Hannebery unlikely to play AFL in first month of season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Hannebery unlikely to play AFL in first month of season

Gee there are things that make me angry about this club. Jack Hill the blind miner could see that he had 'problem' written all over him. And we sign him to a 5 year contract! Honestly.

summertime and the living is easy ........
GilsAuPair
Club Player

"He's a little warrior, he's obviously been a champion player. I reckon it's caught up with him."
Could just as easily be talking about Bobby Skilton.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I bet the Swans have fallen off their chairs laughing!

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
guitars4
Club Player

The_Dud wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 11:53am I bet the Swans have fallen off their chairs laughing!
Yep I reckon they will be pissing themselves

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

Sydney knew he was cooked, everyone with a clue knew he was cooked, anyone who could be bothered doing due diligence would have known he was cooked.

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

ST KILDA concedes it didn't know the full extent of prized recruit Dan Hannebery's struggles with his body when it traded for him.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

It's very, very early in the piece. I will personally judge the quality of the recruitment of Dan at the end of his 5 year contract. It's only Rd 1 into a 5 year contract. 😮

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 11:09am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 3:24pm The decision to recruit Hannebery borders on corruption.
Thought I'd revisit your post in light of the events this moring with Richo on SEN. Did you know what Richo knew?
I knew four-fifths of f*** all but could still work it out.

Sweet jesus

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

skeptic wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 10:54am
samoht wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 9:08am The main difference between us and the successful teams is our hit and miss recruiting - a lot of it is unnecessarily speculative and outside our needs.

If Freeman was not enough, now it appears we have "Expensiveman".

Even if Hannebery comes good, it's good that we're squirming at this stage.

Hopefully we will stop all the speculating (or limit it to one every 5 years) and go after the healthy, big fish from now on.
I have to say Samoht... have argued with you on this point a bit over 3 months and I still think our development is a major concern that impacts how we view recruiting, but geeeeeeeeeeez its very much becoming a deafening sound
The unfortunate thing is this deafening sound is falling on deaf recruiting ears - that's if it's reaching them, which I doubt ( as they wouldn't - some might even say couldn't - be reading this forum).
I'm just trying to drown out the "it's all the coach's fault" cacophony.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:33pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 12:46pm It's very, very early in the piece. I will personally judge the quality of the recruitment of Dan at the end of his 5 year contract. It's only Rd 1 into a 5 year contract. 😮
I judged the value of his recruitment on the day he was recruited.
I said he will struggle to play more than ten games a year and would miss more games than he plays on the day of his recruitment.
I knew he was cooked and was appalled at the total incompetence and mind numbing stupidity of those who recruited him.
Then if this wasn't enough stupidity already, those responsible for this ineptitude gave a 28 year old coming off two very ordinary injury interrupted seasons a contract of $800,000 a year for five years.
And just make things even more diabolical, St.kilda gave Sydney what is likely to be either pick 19, 20 or 21 and pick 39 for pick 28.
Sydney would have been laughing that a club was idiotic enough to actually offer them an extra second round selection while at the same time allowing them to free up their cap space by offloading a player they already knew was totally cooked.

I knew he was cooked and anyone with a clue knew he was cooked.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

That's your opinion and that's ok. It's full of speculation and that's ok too.

Personally, I'll judge his recruitment at the end of 5 years, not at Rd 1 into a 5 year contract. I'll also get behind the club and Dan and wish he has a great 5 years at the Saints.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 12:46pm It's very, very early in the piece. I will personally judge the quality of the recruitment of Dan at the end of his 5 year contract. It's only Rd 1 into a 5 year contract. 😮
Its 5 months since he started training with us - I think that is plenty of time for our 'so called great medical team' to work out his body is a mess! Is it any wonder we have the history we do - we continue to make the same stupid mistakes.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Wed 20 Mar 2019 11:36am I think it was a mistake, a big one, but I will at least wait for half the season to be over before writing him off.
I don't reckon you'll get a chance to write him off if you're waiting for mid-2019! :lol: Maybe take a look at him mid 2020?

