Frankston v Sandringham - Sat Apr 18 1pm ABC

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
matrixcutter wrote:good reports peeps.
how did goose actually look, were they contested marks?, did he get free? did he get a good run off the back line? play a FB role? go forward? is he at a reasonable pace? etc etc.
whats he looking like guys?
He's running freely
He's contesting strongly
He's jumping well

He's playing VFL against not much opposition

He just looks like he needs match fitness.
his agility was really good. This was the most striking part ofthe day from goose. He changed direction to give himself space a couple of times which can be a big question after leg injuries.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah nice....:)
i had doubts huh after so many probs with such a serious injury.
would be great to see him get back into the seniors.

x ready ya reckon???

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy, Lynch and Stanley were the only real positives I saw.

Mac is developing well, improving his ruckwork and having a real influence around the ground. Will be ready when the first of King/Gardiner retires.

Lynch wasn't hugely prominent but he had a hand in almost half of Sandy's goals. He has the little touches down well. He makes good decisions and executes cleanly. Should debut this year.

Stanley has a long way to go but has loads of potential. Very athletic, very tall and has good co ordination. His skills are ok for a young ruckman and seems to read the play pretty well. Should be ready in 2011-12

Begley, Clarke, Fisher and Maguire all played solid games but will need injuries/poor form to hit the seniors if they want a game.

Armitage, Miles and Howard looked like VFL players.

Heyne blazes away and butchers the footy too much.

Connors never really got into the game but definitely has skills.

Jimmy1972
Club Player

Still not quite ready though, few more weeks for Matty me thinks. X aswell.

Armitage was a bit dissapointing.

McEvoy, Stanley and Connors were great, huge hope for these guys :P

Lynch good too but plays a secondary role in fwd line.

Everyone was tough at the footy which is good and the alignment with Sandy seems to be working well.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Apolgies if its been mentioned already..but Eddy didnt play and so will be our Emerg tonight should we need one

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Eddy warm-up with StK last week aswell....before playing Sunday with Sandy???

Seems to be the 23rd man

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Heyne will be delisted in two years IMO.....has some tools....not much substance.....but thats my opinion
I didn't see the game today Marto but this seems pretty harsh to me.

I remember ur criticism of Sweeny very well... u said he had the tools but from what u'd seen of him at training, didn't look the type who'd work hard enough to overcome his deficiencies...

Now Heynes by all accounts has looked promising in the preseason (from the reports I've read).
I will openly say that I didn't see the game today but you don't think that the kid can improve???
What exactly didn't u like about his game?

I don't mean to criticise Mart, urs is just an opinion i respect so i'm keen to hear ur thoughts

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Hilarious watching the Zebras song being sung - some of the Saints had no idea waht it was! :)
What is it?

MasonCJ2
Club Player

Agree with Big Mart's general point - I had high hopes for all the hype around Heyne, but a number of times he was near the play but didn't bother to chase. Still, if he is good enough and we can scratch that out as much as possible you can arguably live with one in your side. But you certainly don't switch overnight.

I was very pleased with McEvoy and Lynch - both will play a lot of games for the Saints in coming years. Goose was a cut above his opponents, Stanley moves well but he has a few summer gym sessions to come! I'm afraid he did look a little scared about being tackled at one point! But give him 3 years and we may have a nicely developing young ruck combo. Begley was good; I thought Miles looked solid enough - nothing special, just a nice solid HBF; X was good but didn't dominate; Armitage disappointing - we were two picks away from Selwood falling through.

We are a sniff
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear my two boys Stanley and Lynch doing well. Anyone who saw the draft video of Stanley knows he could be very solid like Chips and Gilbert.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impressed with Stanley, very quick for a big man, chased and ran down a couple of mids, good tackler, very raw and appears to be a pretty good canvas for our ciaches to work. Not too sure about the scared part MasonCJ12 I'll need to watch the game again. Ruck stocks are very healthy post 2010.

