I'm speechless

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm speechless

markp wrote:People are upset about this?

Looks like Williams was plan b all along, and Richardson was finally persuaded.

All due diligence had been done previously... though I guess you've gotta wonder what made them choose watters over him in the first place.

Also looks like it was port that did the leaking as he would've told them first, before signing, before any other candidate was notified, so what else could St Kilda do but state that we still didn't have a coach?
I'm never a fan of having to "beg" someone to coach us. If you want a job where I work apply - no one hands it to you and when you are an unproven assistant it's worse.

Look I hope he's a better Ross Lyon (I was wrapped when we got him) but if not we've just overlooked a Premiership winning coach and as a club look shambolic

This Board MUST go if this doesn't work and I'd want them all gone

“Yeah….nah””
sainterinsydney
Club Player

If Choco is so great, why did GWS give him the heave ho and offer his promised position to the untried Leon Cameron? Maybe Richo was our first choice from the beginning, and only now he has come around? It seems like Pelchen wanted him from the moment Watters was sacked.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: IF this goes arse up Burkey and Thommo better pack their bags

This reeks of amateur hour - why we've appointed an untried coach again over a proven Premiership coach with good development pedigree is mystifying

Am really questioning the professional abilities if those on this board - I don't care if they were Saints greats or not
I wonder if our financial predicament influenced the decision

Surely appointing Richardson(an untried senior coach) would cost a lot less than appointing Choco (a Premiership coach)

Was Choco asking for too much money or too long a contract as some have pointed out??

As they say ... beggars cant be choosers .... and it could well be in this case

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
loris
Saintsational Legend

All due diligence had been done previously... though I guess you've gotta wonder what made them choose watters over him in the first place.

Also looks like it was port that did the leaking as he would've told them first, before signing, before any other candidate was notified, so what else could St Kilda do but state that we still didn't have a coach?
You are sounding a little too logical there 'markp'..............especially your final sentence.......................... but eh what, let's attack our Board, because they wanted to keep things quiet until all signed sealed and delivered, which is the professional way to go about things. Not respond to every rumour spewing from the media etc.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

I'm never a fan of having to "beg" someone to coach us. If you want a job where I work apply - no one hands it to you and when you are an unproven assistant it's worse.

Look I hope he's a better Ross Lyon (I was wrapped when we got him) but if not we've just overlooked a Premiership winning coach and as a club look shambolic

I don't think they begged him to come to us…

But Richardson was certain that Williams already had the gig so of course he wasn't going to go through the process, we had to convince him that the job was still open… that's all.

Scoop
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
..... we've just overlooked a Premiership winning coach and as a club look shambolic
Tony Jewell, Jezza and Malcolm Blight were all premiership winning coaches.... :shock:

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Was probably Roo's decision, he made the last one

Bring back the Lockett era
HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Richardson will be our second Premiership coach.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Exactly. There seems to be a few drama queens in this thread.

Club was always trying to get Richo to consider the job, and in the end they succeeded. Why is that a problem?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
busso mick
Club Player

jaxons wrote: Richardson might turn out be better than Lyon.
I hope he is.
But we have turned down a premiership coach for an untried coach so he better be good.
Ross Lyon was an untried coach when we got him, Malcolm Blight was a premiership coach when we got him. IMHO I think we have got the right man.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Maybe he brings some IP on how to rebuild a club that they are looking to leverage as well. Don't know - I'm clutching at straws. Perhaps Choco would be too hard to work with in 3-4 years when we should in theory be climbing back up the ladder.

The Board have backed themselves into a corner - it's a high risk high reward game they have played-now. God knows what that means if they take the same approach into draft day.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: Also looks like it was port that did the leaking as he would've told them first, before signing, before any other candidate was notified, so what else could St Kilda do but state that we still didn't have a coach?
I guess Port leaked all the info about Scott Watters to Caroline Wilson and co as well.

