Future Clash Jumper Design

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

I was gonna say I had done some and couldn't be bothered posting them..... then I saw the third page.

I like the second one LLS posted. Maybe because its mine. Not really fussed though. I just want something better than the current.

If you guys want things drawn up clearer and better, just PM me and if I've got time, I'll redraw them in Illustrator.....

Too lazy to update my username
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:i cant think of any clashes either...
Not thinking hard enough - it would be awful against Essendon, Melbourne and maybe even Freo.

I know its sad and wrong, but it has to be mostly white. The red is just not workable, unfiortunately.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
Not thinking hard enough - it would be awful against Essendon, Melbourne and maybe even Freo.

I know its sad and wrong, but it has to be mostly white. The red is just not workable, unfiortunately.
How did I know you would respond with the old" it must be white "line! Ric :roll:

...the really stupid thing is that we don't even need a clash jumper with Melbourne or Essendon our traditional jumper with hooped socks would do..the red would be fine against Collingwood and Carlton.

The lack of common sense in this "it has to be white" arguement escapes me...the extra white against Collingwood is less effective as a clash than the red would be...

Blind acceptance of the white is right is weak IMO...have the balls to present a viable,innovative alternative and get the players /members feedback.

Tipping they would both flick the white for all time as indicated by Burkes and Westaways answer regarding retaining the current ,insipid clash disaster.

Make no mistake the club will see these alternatives and hopefully the boys can run around in something that looks more striking and fearsome than the passive underwear look next year onwards.

The red and the black alternatives on page three leave the current jumper for dead :x
Last edited by saint patrick on Mon 03 Dec 2007 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i know where you are heading st Pat, but we have no choice, we have to wear white.
i know you dont like the idea, either do i, i think we shouldall get a say, not just the AFL, but they are dead beats, and we need to understand that. :lol:

freo have more purple on their jumper, but they have a white clash.
the blues have sh!t all white on their jumper, but they have a white clash.
bulldogs only have 2 thin strips of white, and a bulldogs face on their jumper, but theirs is white.
the only white brisbane have on their jumper is the afl logo, where it says AFL, yet their clash is white.

and i think we would look better in white.
sorry, but i just cant see our players running around wearing a red jumper with a black and white cross, or a black jumper with a red and white cross.
i do like the white jumper with the black and red cross, i would buy that any day!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Another alternative is we wear the heritage jumper[which everyone loved including the players] against Carlton,Essendon and whoever and our traditional jumper against Collingwood with them wearing their stripes on the back as was also tradfitional once....or does that make too much sense Eddie :roll: :shock: :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:Another alternative is we wear the heritage jumper[which everyone loved including the players] against Carlton,Essendon and whoever and our traditional jumper against Collingwood with them wearing their stripes on the back as was also tradfitional once....or does that make too much sense Eddie :roll: :shock: :roll:
:shock: eddy being generous? :shock: now you have taken it to far pat! :lol:
the only time you will see the pies wear their so called clash that breaks every rule the clash jumper can have is when they play wce over there, an away carlton game and maybe richmond away games.
for our home games against them they will just wear home jumper + white shorts. there is no clash in that, unless you are colour blind. :D

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I'm very impressed with some of the jumper suggestiosn in this thread.

I'm also perplexed with the AFLs on again off again concern with clash strips. While it's going to bother traditionalists, surely they'd save themselves a lot of pain and bother by simply mandating home and away jumpers...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Saints94
SS Life Member

I would like our home gurnsey's to stay as our home ones and our away gurnsey's to be our present clash gurnsey

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

saint patrick wrote:
riccardo wrote:

How did I know you would respond with the old" it must be white "line! Ric :roll:

...the really stupid thing is that we don't even need a clash jumper with Melbourne or Essendon our traditional jumper with hooped socks would do..the red would be fine against Collingwood and Carlton.
Because I know the rules. :roll:

If you don't think our home jumper clashes with Essendon, you must be blind. Melbourne, I'll agree in most cases is OK, depending on what shade of blue they're using this year.