McEvoy still has alot to learn in the actually rucking duels but will get better through living in King and Gardiners pockets for another year or two. Moves well around the ground, makes position and has good hands, always tries to take the ball out in front of him. Very happy we have him as he can fill a hole should we lose any of our big men, including Kosi or Roo (obviously no where near as good but makes more sense to our structure than trying to rejig it with a medium size player)

Armitage was disappointing but continued to try to work his way into the game. I'm hoping he's just short of match time and endeavouring to get his fitness up.

X was good, thought the game was a bit scrappy but X always did what he had to, tackle, chase, fill holes, getting in close and running through lines. He's always been a good tackler IMO and his courage should never be questioned. Should be promoted and will benefit from the quicker AFL where the disposals are cleaner and surer.

Lynch has a great footy brain and a good solid size about him. Makes good decisions and from what I could tell makes good position. Appears to love a contest. Not sure he'll debut this year and may benefit from another pre-season where he can get his pace up. Having said that I'm sure if he did get his chance he would not disgrace himself.

Heyne was quiet in the first half but like Armo kept working his way into contests, seems to like a scrap. I don't mind him and think there's quite a bit to work with. IMO will not be delisted in two years. Will benefit from a year playing for Sandy and like Lynch should improve markedly with another pre-season.

Eljay showed glimpses for limited opportunities but I agree he rushed a few of his possessions. Does appear capable of doing some 'special' things. Is very quick!

Begley was very good, ready made replacement for a HBF or tagger if Dempster is not back on the park. Helps with depth immensely.

Howard's game I thought was good, he did his job and moved quite well. Some of his disposal could have been better but as I said, he won his spot, not alot more you can ask for when the game was close for 3 and a half quarters.

Fisher was Fisher, did not show any new tricks and appears well back in the queue. Solid I guess but simply Fisher.

Does anyone know where Jack Steven is? I was probably hoping to watch him more than any but the glimpses of Stanley made up for it, very excited about this kid.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think Stanley will be #1 ruck, with McEvoy playing forward/#2 Ruck in the future.

Looking good with Lynch, not sold on Heyne. Also good to see Tunga snag 4 goals in the reserves. Hopefully promoted to seniors at the Zebras soon, would be great at Sautners feet.

X looked solid, while Armitage looks like he's lost confidence and heart, knowing that even a BOG performance probably won't get him a call up to the Saints side.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes I am quite harsh on the boy, and he may well improve (he needs to) but he is like so many kids these days.....they believe they are millionaires when they get into elite squads and are far from what a DP should be(from an attitudinal perspective) which is a pretty blank canvas. Someone should tell him that being drafted does not mean he is an AFL footballer just yet, and only half the job has been done.....I guess Sweeney now knows that......I get the feeling Paul Cahill is in a similar boat......big attitude me thinks

What I do not like about Heyne's game is what he does without the footy......very similar to Alan Murray, Justin sweeney..(he can be 10m off the contest and he just spectates and is lazy)...as a medium he is a very good grab......but he cannot base his game around it, he is NOT 6'5"......he needs a good alroud game, and his marking is what makes him dangerous......

Medhurst was a victim of this at FREO and since he arrived at Coll he has dropped weight, and learned work ethic.....his marking is good, but his real value is his movement.....

Yes he has X-factor - but a medium fwd is a workhorse in modern footy, no longer can they be a seagull (ask Milney).....he needs to be more Ryan O'Keefe/Brett Burton (who are the fittest at their clubs) and less Colin Sylvia/Kane Pettifer (Talented/Lazy) - he is NOT as talented as a Motlop......who gets away with being lazy because he is brilliant but does not consistently deliver though.

Another critisism - he cannot kick, has a bad technique (CJ like)

Yes he can improve.....but on the games I have seen he has too many poor habits, which has still got him success (rep squads, drafted) because he tantalises with potential.....

We need to combine him and Tom Lynch into one player....

