Saints Pledge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Saints Pledge

https://www.saints.com.au/news/689710/p ... -and-black

Hi guys,

After talks with the club and some recent developments, we've introduced Saints Pledge - a facility whereby you can make a donation to help the club out financially in obviously unprecedented times.

Supporters and members are the lifeblood of all football clubs and with so much uncertainty on the future of clubs and more broadly the AFL, there's been an enormous amount of willingness to help out. In St.Kilda's case, the want to help from supporters has been immense.

We’ve always been up for a fight, but this isn’t a fight we can win without you, our loyal supporters. Pledge your 2020 membership or donate to the club and help us emerge stronger than ever.

If you follow this link you will be redirected to a new page that has been set up on the Saints website where you can either;

A) Remain a 2020 Member
B) Make a Donation
C) Fundraise in a Team

We are calling on all our passionate supporters & members to help where they can, if they can.

We have been overwhelmed with the messages of support from our Saints community and want to thank everyone who pledges. We’ll do this across the remainder of this season and the 2021 season by offering a range of benefits and rewards:

Public recognition
Your name and message will be added to our Pledge Wall and Honour Board so we can publicly recognize you for your contribution as soon as you make your Pledge.

Your name in the history books*
There’s no doubt our first home game where crowds can attend will be a moment that goes down in club history. Your name will be proudly featured on our banner to thank you for your commitment.

Exclusive Pledge experiences*
You’ll be invited to a number of Saints Pledge events including the Saints Pledge season launch as well as signing sessions and digital seminars.

Exclusive Pledge merchandise offers and membership items*
Your 2021 membership will be accompanied by a Saints Pledge lanyard that gives you access to special offers and merch discounts throughout the year. There will also be exclusive product drops so your red, white and black wardrobe will never be empty!

*2020 members and donations of $50 or more

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Re: Saints Pledge

Done

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I’m in. Go a Saints!!

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
stjohnc
Club Player

OK for the football club membership but
What about reserved seats
Not all money from reserved seats go to the club so do we get a refund for that or are we supporting the Managers of the stadium (AFL) with a donation to them.
What about social club memberships. Do we get a refund for that, does all that money go to the club or does it go to support the social club and their pokies etc
my membership is over $650 per year x 3 adults and 2 juniors at over $200 each per year.
Don't mind donating the football club memberships but not keen on the others
Is the pledge just for the football club memberships

minneapolis
Club Player

I chucked in 200 from the USA. Go Saints!
Last edited by minneapolis on Sun 10 May 2020 4:53am, edited 1 time in total.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for sharing - caught the last 20 minutes.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

I'm confused, I thought our club's future was guaranteed by the AFL. If that is the general belief then why are there constant requests for supporters to pledge money to save our club?

Are we safe or should I be worried?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Clubs would be safe - but given that the core business of the football club, plus any training, can't happen in the foreseeable future, it is an opportunity to use this time to rally some financial support. Last night was great. I really enjoyed it.
Right now we are all getting a small taste of what it would be like to not have a footy club to follow, so if we want to have that then we might have to stump up a little bit in the short term, just like we did in 1995 to Save Our Saints, and were repaid a couple of years later with a very good year in 1997.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
longtimesaint
Club Player

We would probably survive without raising funds or pledges but it’s a question of being competitive.
We will have to borrow large sums from the AFL to continue, making our debt one of the biggest with the overheads in terms of interest draining.
Raising enough to limit the additional loans we would have to take out means we have a better chance at being competitive against the wealthy clubs.
No one wants to languish at the bottom as I only remember too well the four consecutive wooden spoons in the 80’s
To my mind if supporters can afford a donation it is worth while to have a team that can match the big clubs.

One year will be our year
Secret Kiel
Club Player

But there are supporters who believe our club is safe because the AFL have said they "INTEND" on preserving the current 18 club competition.

If this is the case then can someone please tell me why there is some invisible force leading us to believe our club might become extinct, merged, relocated or struggle to be competitive?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 2:13pm But there are supporters who believe our club is safe because the AFL have said they "INTEND" on preserving the current 18 club competition.

If this is the case then can someone please tell me why there is some invisible force leading us to believe our club might become extinct, merged, relocated or struggle to be competitive?
Each club (except for maybe the Suns and GWS) makes money for the AFL.

Explain why the AFL would want to get rid of something that makes it money?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
realdeal
Club Player

Anyone got a half decent photo of what the 'pledge shirt' looks like?

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 3:05pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 2:13pm But there are supporters who believe our club is safe because the AFL have said they "INTEND" on preserving the current 18 club competition.

If our club makes money then how do you explain the 12 million debt before COVID-19. Our club does not make more money than it spends. Hasn't for a very long time. The AFL might not get rid of our club, however the banks and the administrators who now control the 12 assisted clubs could pull that lever if we continue to lose money at the rate we do.