St Kilda has a serious issue with the leaking of senstive information - just ask Jaxons!!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Ahhhhhhh a "proven premiership Coach" ...hmmmmmmmm? errrrrrrrrrrr..... like Blight? ..rrrrrright! OR..like Pagan? RRRRRIGHT! OR...like Worsfold?.........RIGHT! What I'm trying to say is that winning a flag can very often (ALWAYS) come down to how a side performs ON THE DAY! (with some fortune as well) I could accept Mark Williams as the new coach, but I'm happy to trust the selection panel (yes even after last time!) to pick the person they feel to be most qualified to be our coach NOW (not 2004)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
markp
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

You may say beg, others might call it negotiating! :wink:

We turned him down last time and were now asking him to burn port quite badly this late in the year, and apparently just after they'd sent him on a fancy leadership conference in london.

And Williams does have that nutty and agro side that could have proven a liability... as well as the whiff of yesterday's man. Having said that I'd say he was clearly the second choice... but the first came through, so happy days.

Scoop
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:
markp wrote: Also looks like it was port that did the leaking as he would've told them first, before signing, before any other candidate was notified, so what else could St Kilda do but state that we still didn't have a coach?
I guess Port leaked all the info about Scott Watters to Caroline Wilson and co as well.

St Kilda has a serious issue with the leaking of senstive information - just ask Jaxons!!!
Yes...that is a worry.....

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I love the rationalization to support the club now the decision has been made :

"Yeah, this was our Boards secret plan all along - to get their man. They e been officially managing a leaking program for months as subterfuge"

And some "want" to believe so bad they swallow this?? Spare me.

IF this goes tits up then this whole Board has to go

“Yeah….nah””
Johnny Favier
Club Player

lloyd21 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
jaxons wrote:Yes I was wrong.
I am sorry.
No reason to apologise jaxon. You've got a lot right this off-season.

Actually for what it is worth I don't think you had it wrong think Williams was the one they were looking at .
But there has been some reflection by the president & the board on this .
Question was Williams the best option long term .
Is there somebody else that if they became available would be a better long term prospect.

Think they found their prospect . I actually like it and was pro Williams but that was also because Richardson was not
in the picture . Really like the process myself they knew what they get with Richardson been in the system a long time.
The big thing the club has to do now is sell Alan to the members as Choco would have been a lot easier but just maybe
they got the long term decision right .
+1 exactly.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

A "worry" scoop? Are you crazy? This is St Kilda! HELLLLLLOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I do a lot of things in response to events at the club...worrying aint one of 'em GO SAINTS! (to hell with the rest!)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote: You may say beg, others might call it negotiating! :wink:

We turned him down last time and were now asking him to burn port quite badly this late in the year, and apparently just after they'd sent him on a fancy leadership conference in london.

And Williams does have that nutty and agro side that could have proven a liability... as well as the whiff of yesterday's man. Having said that I'd say he was clearly the second choice... but the first came through, so happy days.

would that be the same fancy leadership course that Greg Hutchison and Adam Kingsley went to?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Teflon wrote:

You may say beg, others might call it negotiating! :wink:

We offered a senior coaching role
We respectfully rang him and asked him to apply - he said no, we came again apparently offering "assurances".

We had pants round our ankles by this stage.

To me we begged.
Last edited by Teflon on Wed 13 Nov 2013 9:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Yeah….nah””
markp
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: IF this goes tits up then this whole Board has to go
Wouldn't argue with that.

Letting Lyon slip away the way they did and hiring Watters... yikes.

This is make or break for this lot surely.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Teflon wrote: IF this goes tits up then this whole Board has to go
Wouldn't argue with that.

Letting Lyon slip away the way they did and hiring Watters... yikes.

This is make or break for this lot surely.
I'm praying it works - I accept Williams had risk too but geez just after sacking the previous untried guy, we are presented with a guy that our most recent recruits have said was a great developer so he has form and we baulk.

Not securing Lyon earliet looks worse by the minute

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote: They are giving it to a guy they haven't interviewed....sorry they did interview him 2 years ago and he ran 3rd then!
Good process!!
I thought he came 2nd . Who came 2nd?

The question is how much $$$ has Pelchen made on this ?
Richardson was paying $10 last week.....

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Exactly. There seems to be a few drama queens in this thread.

Club was always trying to get Richo to consider the job, and in the end they succeeded. Why is that a problem?
Then why did they pick Watters two years ago? Sorry, but I think the board will be given the @$$ because of this decision, and I think they deserve to be.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
StNoodles
Club Player

Very happy with Richardson!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Coach for the next decade.