Rob Harvey in the running for head coach role

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rob Harvey in the running for head coach role

saintsRrising wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 7:39pm
Sainternist wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 7:31pm Harvey will never become a senior coach.

If he is such a great potential senior coach, then where are all the endorsements for it?
You mean like Buckley? Who has endorsed him to be a senior coach.
Well, of course Buckley will try and endorse his colleague!!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
oldie60
Club Player

His name has been seldom mentioned for any jobs in previous seasons. I'd want him to openly say he would love to have a shot at it but I'm not sensing it. I don't see him at the Saints given that he is a smart person he would asses the list and decide which list would be more appealing as it could get ugly if he fails.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Love him.

But the next coach will fail - the list is crap. Nobody can turn us into a finals side in the next 3 years without a serious influx of talent ie 4 or more A grade players.

Would prefer to burn someone else rather than a club legend.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Balls and Max endorse the midget?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 5:44pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:50pm
B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:14pm I remember a crucial set shot goal Harves kicked from near the boundary in the 05 final verses Adel, a game where he almost single handily got us the win, interstate, underdogs, Harvey at 34yo reigned supreme!
Should of played on in 09, that retirement cost us & we chased Cousins!!!
he was pushed...
and RL was totally on-board with cousins

and PS in the time I watched Harvs play - if he kicked a goal - we usually won the game :-(((
I know sunsaint & that's why I mentioned Cousins. Why go after Cousins when Harvey's 08 was very good. Only Lyon could explain that reasoning.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 6:13pm
Ghost Like wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 9:17am Sounds like Harves knocked you back for an autograph. There really has to be a reason for your angst.

Kicking over jam tins, thank god Hawthorn, the Dogs & Geelong didn't use that prerequisite.

Mick Nolan could be running (?) out of goal square at the moment and our mids would not even see him, let alone hit him. I watched Ross in a game this year stream out of the centre, skewed his kick and missed the entire F50 all together! I'm quite sure the "lowering your eyes" poster boy would be Rob Harvey.

If anything he's a lesson in playing to his limitations and perfecting that through hard work and effort. I'm quietly confident he'd get that message across.

Quick google search, the great man still kicked 215 goals (trivia - same number of Brownlow votes). 215 goals has him ranked currently at 345 on the all time goal kickers. I would say that's high for a pure midfielder.

I think Harvey knows about the midfield, forward entries and the discipline required to get the best out of ones self.

As for coaching in your own right, please tell me who Simpson, Hardwick, Clarkson, the Scott brothers, Longmire and Thompson coached in their own right before being appointed.

Clarkson, at Werribee, then the SANFL & Beveridge at St Bedes, a phenomenal achievement. I doubt though, like Leicester City (same year) the planets will align like they did for the Dogs again for a very long time. Perhaps 2016 was Bevo's Hawks 2008, time will tell but he can obviously instill belief in his players.

I do think R. Harvey is the right move for the Club where it is right now, on & off field.

I do believe coaches are voted in, either unanimously or by majority. Unless it's a Philippino election and Lethlean is in charge of the voting booths.
I gotta start using emojis to express intonation...insert smiley
Maybe HM but you did back over it a couple of times as if to reinforce it. Once you found the reversing "beep" you still said "could have" as if you still weren't sure.

Emojis can help 😉👍

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Banger can't coach. He can only just speak.
God bless him.

Nee!
jays
Club Player

hope its Mitchell or ratten Image

saynta
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 8:43am Banger can't coach. He can only just speak.
God bless him.
Says who, apart from you.?The collingwood captain certainly thinks he can coach.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... fa149802f6

"St Kilda legend Robert Harvey has heard the rumbles about his potential return to the Saints as senior coach, but the Collingwood midfield coach says he’s just hoping for an opportunity “wherever that may be”.

Michael Randall, Herald Sun

July 19, 2019 7:52pm

St Kilda legend Robert Harvey says he is yet to interview for any of the vacant AFL coaching jobs and says the emotion for the Saints has drifted away in his time as an assistant at Collingwood.

