Robbo on Steele

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Robbo on Steele

something right for a big change

heraldsun.com.au

"4 COULD JACK STEELE BE THE MVP?

He’s not the best player in terms of winning matches off his own boot, but he is one of the most valuable players at performing important roles. Steele helped keep Port Adelaide’s Travis Boak quiet after quarter-time on Saturday night in a match that went a long way to St Kilda announcing itself as a strong finals contender. Steele is an inside mid who wins his own ball and quietens the opposition’s best midfielder. His opponents this year have been Ben Cunnington, Marcus Bontempelli, Taylor Adams, Trent Cotchin, Patrick Cripps, Nat Fyfe, Matt Crouch and, on Saturday night, Boak and Dan Houston. Saints coach Brett Ratten would have been satisfied with every outcome. Steele is ranked in the top four in the AFL for pressure acts and tackles — two elements that have consumed the AFL this season, like it or not. He is also in the top 20 for the contested ball and clearances. He was second in the coaches’ award going into Round 8 and he will poll again — behind ruckmen Patrick Ryder and Rowan Marshall, of course.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 27 Jul 2020 11:31am, edited 1 time in total.

oldie60
Club Player

Re: Rpbbo on Steele

If you had a lazy dollar would back him for a Brownlow.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rpbbo on Steele

oldie60 wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 11:30am If you had a lazy dollar would back him for a Brownlow.
Definitely worth a punt

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Re: Robbo on Steele

He’s paying $51 on sportsbet

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 11:23am
opponents this year have been Ben Cunnington, Marcus Bontempelli, Taylor Adams, Trent Cotchin, Patrick Cripps, Nat Fyfe, Matt Crouch and, on Saturday night, Boak and Dan Houston.
Taylor Adams and Cunnington (after 1/2 time) are the only ones who've beaten him fair and square. Fyfe is a no result - he spent most of the 2nd half at FF and was clearly injured.

Each of the rest Jack has absolutely monstered his target. And we've won all of those games.

I've been spewing for years that pretty much since Lenny retired that our midfield is comfortably the worst starting 4 in the history of the modern AFL (even Jack S was a solid B grader with great burst speed but average kicking skills) and that not one of them would get a game in an opposition starting 4. But now we have one. There's very very few midfields that wouldn't want to have Jack Steele as part of their starting 4. Funnily enough - he's exactly what GWS need to compliment their outside class.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 12:01pm
saynta wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 11:23am
opponents this year have been Ben Cunnington, Marcus Bontempelli, Taylor Adams, Trent Cotchin, Patrick Cripps, Nat Fyfe, Matt Crouch and, on Saturday night, Boak and Dan Houston.
Taylor Adams and Cunnington (after 1/2 time) are the only ones who've beaten him fair and square. Fyfe is a no result - he spent most of the 2nd half at FF and was clearly injured.

Each of the rest Jack has absolutely monstered his target. And we've won all of those games.

I've been spewing for years that pretty much since Lenny retired that our midfield is comfortably the worst starting 4 in the history of the modern AFL (even Jack S was a solid B grader with great burst speed but average kicking skills) and that not one of them would get a game in an opposition starting 4. But now we have one. There's very very few midfields that wouldn't want to have Jack Steele as part of their starting 4. Funnily enough - he's exactly what GWS need to compliment their outside class.
Yeah. Agree with that. Thought that Cunnington smashed us Rd 1 though and was instrumental in them winning that game. Taylor Adams was also very dominant. I can accept that though. He's going head to head with the very best in the comp, ie Patty Cripps who I think he shaded in the contest. Either way he's an incredible asset to our team at the moment and a probable captain after Geary finishes up.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

He's my first picked mid

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
stkfc1
Club Player

Becoming a very very good footballer. I wouldnt have him as an A grader ( Fyfe, Cripps, Pendelbury etc) just yet but he's very close. First picked every week. Future Captain IMO.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The umpires "see" some players.
They poll votes.
Other players are invisible to the umpires.
Steele is one of these.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Future Captain IMO.
yep

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

asiu wrote: Wed 29 Jul 2020 1:29pm
Future Captain IMO.
yep
Next week?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

Gears is HIGHLYrated within the walls
as i understand it

so unless he’s injured
post this years Premiership i reckon.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.