JB’s future at Moorabbin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: JB’s future at Moorabbin

How many contested marks has Phillipou taken?

They are playing the same position- HF

23 possessions at HF is dominant, especially when you have half a dozen goal assists

Do you think right now
Phillipou is a better footballer than Billings

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Numbers

Jack Billings
Career Average in AFL
21poss (14 kicks)
0.7 goals
0.7 goal assists
0.35 contested marks
2.7 tackles

Phillipou season to date - and I think he’s going to be a great
14 poss (5 kicks)
0.65 goals
0.45 goal assists
0.45 contested marks
2.0 tackles

Yes, Phillipou’s numbers will get better. But as it stands right now - I’d give him a rest and bring in Billings - he’s just a better player at this point in time

BTW
23ppg is elite for a HF

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I don't see how our ""master coach" can be certain what he has to work with if he doesn't
give players like Billings, Windy and Bytel a fair go.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 11:21am I don't see how our ""master coach" can be certain what he has to work with if he doesn't
give players like Billings, Windy and Bytel a fair go.
I agree to an extent, there is little more that Windy can do than dominate at VFL level and that has not won him a recall.

When players like Paton seem to be additional to requirement (when in the same team as Webster & Stocker) and Windy can’t get in, it doesn’t look like selection integrity is alive.

Billings hasn’t kicked down the door, but I’d like him selected.

It’s not just at St Kilda.
Luke Dunstan had 48 disposals and 2 goals against Richmond VFL a couple of weeks ago and couldn’t win a spot in the seniors.

Some players like Bytel, Constable, Dunstan just dominate that competition but are only considered back up at AFL level.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
lewdogs
Club Player

Billings is contracted until 2025. Maybe they're looking at that contract and going we have plenty of time with him, get his body cherry ripe and then give him an opportunity.

If the coaches genuinely consider him a VFL level player then that contract is pretty concerning.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 1:49pm Billings is contracted until 2025. Maybe they're looking at that contract and going we have plenty of time with him, get his body cherry ripe and then give him an opportunity.

If the coaches genuinely consider him a VFL level player then that contract is pretty concerning.
That contract renewal at the end of 2021 made very little sense. It was almost as though they wanted to keep him just in case he comes back into career best form after there was zero interest from other clubs.

But who’s to say that he isn’t a part of Lyon’s future plans. For all we know, Ross left Phillipou in the team because he felt JB wasn’t 100% to come back and he’ll be playing against Sydney. Billings is almost an enigma haha

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 11:04am How many contested marks has Phillipou taken?

23 possessions at HF is dominant, especially when you have half a dozen goal assists

Do you think right now
I think the coach has been crystal clear
Billing’s has had NO preseason - None
I would think Batchelor Goddard etc know more about where he is at and what it takes to come back to AFL than sone hack on SS
Lyons also playing Pou for our future
Billing’s has had 9 friggen years to be “elite”
His peak is past
Pou is the future and our only hope of rising is to get ganes into kids - another short sighted point you make that entirely ignores where we are at as a club
Is Caminit better than Membrey right now??? No
Is Membrey in our future premiership forward line? No
It ain’t that hard ffs
So narrow minded and non strategic it so t funny
Are Sebs career stats better than Windy’s?? Yes
Who should we prioritise and play to develop for our future ????
Ffs 🤦‍♂️

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 11:15am Numbers

Jack Billings
Career Average in AFL
21poss (14 kicks)
0.7 goals
0.7 goal assists
0.35 contested marks
2.7 tackles

14 poss (5 kicks)
0.65 goals
0.45 goal assists
0.45 contested marks
2.0 tackles

Yes, Phillipou’s numbers will get better. But as it stands right now - I’d give him a rest and bring in Billings - he’s just a better player at this point in time

BTW
23ppg is elite for a HF
And the main reason he won't be considered is while he can play,he hasn't proven to be resilient and more recently when he did play, carried an injury.

takeaway
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 5:37pm
B.M wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 11:15am Numbers

Jack Billings
Career Average in AFL
21poss (14 kicks)
0.7 goals
0.7 goal assists
0.35 contested marks
2.7 tackles

14 poss (5 kicks)
0.65 goals
0.45 goal assists
0.45 contested marks
2.0 tackles

BTW
23ppg is elite for a HF
And the main reason he won't be considered is while he can play,he hasn't proven to be resilient and more recently when he did play, carried an injury.
Not resilient? Before his bad run with injury, Billings was averaging 18+ games per year. Agree last 2 years have been virtually a wipeout, that is why they are giving him a good run in 2s, make sure his body is right. Billings at his best is easily best 22, very good disposer (20+), which we are sorely lacking. I reckon he has still got a part to play, not 28 yet. When fully fit I would have him in, as well as Pou.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He’s played 4 (maybe even 5?) games in the VFL

Other players with limited pre seasons
Membrey picked after 1
King picked after 0
Ross picked (r2) after 0
Gresham after 0

Players who Ross does not rate
Bytel, Billings, Windhager, Connolly, Highmore, Campbell, Adams.

Senior players he may exit
Ross
Membrey

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The fact he played Paton on a wing over Billings is bizarre imo

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 6:21pm He’s played 4 (maybe even 5?) games in the VFL

Other players with limited pre seasons
Membrey picked after 1
King picked after 0
Ross picked (r2) after 0
Gresham after 0

Players who Ross does not rate
Bytel, Billings, Windhager, Connolly, Highmore, Campbell, Adams.

Senior players he may exit
Ross
Membrey
Ross on the exit list ?? But he won a BnF under Richo ?? Surely not..
you don’t have a clue who Lyon rates/doesn’t rate it’s more bum talk from you …honestly cut the cr@p you flog on like you’re in the inner circle…delusional
Again, comparing a returning King to a running role like Billing’s is dumb - not same players/positions thank **** u ain’t coach

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 11:04am How many contested marks has Phillipou taken?

Do you think right now
Little snippet from Mo on BF watches a bit of twos
Think JB has a bit to do…

Go and watch the 2nd half of the GWS game 2 weeks ago and watch Steele's 2nd half

How many of Billings VFL games have you watched ? He has been ordinary and done nothing to warrant a game

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I’ve watched all of them

TheGreatZacsby
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Sun 04 Jun 2023 2:18pm

Do you think right now
I would think Batchelor Goddard etc know more about where he is at and what it takes to come back to AFL than sone hack on SS
His peak is past
Pou is the future and our only hope of rising is to get ganes into kids - another short sighted point you make that entirely ignores where we are at as a club
It ain’t that hard ffs
Ffs 🤦‍♂️
As much I hate to agree with Teflon, but he’s right here. Billings fractured his leg during the pre season. Phillipou has done the program and was doing well. Not Windhager well mind you. I much rather see Lyon fast track Phillipou into the next Bont/Fyfe/Cripps mould than get Billings in the best 22 to appease Saints fans who desperately want him to become the player we thought he would be. Pou is the future and will be a gun.

I agree that Caminiti should be played over Membrey. He’s done and hasn’t showed anything this year. Seb Ross is holding onto Windhagers spot which is just annoying.

We need to be like Sam Mitchell at the end of the year and move on some of these old boys and make way for the youth. We as saints fans need to let go of our champions and develop these up and comers.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

TheGreatZacsby wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 9:22am

Do you think right now
His peak is past
It ain’t that hard ffs
Ffs 🤦‍♂️
As much I hate to agree with Teflon, but he’s right here. Billings fractured his leg during the pre season. Phillipou has done the program and was doing well. Not Windhager well mind you. I much rather see Lyon fast track Phillipou into the next Bont/Fyfe/Cripps mould than get Billings in the best 22 to appease Saints fans who desperately want him to become the player we thought he would be. Pou is the future and will be a gun.

I agree that Caminiti should be played over Membrey. He’s done and hasn’t showed anything this year. Seb Ross is holding onto Windhagers spot which is just annoying.

We need to be like Sam Mitchell at the end of the year and move on some of these old boys and make way for the youth. We as saints fans need to let go of our champions and develop these up and comers.
And Caminiti had a great preseason didn't he.?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The rumour was out in force in the preseason that Billings was one of a few players that copped a major rocket for not working hard enough.

Now I have no inside sources but was always under the impression that Billings was recruited with the goal of being an elite mid for us. I don’t ever remember seeing or reading about him as being at elite fitness… seldom has there been a training report that he’s burning up the track or is the fittest at the club etc.

In fact, there’s never been a suggestion that I remember when he was ever to move off a HFF other than to sit in the forward line.

