Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Seb Ross

Assuming he isn't carrying an injury, he seems to be very out of form, his effort looks ok but as he isn't quick he is suffering from the shorter qtrs. where his endurance would see him continue to run at a high ( not elite) speed all game and late in qtrs. be important.

I would send him to Boak on Saturday night as a tag. Take pressure off him and let Boak take him to the contest.

Against Port we need strong bodies at the contest - Boak, Gray, Wines, Powell Pepper big bodied players.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross

His best is clearly good enough and I’m loathe to drop him but a player of his caliber and experience can’t go around getting almost the same number of kicks as the debutant.

And a dinky tap or two that leads to a goal assist doesn’t cut it.
He’s in the team to essentially do what Steele is doing... even if not that good, he needs to be in the ball park.

Don’t know what the answer is but he can’t stay in the team playing like that

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:28am His best is clearly good enough and I’m loathe to drop him but a player of his caliber and experience can’t go around getting almost the same number of kicks as the debutant.

And a dinky tap or two that leads to a goal assist doesn’t cut it.
He’s in the team to essentially do what Steele is doing... even if not that good, he needs to be in the ball park.

Don’t know what the answer is but he can’t stay in the team playing like that
Who knows but, it can't keep going the way it is. Poor last week with zero leadership when the tide turned and next to nothing last night. Seb had a crack at the in n under stuff early but, he's largely ineffectual at the moment. I've never particularly enjoyed the way he plays but, if nothing else - he always accumulated a ton of possession - one of those guys who couldn't get out of the way of it. But now, it's not even that.

I'm sure there'll be the usual defenders of him on here but, not sure what the point of continuing to do the same thing over and over. And I don't by this credits in the bank thing either - I mean .. Roughy had a gazillion credits in the bank at Hawthorn yet, when it became better for the team - he went back to Box Hill.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Directly responsible for two goals. Brilliant tap to Butler and a lightening quick handpass to Howard for his first. A couple of strong tackles to boot. He earned his place despite some attempts to belittle his efforts.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:47am Directly responsible for two goals. Brilliant tap to Butler and a lightening quick handpass to Howard for his first. A couple of strong tackles to boot. He earned his place despite some attempts to belittle his efforts.
Did you not read above? No one is disputing the tap to Butler - it was brilliant. He had a 2 on 1 and made it happen. Or the bullet to Howard - terrific. But - he's a full time mid ... 100% time on ball ... and he's dished up 22 possessions in his last 8 quarters. That's less than 3 possessions a quarter. The 1st gamer had half his possession count last night FFS.

Yes - Seb's having a go but, his output for a senior experienced player is rubbish and your bizarre, blind defence of his output is just embarrassing for you.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Come on Saynta... you’re being ridiculous

2 taps is not what he’s on the team for. He’s a ball winner, the taps, pressuring, tackles are expectations in addition to his core duties

I get that you like him but surely even you have to admit that that performance last is well below expectations and certainly below what he is capable of

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 11:08am
saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 10:47am Directly responsible for two goals. Brilliant tap to Butler and a lightening quick handpass to Howard for his first. A couple of strong tackles to boot. He earned his place despite some attempts to belittle his efforts.
Did you not read above? No one is disputing the tap to Butler - it was brilliant. He had a 2 on 1 and made it happen. Or the bullet to Howard - terrific. But - he's a full time mid ... 100% time on ball ... and he's dished up 22 possessions in his last 8 quarters. That's less than 3 possessions a quarter. The 1st gamer had half his possession count last night FFS.

Yes - Seb's having a go but, his output for a senior experienced player is rubbish and your bizarre, blind defence of his output is just embarrassing for you.
Not how I see it. What is embarrassing is the concerted attempts to denigrate our vice captain each and every week....embarrassing for you guys that is.

If I hadn't posted it, his two brilliant goal assists would not have got a mention on this forum.

And for the record he is spending no where near 100% on the ball. Did you even watch the game?

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

skeptic wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 11:08am Come on Saynta... you’re being ridiculous

2 taps is not what he’s on the team for. He’s a ball winner, the taps, pressuring, tackles are expectations in addition to his core duties

I get that you like him but surely even you have to admit that that performance last is well below expectations and certainly below what he is capable of
Good luck with that ... :roll:

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 11:12am

Not how I see it. What is embarrassing is the concerted attempts to denigrate our vice captain each and every week....embarrassing for you guys that is.

If I hadn't posted it, his two brilliant goal assists would not have got a mention on this forum.

And for the record he is spending no where near 100% on the ball. Did you even watch the game?
Cannot you not read or did you purposely not read Skeptic mention of the two dinky taps above? Like I said - you're blind. And yes, I watched it all. And again this morning. Tell me where Seb's playing his footy then if it's not on ball. This part is going to be fun ...

PS - No one is denigrating the vice captain for sh!ts and giggles - it's simply calling out a bloke who's either fallen off the cliff or at best - out of form. Either way - I hope he gets it together really soon - for the team's sake - when you haven't got a great midfield to start, you can't carry a passenger ... especially an experienced one.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 11:19am

Cannot you not read or did you purposely not read Skeptic mention of the two dinky taps above? Like I said - you're blind. And yes, I watched it all. And again this morning. Tell me where Seb's playing his footy then if it's not on ball. This part is going to be fun ...

PS - No one is denigrating the vice captain for sh!ts and giggles - it's simply calling out a bloke who's either fallen off the cliff or at best - out of form. Either way - I hope he gets it together really soon - for the team's sake - when you haven't got a great midfield to start, you can't carry a passenger ... especially an experienced one.
You are the one that can't read. That poster, who I never reply to, only mentioned that , in a derogatory way I might add, because of a post of mine in another thread. If you are going to continue with personal attacks on me, I will ignore you. For the record, I have never been embarrassed by anything I have posted here so stop with the bulls***, it has no effect on me whatsoever.

