Armo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Armo

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/loc ... 63a0deeaeb

"What a lifter for the Lions.

A few days after confirming they had secured delisted Hawthorn defender and former Box Hill Hawks captain David Mirra, Collegians today announced they had gained former St Kilda midfielder David Armitage.

The 31-year-old’s phone ran molten-hot after he retired at the end of 2019, with local clubs showering him with offers.

He was most linked with Pines in the Mornington Peninsula Nepean league, Mordialloc in the Southern league, and North Ringwood and Doncaster Doncaster in the Eastern league.

But he’s settled on Collegians in VAFA Premier.

Recruited from Mackay, Armitage had a fine career with the Saints, playing 169 AFL games from 2007-19.

He was runner-up in the best and fairest in 2015.

“His past few years have unfortunately been hampered by injury, but at his prime he was right up there with the best midfielders in the game,’’ Saints football manager Simon Lethlean told the club website when Armitage announced his retirement.

Collegians coach Shane Joyce told Leader: “We wanted to add some depth and experience to our midfield, and David has played football at the highest level for 12, 13 years.

“He’s a very strong leader and I love the way he plays the game with his physicality and hard-nosed approach.

“That’s something we felt we needed to add to our mix during the off-season.

“I know that he was in high demand, not only in our competition but elsewhere."

Best of luck David.

Nick_BlueNRG
Club Player

Re: Armo

He only had 1 good season for us. We should have traded him to Richmond when we had the chance.

(M)ake (S)t Kilda (S)elf (S)ustainable
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish

He had one outstanding season

Several good seasons

A sold B Grader generally, at his best he was A Grade.
His game vs the Bulldogs where he got 46 was unbelievable

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

At the time I was pissed off when he was drafted because I thought St.kilda should have selected Jack Riewoldt.

Another call that possibly cost the club two premierships.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 1:08pm At the time I was pissed off when he was drafted because I thought St.kilda should have selected Jack Riewoldt.

Another call that possibly cost the club two premierships.
If fairness, if we’d actually put the work into David early and played him... he may have actually helped us win 2 premierships,

Certainly would have been much happier with him and our other mids (Joey, Ball, Dal, BJ,) rotating though the midfield and resting in the forward pocket at times as opposed to playing Dempster as a defensive forward.
Especially given that we apparently didn’t rate Ball’s ability to run out games.

Personally, David wasn’t my first choice either but I reckon this is a case of it’s more on us than him

Sanctorum
Club Player

David Armitage was an OK sort of player, never more than ordinary in talent, not particularly pacy and arguably, in retrospect, not worthy of Pick 9, or even top 30.

Looking at the 2006 Draft, the following players were available at Pick 9:

12 James Frawley
13 Jack Riewoldt
19 Shaun Grigg
26 Shane Edwards
at Pick 27 St KIlda took Brad Howard who played just 2 games
37 Todd Goldstein
42 Bachar Houli
48 David Mackay
50 Will Schofield
55 Robbie Gray
63 Tyson Goldsack

Now that's some really classy players that the club let slip through their fingers, any one of whom would have been likely to be included in the best 25 in the golden years of 2009 and 2010. If the club was looking to bolster their midfield, Shaun Grigg, Shane Edwards, Bachar Houli and Robbie Gray would have been much better options.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, yeah, sigh.

The_Merchant
Club Player

Sanctorum wrote: Fri 08 Nov 2019 3:30pm David Armitage was an OK sort of player, never more than ordinary in talent, not particularly pacy and arguably, in retrospect, not worthy of Pick 9, or even top 30.

Looking at the 2006 Draft, the following players were available at Pick 9:

12 James Frawley
13 Jack Riewoldt
19 Shaun Grigg
26 Shane Edwards
at Pick 27 St KIlda took Brad Howard who played just 2 games
37 Todd Goldstein
42 Bachar Houli
48 David Mackay
50 Will Schofield
55 Robbie Gray
63 Tyson Goldsack

Now that's some really classy players that the club let slip through their fingers, any one of whom would have been likely to be included in the best 25 in the golden years of 2009 and 2010. If the club was looking to bolster their midfield, Shaun Grigg, Shane Edwards, Bachar Houli and Robbie Gray would have been much better options.
Got to love a good hindsight draft post. Armo was better than several top 10 picks that year. Scott Gumbleton at 2 and Mitch Thorp at 6 without argument, and a couple of others arguably.

To suggest he wasn’t top 30 is ridiculous, yes there were some late draft picks that came good, like every year, but I would like to see you name 30 better players than armo in the 2006 draft.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
The_Merchant
Club Player

In 2009 and 2010, Shaun Grigg was barely getting a game at Carlton, Shane Edwards was a fringe player at Richmond which won 11 games in 09-10 and Bachar Houli couldn’t get a game at Essendon so not sure any of them would have made much impact in our Grand Final midfields.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.