I feel sorry for Max King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I feel sorry for Max King

I really do
In a side with a decent forward entry set up he’d be a star
He’d be given delivery that he could lead into and not have to outmark 2 defenders time and again while the balls kicked on his head
Max will NEVER reach his potential in a side that’s going to deliver the ball inside forward 50 like that
You can see the kids getting to contests and busting his arse but the structure, delivery of the ball inside 50 is atrocious

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: I feel sorry for Max King

Look he was beaten tonight and that’s fair enough...

But the scape goating of him tonight has really irked me.

The disposal to him was REALLY poor as in... predominantly kicked to his opponent’s advantage.

Very plain to see.

Someone in the match thread criticised him for diving at a loose ball and getting beaten.

We had absolutely no prospects of keeping the ball in our F50 today and the opponents of our forward pocket brigade were extremely comfortable playing off them and zoning and it worked a treat.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:15pm Look he was beaten tonight and that’s fair enough...

But the scape goating of him tonight has really irked me.

The disposal to him was REALLY poor as in... predominantly kicked to his opponent’s advantage.

Very plain to see.

Someone in the match thread criticised him for diving at a loose ball and getting beaten.

We had absolutely no prospects of keeping the ball in our F50 today and the opponents of our forward pocket brigade were extremely comfortable playing off them and zoning and it worked a treat.
Agree he was beaten but he ought not be our focal point yr 1 that’s just plain stupid he’s a kid ffs
Poor coaching tonight

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

Max King did not lose this game.

It was lost in 2014 when Tony Elshaug, Ameet Bains and Alan Richardson deliberately overlooked the player they all agreed was the best available and who proved that assessment right in this game.

It made me vomit to see Alan Richardson sitting in the Melbourne coaches box watching Petracca play.
Last edited by ace on Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
johnearljames
Club Player

Still a better option than Josh Bruce.

But King had very ordinary delivery all night. Shocking really.

Its good we are getting games into King. Tonight will make him a better player.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

What a load of garbage. The ball was delivered to him accurately on nearly every occasion. And he dropped them all. No chopping of arms or contact from defenders and they all went past his hands. If he drops absolute sitters how is that the fault of others. SERIOUSLY!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Lonie will be laughing

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Watch Ben play with the cream of Australia’s young midfield talent in front of him - leads out, arms out, hands out .. onto beautifully weighted passes.

Conversely, our absolute fvcking chopper midfielders and wingers bomb the ball onto our King’s head .. Or better still, kick it over his head straight to his opponent.

I hope this new player led review thing will acknowledge that and they go smash each other in the balls for their abject stupidity. All fvcking night.

Ar$ehats.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I remember a Saturday night game years ago and we beat Essendon. It was back when the substitute players were on the bench until the last quarter. My Essendon friends were going nuts to get a young Joe Daniher off because he was doing nothing. I remember thinking don’t be stupid this is how he will learn and get better. Max has to learn and get better. He will. I’d love to be able to go to a game and watch how he leads. Doesn’t get many on the lead. Is he doing enough with double leads and running to the right spot or are we putting it on his head too much. When it is bombed in it doesn’t ever seem to be where he can launch with a run up usually it’s just on his head. If Daniel f***** Andrews hadn’t f***ed things up we could go and watch for ourselves

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

King is completely clueless on how to use his body

Case in point was in the 2nd quarter where the ball was kicked across the front of the goal square to King at the back one out and behind a smaller opponent - all he had to do was use his body to push the smaller defender under the ball and extend his arms however in the end he was lucky to even get a hand on it cause he panicked and couldn't handle the smaller player backing into him

He is way better when he doesn't have time to think about unfortunately the long bombs give him too much time and the defender time as well

He needs another 15kg and needs to toughen up

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:44pm What a load of garbage. The ball was delivered to him accurately on nearly every occasion. And he dropped them all. No chopping of arms or contact from defenders and they all went past his hands. If he drops absolute sitters how is that the fault of others. SERIOUSLY!
Yep. A lot of excuses being offered up for big Maxy. The bottom line is he’s dropping marks that he’s in position to hold. We want him to be a star, we need him to be a star. The reality is he’s a 200+cm kid. What he needs right now is to be made accountable for his performances of late and have a spell

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Yep, gets rubbish delivery most of the time or is expected to take screamers over packs constantly.

