West Coast Chasing Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Re: West Coast Chasing Hickey

stonecold wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 9:20am
Hemi Baxter wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 9:15am
chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 12:25am I am really amazed that other clubs are chasing these blokes, but then again, if their own club doesnt rate them ...well.....I dont know the answer. Good luck to them but I will be surprised if they improve somewhere else. They will probably look better if they have yeo, gaff dangerfield etc sharking the ball. Hickey will go well with East Perth and Longer will have to be better than Smith and Stanley to get a game.
I don’t think anyone is chasing Longer.
Your entitled to that opinion!!!!!
Stoney - if Longer goes to Geelong, will you be going too? (serious question)

stonecold
SS Life Member

freely wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 10:01am
chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 12:25am I am really amazed that other clubs are chasing these blokes, but then again, if their own club doesnt rate them ...well.....I dont know the answer. Good luck to them but I will be surprised if they improve somewhere else. They will probably look better if they have yeo, gaff dangerfield etc sharking the ball. Hickey will go well with East Perth and Longer will have to be better than Smith and Stanley to get a game.
No, I'm an old Saint from way back!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
chico2001
Club Player

It would be a prudent move to keep one of them. The other guys are too green at the moment. Should get some type of trade for Hickey. WCE have 3 ruckmen at the minute so Lycett must be going to make way for Hickey if the saints trade him.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 11:32am It would be a prudent move to keep one of them. The other guys are too green at the moment. Should get some type of trade for Hickey. WCE have 3 ruckmen at the minute so Lycett must be going to make way for Hickey if the saints trade him.
They're only covering their arse for the inevitable...if Lycett doesn't leave, Hickey won't be coming. Despite what a handful say on here, Lycett is an upgrade on Hickey, and Hickey is better than most other available options (Roughead, Leunberger, etc), they're only looking out of necessity.

takeaway
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 11:49pm
takeaway wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 8:46pm
chico2001 wrote: Thu 20 Sep 2018 7:35pm Sad day for football when these two ruckman "Hickey and Longer" are being chased by other clubs and may get good contracts. Got height as their asset and nothing else.
Footy players about 6ft around the country who have good skills and cant get a game have to watch on by as those 2 numpties get a game, neither of whom can pick the ball up off the ground without tripping over their own feet.. A f***cking joke. Good riddance, let them go.
Classy. A numpty is a stupid person. So you are saying that Hickey and Longer, who have played over 120 AFL games between them, are not up to AFL standard? So they each earn hundreds of thousands of dollars each year, and at least one other club is interested in trading for Hickey (I say Longer as well), and they cannot play footy? Pretty smart to get away with that in my view, and certainly not numpties. What club do you really support?
Hey classy, Numpty means ineffectual as well. How about the worst AFL ruckmen going around at the minute. Name one worse expert. Who are we looking at Witts...nope, how about Kreuser...nope I have seen Hickey and Longer play, live at least half a dozen times and every other game on TV that they have played except reserves. One could not get a game last year, the other one could not get a game this year. Longer could not get a game in 2016. More than several times Longer could not get a kick and could not lay a tackle. Hickey was widely derided for some of his efforts this year, so ask some AFL commentators who have played 600 games between them how good some of Hickeys efforts have been. Google that and get back to us expert.
Longer took 5 marks this year and check out some of hickey's stats though they are better than Longers.
A clear indicator of how players with low AFL skillsets are way overpaid when these guys get pd hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.
Dont ask which club I support, ask how much I know about football and I tell you what........ it is a fair bit more than you. You need to watch a lot more games yet to get an idea of who can play footy and who cant.
Ha Ha. You should avoid repeat posting on topics because you just dig a deeper hole for yourself. Seen Hickey & Longer live at least half a dozen times? I have seen each of them live at least 5 times that amount, plus most TV games. You know a fair bit more about football than me? How would you know? By a few of your posts I doubt it very much. Anyway that is a pointless exercise.

I think they both have proven they are easily AFL standard. True, they have weaknesses, Billy around the ground and Hick in the actual ruck contests, but they are certainly not numpties. They have had a few injuries and tended to swap spots each year. Hickey had an injury riddled 2014 and did not play that many games in 2015 because Billy was busy establishing himself as an AFL standard ruckman. In 2016, Billy missed a lot of the year due to concussion and other injuries, hence did not play, but Tom established himself as an AFL standard ruckman with a very good year. In 2017 it was back to Billy, and the following article illustrates his year:

"After not playing a game last season, St Kilda ruckman Billy Longer reignited his career in 2017, wrestling control of the No. 1 ruck mantle at Linen House Centre.

The former top ten pick was rewarded for his strong summer on the track with an opportunity in Round 5 and never looked back, only missing one game due to injury in Round 17.

With concussion, fitness and form issues holding him back in 2016, a hungrier Longer kept Tom Hickey out of the ruck for most of the season by averaging the third most hitouts (38.6) in the competition and the fourth best hitout win percentage (54.2%).

He entrenched himself inside St Kilda’s engine room when he outplayed Shane Mumford in the Saints' impressive win over Greater Western Sydney in Round 7 and further highlighted his class when he beat last year’s All-Australian ruckman Max Gawn in Round 21.

The former Brisbane Lions ruckman amassed 40 or more hitouts on two occasions, including two hauls of more than 50, with his tally of 55 against the Western Bulldogs in Round 10 the second most ever recorded by a St Kilda ruckman".

