Paddy McCartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Paddy McCartin

Surely we give him a lifeline if he nominates for the draft.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Paddy McCartin

I don't think we need him, I can't see where he'd fit into the best 22, so he'd be nothing more than depth IMO.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sanctorum
Club Player

That's debatable Curly, not sure that he is either needed or every likely to become the gun forward he never turned out to be when he did play any of his 35 games for the club.

His many serious concussions make him a really risky prospect for any club that drafts him.

Good luck to Paddy but if I were him I would look to be picked up by another club to make a fresh start, and if that succeeds I would never begrudge him that opportunity.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Secret Kiel
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 2:28pm Surely we give him a lifeline if he nominates for the draft.
I have heard he's definitely coming back onto the list.

We'd be mad not too as well it's the right thing to do.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 2:39pm That's debatable Curly, not sure that he is either needed or every likely to become the gun forward he never turned out to be when he did play any of his 35 games for the club.

His many serious concussions make him a really risky prospect for any club that drafts him.

Good luck to Paddy but if I were him I would look to be picked up by another club to make a fresh start, and if that succeeds I would never begrudge him that opportunity.

For a late pick I think it would be silly not to. Imagine if he got picked up late by Sydney and he kicked 50 goals a year.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bigred
Saintsational Legend

but he wont.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
diddley
Club Player

I, for one, would like to see him come back, as long as he is healthy.
I think he would be picked up as a “delisted free agent” costing us nothing but the wages in the salary cap, and a spot on the list.
He might not be best 22 straight away, but geez I would love to see Paddy and Max King line up together in the forward line.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

diddley wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:25pm I, for one, would like to see him come back, as long as he is healthy.
I think he would be picked up as a “delisted free agent” costing us nothing but the wages in the salary cap, and a spot on the list.
He might not be best 22 straight away, but geez I would love to see Paddy and Max King line up together in the forward line.
What about Membrey, Marshall and Battle (both float in and out) then?

I just don't see how he fits into our side, unless there's a bunch of injuries.

Sanctorum
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:26pm
diddley wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:25pm I, for one, would like to see him come back, as long as he is healthy.

I don't either Dud, but for me the big issue is his health.

There are a number of past AFL players who have suffered debilitating after effects from serious head knocks that have had adverse effects on their lives.

Paddy's multiple concussions forced him out of the game 2 years ago, but as these past players have said, the damage can be permanent, so why would anyone in their right mind take any further risks?? What's the point???

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I'm ok if we take him with a later pick. I mean - he was actually a pretty good player in quite a few games he played. I do genuinely think he plays a game-style from a bye-gone era (i.e. stop and prop from the goal square). He's a really good contested mark and is brave as they come. If it cost us little at the draft and cost us minimum chips then - where's the risk? I mean - the alternative is to pick a kid who has about 1% chance of playing many games anyway.

That said - Paddy would be a depth player as King, Membrey and Marshall are great options and all offer something different and have athletic capabilities that I'm not entirely sure Paddy possesses.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:36pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:26pm

I don't either Dud, but for me the big issue is his health.

There are a number of past AFL players who have suffered debilitating after effects from serious head knocks that have had adverse effects on their lives.

Paddy's multiple concussions forced him out of the game 2 years ago, but as these past players have said, the damage can be permanent, so why would anyone in their right mind take any further risks?? What's the point???
Yep the health is also an issue I doubt he'll ever get over.

IMO he'd need to play a full season in the 2s before anyone could have any confidence in his body and him making it through a game, and that's to do with both the concussions and diabetes.

I'd rather take a stab at another mid in the draft, as that's the position we need to fill now.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

The club has already assured Paddy he will be reselected providing he is fit to do so.

The timing has worked out perfectly as late picks will be purely speculative given there's been no TAC Cup or VFL in 2020.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:53pm The club has already assured Paddy he will be reselected providing he is fit to do so.

The timing has worked out perfectly as late picks will be purely speculative given there's been no TAC Cup or VFL in 2020.
How do you know this?
Last edited by skeptic on Wed 19 Aug 2020 4:42pm, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 2:28pm Surely we give him a lifeline if he nominates for the draft.
No f---ing way.
Good riddance.
Don't need a concussed list clogger too stupid to understand he is uninsurable.
Any club playing him will eventually pay millions.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 2:53pm
I have heard he's definitely coming back onto the list.

We'd be mad not too as well it's the right thing to do.
Seems stupidity it starts with you.

<1 day ban for commenting negatively on another poster>

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 3:06pm For a late pick I think it would be silly not to. Imagine if he got picked up late by Sydney and he kicked 50 goals a year.
It would the biggest comeback since Lazarus if he did. It would be a great fresh start for him at another club, but I’d be very surprised if anyone picks him up.

If we did, it would be out of a sense of duty.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

My concern is for his well being.

And it also comes down to a liability issue for the AFL.

Nothing is surer than Paddy knocking himself out again.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

The club won't pick him against his will!!! Don't make it seem like St Kilda are forcing him to play.

If Paddy is healthy and confident and wants to give it another crack, I'd certainly prefer that to be with us than at another club.

But if he's not, he wont be in the draft. The AFL wont publicly say they've banned him from nominating, but he'll opt out, and pop up with a sweet "AFL Development" job down the line, and his missus will get a gig on some Channel Seven show as well.

Do we really lose that much if it's Paddy in spot 45 on the list or Jack Mayo, or Alabakis, or Joyce??

Winmar7
Club Player

I'm a romantic and love the idea of Paddy continuing with us. Imagine him and King in the forward line with Membrey floating around at the top of the 50. Our other Paddy won't be around forever, and Marshall will eventually play mostly ruck. If he's right we'd be mad not to take him.

Leo.J
SS Life Member

He’d have to play like Tim Membrey or Jack Reiwoldt to get a game. Not sure he’s up to being that mobile.

He’s 194cm, he’d have to weigh around 90-94kg to be able to play that role.

And most importantly he’ll have to find someone to insure him.

I reckon Richo ruined him with his crashing of packs (head first), and being ‘strong in the contest’. With some decent coaching he may be able to stay safe. Launching at the ball into the contest is different to what I reckon he was taught by Cho.

If he can get fit and insured, he’d have 5 years in him, I’d love to see Paddy back...unfortunately I’m not sure it’ll happen.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Geeeeeeez.... you'd want him signing a waiver before every match. Even then, he would get head knocks just at training! Massive financial risk down the track. 10 years ago it would be fine. It would be great to have him on the rookie list, but he WILL get knocked again, guaranteed. Then what?

Unfortunately, maybe an off field role would suit better. But if he can play VFL for a season and prove he can protect his head and not get knocked out, clubs would be open to him returning to AFL.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
ace
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote: Wed 19 Aug 2020 4:54pm My concern is for his well being.

And it also comes down to a liability issue for the AFL.

Nothing is surer than Paddy knocking himself out again.
Absolutely not a matter of if, but a matter of when.
What then ?
Stop the nonsense now before it happens.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It will certainly be a feel good story if this was to happen. I'm at the point now where the only feel good story starts and ends with the club's 2nd premiership.

I'm not convinced he's one of the missing pieces to make that happen.

However if he was on our list and Melbourne wished to trade up to a #1 pick by offering us the player that went #2, then yes!

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

No. It would be aiding and abetting a delusion

Nee!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Once bitten twice shy - no thanks!