The usual trolls will troll, but that’s because they’ve bagged him all year and are desperate clawing for a shred of credibility. 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Max is not ready to be the match winner as we as supporters would have hoped.He will be good how good I don't know & as frustrating as it is to see him get his hands on the ball but fail to grab it is what we have to put up with until he gets the confidence to go to the next level. Tom Hawkins & Josh Kennedy took 2 or 3 years to establish themselves so I hold out hope that Max will deliver

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Moods wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:53pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:44pm What a load of garbage. The ball was delivered to him accurately on nearly every occasion. And he dropped them all. No chopping of arms or contact from defenders and they all went past his hands. If he drops absolute sitters how is that the fault of others. SERIOUSLY!
Yep. A lot of excuses being offered up for big Maxy. The bottom line is he’s dropping marks that he’s in position to hold. We want him to be a star, we need him to be a star. The reality is he’s a 200+cm kid. What he needs right now is to be made accountable for his performances of late and have a spell
And it is just utter and complete garbage to blame the players delivering it too him. At the moment he can't catch a ball wheter it is a high ball or into his chest and it is just laughable to blame the distributors.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:52pm King is completely clueless on how to use his body

Case in point was in the 2nd quarter where the ball was kicked across the front of the goal square to King at the back one out and behind a smaller opponent - all he had to do was use his body to push the smaller defender under the ball and extend his arms however in the end he was lucky to even get a hand on it cause he panicked and couldn't handle the smaller player backing into him

He is way better when he doesn't have time to think about unfortunately the long bombs give him too much time and the defender time as well

The size of his frame was not the reason he dropped marks tonight. The replay will clearly show he has a technical fault, on numerous occasions the ball is passing his hands if it is high ball or it is bouncing out of his chest if it's coming in low. What is that? He has a real problem so let's hope it's fixable.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:50pm Watch Ben play with the cream of Australia’s young midfield talent in front of him - leads out, arms out, hands out .. onto beautifully weighted passes.

Conversely, our absolute fvcking chopper midfielders and wingers bomb the ball onto our King’s head .. Or better still, kick it over his head straight to his opponent.

I hope this new player led review thing will acknowledge that and they go smash each other in the balls for their abject stupidity. All fvcking night.

Ar$ehats.
That’s a really good point
Ben King does get more on the lead
I reckon if we are not careful we’ll stuff Max Kings development
Asking him week in week out to go toe to toe with bigger bodied defenders while we kick it on his head is friggin dumb

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:52pm King is completely clueless on how to use his body

I can’t believe this tripe
King doesn’t have a body - even Richardson said tonight he’s virtually Bambi FFS
He should be instructed to lead up into space and jump he is 200cm and when he jumps with that reach very few will go with him ffs it’s not about he can’t use his body now....he shouldn’t have to if the ball coming in was kicked out in some space for him to lead into
Aka when Sinclair kicked it fat side so Membrey could lead up on it
Honestly stats aren’t helping you

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I feel sorry for us.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:53pm
He gets buffeted off the ball cause he’s just too skinny
FFS look at how ma y contests he’s getting himself into that position on
He ought to be leading up to the ball and jumping not wrestling plugger style for pack grabs and out delivery and coaching style should be helping that
The kid ought to be steak knives this year not our saviour
Right now it’s just about learning
Membrey who missed very gettable goals ought to have his arse kicked
I’d play King Membrey and Battle.....Battle leads up into space and commands the footy that’ll give King some space behind him

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 12:11am I feel sorry for us.
I’m starting to feel sorry for myself...