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes I am quite harsh on the boy, and he may well improve (he needs to) but he is like so many kids these days.....they believe they are millionaires when they get into elite squads and are far from what a DP should be(from an attitudinal perspective) which is a pretty blank canvas. Someone should tell him that being drafted does not mean he is an AFL footballer just yet, and only half the job has been done.....I guess Sweeney now knows that......I get the feeling Paul Cahill is in a similar boat......big attitude me thinks

What I do not like about Heyne's game is what he does without the footy......very similar to Alan Murray, Justin sweeney..(he can be 10m off the contest and he just spectates and is lazy)...as a medium he is a very good grab......but he cannot base his game around it, he is NOT 6'5"......he needs a good alroud game, and his marking is what makes him dangerous......

Medhurst was a victim of this at FREO and since he arrived at Coll he has dropped weight, and learned work ethic.....his marking is good, but his real value is his movement.....

Yes he has X-factor - but a medium fwd is a workhorse in modern footy, no longer can they be a seagull (ask Milney).....he needs to be more Ryan O'Keefe/Brett Burton (who are the fittest at their clubs) and less Colin Sylvia/Kane Pettifer (Talented/Lazy) - he is NOT as talented as a Motlop......who gets away with being lazy because he is brilliant but does not consistently deliver though.

Another critisism - he cannot kick, has a bad technique (CJ like)

Yes he can improve.....but on the games I have seen he has too many poor habits, which has still got him success (rep squads, drafted) because he tantalises with potential.....

We need to combine him and Tom Lynch into one player....
Wow BigMart! Are you sure you're not getting him confused with Armo? He hasn't taken your sister out and then failed to call her again? Because that sounds like something I imagine Armo doing. :wink:

If he's all those things you say he is then I would expect Ross Lyon and his Player Development Team to address those issues. If he then continued as you say I would expect them to give him a 'McQualter Rocket' and rookie list him.

One pre-season, a handful of practice matches and a couple VFL games shouldn't be enough to write a kid off. I think the Sweeney comparison is also a tad unfair as I'm hoping they are two completely different beasts. Sweeney from all accounts had a track record of not doing all he could to make it and was still given the opportunity on a silver platter. I do hope you're wrong but we'll know in 2 to 4 years I guess.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: We need to combine him and Tom Lynch into one player....
Lol, while we're at it, can we combine Fiora and McGough too... there u have 1 hell of a player

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
BigMart wrote: We need to combine him and Tom Lynch into one player....
Lol, while we're at it, can we combine Fiora and McGough too... there u have 1 hell of a player
:lol: Craig Davenport & Jason Daniels as well.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes armo has a bit to learn about running hard.....but his effort in-close cannot be questioned......he would be one of the hardest at the ball players on the list.....he attacks the footy and the man with intent.....he has been one of the best st.kilda listed players in most VFL games, and generally has a big crack.....he is a poor runner though.....both pace and endurance......and he needs to work at it......

Great hands in close Armo......and very strong over the ball..

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ON a related matter - Why is it that whenever a player does not make it, its solely because he 'didn't work hard enough'.

We sit here and judge. Poor performances must equal lack of work ethic. That's crap. Players get drafted at a tender age. Some improve, some stagnate. Not always because of work ethic, but because of injury, and simply lack of talent.

On Heyne - I noticed his kicking was quite indifferent in the under 18's vision I saw of him....And its interesting to note BigMarts comments on it.....Whats even more interesting was that his left foot was one of his special talents when talked up by the recruiting team during the summer.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

2009 VFL Seniors

Frankston 4.3 6.3 8.4 8.6 (54)
Sandringham 3.2 5.4 9.5 13.6 (84)

GOALS:
Frankston: Dickson 2 Lourey 2 Corp Proctor Baguley Murray
Sandringham: Sautner 6 Crowe Lynch Summers Miles Gallagher Tregear Gilchrist

BEST:
Frankston: Keely Berry Baguley Pollard Dickson Shinners
Sandringham: McEvoy Gallagher Paterakis Maguire Howard Biddlecombe

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Frankston: Nil
Sandringham: Crowe (Sandringham) for charging Barry (Frankston).