The Saints, Carlton and North Melbourne are on the hunt for new senior coaches after their incumbents moved on mid-season and Pies captain Scott Pendlebury has since given Harvey’s coaching credentials a glowing endorsement.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE SACKED PODCAST

Harvey, who is the Pies’ midfield coach and played 383 games for the Saints, says he’d look at a coaching opportunity “wherever that may be”.

“I haven’t done anything yet … I’ve really got my hands full at the moment with midfield at Collingwood,” the dual-Brownlow medallist said on AFL Tonight.

“(I) certainly haven’t had any approaches or done anything at this stage, so that’s where that’s at.

He said he wasn’t “hellbent” on coaching St Kilda.

“When you’ve been coaching for a while, that emotional side of it does tend to drift away,” Harvey said.

“I’m not hellbent on that (coaching the Saints), obviously there’s a lot of talk around that, but in the end, you’ve just got to put your head down and do your job and hopefully if an opportunity comes, that’d be great.”

Harvey said while he was focused on the Pies he did hope his efforts at the club over the past eight years would net him a senior coaching job.

“That’s the career path that I’m after,” he said.

“I’ve been doing some coaching for a long time, if that opportunity came, wherever that may be, I’d certainly look at that and that’s where I want to go.

“Right now, I’ve got my hands full with what I’m doing here, which I’m really enjoying, so hopefully it’s going to be a busy time of year coming up with Collingwood, I’m looking forward to that and hopefully we can finish the year really well.”

Pendlebury believes the Saints should move quickly to secure their favourite son to lead the club after the sacking of Alan Richardson.

“For me, it’s a no-brainer,” Pendlebury said on the Jock & Journo podcast.

“Being an ex-champion of the club, the commercial side of it too, I think a lot of St Kilda people would be rapt to just hear ‘Harvs’ mentioned in the conversation.”

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Micky Milkshake on coaches sacked and otherwise disposed of.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 2512e2bf1e

"Coaching legend Mick Malthouse says the attitude regarding sacked coaches needs to change

Sacked. It’s the dirtiest word in football. And for AFL coaches, it is usually a point of no return. But Mick Malthouse says that attitude is wrong, and it’s time for clubs to wake up to what they’re missing.
MICK MALTHOUSE,

Sacked. It’s the dirtiest word in football.

No matter how you paint it, sacked is sacked. And when it happens publicly, partway through a season, the coach’s name, it seems, is muddied forever.

But it shouldn’t be.

Plenty of coaches have gone from one club to another, on their own terms or by mutual consent. I did, as did Ross Lyon, John Worsfold, Paul Roos, Kevin Sheedy, Leigh Matthews, Denis Pagan, Malcolm Blight, Allan Jeans, Tom Hafey, and the list goes on.

A lot of these coaches had as much success, if not more, at their second and third clubs, as their first. Mainly because they took lessons learned from their former clubs with them.

And yet, when it comes to giving a second chance to a coach who has been sacked, it’s as though he is bloodstained.

Why?

I have no doubt that at the end of my six enjoyable and challenging years at Footscray that I was a better coach going into my first year at West Coast.

I was more experienced. I knew the competition better. I was cementing a game structure I thought would carry through to finals on a consistent basis. I dealt with players and different personalities better and I had a better understanding of club boards and how they operated.

Ten years down the track I was a more confident and better equipped coach again, moving to Collingwood.

That’s what happens with time and experience. You learn from every game, every season, every challenge and every highlight.

Recent history is littered with rookie coaches who didn’t work out at their given clubs. They lasted five years or less, and had few to no finals appearances.

Brendon Bolton, Scott Watters, Mark Neeld, Brenton Sanderson, Michael Voss, Justin Leppitsch, Guy McKenna, James Hird, Brett Ratten, Matthew Primus, Mark Harvey, Tony Shaw, Danny Frawley and Tim Watson.

For those who have gone on to become senior assistant coaches at AFL clubs, the experience gained in this role is invaluable.

In many respects they would have had a better chance to view the game without the pressure of being the one person held accountable each week.

They’ll have closely watched another senior coach and how he goes about his tasks. From the inner sanctum they’ll have witnessed what players do and don’t respond to. They’ll have been part of game strategy meetings and player selection.