A "numpty" ruckman would not beat Gawn or Mumford. I think Hickey has shaded Gawn in a contest as well. So they are not the best going around, but certainly not "a joke". Probably hampered also by injuries and not getting several seasons in a row. You are entitled to criticise them, but a true Saints supporter would not call them "numpties" or "a f***ing joke". You did not answer my question - what club do you really support? I'm going Demons.

chico2001
Club Player

Making excuses again..Thats all I see...excuses. Take away the excuses and what have you got left? Nothing...two Ruckman who cannot hardly get the ball and from memory they are way way back even in hit outs list for AFL ruckmen. If they cant even win hitouts with their height then what good are they. I dont care how many times you have watched them, does that make them better ruckment does it? because you have watched them. Doubt your knowledge in any aspect of the game if you want to call those two ruckmen good or equal to AFL standard. Cherry picked 2 games over 5 years in which they actually beat an opposition ruckman...yeah...absolutely brilliant...
Opposition supporters laugh their box off at people like you, ...you actually drag the club down. Even the club doesnt rate them.

takeaway
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 2:37pm Making excuses again..Thats all I see...excuses. Take away the excuses and what have you got left? Nothing...two Ruckman who cannot hardly get the ball and from memory they are way way back even in hit outs list for AFL ruckmen. If they cant even win hitouts with their height then what good are they. I dont care how many times you have watched them, does that make them better ruckment does it? because you have watched them. Doubt your knowledge in any aspect of the game if you want to call those two ruckmen good or equal to AFL standard. Cherry picked 2 games over 5 years in which they actually beat an opposition ruckman...yeah...absolutely brilliant...
Opposition supporters laugh their box off at people like you, ...you actually drag the club down. Even the club doesnt rate them.
Cherry picked? That was part of an article. Opposition supporters - yes, you'd know - good luck with the Dees in Perth tomorrow. If you can get out of your hole.

derby Street
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 2:37pm Making excuses again..Thats all I see...excuses. Take away the excuses and what have you got left? Nothing...two Ruckman who cannot hardly get the ball and from memory they are way way back even in hit outs list for AFL ruckmen. If they cant even win hitouts with their height then what good are they. I dont care how many times you have watched them, does that make them better ruckment does it? because you have watched them. Doubt your knowledge in any aspect of the game if you want to call those two ruckmen good or equal to AFL standard. Cherry picked 2 games over 5 years in which they actually beat an opposition ruckman...yeah...absolutely brilliant...
Shouldn't you be worrying about the filths game tonight. Hickey and Longer should be the least of your worries.

chico2001
Club Player

derby Street wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 2:47pm
Shouldn't you be worrying about the filths game tonight. Hickey and Longer should be the least of your worries.
haha, make sure you wash your beanie before you go out tonight and give those army boots a scrub up. Have a tub too, I can smell you from here

derby Street
Club Player

chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 3:42pm
derby Street wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 2:47pm
haha, make sure you wash your beanie before you go out tonight and give those army boots a scrub up. Have a tub too, I can smell you from here
I will make sure I clean my teeth as well - something you mob don't have to worry about. :D

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Pray God yes

Go you red, black & white warriors
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If anyone is chasing Longer, it won't take long to catch up with him.

chico2001
Club Player

If you threw $50 bucks on the ground right in front of him it would be pretty safe for 5-10 minutes. I reckon he will go and Hickey will stay.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Saintmatt wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 4:43pm
Pray God yes
See, your little statement says much!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
chico2001
Club Player

For those of you who love 2nd hand ruckmen, you got a good idea of the impact a top ruckman can have on a game and thats not counting what Gawn can do. Keep chasing midfielders and you will get what you always got.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 11:38pm For those of you who love 2nd hand ruckmen, you got a good idea of the impact a top ruckman can have on a game and thats not counting what Gawn can do. Keep chasing midfielders and you will get what you always got.

Yep that’s why Longer is better than Hickey. Longer may get less touches but rarely gets dominated in the ruck.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
chico2001
Club Player

Not our best period in that draft era 2012 and 2013. We traded out Ben Mcevoy and gave away pick 13 for Hickey and pick 12 for Tom Lee. But we did get L. Pierce for nothing......Ohh for a Grundy.

chico2001
Club Player

You have to get the ball, the game is not decided by hit outs. Longer does not get a kick and Hickey seems as if he is not having a go

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Fri 21 Sep 2018 11:56pm You have to get the ball, the game is not decided by hit outs. Longer does not get a kick and Hickey seems as if he is not having a go
Longer at worst squares the contest gives our midd a chance. Longers rap work is excellent.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
chico2001
Club Player

Longer is definetly more competative than Hickey for sure and has more aggression, just get the feeling neither of those ruckmen are going to get any better and wont be part of any saints team that is pushing for finals action.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Longers rap work is excellent.
I’m glad he’s got another career to fall back on.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 12:38am
CURLY wrote:Longers rap work is excellent.
I’m glad he’s got another career to fall back on.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

50¢ over five years?

Seeya
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Is it just me or are we looking at this idea of trading Hickey incorrectly...

Everybody is saying a second round... around pick #40 is fair. Off the record I agree

A 27yo ruckman in his prime, capable of his 2016 standard. Ready to walk right in to a premiership contending. Ruckman aren’t easy to come by

I reckon we need to go harder here

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 6:09pm Is it just me or are we looking at this idea of trading Hickey incorrectly...

Everybody is saying a second round... around pick #40 is fair. Off the record I agree

A 27yo ruckman in his prime, capable of his 2016 standard. Ready to walk right in to a premiership contending. Ruckman aren’t easy to come by

I reckon we need to go harder here
Pick 40?! That’s not really a second round pick.

More like pick 25-30. Hickey is an established and contracted ruckman (I think), so if they really want him they need to cough up. We can afford to hold out on this.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.