Round 1 side

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 1 side

rexy wrote:Don't think he has much tactical vision when it comes to the game, more of an analyst after the fact! Enjoy his posts and his humour, not everyone can be forward thinking!

True. It's a pity because I feel he may have something worthwhile to contribute but perhaps lacks the confidence to say it in an open forum.

rexy
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
rexy wrote:Don't think he has much tactical vision when it comes to the game, more of an analyst after the fact! Enjoy his posts and his humour, not everyone can be forward thinking!

True. It's a pity because I feel he may have something worthwhile to contribute but perhaps lacks the confidence to say it in an open forum.
Hate it when I go fishing and don't even get a bite!
Justsaying

Maybe this year?
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Hate it when I go fishing and don't even get a bite!
Justsaying

nibble nibble

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:Ray goes from struggling to get a game and looking to be getting traded, to relegating Gwilt to the reserves?
Gwilt didn't convince me this season. Looked slow. Perhaps just struggling after his knee reco and, if so, may benefit from a stint at Sandringham.

As for Ray, I've always rated him very highly

saintjake
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
saintjake wrote:Ray goes from struggling to get a game and looking to be getting traded, to relegating Gwilt to the reserves?
Gwilt didn't convince me this season. Looked slow. Perhaps just struggling after his knee reco and, if so, may benefit from a stint at Sandringham.

Maybe it was the fact that he had to play on monster forwards all season.
Pretty sure he gave away something like 10cm and 8kg to Tommy Hawkins

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Maybe it was the fact that he had to play on monster forwards all season.
Pretty sure he gave away something like 10cm and 8kg to Tommy Hawkins
He's not a key position defender, that's for certain.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

My impression of Gwilt this season was talking to himself as he gave away another free trying to jump up and tangle arms with someone much taller than him. He really struggled when given that man on man role and was not used well. Gwilts best is as a lose defender running off his man, grabbing the lose ball and running and carrying then linking up with the midfield. That's why we have to find someone that can fill the tall defender role.

Lee and Hickey have filled some deficiencies in the list and plenty of the FB talk has been actually highlighted because we didn't have many talls not just KPB. If Blake could have played the whole year as the FB we may not have been as exposed. When BM, Rhys and Blake went down only kosi was really left. It meant fisher and Gwilt were forced to be more accountable for mismatched players.

just adding to our depth of tall players may mean we can now fill in a little easier. blake might just be able to take guys like Hawkins and Cloke if he isn't needed in the ruck who knows, either way we need to find someone already at the club or outside that will slot straight in.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:blake might just be able to take guys like Hawkins and Cloke.
Fisher can do that better imo. Blake's better suited at chb. He's not a "last line" type of player.

Middo
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:

True. It's a pity because I feel he may have something worthwhile to contribute but perhaps lacks the confidence to say it in an open forum.[/quote

Easier to take pot shots that actually add to the discussion ...Hindsight Coach is old Pluggs ...!!! :wink:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Fisher can do that better imo. Blake's better suited at chb. He's not a "last line" type of player.

He also doesnt create like a CHB should. FB or out of the side IMO.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

He also doesnt create like a CHB should. FB or out of the side IMO.
Fisher will play full back because he's the only player on the list who has been proved effective in that role.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Fisher to me is too valuable as that free player now Goddard has moved on. With no Goddard and Fisher tethered to a post we lose a lot of creative ball movement. I think we start looking at guys like Post, joel tippett etc. then because Lever and Fergburger are a few years off still and Hickey has long arms and height but not sure he could play FB.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Fisher to me is too valuable as that free player now Goddard has moved on. With no Goddard and Fisher tethered to a post we lose a lot of creative ball movement. I think we start looking at guys like Post, joel tippett etc. then because Lever and Fergburger are a few years off still and Hickey has long arms and height but not sure he could play FB.
So who is full back? Simpkin? Too small. Gwilt? Too small. Blake? Nup. Struggles on the last line as we saw when Tippett got hold of him.

It's not ideal, I know, but I don't see any other options.

