Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Peanut
Club Player

Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

Indigenous AFL legend, Nicky Winmar and photographer Wayne Ludbey are reportedly suing former TV identity, Sam Newman and the co-hosts' of his podcast series, for their attempt to rewrite Winmar’s iconic stand against racism.

According to ESPN, both Winmar and Ludbey are taking legal issue with comments made by Newman, former Hawthorn player, Don Scott and sports journalist Mike Sheahan, who claimed Winmar’s iconic point to his skin in 1993 was not about race.

On their latest episode of You Cannot Be Serious, all three hosts questioned the authenticity of Winmar’s gesture towards racist taunts from a Collingwood crowd at Victoria Park, and instead, suggested he was pointing at his stomach to say what a “gutsy” effort it was from St Kilda.

“I was at that game at Collingwood. I think there was a misrepresentation here,” said Scott.

“Maybe Nicky's dining out on it now about lifting his jumper because I reported on that game at Collingwood.

“St Kilda played Collingwood and my recollection was that St Kilda won and Nicky lifted his jumper saying 'That was a gutsy effort. We have got heart'. Now it's been misconstrued.”

READ MORE: https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/202 ... XV7VzuSywo

happy feet
Club Player

Re: Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

Go your hardest Nicky. You find Eddie Ego will be up to his eyeballs in this due to the ongoing Collingwood racist claims. Why else would this be in the media at this time.

Stand proud Nicky, Newman, Scott and Collingwood are a disgrace.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
mcadam05
Club Player

Re: Nicky Winmar suing Sam Newman and co-hosts for attempt to revise historical moment

Sorry if someone has an opinion you don't agree with , what you just take them too court

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:38pm Go your hardest Nicky. You find Eddie Ego will be up to his eyeballs in this due to the ongoing Collingwood racist claims. Why else would this be in the media at this time.

Quite possibly happy feet. Interestingly this should all be on public record immediately following the game & the weeks after.

I was at that game with friends from Mauritius who are mad St Kilda supporters. What they copped during the game was disgraceful, it was enough to make my wife stop supporting Collingwood and begin a long fervent support of St Kilda. The crowd was feral!

That said, I believe Nicky's gesture at the time was about the guts shown in front of a ridiculously hostile crowd. Highly likely brought on by a racist crowd but I believe he did reference guts, not colour in the aftermath.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:38pm Go your hardest Nicky. You find Eddie Ego will be up to his eyeballs in this due to the ongoing Collingwood racist claims. Why else would this be in the media at this time.

You raise an intersting observation to which I add another interesting question, and that is, how do you get some free advertising for a podcast hosted by Sheahan, Newman and Scott.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:58pm

That said, I believe Nicky's gesture at the time was about the guts shown in front of a ridiculously hostile crowd. Highly likely brought on by a racist crowd but I believe he did reference guts, not colour in the aftermath.
WTF?

happy feet
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:24pm

WTF?
If that was the case, why the Court action. Don’t try to white wash it. It was a stand against racism. Who do you stand with? I stand with Nicky.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
mcadam05
Club Player

happy feet wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:34pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:24pm

WTF?
If that was the case, why the Court action. Don’t try to white wash it. It was a stand against racism. Who do you stand with? I stand with Nicky.
What law has been broken ???

BarryGrogan
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:49pm

Firstly, you need to read beyond the headline.

No one has sued anyone.

The reason for Winmar and Ludbey engaging lawyers, appears to be that they feel they're being accused of lying, and deceptive conduct.

To state, or even suggest that Winmar is 'dining off it' and has basically lied for financial gain - is pretty slanderous.

Shaggy
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 8:57pm Sorry if someone has an opinion you don't agree with , what you just take them too court
You can have an opinion about how some-one is feeling but it is pure speculation. Only the person with the feelings really knows.

Scott can apologise and admit he has no idea how Nicky felt at the time and it will all go away.

sendmehomehappy
Club Player

So if the point Nicky was making was to be about a gutsy effort, StKilda has heart etc...why would he not just stab at his gut with his finger, but with the jumper down?

PS: I was at the game too, and the Collingwood supporters' racial abuse was horrific.

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

White rich people have always felt that blacks should know their place, pull their heads in, and take on the criticism as feedback and an opportunity to improve themselves and act like us whites.

We all know that whites are more human. How could the savages even understand what they were feeling?

Blacks should understand by now (after 200 years of the master-servant relationship) that whites are smarter and therefore these whites are obviously more entitled to their opinion even if it is a blatant lie

The good thing is that I believe the racist majority ( and older generation boomers like Newman) only have a limited time here on earth
Most of these blokes didn’t have a black fella or chinaman or curry or arab bloke share a desk next to them at Grammar school...unlike the younger generation in the last 20-30 years here in Australia

I also have faith in the younger generation and believe they’ll have different attitudes to their great grand fathers and their ancestors and they will dominate our media, our corporate sectors, and our parliaments.
Last edited by Scollop on Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcadam05
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:22pm White rich people have always felt that blacks should know their place, pull their heads in, and take on the criticism as feedback and an opportunity to improve themselves and act like us whites.

We all know that whites are more human. How could the savages even understand what they were feeling?