I'd mentally written him off for the year anyway, hoping to see improvement in our core from last year as a priority. But for the club to fess up to not knowing the extent of his injuries, having pursued him for months, is just astounding! Who's Lethers gonna cast off to make it look like a legitimately considered recruiting decision then, as someone needs to get the arse for it and guaranteed it won't be him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Why take unnecessary risks? - even if this somehow works out - Hannebery beats the odds and returns to his AA form, this is still a valid question to ask.
There are plenty of healthy, expensive, big fish in the ocean - worth paying top dollar for.
Last edited by samoht on Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:43pm Why take unnecessary risks? - even if this somehow works out - Hannebery beats the odds and returns to his AA form, this is still a valid question.
there are plenty of healthy, expensive big fish in the ocean - worth paying top dollar for.
Hopefully we'll still have a budget to do so! :shock:

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Impatient Sainter wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 1:41pm
Its 5 months since he started training with us - I think that is plenty of time for our 'so called great medical team' to work out his body is a mess! Is it any wonder we have the history we do - we continue to make the same stupid mistakes.
Saying his body is a mess is pure speculation sorry. We actually do have one of the best high performance teams in the AFL and they are close to getting him right after a couple of injury issues the past 2 years. His body hasn't had enough load training and that's why they're being cautious. Very normal procedure and they are better off getting him fully right before he starts playing into a long 5 year contract. Just forget he is a big name we recruited, the club or any AFL club would do the same for any player like Dan H in this situation.

Total = 1.
CarlD
Club Player

So, we've taken several months to get him this far - round 6 … hmmmm.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Hypothetically if he is unable to play this year can we terminate the contract without much financial impact? . Surely there has to be some clause to say you have to play at least a certain amount of games to get paid

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 2:41pm
Surely there has to be some clause to say you have to play at least a certain amount of games to get paid
I wouldn't hold my breath.

Aussie Jonestown
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 2:41pm Hypothetically if he is unable to play this year can we terminate the contract without much financial impact? . Surely there has to be some clause to say you have to play at least a certain amount of games to get paid
Vazelos wrote: Tue 19 Mar 2019 5:38pm Hannebery won’t be available until Round 4 at the nearest that’s the latest from my sources.
He has a 800k contract with few if any performance based clauses ie. he gets paid regardless if he plays. His hamstrings are very dodgy I know that from a few sources so Lethlean has opened himself up to an inside job between 2 old Xavier boys.
If there are no performance based clauses in the contract then Simon Lethlean and anyone else responsible for this insanity and total incompetence should be sacked immediately.
It's already outrageous enough that they did not do due diligence, that they paid an injury riddled 28 year old coming off two very ordinary seasons $800,000 a year for five years and gave up a second round draft pick which is likely to be 19, 20 or 21 and pick 39 for pick 28.
If there are no performance based clauses relating to every year of the Hannebery contract then this is beyond reprehensible and a serious inditement on the incompetence of those responsible for this idiotic stupidity.

portosaint
Club Player

I'm staggered no one has mentioned Dan's role in all this. Obviously he himself was misleading about how bad his body actually is.... When 800k a year is on offer, why not I guess?
Says a lot IMO though. Honesty should be a required trait for a leader one would think.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

So is it time to give up on Freeman yet?
Are the same people responsible for both these blunders?
We are a true laughing stock of the AFL!

ListManager
Club Player

When I posted my derogatory post regarding St Kilda's recruiting sfaff I got a one week ban. Seriously? Our club is now the laughing stock of the AFL. I have done a full analysis of our list. and even if we do everything right from now it will be 2024 before we play finals again. We all bagged Melbourne because they were out of the finals for 11 years yet we are set to "beat" this record. If I am correct I really fear for our survival. When does the AFL say enough, you're not sustainable relocate to Tassie? When our debt hits $20 mill? It is currently $12 mill. Our situation is dire make no mistake about that

NeXus Nick is back but where is Joffaboy????
takeaway
Club Player

What's up with Dan? Has he retired as well?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Aussie Jonestown" post_id=1778730

If there are no performance based clauses in the contract then Simon Lethlean and anyone else responsible for this insanity and total incompetence should be sacked immediately.

[/quote]

Are there performance based clauses for Simon Lethlean?

Our board should be all over this.

Governance 101.

But not to worry, we have FIVE years to work this out.

Btw. Richo is a real nice guy by here by doing this through the media.

Anyone with half a brain can work out that he’s left Lethers to hang out to dry.
Yeah, riiighht!!!
Last edited by SaintPav on Fri 22 Mar 2019 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Fri 22 Mar 2019 6:28pm What's up with Dan? Has he retired as well?
He doesn't need to...