But I come back to my own question, if posters like you are convinced our survival is "guaranteed", then why this constant request for donations to "save" our club. It's confusing don't you think, or at the very least there is contradiction in there somewhere.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 4:55pm

If our club makes money then how do you explain the 12 million debt before COVID-19. Our club does not make more money than it spends. Hasn't for a very long time. The AFL might not get rid of our club, however the banks and the administrators who now control the 12 assisted clubs could pull that lever if we continue to lose money at the rate we do.

But I come back to my own question, if posters like you are convinced our survival is "guaranteed", then why this constant request for donations to "save" our club. It's confusing don't you think, or at the very least there is contradiction in there somewhere.
Good grief SK, why are you constantly and erroneously banging on about the "the banks and the administrators who now control the 12 assisted clubs"???

The AFL is in effect owned by the constituent 15 member owned clubs (Sydney, GWS and Suns licences are owned by the AFL) and it is only by a vote of a clear majority of clubs that one or more of these clubs can be drummed out of the competition - the banks do NOT have this power in any shape or form!!

I really take issue with you contaminating this topic raised in good faith by "saintly" in the express hope that loyal and true Saints supporters will at the minimum pledge their 2020 membership subscriptions (and not request a refund) in order to support the club, no different to what members do every year.

The $12 million debt prior to this year is as far as I know mostly associated with the renovations and upgrading of the Linton Street base.

For goodness sake pal, if you have nothing positive to contribute to this specific discussion bite your tongue and spruik your doom and gloom elsewhere.

Given the tone of your comments, deriding those that are prepared to give financial support to St Kilda, I suggest that if you are indeed a financial member of our footy club, ask for your money back and go and join Carlton or Collingwood, you'd be right at home there I reckon!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

The club making money and the AFL making money off the club are two different things.

Why would banks have anything to do with the clubs? The AFL took out (if needed) a loan against an asset (Marvel) and distribute the money where it sees fit. Or am I mistaken?

I think the only confusion comes from everyone speculating without actually knowing the goings-on.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 5:31pm

Good grief SK, why are you constantly and erroneously banging on about the "the banks and the administrators who now control the 12 assisted clubs"???

The AFL is in effect owned by the constituent 15 member owned clubs (Sydney, GWS and Suns licences are owned by the AFL) and it is only by a vote of a clear majority of clubs that one or more of these clubs can be drummed out of the competition - the banks do NOT have this power in any shape or form!!

I really take issue with you contaminating this topic raised in good faith by "saintly" in the express hope that loyal and true Saints supporters will at the minimum pledge their 2020 membership subscriptions (and not request a refund) in order to support the club, no different to what members do every year.

The $12 million debt prior to this year is as far as I know mostly associated with the renovations and upgrading of the Linton Street base.

For goodness sake pal, if you have nothing positive to contribute to this specific discussion bite your tongue and spruik your doom and gloom elsewhere.

Given the tone of your comments, deriding those that are prepared to give financial support to St Kilda, I suggest that if you are indeed a financial member of our footy club, ask for your money back and go and join Carlton or Collingwood, you'd be right at home there I reckon!

You are just plain wrong, the members do not own the club or have any say or contol. None. The bank has full control over the 12 assisted clubs. If you are having difficulty understanding this concept then can I suggest you read your mortage and title deed documents and try and glean who has control over your house. Our club has agreed to a contract that gives the AFL administrator type control over our club. THAT IS A FACT! Our club had a $12 million dollar debt before the crisis. HOW WE ACCUMULATED THE DEBT IS IRRELEVANT! Our club has spent more money that it makes for a very long time. THAT IS A FACT!

This is a forum for discussion so if you don't understand a topic or a topic upsets you then just ignore the conversation but don't tell me what I can and cant discuss again, ... PAL!

78sainter

Don’t have a lot of spare cash at the moment but pledged my membership as well as the 4 kid’s memberships, and also threw in a $200 donation to the club, would have been more but just can’t afford anymore at moment, misses wasn’t happy when she saw the bank statement (cat’s supporter) but she’ll get over it. :wink:

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 5:49pm

The club making money and the AFL making money off the club are two different things.

Why would banks have anything to do with the clubs? The AFL took out (if needed) a loan against an asset (Marvel) and distribute the money where it sees fit. Or am I mistaken?

I think the only confusion comes from everyone speculating without actually knowing the goings-on.
The distribution model the AFL used for managing funds and loans to clubs was superseded by a new contract that 12 clubs signed up to and includes an administrator type control by the AFL over the 12 assisted clubs that includes back-to-back clauses included in the security contract the AFL agreed to with the banks which was a condition set by the banks and provisional to the loan being given.

So the banks now call the shots when it comes to managing club finances. That is not speculation, that is fact.

