The new look backline (they can all kick)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

The new look backline (they can all kick)

The difference in the backline to the last three seasons is chalk and cheese.

The beauty is they are now all very good by foot, Clark, Coffield, Paton, Carslile, Howard, Battle, Wilkie & Long. You are more than comfortable when the ball is in their hands that a good decision will be made and a target hit.

Too often Geary was the go to man out of the back half and as much as I am a fan of the Skipper, I'd rather see the ball in the hands of any of the above coming of half back than Geary, McKenzie or even Savage & Webster.

Wilkie is a revelation, he quietly touched up one of the competition superstars on the weekend who on paper looked to quick, nimble and skillful a match up, he is the modern day Max Hudgton with better foot skills. More coaches votes for Wilkie me thinks!

Nate Brown filled his role as negator, but Howard offers a who new dimension, he's big, quick, courageous, athletic and a competitor. He could be AA in the next two years if he continues this development.

Even when out-marked a couple of times by Dixon he was in the contest and dirty at getting beaten.
Also see him directing traffic to the other backs and looks like a leader, would not be surprised to see him in the leadership group next season.

Coffield and Clark are class, Long the hard edge and freakish skill factor and Paton the solid skilled blue collar worker, Wilkie the no frills reliable guy who gets the job done with two quality talls as well.

Regardless of deficiencies in the middle, I would not be moving Clark this season other than short bursts.
Leave him where he is as his confidence sky rockets.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: The new look backline (they can all kick)

I am glad to read that.

You have to wonder what happened seasons end 2019 when Sydney smashed us in the second half.
Franklin kicked four. Nate Brown was playing on him.
McCartin a few...who played on him? Carlisle?
Papley 2...same question.

Savage (who I am led to believe is a wonderful kick) played, Webster played, and this was the Sam Rowe honorary game. I presume he played back. But they were farewelling a couple of their greats in Kerin Jack and McVeigh. We obliged them in the fairytale department.

We were level at half-time would you believe. Totally wiped out in the second half.

https://www.zerohanger.com/fulltime-syd ... 455-33636/

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Love Patton and Coffields overhead work too.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Patton is really beginning to grow on me.

Good skills and excellent OP.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
stkfc1
Club Player

Paton has won me over last few weeks. He reads the play really well, excellent mark for his size and always takes the right option and a reliable kick. Id like to see a bit more attack from him but that will come. Coffield on the other hand is starting to take games on, he'll make some mistakes but it's worth it. Wilkie is just a dead set gun defender as is Carlisle and Howard. I think Clark will go into the midfield, he's just too good not too, but I'd want to find his replacement. Maybe it's just a matter of rotating players through there.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Speed and skill. That seems to be the prerequisite. Coughing it up in the back half has had me ripping my hair out for decades. This is the first time ( assuming Geary stays out of there) that we've had six defenders who can kick. It makes a massive difference. It's not only saving us goals kicked against us, but giving us opportunity to create more of them for ourselves.

Sent from my LM-X520 using Tapatalk

To the top
SS Life Member

You build Premiership sides from the back in my experience

We are now playing the back 6 I have been promoting - albeit Patton has come from the clouds to join Coffield, Clark and Long

I don’t know where Roberton is at this juncture but in the normal course Wilkie keeping Roberton out is its own statement

Then we have Austin and Claravino

Howard is everything my PA sources spoke to

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Top ten kicking effiency, all defenders make the list!

1. Wilkie 88.9%
2. Coffield 84.1%
3. Geary 81.8%
4. Sinclair 80%
5. Carlisle 78%
6. Long 77.5%
7. Howard 75.8%
8. Paton 73.4%
9. Battle 72.4%
10. Roberton 71.4%

Clark comes in at 12 which is surprising, but he spends time up the ground and his kicks seem more wow and damaging.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Munga wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 4:25pm Top ten kicking effiency, all defenders make the list!

1. Wilkie 88.9%
2. Coffield 84.1%
3. Geary 81.8%
4. Sinclair 80%
5. Carlisle 78%
6. Long 77.5%
7. Howard 75.8%
8. Paton 73.4%
9. Battle 72.4%
10. Roberton 71.4%

Clark comes in at 12 which is surprising, but he spends time up the ground and his kicks seem more wow and damaging.
Clark will take the game on a lot more than the other backmen.
Also not to be negative because that's not what I intend but we do love a good switch in the backline, which will always boost the Kicking efficiency percentages.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes I am loving our new backline.

And while Geary is used for specific negating match ups both forward and back with all the others we have a pool of players who can all play on for many years yet. And they are just going to get better and better as they play together more.

Also you know that we have talent down back when a player as good as Robbo is not getting a look in. And Robbo is both and attacking and negating player.

Even if Clark moves into the midfield, we still have ample quality for down back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vazelos
Club Player

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 10:48am The difference in the backline to the last three seasons is chalk and cheese.