https://reg.sportingpulse.com/olr_v3/rp ... &pg=1&a=MR_

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
henno
Club Player

surprised howard was in the best :shock:

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Howard is in the side to do a job.....like CJ

Last week he had Marric, this week Justin Berry

saintly
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Howard is in the side to do a job.....like CJ

Last week he had Marric, this week Justin Berry
i thought howard went well. bigger than i expected and did a job that he was supposed to do. I also liked ElJay. also liked lynch, X, Maguire, Begley, mcEvoy, and stanley. Was unipressed with armitage

heyne i don't know

DWOODROW
Club Player

So 1 bad game makes Armo out of contention for the rest of the year. Good on ya's. :evil:

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

DWOODROW wrote:So 1 bad game makes Armo out of contention for the rest of the year. Good on ya's. :evil:
Who said he's out of contention for the rest of the year? I just think he's had an interupted pre-season and is working his way up to full fitness. Needs match time under his belt and at this stage of the season (round 4/5) is behind a few others.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Video report up on saintscentral.com.au
and written report on saints.com.au

this is the VFL report
Sandy wins bayside battle
By Jack Heverin

Frankston were unable to come away with the victory in front of their vocal home crowd, going down by 30 points to Sandringham in a tight and physical contest.

Despite the celebrations around Frankston Oval on 'I love Frankston' day, the Dolphins were unable to stop the Zebras momentum after half time, the 13.6 (84) to 8.6 (54) scoreline reflective of how scrappy the game was.

Sandringham spearhead Nick Saunter, well held for the majority of the contest by Dolphins skipper Shaun Pollard, broke loose after half time to finish with six goals and help the Zebras kick a winning score.

The Dolphins got the jump early, with their small forward line looking dangerous when the ball hit the ground. However Sandringham still managed to find an avenue to goal against the flow of the game.

In what was a fast and frenetic first half, both sides broke down across half forward and struggled to find an avenue to goal, with four points separating the sides at the main break.

After half time both sides looked as though they had used most of their petrol tickets, with skills errors becoming far too frequent. The Dolphins began to look sideways in a bid to find an open player, however they were unable to pinpoint their kicks and turned the ball over often.

In his three quarter time address, Dolphins coach Shannon Grant implored his charges to take the game on, and look to be more direct in the final quarter.

However the Zebras came out in the last quarter and played a better brand of football, denying the Dolphins any free space. The Dolphins run was stifled and the game was played in close quarters as the Zebras stuck to their game plan well.

Saunter caught fire and took the game apart in the final term, while the Dolphins could only muster two points.

Sandringham was well served by Tom Lynch, who worked extremely hard across half forward, while Captain Peter Summers and Craig Biddlecombe found plenty of the footy.

Rover David Gallagher ran the lines all day and won his own ball at the stoppages.

For the Dolphins, Pollard was superb down back, despite Sauntner's last quarter heroics. He outpointed Sauntner for most of the contest, while also being effective as the third man up in most marking contests.

Big Peder Whelan worked very hard in the ruck all day, and was involved in a terrific ruck duel against Ben Mc Evoy. Brett Dore also provided great support for Whelan, giving his all when doing the ruck work.

Chrsitian Ongarello was important down back and received praise from Grant, while James Magner did a superb job of tagging Zebras ball winner David Armitage out of the match.

Frankston should take many positives away from the contest, though their skill errors may need addressing before their next game against Casey.

Frankston 4.3 6.3 8.4 8.6 (54)
Sandringham 3.2 5.4 9.5 13.6 (84)

GOALS:
Frankston: Dickson 2 Lourey 2 Corp Proctor Baguley Murray
Sandringham: Sautner 6 Crowe Lynch Summers Miles Gallagher Tregear Gilchrist

BEST:
Frankston: Keely Berry Baguley Pollard Dickson Shinners
Sandringham: McEvoy Gallagher Paterakis Maguire Howard Biddlecombe

REPORTED PLAYERS:
Frankston: Nil
Sandringham: Crowe (Sandringham) for charging Barry (Frankston).

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page ... onID=60264

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107