Intra-Club Match....Report !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints43
Club Player

Solar wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Ray was BOG.
yet struggled to hit a target?
Ray was BOG.

Saints43
Club Player

The teams were so unevenly matched that it is impossible to draw many conclusions about how players are traveling.

Of the black team (probables?) Gram, Montagna, Goddard, Dal Santo & Jones (who played mostly in the centre) did absolutely nothing. And they still won by a mile.

The score was about ten goals to one.

The white team (the improbables?) got their one goal from a turnover that would never occur in an AFL H&A match.

Some have praised Armitage's game but he squibbed the first contest he was near (the first 20 secs of the game) and laid a cheap shot into Chips late in a contest 10 secs later. Didn't have too many telling possessions despite Gardiners early ruck dominance.

McQualter was rubbish.

Ray was terrific.

The white team just got pumped for an hour.

McEvoy still seems to me to be a good mover for his size.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:The teams were so unevenly matched that it is impossible to draw many conclusions about how players are traveling.

Of the black team (probables?) Gram, Montagna, Goddard, Dal Santo & Jones (who played mostly in the centre) did absolutely nothing. And they still won by a mile.

The white team (the improbables?) got their one goal from a turnover that would never occur in an AFL H&A match.

Some have praised Armitage's game but he squibbed the first contest he was near (the first 20 secs of the game) and laid a cheap shot into Chips late in a contest 10 secs later. Didn't have too many telling possessions despite Gardiners early ruck dominance.

McQualter was rubbish.

Ray was terrific.

Its funny how we see things. You say Gram was rubbish but I saw him touch the ball probably 6 times in the 5 minutes he played. Also Dal and Joey stood out to me. As for Armo I thought he was nearly best for the other side and I cerainly missed Gardiner's ruck dominance.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:Thanks for the reports peoples...

Very excited about seeing Saints at Carrara next weekend. Looking forward to seeing Ray in RW&B with my won eyes for the first time, and hopefully a few new guys as well. Not that concerned about us winning, rather get some good structures in place with an eye on the season proper. Having said that, I hope we dominate :)

Looking forward to 2009 immensely....

Raffle?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:I thought that Milne kicked about 4 goals and Kosi 3 :?
Bruce Eva broadcast a cheerio for someone's birthday. Know anything about that one, St Fid?

Happy birthday to your dad!! :D

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Spoke with Sam Gilbert after the game & he said he was rapt to be playing in the forward line.

Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saints43 wrote:The teams were so unevenly matched that it is impossible to draw many conclusions about how players are traveling.

McQualter was rubbish.

Ray was terrific.

Its funny how we see things. You say Gram was rubbish but I saw him touch the ball probably 6 times in the 5 minutes he played. Also Dal and Joey stood out to me. As for Armo I thought he was nearly best for the other side and I cerainly missed Gardiner's ruck dominance.
It's funny how people read things.
I said "Gram, Montagna, Goddard, Dal Santo & Jones (who played mostly in the centre) did absolutely nothing. And they still won by a mile."

The teams were so unevenly matched that it is impossible to draw many conclusions about how players are traveling.

You're right some of the players I mentioned did good some things. None of them did them for an hour. And the white team still hardly touched the ball. So to say that Dal (for example) played really well is to say that he did what he liked, when he liked, against no opposition.

And I said "Gardiners early ruck dominance". He pushed King around like a rag doll for the first 10 minutes of the game. So nearly the whole first quarter.

Armo may well have been in the best for the white side as you say. But that would almost be saying nothing.

Step 2. Reply
Step1. Read

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

McQualter was rubbish.

Ray was terrific.

It's funny how people read things.
I said "Gram, Montagna, Goddard, Dal Santo & Jones (who played mostly in the centre) did absolutely nothing. And they still won by a mile."

You're right some of the players I mentioned did good some things. None of them did them for an hour. And the white team still hardly touched the ball. So to say that Dal (for example) played really well is to say that he did what he liked, when he liked, against no opposition.

And I said "Gardiners early ruck dominance". He pushed King around like a rag doll for the first 10 minutes of the game. So nearly the whole first quarter.

Armo may well have been in the best for the white side as you say. But that would almost be saying nothing.