Blacks should understand by now (after 200 years of the master-servant relationship) that whites are smarter and therefore these whites are obviously more entitled to their opinion even if it is a blatant lie

The good thing is that I believe the racist majority only have a limited time here in Australia before the younger generation and future generations dominate our media, our corporate sectors, and our parliaments.
Just Wow

mcadam05
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:55pm

No one has sued anyone.

The reason for Winmar and Ludbey engaging lawyers, appears to be that they feel they're being accused of lying, and deceptive conduct.

To state, or even suggest that Winmar is 'dining off it' and has basically lied for financial gain - is pretty slanderous.
Sorry have you even heard the podcast???

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:22pm White rich people have always felt that blacks should know their place, pull their heads in, and take on the criticism as feedback and an opportunity to improve themselves and act like us whites.

The good thing is that I believe the racist majority only have a limited time here in Australia before the younger generation and future generations dominate our media, our corporate sectors, and our parliaments.
And don’t forget our footy forums 👍

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:32pm

Just Wow
That would be a great comeback for the court case
You should send that reply to Newman’s defense team :lol: :lol:

BarryGrogan
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 10:34pm
BarryGrogan wrote: Fri 26 Jun 2020 9:55pm

No one has sued anyone.

Sorry have you even heard the podcast???
I heard this bit:

“Maybe Nicky’s dining out on it now about lifting his jumper because I reported on that game at Collingwood. St Kilda played Collingwood and my recollection was that St Kilda won and Nicky lifted his jumper saying, ‘That was a gutsy effort. We have got heart’. Now it’s been misconstrued.”

happy feet
Club Player

Why this week? Why now? Might it suit Collingwood's agenda to say no racism here. Way too coincidental for my liking.

To the top
SS Life Member

I can assure you that the gesture by “Cuz” was a payout to Collingwood supporters, St Kilda winning that match at Victoria Park

The reason for the payout was the vile racist abuse “Cuz” and Gilbert McAdam (Gilbert BOG?) had had directed to them from over the fence throughout that game

The result of the game saw the response to the racist abuse which had maintained throughout the game

The 3 media “identities” do not know what they are talking about - typically, their reputations being what they are

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I was there that day and the racial abuse was off the clock, Skunk crowds are a vile lot hence my hatred of the club, I've never had any doubt that Nick was pointing the color of his skin.

Having said that I think suing is over the top.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

On a side note, FWIW, the worst racial abuse I've ever witnessed was at from North supporters at Moorabbin about 30 years ago - and even worse yet at the 05 Prelim from Swans supporters.

I actually reckon I've only been to about 4 or 5 games of footy since that night. Awful. Grotesque.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I wasn't at the game but remember the fallout very very well and it was pretty well documented at the time.

Allan McAlister, Collingwood’s President got a lot of heat after some very controversial and unsavoury comments during the week about indigenous players needing to behave like whites which were very racist.

Maybe Nicky backed off bit right after the game because he didn't want to make a fuss and that's what they remember. ie what happens on the field stays on the field. It’s just a theory.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BarryGrogan
Club Player

“They embraced and brought their heads together, and Nicky was repeatedly saying in that euphoric moment of celebration, ‘I’m black and I’m proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black’, to Gilbert as they embraced. So I don’t know if I can be any more specific about what happened.”

Ludbey said the explanation offered by the trio stemmed from an inaccurate observation made by then-Collingwood captain Tony Shaw, with another photographer being overruled by his editors when explaining the context of the moment.

“Unfortunately when he went back to the Sunday Herald Sun, his editors didn’t listen to him, and decided to go with the Tony Shaw interpretation,” Ludbey said.

mcadam05
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 12:25am “They embraced and brought their heads together, and Nicky was repeatedly saying in that euphoric moment of celebration, ‘I’m black and I’m proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black’, to Gilbert as they embraced. So I don’t know if I can be any more specific about what happened.”

Ludbey said the explanation offered by the trio stemmed from an inaccurate observation made by then-Collingwood captain Tony Shaw, with another photographer being overruled by his editors when explaining the context of the moment.

“Unfortunately when he went back to the Sunday Herald Sun, his editors didn’t listen to him, and decided to go with the Tony Shaw interpretation,” Ludbey said.
Last edited by mcadam05 on Sat 27 Jun 2020 6:49am, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Vader
Club Player

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 27 Jun 2020 12:25am “They embraced and brought their heads together, and Nicky was repeatedly saying in that euphoric moment of celebration, ‘I’m black and I’m proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black, I’m black and proud to be black’, to Gilbert as they embraced. So I don’t know if I can be any more specific about what happened.”

Yes, this is consistent with my recollection - the Herald Sun reported it as a guts/heart gesture and the Age reported it as the proud to be black version. Problem is, I also seem to recall Nicky somewhere originally saying it was a guys/heart thing, then going with the proud to be black version when it got legs. Long time ago though so I could be wrong. Used to read the Herald Sun more in those days so maybe that was the line they took to justify their original version.

As for the podcast, I’ve heard it. No conspiracies there, just Don Scott talking off the top of his head and the other 2 responding.