The Cho: vote now

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Cho: vote now

A question for Saynta (and anyone else upset about Richo’s new nickname), can you please indicate how many times you reported Stonecold for using the nickname ‘Hickledick’ in reference to Tom Hickey.

Cheers.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

What does "Hickledick" mean?
Does it have a meaning other than rhyming with his last name?
I can't find one personally.

All I got was:
https://myspace.com/donta_12/mixes
Some dude with the last name "Hickledick" that likes music on the entire WWW.
Last edited by tedtheodorelogan2018 on Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:28pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
stonecold
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:20pm A question for Saynta (and anyone else upset about Richo’s new nickname), can you please indicate how many times you reported Stonecold for using the nickname ‘Hickledick’ in reference to Tom Hickey.

Cheers.
It's "Hickledik" not "Hickledick"!!!!!

And, as stated, he answers to that name!!!!!

So not offensive at all, leave me out of this one thanks and stop trying to stir the pot!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:26pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:20pm A question for Saynta (and anyone else upset about Richo’s new nickname), can you please indicate how many times you reported Stonecold for using the nickname ‘Hickledick’ in reference to Tom Hickey.

Cheers.

So not offensive at all, leave me out of this one thanks and stop trying to stir the pot!!!!!
Its all just diversion tactics and innuendo from the real topic at hand Mr Austin. Similar to bringing up usernames and the like to try justify the vulgar term banned by the moderator.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

So not offensive at all...
Well, I gather you've not looked up 'hickle' on Urban Dictionary! :shock:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Cheers.

For the record, I’m not trying to stop the use of either nickname, and don’t really have a problem with either, just trying to gain a sense of consistency from certain posters.

And I believe if I yelled out ‘Cho’ Richo would turn around.

And who are you fooling, I don’t think you ever said anything about Hickey that wasn’t meant to be offensive to him ;)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:30pm its all just diversion tactics and innuendo
That's exactly what this whole thing is about.

stonecold
SS Life Member

degruch wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:31pm
Anything can be offensive when you 'Edit' to suit!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
degruch
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:34pm
degruch wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:31pm
Anything can be offensive when you 'Edit' to suit!!!!!
For the record, I don't find 'edit' offensive whatsoever, and it checks out on Urban Dictionary too! Phew.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Gee you blokes are competitive. We've got a ring a ding ding battle here.

Where's matrix with the popcorn?

Passion and emotion shown from both sides. There will be scars from this battle, but it's a fight that has to fought.

This is now a dead set contest to the finish with no side giving an inch to their rivals.

The fiercest competitors are showing great leadership qualities

Whatever happens, I think this site will be better in the end because most posters would agree that this is a democratic site and I'm glad that Simon is reconsidering his initial decision

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:33pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 1:30pm its all just diversion tactics and innuendo
That's exactly what this whole thing is about.
Ever notice how Ted never answers direct questions?

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Because they have been answered before or not worthy of a response. Discuss the Saints and footy.

Total = 1.
Whiskey
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 11:59am
skeptic wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 11:52am

It’s very clear what’s going on here

The sad reality is that there are 2 forumites here that are involved in about 90% of all the conflicts on this forum. People like you, me, Dragit etc get drawn into these ridiculous things more than we should but there are 2 that are always over-represented.

Having been repeatedly hammered by numerous posters for either attacking their credibility to post, posting information that’s not true or just a degree of righteousness... both forumites latched onto this Cho thing as an attempt to get people in trouble.

This has failed dismally after being repeatedly exposed for the nonsensical farce that it is so tboth have backtracked now to trying to take the moral high ground in seeking the word to be banned on moral grounds.

Simon, who does a very good job, instead recognising this for the farce that it is has bought right into it.

This focus should be on the people here constantly starting trouble out of nothing.
Nothing could be clearer.

I'm in shock that it's even being debated.
Spot on guys. Cannot believe what im reading. Absolute petty bs by the usual sooky crowd

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 11:41am If it's a controversial term - which it is now, whether it was intended to be or not - why use it?
What's the big deal ?

