Trade Summary...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

silverhalo
Club Player

Re: Trade Summary...

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2019 5:29pm Will nothing to suggest today that we have missed out in any way by not gaining Tomlinson.
Yep, agreed...was thinking the same thing.

Other observations:-

- Why did we end up taking Parker instead of his mentor Pickett?
- Didn't realise Ben King was that bloody fast - MUST GET
- Richmond was like us 5 years ago - it can turn around pretty quickly .....Go Saints!

The Barometer
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2019 5:29pm Will nothing to suggest today that we have missed out in any way by not gaining Tomlinson.
Ordinary disposal by foot. A couple of direct turnovers when not under much pressure managed to pick out tiger players.

The Barometer
Club Player

silverhalo wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2019 6:13pm

- Richmond was like us 5 years ago - it can turn around pretty quickly .....Go Saints!
How good to see Pickett being thrown into the contest for prolonged periods. Our new players get to alternate between bench and forward pocket.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Barometer wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2019 6:27pm
How good to see Pickett being thrown into the contest for prolonged periods. Our new players get to alternate between bench and forward pocket.

Good yes.

But I don't think that one can equate a player who is almost 28 and has played 100 games in the WAFL with a typical debut.

I mean this is more like back in the day when players came from the SAFL or WAFL already experienced are ready to play.

Like Winmar kicking 37 goals in his first season with us, or Milan Faletic kicking 5 goal 5 on debut.

Credit to the Tigers. They picked up a player who was playing very good football, but others would not touch due to his jail stint.

Tigers have been doing a lot right in recent years.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
silverhalo
Club Player

Just a reminder that trade radio starts on Monday...you can get to it via the AFL web site....gotta love this time of year!

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

silverhalo wrote: Sat 28 Sep 2019 6:13pm

I get what you are trying to say but no - Richmond were not like us 5 years ago. Even then, they had Rance, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Martin. All A Graders.

We still have not got a single one

Go you red, black & white warriors
ace
Saintsational Legend

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Tue 24 Sep 2019 1:43am Next year's first rounder and steak knives for Ben King. Make it happen Saints.
Yep the No1 draft pick should get it done.
At least he can run faster than Pudding.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
footynut
Club Player

Pick 5 plus steak knives (Maybe newnes or mckenzie) - just get it done saints.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

On Bigfooty there are a couple of WA guys who watch local footy, St Cicatriz who I think used to be Defacto on here back in the day would have had Pickett, Liam Ryan, Tim Kelly, Menagola and a few other WAFL players at the club if he had his way. Another guy was begging for Mc Govern saying he was a gun. We really should employ someone inside the WAFL to talent spot for us.

The only player St C didn't get right that I can think of is Sydney Stack, I thought is highlight reel made him look like. superstar, he thought he was so off the rails he wouldn't make it. Credit to Richmond, the coach decided to take him into his house and make him realise his talent.

lefty
Club Player

Looking at the AFL app we have Pick 6 then Pick 57, really.... stop trading future picks for crying out loud, its just robbing Peter to pay Paul and it is not working.

Plan should be...
1. Get Ben King
2. Draft midfielders

A. Ryder = Short sighted, short term, pointless. Rather find another Marshall and take a chance on high end picks towards the end of the draft.
B. Jones = Because we don't already have enough small back pocket / back flankers.
C. Hill = He's OK, but not worth a first round pick.

Loosing Bruce for an alleged second rounder, classic....

DJ Higgins
Club Player

It's a mid term strategy now. The rebuild started with hunter and coffield. Last year we got a key forward and some gems thru state leagues. Not sold on hanners yet.
Now we go for speed and outside run. I don't know a lot about hill except he will be in our starting 22 so he is a step up.
Paddy Ryder is a short term ruckman which I like. Rowma needs support and Paddy will come cheapish plus he has ability.
My only hope is we do no 2020 trades. If we want king we need something to offer gold coast

To the top
SS Life Member

Well my view, as put, is that the rebuild started from zilch with the taking of Billings, Dunstan and Acres as First Round Picks

Post that Draft we have had some bad luck with McCartin, King and Bytel but hopefully that bad luck will correct starting from 2020

To the top
SS Life Member

Wilkie was serviceable in the absence of Roberton - but, in my view, the jury is well and truly out on the other mature aged draftees

gringo
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:54pm Well my view, as put, is that the rebuild started from zilch with the taking of Billings, Dunstan and Acres as First Round Picks

Post that Draft we have had some bad luck with McCartin, King and Bytel but hopefully that bad luck will correct starting from 2020
Bytel and King were known injury affected players. We were shopping in the bargain bin, got them cheap because of some package damage.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 9:57pm Wilkie was serviceable in the absence of Roberton - but, in my view, the jury is well and truly out on the other mature aged draftees
Wilkie was much better than serviceable

Nee!
Saint 58
Club Player

Watching - The Trade Game
What a flog Tom Browne is
If he says “core principle” one more time, I’ll spew up !