Drew.Evans
Club Player

More designs

I don't know how to upload images so i hope this works...

these are just a few of what i have done. I know they're probably not the sorts of stuff that most fans would necessarily think of, but it's worth putting it in the mix i think. The cross is still there but not in its traditional form.

All i am suggesting is that a guernsey can still look somewhat formidable by shape rather than masses of red or black. Colour alone will not suffice if what we're after is to represent power. The somewhat evilness has been reduced because i don't know what the reactions to these will be.

In my opinion i would love to see the guernsey go backwards in time. So far in fact that it lies within the dark age realm. There is a lot of symbolism that can be drawn from with the 'saints' name, including historic events. Symbolically Saints would have to be the most powerful name within the AFL. It's not an animal, it's not a machine, it's not a natural event. It's far greater and i think that we should use these to convey an even powerful message through the guernsey design. An army of saints, ridding the world of evil.. [oh yeah, and the holy grail]

Any suggestions would be great.

*clause - i am not religious in any way, nor do i think there should necessarily be any Christian or religious insinuates towards the Saints. I just think that winning is power - power is greed, greed is money, money is success...and all of these things could potentially help get more fans..

:?: what am i going on about??? hahaha

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Some interesting designs there, i don't think that they would be able to get across the line though, I feel that most AFL fans prefer a simpler, more traditional type of jumper...
I really like the back of the first jumper, I think if that had a more traditional (simpler) cross it could work quite well...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I like those designs Drew... and I agree on the symbolism of the cross... yes our nickname is the Saints, but I dont think in this day and age we need to be tied to a religion or an organised belief structure...

karnak
Club Player

I like the collars, even if they're coloured black,

I am liking the cross put forward by Armoo, but I think that even it needs some more work.

would love to see a bit of a cross (hehehe, excuse the pun) between maybe some of Drew's ideas and those of Armoo.

Keep em coming!

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
karnak
Club Player

I actually like the cross of the last 2 jumpers,

I think they look less cartoon like and more sharp and severe,

he is on to something, but isn't perfect yet.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

You're right karnak, they look sleek and intimidating.

I like them.

karnak
Club Player

I think they need more red on the sides (not so much that it isn't classed as a clash)

but also in same style as the blade/cross itself! So as to not lose the Guernsey's main advantage! its sleek look.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

hmm...those designs are interesting

completely throws out our tradition yet it delivers something aggressive and almost fearsome

i would be disapointed to see it in its current state but with some adjustments you could be on to something drew

most original idea so far well done...i agree with karnak though pehaps a little more colour would do it?

i dont love it...yet - its got the most potential though

karnak
Club Player

I'm pumped about how the cross is represented by a sword,

I've always thought that our mascot would be cool if a dude dressed in Armor runnign around the field.

but that's a side point, hehehe. You know like holy templars and stuff.

Batnoe

I like the second one the most, especially the top half, i think the streaks of colour should merge more into the middle of the guernsay and not as small and intense as it currenlty is

Longer, more pronounced strokes.

I actually have a basketball guernsay designed as a tuxedo and that is why i like the top half

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I like the gradient idea, Brisbane used it in their Clash jumper (although the yellow gradient at the bottom made it look like a pee stain) but I think if you replaced the black gradient with a red one it could be a lot better.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
goodie
Club Player

My suggestion. Not my greatest work, but my photoshop skills are rusty and I'm working with a touchpad instead of a mouse.

karnak
Club Player

nice try Goodie,

but with the V looks like we're representing Victoria and not St Kilda.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

karnak wrote:but with the V looks like we're representing Victoria and not St Kilda.
Some would say we are.

goodie
Club Player

karnak wrote:nice try Goodie,

but with the V looks like we're representing Victoria and not St Kilda.
No-one else is using the Big V design, and it looks good (in my incredibly biased opinion). I favour simple patterns on footy jumpers as opposed to some of the more flamboyant designs other clubs have, and there's only so many alternatives.

And of course if other clubs are annoyed by the Big V similarity, in particular those clubs who hold themselves in too high esteem, so much the better

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

not to sure about the big V, but what about a slight change and a big upside down triangle, so take away that tiny red and black at the top where the skins logo is.
that might look ok