Carlisle on trade table

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisle on trade table

suss wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 1:56pm
I'm hoping that Newnes leaves and we get one of those priority picks which is dressed up as a compo pick, like the one Melbourne got for Frawley. Something in the 20s would be ideal.
Trouble is that we are meant to be getting the RFA in Tomlinson. That will negate, or even completely remove any FA Compo for Newnes.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I do hate his attitude, you’re right there

oldie60
Club Player

I think there is more to Carlisle than everyone thinks. Personally i think he was rushed back into the side with the hope of making finals. He clearly is not the player he was prior to his surgery. His strong marking has been minimal which watching him move shows that he is struggling. He can hardly get his hands above his head which would indicate there is probably some soreness and he has never been a quick player but its more evident now. He should not have been playing and should have sat out and done full re-hab. Both his manager and himself were concerned about next years contract and Richo thought we could make finals so there would have been a push to get him going sooner rather than later.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Not a fan of what appears to be a petulant attitude.

I will however not comment on his performances this season as he came back from back surgery and appeared severely restricted in mobility.

Not a gun but still the best KPD we have in the club so I'd only trade him for overs, unless there is deeper attitude issues and they want him out of the club.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
suss
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 5:33pm
suss wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 1:56pm
I'm hoping that Newnes leaves and we get one of those priority picks which is dressed up as a compo pick, like the one Melbourne got for Frawley. Something in the 20s would be ideal.
Trouble is that we are meant to be getting the RFA in Tomlinson. That will negate, or even completely remove any FA Compo for Newnes.
Right you are. We miss that second rounder we gave up last year.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’d like someone to tell me what position Tomlinson plays?

He’s not a Key Forward, or a Key back? What’s his deal.

oldie60
Club Player

Refer bio from Giants website
Adam Tomlinson is a versatile tall who can play at either end of the ground but developed as a key forward early on. After being selected by the GIANTS with pick nine in the 2011 NAB AFL Draft, Tomlinson made his debut against the Swans in round 1, 2012. Tomlinson struggled to find consistency and his ideal position over the first few years of his career however a switch to defence in 2016 re-ignited Tomlinson who has been one of the GIANTS' key members since. An elite runner, Tomlinson is also an ambassador for Ronald McDonald House at Westmead where he goes above and beyond in his role.​
Played every game for the first time in a career-best season mostly on a wing, averaging 16.6 possessions and booting 12 goals, after being an important member of the GIANTS’ defence. With Tom Scully injured and Lachie Whitfield needed in defence, Tomlinson used his elite running ability to cover plenty of territory, and because of his height and athleticism, he was a tough match-up for opposition teams. Capable of playing at either end of the ground in the key positions and pinch-hitting in the ruck, Tomlinson is a valuable weapon for the GIANTS.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So can’t nail down a position at 26yo

But does volunteer work

I think he’s a nothing player, who hasn’t achieved much... bit like Acres

oldie60
Club Player

Given the Giants horror run with injuries i can't recall him having any impact in any of their games. you would think he would be one of the leaders who stands out but seems to fall short. Don't think he's worth chasing.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 6:36pm So can’t nail down a position at 26yo

But does volunteer work

You don’t even know what position Tomlinson plays yet rate him as nothing player.

Says it all really.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

It says

He has failed to hold down a key post, despite being 194cm, he’s not an A Grade mid, he’s a bit of a utility, at best a Wing/Flanker

Would you like me to produce his numbers

I think the idea of Tomlinson is better than the output of Tomlinson. Hence, the Acres comparison.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Carlisle is a liability. He can mark the footy & play loose effectively however he is poor one on one & unaccountable. Happy for him to be traded.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I agree Myrion

But I think it’s more about his attitude which stinks

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 6:36pm So can’t nail down a position at 26yo

But does volunteer work

I'm quite sure "nailing down" a position at the Giants is a touch harder than with St Kilda. If getting a spot in the Giants best 22 was easy, we'd probably not have Bruce or Steele.

But hey, Newnes & Sinclair have "nailed down" positions so we must be on the right track...let's keep following that path.

To the top
SS Life Member

A protruding disk putting pressure on a nerve renders you a cripple - and in agony unable to move

The initial response is physio (where they can not get anywhere near where the problem is initially because of pain) and if that is not successful surgery, which is complicated with risk

Surgery is the last resort - and everything is done to avert surgery

The fact that Carlisle had surgery speaks to the severity of the impact on the nerve (which also impacts elsewhere If it is your L7 in the neck region it paralyses an arm by way of example)

Post the surgery there is rehabilitation - and rehabilitation is difficult enough without surgery, taking time and a religious exercise regime

I can assure you that pressure on a nerve in the spine is debilitating and far worse than the worst of tooth pain also due to pressure on a nerve (think root canal where they kill the nerve)

The fact that he even returned to play AFL footy as he has shows commitment

Those questioning Carlisle as they are should take a cold shower - or better still be inflicted by a similar condition to the extent of having pain killer tubes stuck in their arms such is the pain from which you can obtain no relief

The uneducated telling their fellow uneducated what they do not know

The one thing I imagine from surgery is that you do not need to take the care you need to take if you do not undergo surgery - including on going physio visits because they can do what you can not do in maintaining flexibility which is key

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So we recruit a guy who isn’t good enough to make a good team, in order to become a good team... yep, makes perfect sense

What age were Bruce and Steele when we recruited them?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So we recruit a guy who isn’t good enough to make a good team, in order to become a good team... yep, makes perfect sense

Sanctorum
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 1:43pm Carlisle when fit and in form is in our top 5 players. It would be madness to trade him unless we're getting an established gun (Hill), early first round pick or prodigious young talent (Bing) coming back. The guy missed most of the year due to back surgery and returned earlier than expected. He wasn't at his best but he did have some very good games, including a strong defensive shut down game against Ben Brown (16 spoils) and outstanding games against the Bulldogs and Freo (combined total of 13 spoils, 19 intercepts and 5 contested marks).