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Saint 58 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:41pm Watching - The Trade Game
There is so much Trade info flying around, i am drowning in it, and it's all bulldust until Monday the 7th of October. :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Saint 58
Club Player

Wayne42 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:45pm
Saint 58 wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:41pm Watching - The Trade Game
There is so much Trade info flying around, i am drowning in it, and it's all bulldust until Monday the 7th of October. :lol: :lol:
Yeah I know :D
But I’m waiting/hoping for some big news ! Any news :|

New season, new players, new hope !!

What you do for others will define your life.
[Football isn't everything ... it's the ONLY thing]
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

True.

However the gist of it seems to be that the only really good player we will land is Hill.

We will land a few others, but all lesser lights, or stop-gaps in the faded Ryder.

Our hopes for 2020 are going to right on Ratten and the re-jigged offield team, having a reasonable injury run, King and Bytel bursting out of the blocks and Clark, Coffield and a few others stepping up along with Marshall.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

From The Age this morning :

“Geelong list manager Stephen Wells confirmed on SEN radio that the Cats had met with Steven and the Saints were open to trading him.
"The way it is headed there is a good chance Jack will be at Geelong," Wells said.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/the ... 52wgv.html

Article also quotes Wells saying that Charlie Constable will remain at Geelong for 2020.

The question is, what will the Saints want in return for Stuv? Second round pick on its own not nearly enough IMO. Second rounder and someone like Constable I would be happy with.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

By far and away the most important thing we can do during this trade period is extract the maximum value from what we have.

Tempting as it may be for an inexperienced list manager to get names at any cost, it won't help the club long-term if we pay overs for Hill and Jones whilst receiving unders for Steven and Bruce.

There's a wide-ranging view in the industry that St Kilda can get the deal done for Hill with Pick 10-12 and Zak Jones for 20-25.

Therefore, St Kilda needs to think about splitting pick 6 into two picks that can satisfy this demand.

However, this means that St Kilda will have to wait until the later days of the trade period to find a club who can do this deal.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 30 Sep 2019 11:50pm

True.

However the gist of it seems to be that the only really good player we will land is Hill.

We will land a few others, but all lesser lights, or stop-gaps in the faded Ryder.

Our hopes for 2020 are going to right on Ratten and the re-jigged offield team, having a reasonable injury run, King and Bytel bursting out of the blocks and Clark, Coffield and a few others stepping up along with Marshall.
Spot on. Our improvement is going to largely have to come from within. I longed for the days of marked/break-out improvement from the likes of Acres and Billings and to a lesser extent, Dunstan, Newnes, Sinclair but - in my heart of hearts - I pretty much know that we've we've got is what we'll only ever get now.

We'll get a lot with Hill and if King can become a target (with help from Marshall/Ryder) then, we'll not lose too much with Bruce going.

My great hope is that the likes of Marshall, Coffield, Clark, Bytel, Hind, Parker, Wilkie and King haven't been too "Richo'd" over their short journeys with us and hence, will still have significant room for growth and improvement.

And it's going to be even more important now that the fvcks at the AFL have gifted more help to their northern-most basket case for the next 3 years.

Go you red, black & white warriors
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Wtf does too Richo’d even mean.... Marshall seemed to play alright under him, as did Billings, Steele, Gresham, Membrey and a heap of others.

It’s not possible for a coach to make a player better than they are, or worse than they are...

They can use them effectively or help them realise their potential

But to say players didn’t or couldn’t play well under AR is silly

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 3:29pm

It’s not possible for a coach to make a player better than they are, or worse than they are...
Well according tho this poster they can:
B.M wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 3:29pm They can use them effectively or help them realise their potential

B.M wrote: Tue 01 Oct 2019 3:29pm But to say players didn’t or couldn’t play well under AR is silly
Well if Richo was not using a player effectively then they would not be realising their potential under Richo.

I remember one game very clearly against the Cats for example where the players let Richo know during the game that they, and the team, could not realise their potential on the day due to Richo's tactics.

Also in recent times a number of sources are indicating that our training standards were not what they need to be for an elite level team. That sheets home to the coach. If you do not train well as you can, you are not going to play as well as you can.

BM for a guy who claims to coach you seem to have very little appreciation of the difference that a coach can have on a player, or a team.

I have had various coaches improve me in the sports I played. I know for example in just the one sailing clinic I had with John Betrand that he made me a quicker yachtsman. I have also had some coaches who had the reverse effect on sportspeople by teaching them poor techniques, tactics etc, or in demotivating them.

Laurie
Club Player

Geelong WILL NOT give up Constable.
We will get a 3rd round pic for Stevens take it or leave it.
and our recruitment guys will accept.
Ben King at St.Kilda all pie in the sky talk. Boom Boom.