Intra-club Today?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Intra-club Today?

According to The Age there is an intra-club match on today.
Does anyone have details?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Re: Intra-club Today?

10am RSEA Park.

I'm going to try and get there as have a meeting around the corner.

Will provide an update if I do.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 9:00am According to The Age there is an intra-club match on today.
Does anyone have details?
Yep - 10am start @ Linton St.

All is know is that Hill (corked leg) and Hanners (foot) aren't playing. Not sure about any others but the few training sessions I've seen haven't involved Geary doing anything more than handball drills and walking. Parker and Webster also had late starts to their pre-season too

Go you red, black & white warriors
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Hannebury playing and moving well.
Long very impressive.
King accurate and amazing below the knees.
Jones a bull but bombs it a bit.
Clark and Marshall both look very strong.

Disclaimer: posts are my views and shouldn't be taken as fact, even if I am in fact right.
nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Also Billings just kicked one from 50. Set shot.

nostalgicsaint
Club Player

Looks like someone has hurt their calf.

Think it was Dunstan.

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Thanks for that!👍

PADDLEPOP1000
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 12:22pm Thanks for that!👍
Billings Long Clak Jones outstanding

King kicked 4-5

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
shmic_s
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 12:47pm
King kicked 4-5
Thanks Curly

4 or 5.... or 4 goals 5 behinds?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Wow

#1 Ryder fan
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 1:02pm
King kicked 4-5
Thanks Curly

4 or 5.... or 4 goals 5 behinds?
Actually been told it was 6. I must have missed a couple he did miss a few.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
66Iwasthere
Club Player

Hill, Geary, Ryder and Parker didn’t play. Hanner played in bursts and was giving a lot of direction. Ross and Webster played and ran around the boundary as well. As well as others mentioned earlier, I thought Kent was good. Marsh seemed to play everywhere and swapped sides. One tough character he is. Sorry to say kicking in general is still atrocious

CarlD
Club Player

Who was Max's opponent?

Bowey Boy
Club Player

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

CarlD wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 1:54pm Who was Max's opponent?

Brown, then Howard then Mayo. Mayo was the most successful. Nathan was told to rough up Max big time- and he was successful . Max has a lot to learn and still a fair way to go, but he’s a fast learner. Don’t expect a lot from hom this year. I think he will be in and out of the team.
In my humble opinion Coffield will be the big improver. He’s now a man.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 3:46pm

Brown, then Howard then Mayo. Mayo was the most successful. Nathan was told to rough up Max big time- and he was successful . Max has a lot to learn and still a fair way to go, but he’s a fast learner. Don’t expect a lot from hom this year. I think he will be in and out of the team.
I'm a big Coffield fan. You could see towards the end of 2019 that the boy was all class. He is something special IMHFO.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

From afl.com.au

"King, 19, was pitted against experienced defender Jake Carlisle early on, and there's reason enough for the Saints to be bullish about his chances of lining up as early as their season-opener on March 22 against North Melbourne. "

Plus this'

https://www.saints.com.au/news/563085/s ... atch-match

And from the age

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/fit ... 540i3.html

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Entirely. He's developing a beast of a body. I remember seeing him at a huddle at Sandy 2 years ago and being freaked out that he was barely 1 or two inches shorter than H Goddard. And was playing as a HBF/roll-up mid. FFS! As much as I have a crush on Battle the footballer (and his much vaunted capabilities of him as a potential swingman) - Coffield could be all that and more. He's very, very big lad with sublime footskills. If Ratten wanted skills then Clarke and Coffield are his men to build around.

Tony74 is spot on - he could be anything with a consistent run at it and a little confidence early in the season.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Lyon Tamer
Club Player

PADDLEPOP1001 wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 12:22pm Thanks for that!👍
Billings Long Clak Jones outstanding

King kicked 4-5
King probably should have kicked a few more...put one out on the full, dropped a sitter running into an open goal and missed a set shot dead in front. But he had presence and made his more experienced opponents think twice.

Jones prominent but sloppy with disposal. Long looked comfortable in his new role. He really hits hard when he tackles.

Marshall will be hard to man up against when he goes forward. Should kick a few this year.

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Actually I thought Jones was very good with his disposal. Dmac still slaughters it and Webster will be battling to keep his spot. Gears won’t play next week and Dunny could be in doubt with a slight hip flexor

damienc
Club Player

This is great exciting news. Some good news. Finally. Some guys we hope will come on, are. Of the five big name recruits who played, all seemed to go well. Very pleased. And thanks for letting us know.