“Yeah….nah””
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 12:10am

King doesn’t have a body - even Richardson said tonight he’s virtually Bambi FFS
He should be instructed to lead up into space and jump he is 200cm and when he jumps with that reach very few will go with him ffs it’s not about he can’t use his body now....he shouldn’t have to if the ball coming in was kicked out in some space for him to lead into
Not sure we saw King lead once tonight inside the forward 50 so if he is instructed to do it then he clearly isn't following instructions or he has no space to lead into.

Lead comes first ...... then the kick - the Membrey example you put forth is a good one

Another case in point was when Sinclair streamed out of the middle late in the 2nd quarter and not one forward led to him King included and there was ample space to lead up into - no lead so the Sinclair had no option but to put it on King and Marshalls head

I also very clearly said he needs to put on 15 kg because he is too light hence why he struggles with body contact which every forward in the history of the game has had to contend with ...... it's not all leads and roses and poppies cupcake - if King wants to be an all round gun forward then he needs to learn to use his body when caught under the ball - currently it is not a strength due to his lack of strength

So really my post was far from tripe but it sadly seems you can't but help let our previous interactions on other subjects effect your judgement and postings..... you coming across quite irrational

Anyway let it go Elsa ...... let it go ........

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 12:11am I feel sorry for us.
Yeah me too mate but I think it's our role in the AFL / VFL makeup promise so much & deliver so little :cry:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:10pm I really do
He’d be given delivery that he could lead into and not have to outmark 2 defenders time and again while the balls kicked on his head
Max will NEVER reach his potential in a side that’s going to deliver the ball inside forward 50 like that
You can see the kids getting to contests and busting his arse but the structure, delivery of the ball inside 50 is atrocious
Blame the coaching staff, thats their entire go to game plan! No plan B and its being exposed - very poor handling of the kid IMO!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 12:40am
Teflon wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 12:10am

Not sure we saw King lead once tonight inside the forward 50 so if he is instructed to do it then he clearly isn't following instructions or he has no space to lead into.

Lead comes first ...... then the kick - the Membrey example you put forth is a good one

Another case in point was when Sinclair streamed out of the middle late in the 2nd quarter and not one forward led to him King included and there was ample space to lead up into - no lead so the Sinclair had no option but to put it on King and Marshalls head

I also very clearly said he needs to put on 15 kg because he is too light hence why he struggles with body contact which every forward in the history of the game has had to contend with ...... it's not all leads and roses and poppies cupcake - if King wants to be an all round gun forward then he needs to learn to use his body when caught under the ball - currently it is not a strength due to his lack of strength

So really my post was far from tripe but it sadly seems you can't but help let our previous interactions on other subjects effect your judgement and postings..... you coming across quite irrational

Anyway let it go Elsa ...... let it go ........
Sorry Elsa?
Anyhoo
I think the point your missing (again, you miss a few..) is our forwards get many goals 15-20 out so clearly they are being instructed to play closer to goal ....they’re not cows that herd together cause they enjoy each other’s smell..

Think you’ll find that’s why a young King isn’t leading up into the footy cause he’s not being instructed to and the kicker is being told get deep entries
All of which means the balk gets bombed into 50 on Kings head and he doesn’t have the body to play that
You keeping up ?
Now in later years I’d expect to see King play closer to goals and that’s ok not now
I don’t that’s irrational I just think your illogical and that makes it hard for you to stay on topic
But carry on with the cheap childish jibes....but do at least make them mildly amusing or creative as your last crop have been very pedestrian.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 30 Aug 2020 12:48am
Teflon wrote: Sat 29 Aug 2020 11:10pm I really do
Blame the coaching staff, thats their entire go to game plan! No plan B and its being exposed - very poor handling of the kid IMO!
I tend to agree
I’m actually worried about his development playing him this way his confidence must be shot
FFS give him the 3rd best defender and some space to lead into and I think you’d see a different player..,

“Yeah….nah””