All time greatest Saints players - by number

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

GOLD!!!! how about 13 Voss!!!????

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
DownAtTheJunction
Club Player

#21 has to be reserved for the forgotten Barry Pascoe. He came over from North Melbourne with his better known brother Bob. Barry however was the star. A tremendously rugged and courageous ruck rover. He would be in my best ever Saints team. Alas like many StKilda players of this era he suffered a career ending knee injury. If you missed him you missed a champ!

avid
Club Player

DownAtTheJunction wrote:#21 has to be reserved for the forgotten Barry Pascoe. He came over from North Melbourne with his better known brother Bob. Barry however was the star. A tremendously rugged and courageous ruck rover. He would be in my best ever Saints team. Alas like many StKilda players of this era he suffered a career ending knee injury. If you missed him you missed a champ!
Yes I've got one or two childhood memories of Barry Pascoe. I remember him running straight through a pack, leaving it scattered on the ground. Toughest thing I'd ever seen at that stage. A very skillful player too. By far the best pick for 21 so far.

avid
Club Player

whiskers3614 wrote:Russell Reynolds no21 68games 16 brownlow votes got to be better than Beatham.
Russell Reynolds wore 22. I loved him. Took an absolutely massive chest mark screamer at Princes park one day. As tough and bouncy as a superball. Who've we got at #22? Russell Reynolds for mine.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:Russell Reynolds no21 68games 16 brownlow votes got to be better than Beatham.
Russell Reynolds wore 22. I loved him. Took an absolutely massive chest mark screamer at Princes park one day. As tough and bouncy as a superball. Who've we got at #22? Russell Reynolds for mine.
Reynolds wore #21.

Saw him and George Young play their debut games in Round 1 of 1973 against Melbourne at the MCG

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/play ... nolds.html

avid
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
On the Bench wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Glenn Elliott > Max Hudghton

In the stats rleague site it has both Glenn Elliott and his brother Rob Elliott wearing number 8 from 73-77 which of course could not happen

For some reason I thought Glenn wore number 5 or 6 during this period - however this also clashes with some other players (Barry Lawrence in 5 and Bob Murray / Mark Greene in 6

Can anyone clarify??
Robbie wore number 13, Glenn was definitely 8.
Actually just read that somehwere - that said on the stats site they have down Phil Stevens wearing number 13 (though I am sure he was 19) and also a guy called Peter Bell wearing 13 from 75 to 77

Anyone remember Peter Bell in the 70's - played 33 games and kicked 33 goals??
Yeah I remember Peter Bell.

Bit of a rangy half forward type with the non descript haircut and moustache combo that was popular in the day - Robbie Elliott being another example of that look :)
Peter ell -- exactly as described. Not one of the greatest Saints ever, only ever just managing to break into the team.
But he played one scorcher of a game at Princes Park, the day Paul Callery got knocked out. We had almost all our best players out injured (+MadDog probably suspended) and were getting crushed by the powerful Hawthorn side. Then Callery went down in a centre bounce clash just around half time, stretchered off unconscious. The whole team went berzerk and slaughtered Hawthorn in the second half. One of our most memorable victories ever.
It turned out that Gary Collings knee had accidentally done the damage to Paul callery's head!
Peter Bell, I think, came on as Callery's replacement, and tore up the second half. Seemed like he had 20 or so possessions -- one of the main drivers of the victory.

I might have 'enhanced' some of these facts -- the memory's not perfect. In my revery, I remember Russell Reynold's huge pack mark (see my post above) as happening on the same day. Does anyone remember?
[Edit: we were playing Hawthorn, not Carlton as I had originally posted. Doesn't say much for the accuracy of any of he rest!]

On the Elliotts, by the way, Glen always wore 8 as far as I know. Robbie also wore 36 I think. They had a third brother on our list at one point -- can't quite remember his name -- who was said to be an even bigger tallent. Didn't turn out that way. Almost no one could have been better than Glen. [Edit: it was Bruce Elliott, #46]
Last edited by avid on Thu 05 Jan 2012 1:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

avid
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
avid wrote:
Reynolds wore #21.