In a way they have served an apprenticeship twice.

I hope St Kilda’s appointment of Brett Ratten as caretaker coach isn’t tokenism, but instead a genuine attempt to give a bloke a second chance.

Ratten has been here before. He took over as caretaker coach of Carlton when Pagan was sacked late in 2007 and went on to be the senior coach for the next five years.
Sacked_Promo_650_90_V2.png

He has since worked under Alastair Clarkson at Hawthorn and tasted premiership success at the Hawks three times, plus the challenge of a rebuild.

Ratten would no doubt have compared what he did at Carlton to what Clarkson does at Hawthorn and deducted from this what he needs to do as senior coach of St Kilda.

I hope for Brett’s sake he isn’t judged on a win-loss ratio with only six games left and the team in such a vulnerable position.

The Saints’ bookends — Paddy McCartin and Jake Carlisle — have been missing for most of the season. Their first-round draft pick, Max King, hasn’t played a senior game. Their captain Jarryn Geary was cut down by two unlucky contact injuries and played just five matches. Their 2018 best and fairest Jack Steven has played just four times. And their star recruit, Dan Hannebery, has managed only two games.

It’s a big ask for Ratten to turn things around with such little time to do so.
Brett Ratten is back in charge at the Saints. Picture: David Crosling

St Kilda takes on the Western Bulldogs on Sunday, who are on the up and in a win-only situation.

Then it’s the Demons, looking for late scalps and pride. To the fortress to face Adelaide, then home for Fremantle and Carlton, and back on the road to finish the season against the Swans in Sydney.

There isn’t really a blueprint for clubs who take on a sacked coach, because of the reluctance to do so in the past.

Way back when, Tony Jewell lost his job at Richmond (a year after winning a premiership) and only lasted a season and a half at St Kilda. Gary Ayres got the sack after five years at Geelong and then took the Crows to three finals series in five years at the club. And after five seasons of finals from eight at Sydney, Rodney Eade was shown the door before he coached for another seven years at the Bulldogs.

That’s very few examples from a high number of over-qualified assistant coaches.

I’m all for an unproven rookie coach being given a chance — just look at the way Rhyce Shaw and David Teague have taken on the challenge. Every coach has to start somewhere.

But I’m also for second chances.

So much has to do with the team you take over. Chris Scott, after assisting at Fremantle, stepped into a role where Geelong was cherry ripe and won a premiership in his first season. He has since had to remodel to get the Cats back to the top.

Damien Hardwick arrived at Richmond when the club had finished 15th and faced a long, tough road to premiership glory.

John Longmire and Nathan Buckley both took over clubs that had consistently played finals and won recent premierships, while Luke Beveridge and Clarkson had to do the hard yards to climb the ladder for a premiership tilt.

It won’t be smooth sailing for whoever gets the St Kilda job.

Two club greats who should be on the coaching short-list are Robert Harvey and Lenny Hayes.

Two-time Brownlow medallist Harvey has assisted at three clubs where he’s seen success and struggle, and can use that to his advantage. There is not a person in football who has a bad word to say about him.

Hayes is in his fourth year on the coaching staff at Greater Western Sydney and would also come with great credentials.

He was a quiet achiever as a player, tough as nails with a wonderful work ethic. From all reports he is a natural for the job.

The next six games are big for Ratten, a test he is well equipped to handle.

If people can get past the stigma attached to the word “sacked” and look at credentials on their merit, then second chances will be equal to first chances."

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Harves is definitely in the conversation

Done a long and successful apprenticeship and wouldn’t have lasted in those roles if he was an ineffective communicator, which is a view only held by those who don’t know him personally.

Truth is, most people have zero idea what he’s like behind closed doors, and only the people inside the 4 walls of the Collingwood FC would.

Rest is just guess work

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 3:14pm Harves is definitely in the conversation

Done a long and successful apprenticeship and wouldn’t have lasted in those roles if he was an ineffective communicator, which is a view only held by those who don’t know him personally.