To the top
SS Life Member

Watch Coffield v Freo before he bunged his shoulder toward the end of the First Quarter.

Class, pure class - despite what some on here put.

Clark, Coffield and Long in support of our KPP's in defence will give us a class defence, which is where you build from.

Then there is Roberton - another of pure class.

Marshall also has sublime football skills - amazing actually - and with Membrey and King will present as a potent attack.

spiral3
Club Player

checked out the game, nice to see the boys running around again

AFL article covered it pretty well I reckon, my observations on a few players, for what they're worth

King - dangerous, finds opportunities on the lead and on the ground (outstanding for his size). made some silly mistakes that will frustrate but he has the ability and instinct.
as confidence and strength grows he will be extremely dangerous.
had carlisle early on that I saw, brown was also in same back six. didn't see mayo on him (no pun intended), thought it was clavarino..?

Hill - didn't play which was disappointing, he is the new player I'm most excited about

Jones - good energetic player, gets things moving although doesn't always take the best option (not alone there)

Howard - goes at everything a million miles an hour, tendency to over commit in the air.
great attitude and energy, went so hard for one spoil toward the end of the match that he literally flew over the boundary fence, lucky not to hurt himself

Butler - not bad, got on the end of a couple

Long - very good, had some real purple patches. reads it well, excellent evasion and physicality. disposal/decision making wasn't always great but that should improve

Billings - excellent, kicked one exceptional goal from around 50m, made it look easy (right hand flank), missed one from left hand side

Clarke - I'm a huge fan, was good but not amazing, still confident he will be a gun, lined up in centre at start, more half back later I think

Gresh - not great ball use, played mid at the start, got his hands on it, kicked one

Battle - fearless, almost killed Lonie going for a hospital ball. destroyed Dunstan when spoiling a mark, hence Dunstan injury. looks very fit and strong

Steele - hard at it, confident, looks good, should improve again this year

Rowan - good, not amazing in ruck (although I am not a ruck connoisseur) but as mentioned did well up forward in second half (Abbott switched to his team and rucked while Rowan was forward - seemed to work well)

Membrey - good as always

Hannebery - very good

Abbott - good nicknames, Rabbot and Tony. Thought he was good, competed well against Rowan and the start of the game and won a few clearances through collecting ground balls. seems a handy acquisition.

Byrnes - played lots of midfield time for the seconds team, like him, gets the ball and gets it moving. very Jack Steven, not great disposal but he is a proactive player

Connolly - butchered a few kicks which was disappointing, saw him at training a while back and he is an excellent kick

Bytel - didn't notice much, saw one nice bit of play with good hands and vision in close

Mayo - thought he was alright, did a couple of nice things, kicked one if I recall correctly?

Lonie - same as always, good things and bad things, gives 100%, goes hard

kent - a few good things

DMac - have been a fan but as mentioned just kills his good work with bad decisions or skills. looks destined for lots of Sandy time

Coffield - good not amazing, a couple of nice runs, needs a good run in the 1s, will improve

Carlisle - looks fit, did well

Paton - did some good things, like him

Clavarino - thought he did ok

Darragh - has a real crack but seems VFL standard

Marsh - gives it everything, great team man, played everywhere but pretty scrappy player

Hind - didn't play, dunno why

Wilkie - good - played some wing?

Langlands - didn't notice him much

a few young blokes played for the seconds side in second half (Zebs players I presume) - had a go but a bit overawed

interesting attendees -
Darren Crocker (Nth Melb) - was doing opposition scouting but also is in charge of mature age recruiting
Nathan Freeman - good to see him at the club
Dempster - has a club role now doesn't he? looked very fit as always, good to see past players involved

stkfc1
Club Player

To the top wrote: Thu 13 Feb 2020 5:06pm Watch Coffield v Freo before he bunged his shoulder toward the end of the First Quarter.

Class, pure class - despite what some on here put.

Clark, Coffield and Long in support of our KPP's in defence will give us a class defence, which is where you build from.

Then there is Roberton - another of pure class.

Marshall also has sublime football skills - amazing actually - and with Membrey and King will present as a potent attack.
Add Wilkie to that class list. It's going to be really hard to get a spot in that back 6. Paton, Webster, Savage, Long, Geary ,Clark and Coffield are all fighting for small/medium defender spots. Clark is the only lock. Reckon Coff will be by mid season. Long sounds promising. All I know is, Sandy is going to have a hell of a defence this year. Sandy should really be playing finals this year. That will show we've really improved our depth.

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Looking forward to seeing King go up against his first AFL defender that doesn't wear RW&B.

Stratton will be keen to test him if he plays.