Saw him and George Young play their debut games in Round 1 of 1973 against Melbourne at the MCG

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/play ... nolds.html
Hmmm -- I concede you have provided the required evidence. But I still feel sure he was 22.
It's doing my head in now.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
On the Bench wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

In the stats rleague site it has both Glenn Elliott and his brother Rob Elliott wearing number 8 from 73-77 which of course could not happen

For some reason I thought Glenn wore number 5 or 6 during this period - however this also clashes with some other players (Barry Lawrence in 5 and Bob Murray / Mark Greene in 6

Can anyone clarify??
Actually just read that somehwere - that said on the stats site they have down Phil Stevens wearing number 13 (though I am sure he was 19) and also a guy called Peter Bell wearing 13 from 75 to 77

Bit of a rangy half forward type with the non descript haircut and moustache combo that was popular in the day - Robbie Elliott being another example of that look :)
Peter ell -- exactly as described. Not one of the greatest Saints ever, only ever just managing to break into the team.
But he played one scorcher of a game at Princes Park, the day Paul Callery got knocked out. We had almost all our best players out injured (+MadDog probably suspended) and were getting crushed by the powerful Carlton side. Then Callery went down in a centre bounce clash just around half time, stretchered off unconscious. The whole team went berzerk and slaughtered Carlton in the second half. One of our most memorable victories ever.
It turned out that Gary Collings knee had accidentally done the damage to Paul callery's head!
Peter Bell, I think, came on as Callery's replacement, and tore up the second half. Seemed like he had 20 or so possessions -- one of the main drivers of the victory.

I might have 'enhanced' some of these facts -- the memory's not perfect. In my revery, I remember Russell Reynold's huge pack mark (see my post above) as happening on the same day. Does anyone remember?

On the Elliotts, by the way, Glen always wore 8 as far as I know. Robbie also wore 36 I think. They had a third brother on our list at one point -- can't quite remember his name -- who was said to be an even bigger tallent. Didn't turn out that way. Almost no one could have been better than Glen.
Had a third brother Bruce who may have played U19s or Ressies with us but went on to play for Melbourne.

Remember Robbie kicking the winning "goal" after the siren at Arden Street.

I was parked on the outer wing with a direct view behind him. Saw his kick sail through for a point and went to collect my belongings. I then realised that the ump had signalled a goal and hightailed it back to the car before things got ugly :)

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Reynolds was moved to FF from backline during 2nd half of that Hawks game kicked 2 or 3 and instrumental in a couple more.

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
On the Bench wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Can anyone clarify??

But he played one scorcher of a game at Princes Park, the day Paul Callery got knocked out. We had almost all our best players out injured (+MadDog probably suspended) and were getting crushed by the powerful Hawthorn side. Then Callery went down in a centre bounce clash just around half time, stretchered off unconscious. The whole team went berzerk and slaughtered Hawthorn in the second half. One of our most memorable victories ever.

[Edit: we were playing Hawthorn, not Carlton as I had originally posted. Doesn't say much for the accuracy of any of he rest!
The game stats are below - Hawthorn vs St Kilda - Princes Park - Round 12 - 19th June 1976

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/game ... 60619.html

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
On the Bench wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Can anyone clarify??

[Edit: we were playing Hawthorn, not Carlton as I had originally posted. Doesn't say much for the accuracy of any of he rest!

Apparently Russell Reynolds is now an award winning winemaker

Former St Kilda and Claremont footballer Russell Reynolds said winning two trophies for his Clown Fish chardonnay 2009 could not have come at a better time.

"The past year has been pretty tough and to win something like this is a tremendous boost for your confidence and you never know it might even lead to a few more sales," he said.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/busine ... ne-awards/
Last edited by Devilhead on Thu 05 Jan 2012 6:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

avid
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:
avid wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
On the Bench wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Can anyone clarify??

The game stats are below - Hawthorn vs St Kilda - Princes Park - Round 12 - 19th June 1976

Well I concede on Russell Reynold's number. (I've found lists of players I made myself going back to about 1980, in which I've got him as 22. This misapprehension has been set in my mind one hell of a long time!)
Quite proud I remembered Bell's 20 possessions stat for the game (all in only the 2nd half.)
Did you see Robbie Muir's free kick count! 7 for, 1 against! The umpires must have been treading especially carefully that day.

Thanks for all the corrections that have flooded in!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:The game stats are below - Hawthorn vs St Kilda - Princes Park - Round 12 - 19th June 1976

Looks like Doug Booth had a dog of an afternoon :P

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Devilhead wrote:The game stats are below - Hawthorn vs St Kilda - Princes Park - Round 12 - 19th June 1976

Umps were busy that day - 48 frees for to 32 against :shock:

Looks as though Sarau and Ditterich got the better of Don Scott as well

avid
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Umps were busy that day - 48 frees for to 32 against :shock:

Looks as though Sarau and Ditterich got the better of Don Scott as well
The victory was remarkable in part because so many of our key players were out injured. Check this list of greats (and GOPs) who were out that day:
Cowboy Neale, Barry Lawrence, George Young, Glen Elliott, Barry Breen, Jimmy O'Dea, John Bonney, Neil Besanko, Colin Carter, Phil Stevens, Bill Mildenhall.
You could build a pretty good team around them alone!

Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

DownAtTheJunction wrote:#21 has to be reserved for the forgotten Barry Pascoe. He came over from North Melbourne with his better known brother Bob. Barry however was the star. A tremendously rugged and courageous ruck rover. He would be in my best ever Saints team. Alas like many StKilda players of this era he suffered a career ending knee injury. If you missed him you missed a champ!
+1

Barry Pascoe was a star.

Speaking of DownAtTheJunction, did you see Barry get bashed up by three Fitzroy players after kicking 4 goals in a quarter?

Moorabbin Man
Club Player

Re: All time greatest Saints players - by number

hungry for a premiership wrote:Ok, I'll have a crack.

1 - Trevor Barker
2 - Danny Frawley
3 - Ross Smith (apologies to Nathan Burke)
4 - Tony Lockett (apologies to Doc)
5 - Ian Stewart
6 - Bob Murray (never saw him play, but think he was probably better than David Grant. Yes? No?)
7 - Lenny Hayes (apologies to Cuz)
8- Max Hudghton
9 - Fraser Gehrig
10 - Carl Ditterich (apologies to Bakes, Spider, Mohr, Roberts)
11- Leigh Montagna
12 - Nick Riewoldt (apologies to Gary Colling, who I've never seen)
13 - Adam Schneider (apologies to Brett Voss)
14 - Luke Ball
15 - Darryl Wakelin
16 - Verdun Howell ("A great full-back whose dashing attacking style was ahead of its time." Brownlow medal winner)
17 - Rod Keogh
18 - Brendon Goddard (apologies to Cowboy Neale)
19 - Allan Davis (never saw him, but his stats are up there, premiership player)
20 - Matthew Young
21 - Caydn Beetham (hasn't been a very good jumper for us, obviously)
22 - Farren Ray
23 - Stewart Loewe
24 - Jason Heatley
25 - Sam Fisher (apologies to Barry Hall)
26 - Nick Dal Santo
27 - Barry Breen (apologies to the blake)
28 - Craig O'Brian
29 - ???
30 - ???
31 - Colin Watson ("a brillilliant winger centreman and half-back flanker" who won a brownlow)
32 - Robert Muir
33 - James Gwilt
34 - ???
35 - Robert Harvey
36 - Gordon Fode
37 - Michael Malthouse :-)
38 - Clinton Jones
39 - ???
40 - Troy Shwarze
41 - ???
42 - ???
43 - Brett Moyle
44 - Steven Milne

47 - Michael Nettlefold

52 - Dale Kickett
You can't leave out the Doc!!!!! How about the Doc as 4 and Plugger as 14?

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Re: All time greatest Saints players - by number

Moorabbin Man wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:Ok, I'll have a crack.

1 - Trevor Barker
2 - Danny Frawley
3 - Ross Smith (apologies to Nathan Burke)
4 - Tony Lockett (apologies to Doc)
5 - Ian Stewart
6 - Bob Murray (never saw him play, but think he was probably better than David Grant. Yes? No?)
7 - Lenny Hayes (apologies to Cuz)
8- Max Hudghton
9 - Fraser Gehrig
10 - Carl Ditterich (apologies to Bakes, Spider, Mohr, Roberts)
11- Leigh Montagna
12 - Nick Riewoldt (apologies to Gary Colling, who I've never seen)
13 - Adam Schneider (apologies to Brett Voss)
14 - Luke Ball
15 - Darryl Wakelin
16 - Verdun Howell ("A great full-back whose dashing attacking style was ahead of its time." Brownlow medal winner)
17 - Rod Keogh
18 - Brendon Goddard (apologies to Cowboy Neale)
19 - Allan Davis (never saw him, but his stats are up there, premiership player)
20 - Matthew Young
21 - Caydn Beetham (hasn't been a very good jumper for us, obviously)
22 - Farren Ray
23 - Stewart Loewe
24 - Jason Heatley
25 - Sam Fisher (apologies to Barry Hall)
26 - Nick Dal Santo
27 - Barry Breen (apologies to the blake)
28 - Craig O'Brian
29 - ???
30 - ???
31 - Colin Watson ("a brillilliant winger centreman and half-back flanker" who won a brownlow)
32 - Robert Muir
33 - James Gwilt
34 - ???
35 - Robert Harvey
36 - Gordon Fode
37 - Michael Malthouse :-)
38 - Clinton Jones
39 - ???
40 - Troy Shwarze
41 - ???
42 - ???
43 - Brett Moyle
44 - Steven Milne

47 - Michael Nettlefold

52 - Dale Kickett
You can't leave out the Doc!!!!! How about the Doc as 4 and Plugger as 14?
Yep indeed.

And I think I found someone for no. 29 - Nathan Burke. He wore 29 and played some good footy in that number before donning the no. 3.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Can't seriously include Beetham. Barry Pascoe has to be in there.

avid
Club Player

Sorry about taking this thread off-track before.

