Dunstan and Webster edge closer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan and Webster edge closer

https://www.saints.com.au/news/801191/d ... dge-closer

Plus.

"Another Saint who hasn’t given up hope of featuring in 2020 is Hannebery, who has stepped up his running sessions in the past week.

The experienced midfielder is hoping to re-join the Saints in Noosa at the start of September as he continues his recovery from a hamstring tendon injury.

A return date hasn’t yet been set by the club, but there is optimism that Hannebery could be available if the Saints were able to play finals.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan and Webster edge closer

I'd be inclined to play Hanners in a forward role, if he returns. He's excellent at throwing the ball on the boot quickly and snagging a couple of goals. He'll add some forward pressure and intelligence there, and save his body from the rigours of the midfield.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Saint 58
Club Player

I hope Dunstan & Webster get back into the side.
I want to see how they would play & where they would play under Ratten.

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:06pm I'd be inclined to play Hanners in a forward role, if he returns. He's excellent at throwing the ball on the boot quickly and snagging a couple of goals. He'll add some forward pressure and intelligence there, and save his body from the rigours of the midfield.
Good idea.

SunnyErnest
Club Player

Munga wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:06pm I'd be inclined to play Hanners in a forward role, if he returns. He's excellent at throwing the ball on the boot quickly and snagging a couple of goals. He'll add some forward pressure and intelligence there, and save his body from the rigours of the midfield.
Personally I would put him in mothballs for the year however this is not a bad alternative.

Who is StoneCold??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saint 58 wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:25pm I hope Dunstan & Webster get back into the side.
Isn't Webster the forgotten one, it wasn't that long ago he was considered important to our back half. I'd be keen to see how he goes too but it will be tough coming in after not having played at any level for more than a year.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Hannas in the Kent/Parker/Lonie role not a bad idea.
Can genuinely get some midfield time also.

Nee!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:31pm
Saint 58 wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:25pm I hope Dunstan & Webster get back into the side.
Isn't Webster the forgotten one, it wasn't that long ago he was considered important to our back half. I'd be keen to see how he goes too but it will be tough coming in after not having played at any level for more than a year.
I still think he is.
I think if Webster can get back in the team we will see Clark rotate through the midfield.
I think that would be the long term goal.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Secret Kiel
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:37pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 6:31pm
I still think he is.
I think if Webster can get back in the team we will see Clark rotate through the midfield.
I think that would be the long term goal.
I hope you are right as he would be a really handy injection of much needed fresh legs. And wouldn't it be great if he just slotted in where he left off.

I reckon a player coming in like Jimmy would be in fear of blowing up in the first 15 mins.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think Dunstan coming in now to replace Bytel would be ideal, so hopefully he can get back.

No chance for Hannerbry, how could you trust his body straight up in a game, especially if it’s a final?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon Dunstan is important to our structure, we desperately need his grunt in the middle.

Unlike many others I rate Dunstan in our top 10 most important players. With him in the side we may have beaten Brisbane and Fremantle.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 7:34pm Reckon Dunstan is important to our structure, we desperately need his grunt in the middle.

Unlike many others I rate Dunstan in our top 10 most important players. With him in the side we may have beaten Brisbane and Fremantle.
No way will we trade or delist him at years end unless lists are drastically reduced.

s*** teams like the injectors are already linning up to sign him according to the press.

George27
Club Player

It would be great if each of these blokes got back. At the very least , good depth players who could plug a gap if others need rest or are injured. In February I had all 3 in my best 22. Others have stepped up brilliantly , but depth is vital, to give Ratts options.

To the top
SS Life Member

Go thru our defensive players and tell me who Webster replaces?

Clark excels in defence and remains there

Coffield is class and along with Clark will shake this side from the back half

Paton has been the surprise packet and continues to improve, cementing his spot

Long is 10 games into being a defender, has pace, has hardness and has skill As he develops he is actually denying space

So where do the likes of Geary, Webster and McKenzie sit?

Then we have Roberton hopefully pressuring Wilkie

Carlisle and Howard with Austin and Claravino as the back (excuse the pun) ups including succession planning for Carlisle in a couple of years

To the top
SS Life Member

Dunstan would add where we have a deficiency- particularly in the absence of Hannebery and Gresham

Steele means Steele, Ross and Dunstan becomes Ross and Dunstan (with Ross exclusively a “lock down” player so very specific duties)

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 7:34pm Reckon Dunstan is important to our structure, we desperately need his grunt in the middle.

Yup

johnearljames
Club Player

I think Dunstan will be big when he comes in. Hopefully he is keeping match fit as much as possible.

He will be hungry and fresh, same as Webster. Both could add new life to the team.

It would also be nice to get one of Gresh or Hanners for the finals if possible.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:57pm Go thru our defensive players and tell me who Webster replaces?

Long is 10 games into being a defender, has pace, has hardness and has skill As he develops he is actually denying space

Carlisle and Howard with Austin and Claravino as the back (excuse the pun) ups including succession planning for Carlisle in a couple of years
Can't see a spot for him either. Perhaps;
Clark goes midfield.
One of Wilkie, Howard or Carlisle will be injured or suspended? Roberton comes in.
Geary on bench.

Room for Webster. Better than Savage?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
The Barometer
Club Player

No room for Webster, prefer current incumbents. Can see Dunstan playing a part in our midfield now that we have better quality, speed and skill around him.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan pace and spread are sub par as is his accuracy by foot.

He is a contested ball beast and good by hand and protects the ball which are great attributes.

Who does he replace?....we don't want to surrender pace which is what is making us a dangerous side.
Steele Ross and Dunstan in the same side is a little slow.

Nee!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

fugazi wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:41pm Dunstan pace and spread are sub par as is his accuracy by foot.

He is a contested ball beast and good by hand and protects the ball which are great attributes.

Who does he replace?....we don't want to surrender pace which is what is making us a dangerous side.
Spot on. It’s Dunstan for Ross. Our speed and run ‘n’ carry had been a point of difference this year. We can’t go back to being the slow stodgy Saints - it’s so easy to defend against

Go you red, black & white warriors
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure Ratts agrees with you but that was when Hannebery was available. I notice you didn't mention the North game.

Absence seems to make the heart grow fonder.

september_saint

Dunstan, like battle, is made for finals.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

To the top wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:57pm Go thru our defensive players and tell me who Webster replaces?

That's the issue I fear on Jimmy's behalf also. In the time he has been absent the backline has been transformed.

It's a shame becuse he is a very handy player. Bloody COVID hasn't helped his cause. You'd have to think he'll be at another club soon if he can't break back in.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:41pm Dunstan pace and spread are sub par as is his accuracy by foot.

He replaces Bytel for crying out loud. And it's a shame because due to selection restrictions we probably have to carry him for a game or two longer.

The pace issue with those three in the side is a myth. There is a heap of outside pace now, arguably we've gone to far in that direction. If Sebby doesn't quell Neal in Sunday's game we would have been smashed. We need some more extraction and distribution from the hot spots to the abundance of runners.