It certainly is disrespectful, one way or the other - even outside its sexual connotations.

It's not meant to compliment.

Respect!
sorry but that's a very poor argument. i'm now aware of the other meanings behind 'banger', 'plugger', 'roo', and a few others. as are most of us. should be therefore refrain from using them?
will you? i'd expect so.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
degruch
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 2:10pm Because they have been answered before or not worthy of a response. Discuss the Saints and footy.
I assumed Roger has received no answer because you've been flat out trying to find an example of the 'cho used as an insult. Should keep you busy for a while though.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Who is Rodger and where did he ask me a question?

Anyway. The mod banned it. Stop using the term and get over. I'm out of this thread. Its got ridiculous.

Total = 1.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 11:35am Do you know what I’d like to see...

A clear instance of someone using that term to insult Richo in the context as stated.

That’s really the point here.

2 posters on this forum have stated that it’s happened numerous times... well saying it’s happened isn’t good enough.

Quote it on this thread so we can see?
The term Cho used to insult Richo in a sexually inappropriate manner.

It’s repeatedly said that this is the case so show it.

Otherwise there should be some consequence for trouble making.
My apologies Ted, it was Skeptic's Solomon-esque wisdom in play...I think this pretty much closes the case IMO.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

desertsaint wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 2:17pm
samoht wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 11:41am If it's a controversial term - which it is now, whether it was intended to be or not - why use it?
What's the big deal ?

It certainly is disrespectful, one way or the other - even outside its sexual connotations.

Respect!
sorry but that's a very poor argument. i'm now aware of the other meanings behind 'banger', 'plugger', 'roo', and a few others. as are most of us. should be therefore refrain from using them?
will you? i'd expect so.
Let me put it this way ...
banger, plugger, roo -- they are long-established nicknames. Have they ever been used in a derogotary way to disparage the player and the person concerned?
it's the context ... where and how you use the term, the nickname, etc.. that defines whether it's being used pejoratively or in a complimentary way.
It's not that people should "refrain" from using any term or nickname..... it's just the constant "refrain" of "the Cho" used in a negative way that is
wrong, in my opinion. Everywhere it's being used, it's being used to slight the coach, and the person themselves, ultimately. The way I sense it.

This is a public forum, I think Simon is doing the right thing - assessing it. Aside from the offensive use of the term itself, the perpetual abuse of our coach and family man is wrong. It's certainly not right.
He is not a gangsta - that's what "the Cho" suggests to me. It's not a fitting term, anyway. It has no place in this public forum, IMHO.

The connotation of a nickname is always negative, if it's constantly being used in that fashion - to abuse and put down.
Whatever Simon decides, we should accept his considered decision - and be civil and respectful about it - i.e., don't start abusing Simon. :|

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm...I don't know if "it's the vibe your honour" cuts it though, as the term was never used as an insult on here until Ted implied it. Maybe I ain't no street walkin' cheetah, hanging out in the clubs Ted and Saynta frequent, but who'd ever heard it used as anything but an abbreviation for Richo until then? Seems like no-one! I shouldn't feed the trolls, but neither should the mods.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 2:51pm
What's the big deal ?

Respect!
will you? i'd expect so.
banger, plugger, roo -- they are long-established nicknames. Have they ever been used in a derogotary way to disparage the player and the person concerned?
it's the context ... where and how you use the term, the nickname, etc.. that defines whether it's being used pejoratively or in a complimentary way.
It's not that people should "refrain" from using any term or nickname..... it's just the constant "refrain" of "the Cho" used in a negative way that is
wrong, in my opinion. Everywhere it's being used, it's being used to slight the coach, and the person themselves, ultimately. The way I sense it.

This is a public forum, I think Simon is doing the right thing - assessing it. Aside from the offensive use of the term itself, the perpetual abuse of our coach and family man is wrong. It's certainly not right.
He is not a gangsta - that's what "the Cho" suggests to me. It's not a fitting term, anyway. It has no place in this public forum, IMHO.