Everything will be rosy if we can make more money than we spend which is where the cause for concern is as we haven't been able to do that for a very long time and now that challenge is so much greater due to us entering the greatest recession since the great depression.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... and also threw in a $200 donation to the club,
good work
hope it went in 4 x 50
Make a donation (donations of $50 or more will be counted as a new member)
50 thousand members WAS the gig for this year
... eyes back on the ball

good job st kilda

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 6:40pm

The distribution model the AFL used for managing funds and loans to clubs was superseded by a new contract that 12 clubs signed up to and includes an administrator type control by the AFL over the 12 assisted clubs that includes back-to-back clauses included in the security contract the AFL agreed to with the banks which was a condition set by the banks and provisional to the loan being given.

So the banks now call the shots when it comes to managing club finances. That is not speculation, that is fact.

Everything will be rosy if we can make more money than we spend which is where the cause for concern is as we haven't been able to do that for a very long time and now that challenge is so much greater due to us entering the greatest recession since the great depression.
I think you’re getting a bit creative joining the dots between the banks and the clubs. Sounds like the banks have a deal with the AFL, and then the AFL has a deal with the clubs.

If you have a link to a source saying otherwise I’d be happy to read it.

Also the reported $500-$600 million line of credit was for ‘worst case scenario’, meaning zero football in 2020, back when everything was up in the air and no one really knew what was going to happen. Fast forward to now and it looks like we’ll get 17 rounds plus finals, so I don’t think they’ll need anywhere near that.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 7:54pm

I think you’re getting a bit creative joining the dots between the banks and the clubs. Sounds like the banks have a deal with the AFL, and then the AFL has a deal with the clubs.

Also the reported $500-$600 million line of credit was for ‘worst case scenario’, meaning zero football in 2020, back when everything was up in the air and no one really knew what was going to happen. Fast forward to now and it looks like we’ll get 17 rounds plus finals, so I don’t think they’ll need anywhere near that.
Do a Google search and you'll find info about the loan conditions and the administrator type conditions placed on the assited clubs.

The footy being played this year is a big financial loss due to operational costs to play games but without the normal revenue. So the loan money will be used.

There must be widespread concern for our survival if donation drives are being setup.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 9:29pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 7:54pm

Do a Google search and you'll find info about the loan conditions and the administrator type conditions placed on the assited clubs.

The footy being played this year is a big financial loss due to operational costs to play games but without the normal revenue. So the loan money will be used.

There must be widespread concern for our survival if donation drives are being setup.
Yep, had a look, found nothing saying anything remotely like the banks will have anything to do with clubs.

The AFL secured a line of credit (up to $600M) from the NAB and ANZ using Marvel ($1B+) as security. Clubs can then get a loan from the AFL on a better rate than they could going out on their own, to pay for everything outside of player payments (which the AFL will be covering 100% of for all clubs). Those clubs will have to report their budget weekly to the AFL.

Again, nowhere can I find anything saying banks have any say at all about clubs. The AFL secured a loan against Marvel (which comfortably covers it), and are then essentially acting like a bank for the clubs if they need to borrow money.

But if you have and info to the contrary, please link a source and I’ll have a read.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Sat 09 May 2020 11:02pm

Yep, had a look, found nothing saying anything remotely like the banks will have anything to do with clubs.

The AFL secured a line of credit (up to $600M) from the NAB and ANZ using Marvel ($1B+) as security. Clubs can then get a loan from the AFL on a better rate than they could going out on their own, to pay for everything outside of player payments (which the AFL will be covering 100% of for all clubs). Those clubs will have to report their budget weekly to the AFL.

Again, nowhere can I find anything saying banks have any say at all about clubs. The AFL secured a loan against Marvel (which comfortably covers it), and are then essentially acting like a bank for the clubs if they need to borrow money.

But if you have and info to the contrary, please link a source and I’ll have a read.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/ken ... 54iu6.html

4th paragraph in it is written:

"McLachlan moved the game towards a recievership model with the clubs"

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Umm, it actually said "a receivership type model", which is understandable when the AFL is the controlling body. It also said that Kennett requested full disclosure of the loan documentation / conditions which were not forthcoming so I don't know how you know the actual terms SK.

I'm sure Jeff could have googled them but I doubt they are there to be found, just as I'm confident actual details of my or your loan applications are not there.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Sun 10 May 2020 10:06am Umm, it actually said "a receivership type model", which is understandable when the AFL is the controlling body. It also said that Kennett requested full disclosure of the loan documentation / conditions which were not forthcoming so I don't know how you know the actual terms SK.

I'm sure Jeff could have googled them but I doubt they are there to be found, just as I'm confident actual details of my or your loan applications are not there.
Yes we are in furious agreement, our club is now under receivership type management which is a set of conditions enforced by the AFL which are back-to-back conditions set down by the banks.