2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lloyd21
Club Player

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

ORourke Plowman Jaksch all uncontracted so will be Josh Bruce situation if any of these want to get opportunity and payed
more $ saints are the best fit plus finishing low means Gws have to deal as all these want to come home to Victoria they won't go the Lions . Really hope they get Lamb can play Wing ! Centre Half forward ! Midfield ! just see him bar injury causing mayhem in 3 years .Petracca same basketball background strong very good kick for goal again can play midfield (losing lot of weight this year) love the both of them.

Jimmy O'Dea
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:ORourke Plowman Jaksch all uncontracted so will be Josh Bruce situation if any of these want to get opportunity and payed
more $ saints are the best fit plus finishing low means Gws have to deal as all these want to come home to Victoria they won't go the Lions . Really hope they get Lamb can play Wing ! Centre Half forward ! Midfield ! just see him bar injury causing mayhem in 3 years .Petracca same basketball background strong very good kick for goal again can play midfield (losing lot of weight this year) love the both of them.
+1 for Petracca. One of the most dangerous player in the under 18's. When he is on he is great to watch. Think he could be anything in the AFL system. Will turn into a powerful mid who kicks goals.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Jacksh is interesting. Is very much a Tom Lynch type scenario, taken 12/13, could snare him for around mid 30s pick.

Shiel, Patton, Thomlinson, Plowman, Treloar, Rourke, Jacksh, Corr - all names I'd be interested in.

Our stance on getting Bruce might go one of two ways, hopefully it wont burn us for the future with them.

If we went to draft, all along I've been keen on McCartin - interesting how everyone is comparing to Plugger - didnt he also have diebetes?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote: If we went to draft, all along I've been keen on McCartin - interesting how everyone is comparing to Plugger - didnt he also have diebetes?
I know he had asthma; don't know about diabetes.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
St Ick wrote: If we went to draft, all along I've been keen on McCartin - interesting how everyone is comparing to Plugger - didnt he also have diebetes?
I know he had asthma; don't know about diabetes.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/g ... 6671609852

Strength through Loyalty
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon they'll be a few delistings at years end and we all know who they're going to be.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Hoskin-Elliot is the player I would want.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Dylan Shiel 34 touches before going off injured in the last quarter. He's the guy we want. Contracted but wants to come back to Vic.

PJ
SS Life Member

Old Mate wrote:Dylan Shiel 34 touches before going off injured in the last quarter. He's the guy we want. Contracted but wants to come back to Vic.
Then they'll absolutely want an arm and leg for him perhaps even a hip and a shoulder. No until he's uncontracted.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Dylan Shiel 34 touches before going off injured in the last quarter. He's the guy we want. Contracted but wants to come back to Vic.
Then they'll absolutely want an arm and leg for him perhaps even a hip and a shoulder. No until he's uncontracted.
He's very highly rated but for good reason. Worth a bit but well worth it. GWS may look to trade him now while he is contracted and they have more bargaining power. He's worth more than Taylor Adams and around the Dom Tyson mark. I would happily give GWS our first pick if we could get a pick around 8-10 in return.

luc1966
Club Player

I tell u watching Jamie crops he may of been a pretty handy pocket player for us this year seems to Bob up

luc1966
Club Player

I tell u watching Jamie crops he may of been a pretty handy pocket player for us this year seems to Bob up

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No Trading IMO

Must use the pre season draft in the next two years to secure two players for zero. We MUST have cap space?!

B.Voss
S.Powell

Both came to the club via the Pre Draft and made a huge impact

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No Trading IMO

Must use the pre season draft in the next two years to secure two players for zero. We MUST have cap space?!

B.Voss
S.Powell

Both came to the club via the Pre Draft and made a huge impact
Don't rule out trading. You get the best players into the team whether its via the draft or a trade. The only rule in trading for us right now is if you invest heavily with draft picks the player must be <23 to fit our age demographic. The PSD is a good tool but you rarely see quality players enter. We should use it for players that we rate that don't go main draft. Ie Templeton last year (I'm sure we would've picked him if we had a spot on our list).

FQF
SS Life Member

Nothing wrong with trading. Look at the top sides going round; Hawthorn, Port and Sydney. They all traded EXTENSIVELY.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:ORourke Plowman Jaksch all uncontracted so will be Josh Bruce situation if any of these want to get opportunity and payed
Must've missed this post.

We've traded with GWS every year since they entered the comp. The trend will likely continue IMO.

O'Rourke (former pick 2) - Hasn't played a lot due to injury and quality ahead of him. Very similar to Dom Tyson. I think opportunity will see him become a very good player.
Worth: Pick 10-20.