All I know is that Seb will get picked again next week, unless he is injured, despite repeated calls from the uneducated in this forum.

Yes there were passengers last night, but Seb wasn't one of them. He did his bit.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I guess some people have their hill and are willing to die on it, no matter what the evidence!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

What is embarrassing is the concerted attempts to denigrate our vice captain each and every week....embarrassing for you guys that is.
We must demand more from our leaders. We have missed finals for way too long.

In 2017 we had the coach playing Rooy when he was hobbling on one leg. Let’s not make the same mistakes or will continue to be a bottom 6 team. We won’t grow and improve as a team if we have passengers just turning up for a paycheque.

Sebby has credits in the bank, but he has to start busting his guts on the training track and bust his guts in games to stay relevant. Anyone can get handball receives that turn into 10 easy disposals. Sebby needs to win plenty of footy or negate their best players or we try others in the middle.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

These conversations are very reminiscent of the 2000 team... remember these names
Tony Delaney
Jason Trianedes
Gavin Mitchell
Tim Elliot
Justin Plapp
Steven Sziller
Chad Davis

All of them with regularity did one or two good things a match but on the whole, were very average.
It’s not enough to just do a few nice things

Secret Kiel
Club Player

I think Sebby's standing at our club is symbolic of the lack of accountability at the top echelons. I mean who thoguht it was a great idea to gift him 2 x TB awards.

I've been to a couple of training sessions so I know what I'm talking about.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 1:31pm I think Sebby's standing at our club is symbolic of the lack of accountability at the top echelons. I mean who thoguht it was a great idea to gift him 2 x TB awards.

Didn't you just use another version of of that shite line on another thread? Still weird. Presume you didn't watch the game last night. Again.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 1:36pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 1:31pm I think Sebby's standing at our club is symbolic of the lack of accountability at the top echelons. I mean who thoguht it was a great idea to gift him 2 x TB awards.

Didn't you just use another version of of that shite line on another thread? Still weird. Presume you didn't watch the game last night. Again.
I didn't watch it and I'll bet I know just as much about the game as you. I've been to a couple of training sessions lately and haven't seen you around.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Utterly disgraceful comment and no, you obviously haven't a f****** clue what you are talking about...imhfo, that is. :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 12:17pm
What is embarrassing is the concerted attempts to denigrate our vice captain each and every week....embarrassing for you guys that is.
We must demand more from our leaders. We have missed finals for way too long.

In 2017 we had the coach playing Rooy when he was hobbling on one leg. Let’s not make the same mistakes or will continue to be a bottom 6 team. We won’t grow and improve as a team if we have passengers just turning up for a paycheque.

Sebby has credits in the bank, but he has to start busting his guts on the training track and bust his guts in games to stay relevant. Anyone can get handball receives that turn into 10 easy disposals. Sebby needs to win plenty of footy or negate their best players or we try others in the middle.
Hard to disagree with your comments.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 2:55pm

Utterly disgraceful comment and no, you obviously haven't a f****** clue what you are talking about...imhfo, that is. :roll:
Sarcasm alert saynta...

I think he’s trying to say that Seb earnt his medals and no one is gifted a best and fairest..let alone 2 of them.

Sebby was a contributor on the night but it’s interesting that when the game was there to be won in the last that Steele was in the middle with Jade and Zac. Ryder was also preferred and Paddy did a brilliant job with a few of his tap outs. They went to our advantage most times in the last quarter and Jack and Zac had a good understanding with Gresh who was very elusive

I love the fact that Ratts is challenging each player and as long as they all contribute and buy in, we’re on the right path

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:11pm

Sarcasm alert saynta...

I think he’s trying to say that Seb earnt his medals and no one is gifted a best and fairest..let alone 2 of them.

Sebby was a contributor on the night but it’s interesting that when the game was there to be won in the last that Steele was in the middle with Jade and Zac. Ryder was also preferred and Paddy did a brilliant job with a few of his tap outs. They went to our advantage most times in the last quarter and Jack and Zac had a good understanding with Gresh who was very elusive

I love the fact that Ratts is challenging each player and as long as they all contribute and buy in, we’re on the right path
I doubt that SK would even know how to spell sarcasm , if the truth be known. But the again....

Your comments re last quarter are telling.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sorry. I should have used the smart arse sarcasim emoji. Anyone that calls for Sebby to be dropped in the full strength comp is clueless but to call for his dropping in a pandemic year is embarrassing. It's the same posters who call for a 3rd of the team to be dropped and replaced by Bytel and Byrnes. Can you believe there are even posters who believe Byrnes is a much better option than Sebby and Dunny. Good on you for know your stuff.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:33pm

Sarcasm alert saynta...

I doubt that SK would even know how to spell sarcasm , if the truth be known. But the again....

Pure gold! Turns out you were spot on Saynta.
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:34pm Sorry. I should have used the smart arse sarcasim emoji.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 4:42pm

Sarcasm alert saynta...

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:34pm Sorry. I should have used the smart arse sarcasim emoji.
It's like fishing without bait.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 5:08pm
Ghost Like wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 4:42pm

Sarcasm alert saynta...

It's like fishing without bait.
:wink: :D :)

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 21 Jul 2020 3:34pm

Sorry. I should have used the smart arse sarcasim emoji. Anyone that calls for Sebby to be dropped in the full strength comp is clueless but to call for his dropping in a pandemic year is embarrassing. It's the same posters who call for a 3rd of the team to be dropped and replaced by Bytel and Byrnes. Can you believe there are even posters who believe Byrnes is a much better option than Sebby and Dunny. Good on you for know your stuff.
Did you watch the game? What did you think of Seb's performance, especially compared to the rest of the midfielders?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.