The connotation of a nickname is always negative, if it's constantly being used in that fashion - to abuse and put down.
Whatever Simon decides, we should accept his considered decision - and be civil and respectful about it - i.e., don't start abusing Simon. :|
well we'll have to agree to disagree. i think the disparaging or supporting of richo comes via the comments, not the nickname.
I have heard roo, plugger, and banger all spoken about in disparaging terms by other fans, but it didn't make their use of the nick abusive, and certainly I never thought to ask them to refrain, or think they were using one of the cruder meaning. Even if they had - so what?
we all see the world through our own eyes - those who try to enforce what they see upon others are either ignorant or oppressive.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
samoht
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 4:41pm
well we'll have to agree to disagree. i think the disparaging or supporting of richo comes via the comments, not the nickname.
I have heard roo, plugger, and banger all spoken about in disparaging terms by other fans, but it didn't make their use of the nick abusive, and certainly I never thought to ask them to refrain, or think they were using one of the cruder meaning. Even if they had - so what?
we all see the world through our own eyes - those who try to enforce what they see upon others are either ignorant or oppressive.
I actually agree with you up to a point.
By other fans, yes - you expect it from opposition fans.
We speak disparagingly about opposition players, too and even have our home-grown whipping boys (but we always refer to them by their real names, as weller, newnes, etc.. - not by "clever" made-up nicknames though, which is like issuing a carte-blanche licence to start abusing them at will, while thinking of ourselves as cool - almost making it a sport).
I've never come across one "Cho" or "the Cho" post that was complimentary. With "Richo", it's more balanced - a mixed bag - some are negative comments, some positive, and it usually never reaches the same level of disrespect.
Cho and the Cho seems to encourage base behaviour - maybe it's good to nip it in the bud?
That's all I'm saying .
Last edited by samoht on Mon 26 Nov 2018 5:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

What's the big deal ?

Respect!
will you? i'd expect so.

You're arguing a different point.

Basically, I see that you are openly expressing what the main instigators of this debate are really pushing also.

You are defending the coach's honour, and don't like people constantly hanging s*** on him. Fair enough.

But that doesn't make 'the cho' an offensive term.

I never liked it when people called GT 'Cornflakes'. It gave me the s***s - but that didn't make it offensive. However if I looked up the term on Urban Dictionary and searched hard enough - I would have found one of the most outrageous and repugnant definitions I've ever read!

The same nonsense is happening here.

Defending the coach, and 'the cho' being offensive are two completely and utterly different issues.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 5:07pm
What's the big deal ?

Respect!
will you? i'd expect so.

You're arguing a different point.

Basically, I see that you are openly expressing what the main instigators of this debate are really pushing also.

You are defending the coach's honour, and don't like people constantly hanging s*** on him. Fair enough.

But that doesn't make 'the cho' an offensive term.

I never liked it when people called GT 'Cornflakes'. It gave me the s***s - but that didn't make it offensive. However if I looked up the term on Urban Dictionary and searched hard enough - I would have found one of the most outrageous and repugnant definitions I've ever read!

The same nonsense is happening here.

Defending the coach, and 'the cho' being offensive are two completely and utterly different issues.
Read my above post - that's how I feel anyway (directly above your post). I associate Cho and "the Cho" as a licence to disparage Richo, and making it a cool sport.
Last edited by samoht on Mon 26 Nov 2018 5:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 5:08pm

Read my above post - that's how I feel anyway (directly above your post).
Exactly.

You're arguing a totally different point.

This isn't about whether people like or dislike Richardson, or whether they should or shouldn't say mean things about him.

It's about whether or not the term 'cho' is vulgar and offensive.

It's not.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote: Mon 26 Nov 2018 5:08pm that's how I feel anyway
Yep, you seem unable to effectively discuss the actual situation here because you are too emotionally involved with a wider issue.

I don't like Richo or want him coaching us any more - however I absolutely reject the premise that posters have been using a nickname with some hidden agenda relating to a lewd sexual description. That is the accusation we are discussing which I find really offensive to be honest.