Battle's emergency has been the only reason why Carlisle's importance to the team could be brought into question, but honestly I still really like Battle as a forward. I wouldn't be trading Carlisle; he is a player that opposition teams worry about. We don't have many of those.
I'd be really surprised if either Jake Carlisle or Josh Bruce are traded away - it is obvious that Carlisle has never regained full fitness following his back surgery and in 2020 with a strong pre-season he will be back to his best, and let's face it, he has been elite in the past.

I would consider getting Carlisle to become 2nd ruckman to Rohan Marshall - at 201 cm he will be far more effective than Josh Bruce in that role, and he can swing between defence and attack with great effect.

Likewise, the club would be mad to let Josh Bruce go - he has also had a disrupted pre-season and will be so much fitter in 2020. He will play a pivotal role in the induction of Max King as a key forward, and it is really exciting to think St Kilda will have Bruce, King and Membrey as forward targets, with a midfield featuring Hannebery, Hill, Gresham, Steele, Dunstan firing the ball forward.

Between now and the end of the drafts the AFL media will run riot with all sorts of rumours and speculations, much of it of their own imaginings, so best to wait and see what happens when the dust settles.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 8:53pm A protruding disk putting pressure on a nerve renders you a cripple - and in agony unable to move

The initial response is physio (where they can not get anywhere near where the problem is initially because of pain) and if that is not successful surgery, which is complicated with risk

Surgery is the last resort - and everything is done to avert surgery

The fact that Carlisle had surgery speaks to the severity of the impact on the nerve (which also impacts elsewhere If it is your L7 in the neck region it paralyses an arm by way of example)

Post the surgery there is rehabilitation - and rehabilitation is difficult enough without surgery, taking time and a religious exercise regime

I can assure you that pressure on a nerve in the spine is debilitating and far worse than the worst of tooth pain also due to pressure on a nerve (think root canal where they kill the nerve)

The fact that he even returned to play AFL footy as he has shows commitment

Those questioning Carlisle as they are should take a cold shower - or better still be inflicted by a similar condition to the extent of having pain killer tubes stuck in their arms such is the pain from which you can obtain no relief

The uneducated telling their fellow uneducated what they do not know

The one thing I imagine from surgery is that you do not need to take the care you need to take if you do not undergo surgery - including on going physio visits because they can do what you can not do in maintaining flexibility which is key

Good post to the top.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 8:56pm So we recruit a guy who isn’t good enough to make a good team, in order to become a good team... yep, makes perfect sense

What are you on? Tomlinson has played 22 games this years.

How are you still commenting on a player you clearly have never watched?

SAINT-LEE
Club Player

I heard he was playing in a fair bit of pain.
If the chat was truth, he came back a bit early, keen to have a go, but has been cracking the sads more at himself and his inability to move freely and run aggressively.
It appears when he is not able to play well he may get disenchanted.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 8:56pm So we recruit a guy who isn’t good enough to make a good team, in order to become a good team... yep, makes perfect sense

I think he's good enough, the Giants think he's good enough, you don't.

I think he'll improve our list, you don't.

So tell me, how do we improve our list? I know you are dreaming of a circa 2000 list cleansing & top up but that isn't going to happen and we are devoid of draft picks.

I get you don't rate Carlisle, Acres and Coffield but believe in Lonie. I think Carlisle, Acres and Coffield make St Kilda an infinitely better side when they are playing well, you don't, just a difference of opinion. May not be right but you may not be either.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Waltzing St Kilda wrote: Tue 27 Aug 2019 9:35am Clarko will pick up Carlisle for a third round pick.

Clarko laughs at clubs that can't control players who aren't choirboys.

Clarko will turn Carlisle back into a terrific defender and impressive finals contributor.

Meanwhile, at least we've saved Newnes and DMac from being poached.
I would LoL if it weren't true :(

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

8 seasons for 137 games = 17 average per season since debut.

22 games in 2019 year to date and will play finals.

I live between Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast and go to about 5 GWS home games per season and have watched him closely due to the Saints interest.

My humble opinion, not a gun, not a brute full KPP but a very competent swing man with good pace and athleticism. Good courage but not a really physical player.

Could play as 3rd back, lead up forward or wing with a run through the middle. More athletic version of Battle but not as physical. Would be an upgrade on Acres.

In our best 22, we’ll suited to Marvel, not costing a draft pick due to RFA so we’ll worth the effort.

If a fringe bottom club one dimensional midget like Kent is worth a 3 year deal Tomlinson is worth pursuing and throwing good coin at.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

So he’s a tall, who’s not good enough to play as a tall?

This year he averaged 17ppg as a utility player

I hope the dogs get him and try him as their key back