Step 2. Reply
Step1. Read
I read it 3 times and it quite clearly says that 4 players did absolutely nothing and now your saying they didnt do it for an hour. Sorry I cannot read your mind only your words.

vergs
Club Player

Did Zac Dawson play forward or back?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought Bruce Eva could have infomed the crowd who were wearing what No.s better.
Ross Tungatalum seemed to me worried about tackling his team-mates. He caught up with plenty but did'nt apply many tackles. He kicked the majority of the white team score, so hade his presence felt.
An effort should have been made to make the game more even. I dont know what they were trying to accomplish by having all the senior players in one side.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Zac Dawson seemed to be on the half back line for the Black team. On his effort last night I dont know why he was singled out of the rookies to play on the black team. He did not have any impact on the game. McGarry and Tungatalum were the most impressive of the rookies I thought.
Last edited by borderbarry on Sat 07 Feb 2009 12:26pm, edited 1 time in total.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I thought Bruce Eva could have infomed the crowd who were wearing what No.s better.
Ross Tungatalum seemed to me worried about tackling his team-mates. He caught up with plenty but did'nt apply many tackles. He kicked the majority of the white team score, so hade his presence felt.
An effort should have been made to make the game more even. I dont know what they were trying to accomplish by having all the senior players in one side.
Barry, they do the same every year. I believe that most, if not all, do the same.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Not the way they used to do things in the good old days Jeff.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks for your reports everyone.

Much Appreciated :wink:

Quixote
SS Life Member

LTN16 wrote:Thanks for your reports everyone.

Times Two :D

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
chook23
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I thought Bruce Eva could have infomed the crowd who were wearing what No.s better.
Particular ball movement between certain players within certain areas of ground.

saint4life
Megamaguire
Club Player

But Dal Santo played a lot harder at the ball.

Dal focusing on a harder focus on the ball is absolutely vital to the teams' improvement.
Dal may have realised that his potential will never be realised unless he presents a more consistent and sterner input to his game time.

Dal has to produce a more accomplished 'above the shoulders' game each time he steps out for the Saints. He is not a young kid with enormous potential any more - he is a senior player with some significant and as yet unrealised potential to bring to the positive history of our club.

LETS DO IT DALLY !
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

St Fidelius wrote:
Barry, they do the same every year. I believe that most, if not all, do the same.
You do wonder how much either side gets out of it. The stronger side can do it easy against a reserves strength side and the weaker side is on a hiding to nothing. Still there must be a reason since, as you said, most sides do it and we have been doing it for a few years now.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Spinner wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
Spinner wrote:Goddard has lost a lot of weight.

And was this close to asking Sam Fisher why they could only fit a few players into the gym over the summer.

Our muscle is next to pathetic.
Except maybe for....

Muscles curtsy of the Geelong and West Coast Eagle gyms respectively.

Anything else?

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Quixote wrote:
LTN16 wrote:Thanks for your reports everyone.

Times Two :D
x 3 all of you :shock:

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

from the age...

"Modest hit-out suits Saints as Maguire returns

Michael Gleeson | February 7, 2009

NO ONE broke a foot or snapped an arm. No punches were thrown at teammates' heads nor slippers sunk into teammates' dates. So by that cynical reckoning at least St Kilda had reason to be pleased after their uneventful practice match yesterday at the demolition site known as Moorabbin.

Indeed, with centre half-back Matt Maguire playing a rare game the Saints were more than pleased to be uneventful. This time last year Maguire was beaming as he left the ground after a virtual year out through injury.

McGuire felt fate had punished him enough, and perhaps he was owed a full season. He was of course to be denied. After yesterday's modest hit-out, McGuire can be mildly optimistic about returning to football again this year after 10 scratchy games in 2007, following a broken leg, and just four last year.

"We were happy for him to speak to the media today but Goose, knowing what he had been through the last two years, chose not to speak," said St Kilda coach Ross Lyon after four 10-minute quarters.

"But we thought his actions spoke for him.

"I don't say it lightly after the two years he has had but … he will play a part this year for us. We are not sure how big a part, but there were some reasonable signs today; he moved OK.

"He will continue to play in the next six weeks. It will be a bit lighter for him … a bit like Michael Gardner, the same thing.

"With full pre-seasons, they will play a lot of minutes over the next six weeks."

Maguire's return would allow changes around him.

Sam Gilbert, for example, yesterday played from the goal square — in attack, not defence. The Saints are experimenting with him as a third tall option.

"We are looking for that real third tall mobile quick — he is 194 centimetres and he is lightning quick — and we feel Baker will be back," Lyon said.