My gut tells me that he’s a product of the Richo/Ratts years of being comfortable and not pushing himself as hard as he could to get to that next level.

His 27 now, can’t stay on the park and rarely has extended runs of good form.
My bet is that RTB, has laid the verbal smack down on him and the onus is on Billings to get into the best shape of his career before he is even considered for a look in. I’m not sure what his contract status is but chances are he’ll be be moved on or want to leave if he doesn’t meet those standards.

Saint2
Club Player

Lyon didn't bring JB to the club, so may not see the value on him as a player in his larger picture.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Did the poor chap not have a relatively recent operation on his back, stuffed disc? If so some of the comments seem to over look this small factor. E.g. how could he be criticised for not putting in during preseason when in traction.
Also to break your back you are taking big hits.
Perspective anyone?
Full disclosure, I like/rate Jack. Certainly more than a few other plodding pretenders that get free passes weekly. Has elite skills.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 2:54pm Did the poor chap not have a relatively recent operation on his back, stuffed disc? If so some of the comments seem to over look this small factor. E.g. how could he be criticised for not putting in during preseason when in traction.
Also to break your back you are taking big hits.
Perspective anyone?
Full disclosure, I like/rate Jack. Certainly more than a few other plodding pretenders that get free passes weekly. Has elite skills.
In reference to my comment… mine was a broader impression as opposed to specifically this past year.

Personally, I was a huge fan up until maybe 2 years ago when I got tired of the idea that Billings will be great when he gets back or gets his fitness up etc etc.
Alongside Jones, Hannebery, McKenzie to a lesser degree, that period where he’s on the park, stays on the park and is playing to the standard expected of him consistently never seems to come. There’s always a reason as to why. He came back last year after a long lay off, had a couple of 20 possession games and then churned performance that saw Windhager get more touches whilst playing as a tagger and it was obvious that the guys fitness is way down.

Understandable but it’s always is.

Here’s the question I ask…
If Billings is on the list for for 4 more years (til 31), what’s the more realistic outcome:

A) plays 60 games, most are good to great which would mean career best form and and he becomes an invaluable contributor to a finals push and likely a few wins in September

B) plays 30 games, constantly in an and out of the team, has a few really good performances a year and some patches where he gets 15 odd touches a game building fitness before tear a hamstring after his first BOG when it looks like he’s finally ready to repay the faith shown in him.

If you had to bet your house… tell me you’re not leaning towards option B.

I like the kid… I reckon his talent is unquestionable but he’s been on the list for what… 10 years now. Will his last 3 years be the best patch of his career?

Personally… if my summation of what RTB is doing with him (as detailed above) is correct, in this case, I back it. Let Billings show that he’s capable of doing the work and then we’ll talk. The point of comparison here is Byrnes… if Billings had the same dedication to his craft that Byrnes has demonstrated this year despite his short comings, I’d back Billings to be top 20 in the AFL.
Sinclair off the rookie list as a player that started around the same time with more obvious limitations has left him for dead.

Will be interesting to see what happens

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 11:58am

Do you think right now
His peak is past
It ain’t that hard ffs
Ffs 🤦‍♂️

Caminiti is not like for like for Billibgs
Again apples and oranges??

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 5:06pm

Do you think right now
His peak is past
It ain’t that hard ffs
Ffs 🤦‍♂️

His preseason was impressive. He impressed Carlton and got a walk in start in an AFL Club. What more could you ask?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Do you think right now
His peak is past
It ain’t that hard ffs
Ffs 🤦‍♂️

Who the f*** is Billibgs? :roll:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Caminiti didn’t do a pre season with Carlton

He was in their VFL pre season squad

He did a session of match sim with the AFL boys and impressed

Billings was in the rehab group pre Christmas- he then joined in training
Played in the praccie game and injured his leg

His season 22 was a right off - fkd back which was operated on
Ever played footy with a fkd back - it’s not good

His 2017 & 2019 were very good for a Winger/HF

He is far from a bust as a player

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 05 Jun 2023 6:46pm

Do you think right now
His peak is past
It ain’t that hard ffs
Ffs 🤦‍♂️

Who the f*** is Billibgs? :roll:
You know you’ve won the war when typos are what they’re going for!!
Put your teeth back in nijel

“Yeah….nah””