The beauty is they are now all very good by foot, Clark, Coffield, Paton, Carslile, Howard, Battle, Wilkie & Long. You are more than comfortable when the ball is in their hands that a good decision will be made and a target hit.

Too often Geary was the go to man out of the back half and as much as I am a fan of the Skipper, I'd rather see the ball in the hands of any of the above coming of half back than Geary, McKenzie or even Savage & Webster.

Wilkie is a revelation, he quietly touched up one of the competition superstars on the weekend who on paper looked to quick, nimble and skillful a match up, he is the modern day Max Hudgton with better foot skills. More coaches votes for Wilkie me thinks!

Nate Brown filled his role as negator, but Howard offers a who new dimension, he's big, quick, courageous, athletic and a competitor. He could be AA in the next two years if he continues this development.

Even when out-marked a couple of times by Dixon he was in the contest and dirty at getting beaten.
Also see him directing traffic to the other backs and looks like a leader, would not be surprised to see him in the leadership group next season.

Coffield and Clark are class, Long the hard edge and freakish skill factor and Paton the solid skilled blue collar worker, Wilkie the no frills reliable guy who gets the job done with two quality talls as well.

Regardless of deficiencies in the middle, I would not be moving Clark this season other than short bursts.
Leave him where he is as his confidence sky rockets.
Excellent Summary you are on the ball with your observations.

Sanctorum
Club Player

I second that Vazelos, Joffa has nailed it. This is by far the best back 6 that St Kilda have had for as long as I can remember, even in the glory years of late 90s and 2009/2011, so probably best ever!

It's a real credit to the club's football department and coaches the way they have developed the list and upskilled the younger blokes. Both Ben Paton and Ben Long have been revelations, Nick Coffield is a star in the making, Howard and Wilkie rock solid and even Jake Carlisle is starting to get back to good form.

Hunter Clark in my view is going to be playing through the midfield in the long term, which opens up an opportunity for Ed Phillips to slot into the team down back.

By these reckonings it means that some of the "old hands" Roberton, Webster, Savage and Geary are unlikely to feature in 2021 onwards.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
ace
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 11:13am Love Patton and Coffields overhead work too.
A bit better overhead than Gilbert McAdam.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 6:35pm I second that Vazelos, Joffa has nailed it. This is by far the best back 6 that St Kilda have had for as long as I can remember, even in the glory years of late 90s and 2009/2011, so probably best ever!

It's a real credit to the club's football department and coaches the way they have developed the list and upskilled the younger blokes. Both Ben Paton and Ben Long have been revelations, Nick Coffield is a star in the making, Howard and Wilkie rock solid and even Jake Carlisle is starting to get back to good form.

Hunter Clark in my view is going to be playing through the midfield in the long term, which opens up an opportunity for Ed Phillips to slot into the team down back.

By these reckonings it means that some of the "old hands" Roberton, Webster, Savage and Geary are unlikely to feature in 2021 onwards.
Roberton worked his ring off in the backline for years.
But for his health's sake, as well as team balance, he's better off on the sidelines, sadly.
'Prefer others' in racing parlance.
Others have grabbed their chance.

Webster is a brave warrior, who can forget when he went back with the flight n got cleaned up in a great spoil. Everyone got around him. But Paton, Coffield, etc have grabbed the spots.

Savage has been loyal, hard working and valuable. But I can't see him crow-barring anybody out of the back 6.

Geary? I won't comment because I've been against him for ages anyway.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
ace
Saintsational Legend

I have no problem with Savage kicking but McKenzie and Webster are butchers.
Ratten has said he hates butchers.
These two are probably available to trade.
Here you go Carlton, they will look good with Newnes in a losing team.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

They say Defence wins Championships - we just need a few more midfielders now

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 6:35pm
This is by far the best back 6 that St Kilda have had for as long as I can remember, even in the glory years of late 90s and 2009/2011, so probably best ever!
Big call given our defensive performance in 2009.

Under Lyon the Saints had the best defensive season in 50 years of any team, averaging 63 points against.

We had a pretty good backline with players like Baker, Gilbert, Fisher, Blake, Goddard, Hudghton, Gram, Dawson.

Sorry to be a party pooper but they were very good and while the current team looks pretty good, they still have a lot to prove.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 8:39pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 27 Jul 2020 6:35pm
This is by far the best back 6 that St Kilda have had for as long as I can remember, even in the glory years of late 90s and 2009/2011, so probably best ever!
Big call given our defensive performance in 2009.

Under Lyon the Saints had the best defensive season in 50 years of any team, averaging 63 points against.

We had a pretty good backline with players like Baker, Gilbert, Fisher, Blake, Goddard, Hudghton, Gram, Dawson.

Sorry to be a party pooper but they were very good and while the current team looks pretty good, they still have a lot to prove.
thank you and exactly

for goodness sake comparing this back line to the 09/10 one is ridiculous, yes history may show otherwise but right now...no

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights