Geary should not be captain in 2020 because he is not in our best 22 (IMHFO).......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Geary should not be captain in 2020 because he is not in our best 22 (IMHFO).......

I must admit, I did not see the intraclub game. I am only going by the articles on the game and the posts on here and Bigfooty. There is no way that Geary should be captain because he will not be in the starting 22. From what I can tell there is a plethora of players (small to medium defenders), that have gone past him. And now it seems that Ben Long has made the transition which puts Geary further down the pecking order. I'm not knocking Geary because he has been a warrior for us but Father Time waits for no man (or woman).

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
Shaggy
Club Player

Re: Geary should not be captain in 2020 because he is not in our best 22 (IMHFO).......

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:10pm I must admit, I did not see the intraclub game. I am only going by the articles on the game and the posts on here and Bigfooty. There is no way that Geary should be captain because he will not be in the starting 22. From what I can tell there is a plethora of players (small to medium defenders), that have gone past him. And now it seems that Ben Long has made the transition which puts Geary further down the pecking order. I'm not knocking Geary because he has been a warrior for us but Father Time waits for no man (or woman).
Why not respect the players who make the decision rather than pretend you know better.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary should not be captain in 2020 because he is not in our best 22 (IMHFO).......

Shaggy wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:28pm
Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:10pm I must admit, I did not see the intraclub game. I am only going by the articles on the game and the posts on here and Bigfooty. There is no way that Geary should be captain because he will not be in the starting 22. From what I can tell there is a plethora of players (small to medium defenders), that have gone past him. And now it seems that Ben Long has made the transition which puts Geary further down the pecking order. I'm not knocking Geary because he has been a warrior for us but Father Time waits for no man (or woman).
Why not respect the players who make the decision rather than pretend you know better.
Why not give a football based argument like the op has done rather than make it personal

Shaggy
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:56pm
Why not give a football based argument like the op has done rather than make it personal
That is not a football based argument. The players just voted.
I was pointing out the obvious that he does not know better than the players.

To the top
SS Life Member

St Kilda supporters at the end of 2019 witnessed the emergence of Clark and Coffield (until he unfortunately did his shoulder)

We all trust that the emergence of these 2 players continues - and serves the Club well

Then we add Long

But more than names, what I am attracted to is the language used by our Defensive Coach when describing Long and what he is exhibiting as a defender

I am of the view that both Clark and Coffield bring the same attributes spoken of in regards Long

And, as one who always believed that you build very good sides from defence, I am excited by the language AND that we identify players who can deliver in support of the language

Then we have Roberton - a class defender proficient off both right and left and with height

The KPP’s are down to Carlisle, Howard, Austin and Claravino, who can develop

On the basis of the foregoing where does that leave some others - including because we are building a side for a future which outperforms the recent past

Into the foregoing synopsis comes Geary, particularly if he is Captain

There may also be a matter of players voting on the basis of expectation of the Coach and the panel

We have a new Coach

I believe we also need a new Captain as we kook to the future

I also understand that the “kids” have been challenged to own the future

Exciting isn’t it?

And hopefully successful

Does Geary offer the run and carry, the movement of the ball from our defence to attack in a manner which is to the advantage of St Kilda scoring?

That is the question

All defenders (and these days the 22) have defensive responsibilities, to beat their opponent and ensure they do not have an impact on the result of the game

And on that basis the side is chosen, week in and week out

Contribute or else

To the top
SS Life Member

And recall also the comment on this site when we Drafted Clark and Coffield a Pick apart in the top 10, because they were “half backs” and we needed class mids?

Interesting, hey?

Shaggy
Club Player

To the top wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 10:32pm
I believe we also need a new Captain as we look to the future

The difference is I want a captain who demands captaincy like a Cripps or Bontempelli as Roo did before.

I would like to see who really steps forward this year because it is such a big year of new players.

In the meantime I am very happy to have Gears or Ross or whoever sets the highest standards around the club as captain as voted by the players.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Geary isn’t in our best 22, or at least shouldn’t be by the end of the year if we are to be at all successful.

Handing him the captaincy again means he must be played when he might not deserve it.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 10:28pm
The players stated repeatedly that Richo was a good coach
We’ve heard countless times that they were confident in winning a game only to get smashed
Nick’s suggestion was that given the depth in the backline, Geary’s spot in the top22 is threatened and the reality is that whether you rate him there or not... he’s not as certain as he once was given his deficiencies.

Agree or not it’s a view shared by many

What’s not a football based argument is ‘because the club did it’.
The club and the coaches have made a plethora of decisions over our lifetime... many of which have been poor... many of which have been good. Debate the topic if you want but cut the it’s right because it’s right end of discussion BS. it’s a fan discussion forum.

Harves Man
Club Player

To the top wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 10:32pm St Kilda supporters at the end of 2019 witnessed the emergence of Clark and Coffield (until he unfortunately did his shoulder)

We all trust that the emergence of these 2 players continues - and serves the Club well

Then we add Long

But more than names, what I am attracted to is the language used by our Defensive Coach when describing Long and what he is exhibiting as a defender

I am of the view that both Clark and Coffield bring the same attributes spoken of in regards Long

And, as one who always believed that you build very good sides from defence, I am excited by the language AND that we identify players who can deliver in support of the language

Then we have Roberton - a class defender proficient off both right and left and with height

The KPP’s are down to Carlisle, Howard, Austin and Claravino, who can develop

On the basis of the foregoing where does that leave some others - including because we are building a side for a future which outperforms the recent past

Into the foregoing synopsis comes Geary, particularly if he is Captain

There may also be a matter of players voting on the basis of expectation of the Coach and the panel

We have a new Coach

I believe we also need a new Captain as we kook to the future

I also understand that the “kids” have been challenged to own the future

Exciting isn’t it?

And hopefully successful

Does Geary offer the run and carry, the movement of the ball from our defence to attack in a manner which is to the advantage of St Kilda scoring?

That is the question

All defenders (and these days the 22) have defensive responsibilities, to beat their opponent and ensure they do not have an impact on the result of the game

And on that basis the side is chosen, week in and week out

Contribute or else

Great post TTT, but you really nailed it (IMO) with your statement:

"Does Geary offer the run and carry, the movement of the ball from our defence to attack in a manner which is to the advantage of St Kilda scoring?

That is the question"

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Geary is most definitely the man for the job this year. Based on evidence his football skills have clearly kept him in the best 22 up until this point. And clearly he has entered the twilight of his career at a time when there is much anticipation and expectation about the club entering a period of being a sustained finals contender. I believe these are the contributing factors influencing fans when they conclude he is not best 22 in 2020 and that he should be stripped of his Captaincy. Ridiculous.

Any new manager would be mad to pull too many levers at once and especially when you don't have to, meaning there weren't too many things broke with the way the club was being run before BR took over. BR has inherited a well run club and a team that is finals capable and he will want the support of someone like Geary while he transitions into the head coach role and settle his routine.

Geary will stamp his own papers if his form drops off dramatically in 2020 and that is a separate issue to the captaincy decision for next week which cannot be preempted by the misguided belief Geary has somehow lost all of his playing ability over summer and that all of our recruits and/or developing players have already become best 22 ahead of Gears and all before round 1. Pffft!

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

I believe Gears has been our “Richie Vandenburg”
a. Great competitor & led from the front in regards to how to prepare as a footballer with time trials & fitness his major asset ,it seems age is catching up and let’s not forget that injury last year was pretty horrific!On top of that Ross came in & did a good job,it might be a good idea for Gears & the team to have fresh new leadership & let him concentrate on his body & getting a position on the team where as if he is made captain he automatically gets in the team !He has been a sensational warrior but it might be time to hand the captaincy on!

PADDLEPOP1000
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nor knocking Geary? Pull the other one. At least you are consistent.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Geary has failed to do anything that would cost him the job but I do believe his position on the field, which at this point it seems uncertain when he will.be fit to return to it as most reports say he isn't participating with the main group, is under pressure. Can he afford such a set back?
It is clear that Long, who exhibits similar traits to Geary, is staking a claim for Geary's position and Webster and Clark will also lay claims to a longer term plan in similar roles and then there is Coffield and the experienced Savage. While Long and Webster are both strong, fast, courageous and very capable 1 on 1 defenders, all 5 of theses guys possess better skills than Geary IMHO.
Geary has had a good career, he has been a stalwart contributor in good and bad times. I don't agree that he is finished as a player, I wouldn't write him off but his future is no more certain than Clark's, Long's and Coffield's is unknown. Potentially all 3 should be better footballers than Geary but to his credit, Geary has the runs on the board.
As a coach, I would be more inclined to give Long 5 weeks to show me something and Geary 5 weeks in the VFL to regain fitness and form. Whether this would have any bearing on the Captaincy decision really wouldnt be known until round 6 but Long's chances of a Long career from here look much better than Geary's. I believe that Geary will need to step aside to lose the Captaincy and but dont mind the idea of our captain and best small defender, playing back up in the magoos while the young guys give it a red hot go. Seb Ross acting in the position until we know more about the possible outcomes we foresee atm, sits well with me.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

The players don't know better. Most of them (especially the young ones), will vote with their heart.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 14 Feb 2020 9:41am
As I stated earlier saynta, I'm not falling for your little games. Please feel free to put me on your FOE list......and I will do the same.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Geary is our best choice for captain. But yes, if th i bus go to plan, is likely not in best 22 by seasons and, or sooner. Tis a dilemma.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Gee samsung phone keyboards suck. Or I su c k a t usinv them?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Gee samsung phone keyboards suck. Or I su c k a t usinv them?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

So if not Geary.....then who?

Who has been at the club long enough, who carries the spirit and culture of the club, who trains and performs 100% , who keeps his personal life tidy and has the respect of the players, who is the one players stop and listen to?

I guess the next best option is Ross. But I'm not a huge Ross fan, meaning if Geary had Ross' talent he'd have won Brownlows.

I'm thinking it's a bit thin in the strong leader department which I feel is another knock on Richo's legacy.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 11:54pm
The players stated repeatedly that Richo was a good coach
We’ve heard countless times that they were confident in winning a game only to get smashed
Nick’s suggestion was that given the depth in the backline, Geary’s spot in the top22 is threatened and the reality is that whether you rate him there or not... he’s not as certain as he once was given his deficiencies.

Agree or not it’s a view shared by many

What’s not a football based argument is ‘because the club did it’.
The club and the coaches have made a plethora of decisions over our lifetime... many of which have been poor... many of which have been good. Debate the topic if you want but cut the it’s right because it’s right end of discussion BS. it’s a fan discussion forum.
Noticed this. And it rings true.
I would like to ask de-listed and recently retired players the same question, but even they have to talk through that 'mask' unless they wanna join Aker and Jacko etc.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
To the top
SS Life Member

Captains

The ability to set the example and lead by that example, without reservation

So, usually, a “star” player - not only within the Club structure but recognised across the competition as a “star” player

As such their position and status within the team is beyond question

Given the apparent (because we look in from the outside) lack of Captaincy options referred to on here the next option is to anoint from the junior ranks, setting the demographics of the team accordingly

Young leader

Young side bonding together

There have been such examples

In the game of flanneled fools, Ian Craig in 1957 in South Africa, cruelly interrupted by illness hence Benaud and the era ushered in

Travis Head is the youngest skipper appointed by SA

Sometimes they identify themselves - and the playing group will know as will the administration which surrounds the playing group

I would be looking at this demographic being indicative of the message St Kilda is sending to the competition - we are coming

We have an experienced Coach and panel which should not be overlooked

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Remember in 2003 when Grant Thomas took the captaincy away from Robert Harvey...A club legend...Two time Brownlow medallist and four time B&F winner. He'd been an All-Australian 7 times at that point.
His idea was that, as a young list, we needed leaders. And that Robert Harvey wouldn't stop being a leader because he was no longer captain.
The result was immediate. Aaron Hammil took over as captain and Harvey won another AA honour.
The next season, Lenny Hayes was made captain. Harvey and Hammil still remained leaders.
The season after, Roo was skipper, and Hayes was added as a leader.
You get the picture.

Geary will still be a leader if he's not skipper. And if he doesn't then he isn't the leader we think he is.

Geary should be giving up the captaincy and developing other leaders while he still has a role to play on the field.
If he's not doing this willingly then he should be made to do it.
Becuase, if our youth comes on as expected, then it's hard to see Jarryn demanding a regular place in the side from 2021.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Nick_BlueNRG wrote: Fri 14 Feb 2020 11:29am
saynta wrote: Fri 14 Feb 2020 9:41am
As I stated earlier saynta, I'm not falling for your little games. Please feel free to put me on your FOE list......and I will do the same.
Bahaha.. take your cricket bat and run home why don't you.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Fri 14 Feb 2020 8:38am I believe Gears has been our “Richie Vandenburg”
a. Great competitor & led from the front in regards to how to prepare as a footballer with time trials & fitness his major asset ,it seems age is catching up and let’s not forget that injury last year was pretty horrific!On top of that Ross came in & did a good job,it might be a good idea for Gears & the team to have fresh new leadership & let him concentrate on his body & getting a position on the team where as if he is made captain he automatically gets in the team !He has been a sensational warrior but it might be time to hand the captaincy on!
Excellent analogy

Go you red, black & white warriors