Truth is, most people have zero idea what he’s like behind closed doors, and only the people inside the 4 walls of the Collingwood FC would.

Rest is just guess work
Never have you spoken truer words, or at least posted them.

I am astounded by posters who probably have never come closer to Banger than from a seat in the stands, yet pontificate upon his coaching ability and even his communication skills.

This guy is the midfield coach of a team that was a kick away from the flag last year and could even jag it this year.

Unbelievable really.

BonoRocks
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 3:19pm

Rest is just guess work

I am astounded by posters who probably have never come closer to Banger than from a seat in the stands, yet pontificate upon his coaching ability and even his communication skills.

This guy is the midfield coach of a team that was a kick away from the flag last year and could even jag it this year.

Unbelievable really.

Plenty of experts online form those opinions with nfi

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BonoRocks wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 3:46pm
saynta wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 3:19pm

Rest is just guess work

Unbelievable really.

Plenty of experts online form those opinions with nfi
Yep.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

See Point 2.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 11:27am
fugazi wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 8:43am Banger can't coach. He can only just speak.
God bless him.
Says who, apart from you.?The collingwood captain certainly thinks he can coach.
Says ex Collingwood players (and at least 1 present one) who perhaps have different private opinion to whatever they may say in public.
Not a senior coach.

Nee!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote: Sun 21 Jul 2019 2:20pm
saynta wrote: Sat 20 Jul 2019 11:27am
God bless him.
Says ex Collingwood players (and at least 1 present one) who perhaps have different private opinion to whatever they may say in public.
Not a senior coach.
Wasn't aware Skinny Lapin played for the filth. Thank you for broadening my eduction. :roll: :roll: :roll:

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

?

Nee!
Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... fa149802f6

Based on Harves comments its a little hard to understand the OP as he states ... has currently not been contacted or made contact about the Saints job, but does have ambition to be a senior coach in the future

From the article....19.07.19

Robert Harvey confirms interest in senior coaching role, despite no approaches yet
St Kilda legend Robert Harvey has heard the rumbles about his potential return to the Saints as senior coach, but the Collingwood midfield coach says he’s just hoping for an opportunity “wherever that may be”.

St Kilda legend Robert Harvey says he is yet to interview for any of the vacant AFL coaching jobs and says the emotion for the Saints has drifted away in his time as an assistant at Collingwood.

The Saints, Carlton and North Melbourne are on the hunt for new senior coaches after their incumbents moved on mid-season and Pies captain Scott Pendlebury has since given Harvey’s coaching credentials a glowing endorsement.

Harvey, who is the Pies’ midfield coach and played 383 games for the Saints, says he’d look at a coaching opportunity “wherever that may be”.

“I haven’t done anything yet … I’ve really got my hands full at the moment with midfield at Collingwood,” the dual-Brownlow medallist said on AFL Tonight.

I certainly haven’t had any approaches or done anything at this stage, so that’s where that’s at.

He said he wasn’t “hellbent” on coaching St Kilda.

“When you’ve been coaching for a while, that emotional side of it does tend to drift away,” Harvey said.

“I’m not hellbent on that (coaching the Saints), obviously there’s a lot of talk around that, but in the end, you’ve just got to put your head down and do your job and hopefully if an opportunity comes, that’d be great.”

Harvey said while he was focused on the Pies he did hope his efforts at the club over the past eight years would net him a senior coaching job.

“That’s the career path that I’m after,” he said.

“I’ve been doing some coaching for a long time, if that opportunity came, wherever that may be, I’d certainly look at that and that’s where I want to go.

“Right now, I’ve got my hands full with what I’m doing here, which I’m really enjoying, so hopefully it’s going to be a busy time of year coming up with Collingwood, I’m looking forward to that and hopefully we can finish the year really well.”

Pendlebury believes the Saints should move quickly to secure their favourite son to lead the club after the sacking of Alan Richardson.

“For me, it’s a no-brainer,” Pendlebury said on the Jock & Journo podcast.

“Being an ex-champion of the club, the commercial side of it too, I think a lot of St Kilda people would be rapt to just hear ‘Harvs’ mentioned in the conversation.”

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.