade - Hawks have heaps picks and love a reject or 5....Carlisle, Billings and Membrey - these are never going to stand up when you need them, of course if nothing is offered no deal......but if a semi juicy draft pick or carrot gets thrown......do it.....Gunston? Caldwell??

Tap J Geary - he’s had 200 games done well but it’s time.Tell him next year it’s fill the gaps as kids 5ake preference and if that doesn’t suit him announce retirement but his captain days are done. Anoint Steel.

A Hamill , D Sexton time to go thanks for coming we need fresh approach round footy dept and in the box

Time to mix this side up and I think by moving a few we might also take out that bombing game plan eg move Battle forward as you lead up forward option, allow King his own space to lead into (not together) and rest Marshall etc close to goal one out aka Hawkins. If Butler is constantly tagged move him up to wing on occasion to swap forward with Gresham.

Roberton comes back in with Geary gone but I think we need a 5all Carlisle replacement.....Austin? Clav ? Time to find out
Coffield and Clarke become part of midfield rotations

Midfield trades of Caldwell plus 1 other top liner come in....Bytel and Byrnes get sustained runs of games

Kent Lonie also on scrap heap

If end next season St Kilda are still bombing ball into fwd 50 then Brett Ratten ain’t our man.

Time to get serious the makings of a good side are there,

“Yeah….nah””
SaintDippa
Club Player

Re: Time to get ruthless

Above needs more than one thumbs up.

Hack
Club Player

Well said! Not sure about moving Membrey on though

bigred
Saintsational Legend

+1

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Agree with OP

Membrey not for the tip yet, but he is having the worst season I've ever seen.

I can count 12 decent (13 if Butler) players. it is not a list. They are not all 'A' graders.

So compromise will be rife. We have to present a list. All we can do is top up again. The cream of the Gen Richo will be over 27/28 soon enough. It isn't rebuild.

Desperate. We have thin hair and a definite bald spot.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
seano1
Club Player

Agree but would add in Hind ...did nothing in say last 3-4 outings .....got speed but goes no where .
Very true on coaching panel need fresher ideas and still need a bloody decent big bodied mid and some muscles put on a few of our guys easily pushed around

spert
Saintsational Legend

Membrey and King don't work well together in the forward line- Membrey should be at FF, and not sure how to use King- maybe send him down back.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 12:20am We have the spine of a very good side imho and in a Covid season where they can’t even train properly I’m going to cut Ratten some slack he’s added more flair than what we had under cardboard man for 6 years....
BUT the time is now and Ratts has till end next season for mine and what I want to see is a coach who is prepared to make some really tough calls. For example,

Identify what players on the list have currency NOW package them up and trade - Hawks have heaps picks and love a reject or 5....Carlisle, Billings and Membrey - these are never going to stand up when you need them, of course if nothing is offered no deal......but if a semi juicy draft pick or carrot gets thrown......do it.....Gunston? Caldwell??

Tap J Geary - he’s had 200 games done well but it’s time.Tell him next year it’s fill the gaps as kids 5ake preference and if that doesn’t suit him announce retirement but his captain days are done. Anoint Steel.

A Hamill , D Sexton time to go thanks for coming we need fresh approach round footy dept and in the box

Time to mix this side up and I think by moving a few we might also take out that bombing game plan eg move Battle forward as you lead up forward option, allow King his own space to lead into (not together) and rest Marshall etc close to goal one out aka Hawkins. If Butler is constantly tagged move him up to wing on occasion to swap forward with Gresham.

Roberton comes back in with Geary gone but I think we need a 5all Carlisle replacement.....Austin? Clav ? Time to find out
Coffield and Clarke become part of midfield rotations

Midfield trades of Caldwell plus 1 other top liner come in....Bytel and Byrnes get sustained runs of games

Kent Lonie also on scrap heap

If end next season St Kilda are still bombing ball into fwd 50 then Brett Ratten ain’t our man.

Time to get serious the makings of a good side are there,
Good post Teflon. I pretty much agree with everything you’ve said about each player. If we want to get serious about being contenders some serious calls have to be made.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep, time to cut the plodders.

Start with the C and VC 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintDippa
Club Player

If Clarko came to Moorabbin and repeated starting out at Hawthorn first task is the get to rid of the guys who can't kick under game pressures. There would be a lot of nervous players first session.

spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 9:57am If Clarko came to Moorabbin and repeated starting out at Hawthorn first task is the get to rid of the guys who can't kick under game pressures. There would be a lot of nervous players first session.
Clarko would have to clean out half the list

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Also time for Jarryn Geary to at the very least pass the captaincy on. Looks like the game has gone past him. If he stays on the list surely not as a best 22 player.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

We don't do ruthless. We remember the one time a player did something ok in a winning side and we just wait stubbornly for that anomaly to show up again, but it doesn't. Phillips, Bytel, Langlands are whatever future we have, give them a go before Hind, Kent and Jarryn. When ruthless is needed, like a must win game, we simply become accommodating. Exhibit A, the turnovers last night from unforced errors - that were almost unbelievably dumb - and missed regulation shots. Ruthless implies don't panic, yes?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 11:44am We don't do ruthless. We remember the one time a player did something ok in a winning side and we just wait stubbornly for that anomaly to show up again, but it doesn't. Phillips, Bytel, Langlands are whatever future we have, give them a go before Hind, Kent and Jarryn. When ruthless is needed, like a must win game, we simply become accommodating. Exhibit A, the turnovers last night from unforced errors - that were almost unbelievably dumb - and missed regulation shots. Ruthless implies don't panic, yes?
I tend to agree here and tbh I think this is what holds our club back
We don’t demand excellence we are far to accommodating of mediocrity
I’m really watching Ratten now along with our execs - it’s a really important juncture we are at as we do have some superb spine level capabilities in this side
Marshall - superstar imo
King
Ryder
Steele
Coffield
Clarke
Long (he makes a few errors but his hardness and attack at times has the ability to break open play)
Hill - can use the ball and get you meters must keep
Butler - has been sat on if late because he’s good opp sides know it
Battle - superb
Gresham - gun
Howard

I know I’m missing a couple plus emerging
Bytel
Byrnes
?