Here's a few (relevant) thoughts:
(mainly where I disagree with the list above)

2 -- see 24
4 should go to Baldock, if we can put Plugger at 14. (Plugger+Baldock > Plugger+Ball.)
7 I still rate Winmar slightly higher than Lenny, though very different, and each better than the other in many ways.
8 Glen Elliott a little ahead of Max
10 Bill Mohr was probably our greatest player of the 1930s. Big Carl was our greatest ruckman, but you can't say the greatest player of his time.
13 Barry Lawrence goes here for sure. He wore 13 in the '71 GF (and saved Bob Pratt's goalkicking record singlehanded!) Wore 5 after that.
14 Plugger -- kicked 100 in it (I think). I rate Jimmy O'Dea above Ball too.
15 Ian Cooper
17 Loved Rockett Rod, but surely there's a greater candidate?
20 Travis Payze I think ahead of Matty Young
21 Barry Pascoe (or otherwise Russell Reynolds. This is where I went off-track before)
22 Fazza probably deserves it, but Matty Lappin was good for a moment, and Mick Malthouse started to look OK
24 Danny Frawley (can we put him here and and give Aaron Hamill 2?)
27 George Young -- by far the greatest 27 -- despite the famous point. Can we sneak Barry Breen into 17? -- I think he wore that for a while too. A bit artificial I spose.
29 Probably Russell Greene, although, Burkey played great footy in 29, as did Thommo and Pecko -- a very distinguished apprenticeship number. Burkey for me.
30 I'm lost. Certainly wouldn't be Peakey you'd think!
31 I was going to say Jeff Sarau. But you can't argue with Colin Watson
33 Would probably be Rob Elphinstone. (Gwilty may yet overtake him!)
34 Jayson Daniels I guess
35 (Apologies to Paul Callery!)
36 Couldn't be Fode surely. (?)
37 Dean Rice, for certain.
39 Bill Mildenhall?
I'm petering out in the 40s.
42 is clearly Wayne Judson.
45 could be Grant Thomas (before he went to 18)
49 I think Lazar Vidovic wore it for a while. God I miss him.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:Sorry about taking this thread off-track before.

Here's a few (relevant) thoughts:
(mainly where I disagree with the list above)

2 -- see 24
4 should go to Baldock, if we can put Plugger at 14. (Plugger+Baldock > Plugger+Ball.)
7 I still rate Winmar slightly higher than Lenny, though very different, and each better than the other in many ways.
8 Glen Elliott a little ahead of Max
10 Bill Mohr was probably our greatest player of the 1930s. Big Carl was our greatest ruckman, but you can't say the greatest player of his time.
13 Barry Lawrence goes here for sure. He wore 13 in the '71 GF (and saved Bob Pratt's goalkicking record singlehanded!) Wore 5 after that.
14 Plugger -- kicked 100 in it (I think). I rate Jimmy O'Dea above Ball too.
15 Ian Cooper
17 Loved Rockett Rod, but surely there's a greater candidate?
20 Travis Payze I think ahead of Matty Young
21 Barry Pascoe (or otherwise Russell Reynolds. This is where I went off-track before)
22 Fazza probably deserves it, but Matty Lappin was good for a moment, and Mick Malthouse started to look OK
24 Danny Frawley (can we put him here and and give Aaron Hamill 2?)
27 George Young -- by far the greatest 27 -- despite the famous point. Can we sneak Barry Breen into 17? -- I think he wore that for a while too. A bit artificial I spose.
29 Probably Russell Greene, although, Burkey played great footy in 29, as did Thommo and Pecko -- a very distinguished apprenticeship number. Burkey for me.
30 I'm lost. Certainly wouldn't be Peakey you'd think!
31 I was going to say Jeff Sarau. But you can't argue with Colin Watson
33 Would probably be Rob Elphinstone. (Gwilty may yet overtake him!)
34 Jayson Daniels I guess
35 (Apologies to Paul Callery!)
36 Couldn't be Fode surely. (?)
37 Dean Rice, for certain.
39 Bill Mildenhall?
I'm petering out in the 40s.
42 is clearly Wayne Judson.
45 could be Grant Thomas (before he went to 18)
49 I think Lazar Vidovic wore it for a while. God I miss him.
Wasn't B&F winner Peter Keil number 17??

Club Player

Peter Kiel at 17 makes sense.
A surprisingly unspectacular number for us.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

avid wrote:Peter Kiel at 17 makes sense.
A surprisingly unspectacular number for us.
Rodney Galt??????

avid
Club Player

Can anyone remember anyone else who wore 17?

Hopefully young Nicholas will soon be the one on the list.

avid
Club Player

Well, here's an answer to my question:

http://www.saints.com.au/news/newsartic ... fault.aspx

Cazaly would have to be up there.