Compounding the problem is that three players who could provide run out of defence - namely Gram, Raph and Goddard - are no longer with the club.

sainter104
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:Dempster Hickey Simpkin
Geary Fisher Gwilt
Dal Santo Hayes Gilbert
Schneider Stanley Saad
Milne Riewoldt Lee

R: McEvoy Armitage Steven

Inter: Siposs Blake Ray
Sub: Ledger

like it

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
gringo wrote:Fisher to me is too valuable as that free player now Goddard has moved on. With no Goddard and Fisher tethered to a post we lose a lot of creative ball movement. I think we start looking at guys like Post, joel tippett etc. then because Lever and Fergburger are a few years off still and Hickey has long arms and height but not sure he could play FB.
So who is full back? Simpkin? Too small. Gwilt? Too small. Blake? Nup. Struggles on the last line as we saw when Tippett got hold of him.

It's not ideal, I know, but I don't see any other options.

Compounding the problem is that three players who could provide run out of defence - namely Gram, Raph and Goddard - are no longer with the club.
Simpkin is the same height as Fisher. Same height as Max. 1cm taller than Rutten and 1cm shorter than Glass. Right now Fisher is a better one-on-one defender as he has more experience and strength, but I'd rather Simpkin conceding 3 goals per week with Fisher getting 25 touches than have Fisher only conceding 2 goal a week and getting 10 touches.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Simpkin is the same height as Fisher. Same height as Max. 1cm taller than Rutten and 1cm shorter than Glass. Right now Fisher is a better one-on-one defender as he has more experience and strength.
Interesting stats. I didn't realise Fisher was so short.

Perhaps Simpkin can grow into the role over time. Until then I'd go with the best option, which is Fisher.

There's a reason they are called key positions and it's important to get them right. They take priority IMO

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saints new Media Chief also has Curren in the side for round 1
so fingers crossed he gets an upgrade.
St Kilda
Gone from last year's team are Brendon Goddard and Jason Gram, while Leigh Montagna has a one-game suspension to serve. The Saints are loaded with tall forward options and Rhys Stanley and Tom Lee are sure to be pushing for selection early in the season. The defensive stocks don't run deep and Arryn Siposs could be used as a swingman after he was tried at both ends last year, while Tom Curren should be close to a senior debut after an impressive season in the VFL last year.
- Luke Holmesby

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Simpkin is the same height as Fisher. Same height as Max. 1cm taller than Rutten and 1cm shorter than Glass. Right now Fisher is a better one-on-one defender as he has more experience and strength.
Interesting stats. I didn't realise Fisher was so short.

Perhaps Simpkin can grow into the role over time. Until then I'd go with the best option, which is Fisher.

There's a reason they are called key positions and it's important to get them right. They take priority IMO

I'm not being a smart arse but Simpkin looks like Farren Ray with a neck extension. He's like half a head taller but all above his shoulders

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I'm not being a smart arse but Simpkin looks like Farren Ray with a neck extension. He's like half a head taller but all above his shoulders

haha. The size of his melon has been remarked on.

lloyd21
Club Player

Would be very surprised if Jones Blake Kosi are found in team. Expect Lee and either Newnes Dunnell Ross Ray Markworth. will be in depending on their preseason

gringo
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Would be very surprised if Jones Blake Kosi are found in team. Expect Lee and either Newnes Dunnell Ross Ray Markworth. will be in depending on their preseason
I'm going to put it out there that Jones will play at least 15 games next year. People have written him off because he was rested late. I think at the point we were already out of contention. He is very competitive and does the stuff coaches love. He is more than just a tagger and has an on ball role. His disposal is always going to be iffy but he adds to the team like Gilbert does- he drives the ball forward with contested hard footy and will scrap out the little 1%ers that coaches like. If he could kick like Goddard he would be a superstar but as is he's still in our best team and with Goddard out we are down a senior player as is. Blake and Kosi are probably going to have to work harder for game time or wait for an injury if the new boys are half decent or we don't have to manufacture a FB from with in.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I'm going to put it out there that Jones will play at least 15 games next year.
Yep, agreed. I think he'll have to fight hard for a spot but I'd be surprised if we didn't see a fair bit of him.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

He got treated similarly to Raph in the later part of the season. Raph has already been moved on. C.J. could be next.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

if fisher plays at fullback for majority of the year i will seriously give up watching

that would be a complete joke

gringo
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:He got treated similarly to Raph in the later part of the season. Raph has already been moved on. C.J. could be next.

Raph didn't get much game time early though and really only got a few matches until the North game. Clint seemed to get put away once it looked all over for the year.