And much of the rest calls into
1. Good but not perform when you need them - J Billings as a top 3 pick will never be elite after 7 years
2. Plodders - way to many in this list Kent, Lonie, Geary,

Point is the core is there - what we do next to buil around them is crucial and from Admin down to playing list we have to be bold right now or we risk being a nice little side who on our day can play well...,but not against the big boys
Eff that....I want to be one of the top sides you fear when you play ,,,,I want big boy pants like the Cats have walked around in for the past decade
Become truly professional (not another Melbourne) and get ruthless to bring in A grade talent now

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

All we have is the free agency period, where we compete with the others.

We have 14-15 players good enough.

We won’t be able to bridge that gap in this trade period.
Several of the better among old guard are dropping off.
Ross, Members,
Billings And Sinclair May still makes it.
I don’t know what shape and level Dunsatn will be in in 2021. Will he still be good enough? Roberton was evidentially not.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 11:44am We don't do ruthless. We remember the one time a player did something ok in a winning side and we just wait stubbornly for that anomaly to show up again, but it doesn't. Phillips, Bytel, Langlands are whatever future we have, give them a go before Hind, Kent and Jarryn. When ruthless is needed, like a must win game, we simply become accommodating. Exhibit A, the turnovers last night from unforced errors - that were almost unbelievably dumb - and missed regulation shots. Ruthless implies don't panic, yes?
Agree 100%

Ratten has to do his block...it would actually help if he wasn't always so accommodating.

GWS drop Coniglio...thats ruthless.

Nee!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 12:27pm
I tend to agree here and tbh I think this is what holds our club back
We don’t demand excellence we are far to accommodating of mediocrity
I’m really watching Ratten now along with our execs - it’s a really important juncture we are at as we do have some superb spine level capabilities in this side
Marshall - superstar imo
King
Ryder
Steele
Coffield
Clarke
Long (he makes a few errors but his hardness and attack at times has the ability to break open play)
Hill - can use the ball and get you meters must keep
Butler - has been sat on if late because he’s good opp sides know it
Battle - superb
Gresham - gun
Howard

I know I’m missing a couple plus emerging
Bytel
Byrnes
?

And much of the rest calls into
1. Good but not perform when you need them - J Billings as a top 3 pick will never be elite after 7 years
2. Plodders - way to many in this list Kent, Lonie, Geary,

Point is the core is there - what we do next to buil around them is crucial and from Admin down to playing list we have to be bold right now or we risk being a nice little side who on our day can play well...,but not against the big boys
Eff that....I want to be one of the top sides you fear when you play ,,,,I want big boy pants like the Cats have walked around in for the past decade
Become truly professional (not another Melbourne) and get ruthless to bring in A grade talent now
Agree. Keeping mediocre players because they occasionally do something exciting i.e Kent, ain’t going to bring us much success. Well said that it’s an important juncture for our club. I want to see a bit of c*** from Ratten. Not in a nasty sense, but by signalling at selection and list management that we won’t reward mediocrity any more. All very well to build connection and be warm and fuzzy - have seen plenty of that from Ratten - but I want to see the hard edge now. One that says, “step up or f*** off”.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 12:43pm
Agree 100%

Ratten has to do his block...it would actually help if he wasn't always so accommodating.

Don’t think it’s about doing his block. Just make clear decisions that speak for the pursuit of success. Ruthless, calm and focused is more powerful than demonstrative block losing.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Cold hard light of day and I am so angry regarding the past month of football that we have dished up.

Nothing is surer than losing to GWS this week.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BadRossco
Club Player

Great post Teflon. I believe a measure of where our list sits is that only Marshall, Steele and possibly Hill would get a game at Geelong and at the other end of the scale Kent, Hind, Lonie and Parker would struggle to get a game anywhere else

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 1:16pm
fugazi wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 12:43pm
Agree 100%

Don’t think it’s about doing his block. Just make clear decisions that speak for the pursuit of success. Ruthless, calm and focused is more powerful than demonstrative block losing.
Totally agree I’m expecting after that crap last night where a golden opportunity to lock in finals went begging he’d do his block
What I’m after is at the trade table cold ruthless pursuit of better cattle gone are the days of idolising players we as a club need success

“Yeah….nah””
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I'm talking about letting it rip at half time after that second quarter.

Ratten, rightly, spends most of his time accentuating the positive.

Not unlike a good parent.

But very occasionally Dad has to do his block, demand more and show that he won't tolerate mediocre.

A bash on the magnet board is a good start

Nee!
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Great post Teflon.

Interesting to note that the players worth persisting with are either kids or recent inclusions.

There’s a remaining rump who are not part of the future and need to move on.

In comparative terms, this has already been a reasonably successful season. Probably met reasonable expectations. But we’ll need another couple of trade periods to make top 4.

johnearljames
Club Player

Ratten, Lethlean, Gallagher and Rath want success.

They will definitely cull the deadwood again like last year.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Fri 11 Sep 2020 7:38pm Ratten, Lethlean, Gallagher and Rath want success.

They will definitely cull the deadwood again like last year.
Don’t stop at the list
Our ball movement and forward entry screams poor transition/tactic and it needs to be fixed

“Yeah….nah””