Plowman (former pick 3) - Starting to get a few games. He's a bit of a 'third tall.' Not sure he's what we need but he is talented and we lack talent across the lines.
Worth: Pick 10-20

Jaksch (former pick 12) - KPP capable of playing forward or back. Backs himself in the marking contest like Brian Lake. Just too much talent ahead of him at GWS. Needs an opportunity and would fit our needs perfectly.
Worth: Pick 20-30

All the above went in the 2012 draft which was slightly compromised and their worth does not relect their draft rating. Crouch and O'Meara both rated better than all three.

The feeling after the draft was GWS reached with O'Rourke and Plowman. Grundy, Wingard, Toumpas all rated higher and Stringer and Menzel considered above but too much a risk with major injuries leading in to the draft. Daniher rated top 3 with O'Meara and Whitfield went F/S. This may help our negotiations if we are interested and the players want to play for us.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
PJ wrote:
He's very highly rated but for good reason. Worth a bit but well worth it. GWS may look to trade him now while he is contracted and they have more bargaining power. He's worth more than Taylor Adams and around the Dom Tyson mark. I would happily give GWS our first pick if we could get a pick around 8-10 in return.
If we had pick 1 or 2, would you trade it for nothing in return but players? Shiel, Treloar, Plowman, Thomlinson, Jacksh - a mix of these guys, one of the mids and one of the talls.

Its a risky strategy, but talls taken early arent a given either, look at Watts, Cloke, Hawkins, Patton - they all take time and arent guaranteed.

I think I would do it, surely two of those GWS boys would be greater value to the list over say Wright - a stupid question which cant really be answered for another 10 years!!

Strength through Loyalty
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:
PJ wrote:
If we had pick 1 or 2, would you trade it for nothing in return but players? Shiel, Treloar, Plowman, Thomlinson, Jacksh - a mix of these guys, one of the mids and one of the talls.

Its a risky strategy, but talls taken early arent a given either, look at Watts, Cloke, Hawkins, Patton - they all take time and arent guaranteed.

I think I would do it, surely two of those GWS boys would be greater value to the list over say Wright - a stupid question which cant really be answered for another 10 years!!

Strength through Loyalty
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
PJ wrote:

Depending on the combination of players. If it included Shiel or Treloar and another player then yes. Saying that I reckon we'll finish with pick 3 in the draft with GWS again getting pick 1. Pick 2 a possibility if the Lions win a couple more.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they should ban GWS & GCS from trading out for a few years, just force anyone leaving back into the draft. They're already out of control without additional top 10 picks every year. Something has to give.

FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:Maybe they should ban GWS & GCS from trading out for a few years, just force anyone leaving back into the draft. They're already out of control without additional top 10 picks every year. Something has to give.
Seeing as there are worries about GWS's development after the Richmond hiding, I don't think the AFL is interested in making their job any more difficult.

It's clearly a knee-jerk reaction to the match, but there's no question that they are behind compared to where GC was at same stage.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

GWS will struggle for some time. Gold Coast have Ablett and will likely be third on the ladder after this round is completed.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I have a mate who now had a job in recruitment at the pies. He wtaches only Victorian players as that is his role. Had a good chat to him last night about his opions on the draft. rates McCartin as clearly the best tall. Doesnt rate Wright at all. says he would be a bad pick. Goddard is also rated but isnt a true tall in his opinion. Loves Brayshaw. Top 5 in his opinion.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I have a mate who now had a job in recruitment at the pies. He wtaches only Victorian players as that is his role. Had a good chat to him last night about his opions on the draft. rates McCartin as clearly the best tall. Doesnt rate Wright at all. says he would be a bad pick. Goddard is also rated but isnt a true tall in his opinion. Loves Brayshaw. Top 5 in his opinion.
Thanks for the insight.

I think you've nailed four players that are strong chances to go top 5.

Everything I've read suggests Wright is the highest rated so far this year. Perhaps his back injury will deter a few clubs and a team wanting a true key forward will favour McCartin with Wright being more a ruck/forward.

Goddard seems the most talented tall but as you said isn't a 'true tall' or at least an old school key forward. He's basically a taller version of his cousin and equally possesses a very damaging kick. I think he will go very high and GWS will look at him very closely due to his versatility and talent.

Brayshaw and Isaac Heeney the best ball winners in the draft. The Swans will get a bargain picking Heeney with their first pick. He'd go top 10, perhaps even top 5 if he were avail to all clubs and wasn't a zone selection.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Cheers Pluggs, great to hear some inside knowledge. He is my pick of the bunch, but that's going on a lot less research than a recruiter!

I can't see us taking Wright, not while Stanley, Longer and Hickey are on our list. McCartin, or one of GWS's forwards and one of their mids (or major change) for me.

Strength through Loyalty