"And if Maguire stands up and with Begley and maybe Xavier Clarke back there then we can afford to put (Gilbert) forward. We would like to do it and we are experimenting with it. It is exciting for him, he loves it.

"We are trying to find that third tall in that Aaron Hamill mould: hard and tough and quick."

Robert Eddy worked well well and fellow midfielder David Armitage was strong around the packs.

Another midfielder, recruit Farren Ray, got some of the ball and had his moments of effective use, while Brisbane Lions recruit Colm Begley also got involved.

Justin Koschitzke kicked several goals and moved strongly from the goal square. Fellow tall forward Nick Riewoldt did not play.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

me meeting jack barker
was great, he is so nice, went to see trevors grave before the match
was so moving!

the photo is a bit blury but still very moving

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Good onya Ralphy.

Print it out and get it framed.

Not often a bloke becomes a legend of the footy club without ever playing a game for them.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:from the age...

"Modest hit-out suits Saints as Maguire returns

Michael Gleeson | February 7, 2009

NO ONE broke a foot or snapped an arm. No punches were thrown at teammates' heads nor slippers sunk into teammates' dates. So by that cynical reckoning at least St Kilda had reason to be pleased after their uneventful practice match yesterday at the demolition site known as Moorabbin.

Indeed, with centre half-back Matt Maguire playing a rare game the Saints were more than pleased to be uneventful. This time last year Maguire was beaming as he left the ground after a virtual year out through injury.

McGuire felt fate had punished him enough, and perhaps he was owed a full season. He was of course to be denied. After yesterday's modest hit-out, McGuire can be mildly optimistic about returning to football again this year after 10 scratchy games in 2007, following a broken leg, and just four last year.

"We were happy for him to speak to the media today but Goose, knowing what he had been through the last two years, chose not to speak," said St Kilda coach Ross Lyon after four 10-minute quarters.

"But we thought his actions spoke for him.

"I don't say it lightly after the two years he has had but … he will play a part this year for us. We are not sure how big a part, but there were some reasonable signs today; he moved OK.

"He will continue to play in the next six weeks. It will be a bit lighter for him … a bit like Michael Gardner, the same thing.

"With full pre-seasons, they will play a lot of minutes over the next six weeks."

Maguire's return would allow changes around him.

Sam Gilbert, for example, yesterday played from the goal square — in attack, not defence. The Saints are experimenting with him as a third tall option.

"We are looking for that real third tall mobile quick — he is 194 centimetres and he is lightning quick — and we feel Baker will be back," Lyon said.

"And if Maguire stands up and with Begley and maybe Xavier Clarke back there then we can afford to put (Gilbert) forward. We would like to do it and we are experimenting with it. It is exciting for him, he loves it.

"We are trying to find that third tall in that Aaron Hamill mould: hard and tough and quick."

Robert Eddy worked well well and fellow midfielder David Armitage was strong around the packs.

Another midfielder, recruit Farren Ray, got some of the ball and had his moments of effective use, while Brisbane Lions recruit Colm Begley also got involved.

Justin Koschitzke kicked several goals and moved strongly from the goal square. Fellow tall forward Nick Riewoldt did not play.
Thanks mate...

Goes to the heart of what some of us have been saying about getting some defenders back releases players to play in more effective positions.

including BJ and Chips thru the middle. This is where our improvement will come from this year. IMO.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
stinger wrote:
Solar wrote: Only players to really disapoint was ray. Struggled to make the distance from 35 and his kicking is terrible. Just don't think he deserves to be close to first 22.....

not what plugger reported.....

"Of the new players Ray stood out and was probably best on the ground. Begley was ok but isnt a great kick."
no worries... if you can find some sense between his dribble.....

I'm all for a player getting the ball but his output via kicking made jones look like a star. Lets just hope he isn't kicking after the siren to win a match for us.... :wink:
If my stuff is dribble you have it spewing out of your mouth.
player with begley's number played on kosi at some stages.... :roll: we were also suprised at begleys height so if it wasn't him then that explains it

on dawson, most of the forwards worked up to CHB so really he played at both full back and CHB but once again if that makes your day pretending you are always right.....

can't believe people haven't talked about rays pathetic shot at goal.... c'mon even beva almost laughed and said "pass" when it came off the side of the boot and into kosi's arms 10 metres out.....

good to see they will keep trying with gilbo up forward, also shows that there is confidence in goose and begley

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith