Our midfield

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Our midfield

B.M wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 12:05am Disrespectful

Untrue

Ignorant

Don’t think he kicked it Sicily once?

Kicked it to the player who kicked the first goal
Kicked it to Butler from the pocket- goal
Lies
Go watch it again and stop fan boying
Gotta move on
You’re stuck in Richo years

“Yeah….nah””
mickey
Club Player

Ross started well last year and then faded, doing the same this year. Needs a spell and may be useful later in the year as backup.

Windy has to come in, pure footballer the midfield is screaming out for. Towelled up Neale and Newcombe previously. Had a broken hand and is now ready to go.

Gresham plays well when we're winning but needs to lift when we're not.

Steele is injured, the bye has come at the right time.

Crouch always competes and at least he gets his hands on the pill. He's had a good year.

Clark does the fancy and sometimes the brave but he doesn't get it enough, his issue is fitness.

Owen's is explosive and a competitive beast, sorely missed at the moment.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 12:05am Disrespectful

Untrue

Ignorant

Don’t think he kicked it Sicily once?

Kicked it to the player who kicked the first goal
Kicked it to Butler from the pocket- goal
Here’s another Ross stat for you from weekend:

He attended 16 centre bounces had zero clearances

You do the maths….

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

lewdogs wrote: Sun 28 May 2023 9:56am Those numbers are alarming. Particularly Steele's, suggests he didn't get going at any stage of the game. On stats alone it seems Crouch was the only one that showed up.

You can highlight other areas of the ground that didn't work but the simple fact is with those midfield numbers you'll lose nearly every week.
Here’s an interesting view on Lyons approach on BF

It’s a year of exploration not on Windy,Owens or Poo more on Steele,Ross & Crouch he knows the upside of the younger ones he knows he has 3 M/F in the making,it’s our current batch of experienced 3 that is being judged & you can’t make that decision without playing them in there for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Good point.
Hes “exploring“ who to keep and who he needs to replace and what we need.
It’s not actually about the youngsters. Although generally they’re getting a good go at the same time. He knows what he’s doing with Windy, you can hear that from the presser, no matter what we plebs think.

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

He knew what he was doing with Luke Ball too

Who went on to be a premiership player at a rival club and finish top 5 in their B&F

Ross is a good coach, he ain’t the messiah- and that’s the problem with Saints supporters - we have a messiah complex

Coach
About 10% impact on results imo - they are not the most important factor in success - that’s industry wank

Players get it done!

List Manager 40%
Recruiters 40%
Fitness Staff 10%

Those who thought it was all about Richo or all about Ratten and the success/failures came down to them are basically moronic supporters who think coaches have a magic potion

Ross is a good coach - he ain’t coaching this list to a GF

In fact, he’ll do no better than Ratten or Richo

footynut
Club Player

Just a few changes to try for Sydney:

Webster, Howard, Wilkie
Sinclair Battle NWM

Hill Windy Wood

Butler Caminiti, Steele
Marshall, King, Higgins

Campbell, Crouch, Owens

Clark, Stocker, Connolly, Byrnes
Bytel / Billing’s / Gresham - depending on who’s the fittest and willing to gut run

I’d like to play Highmore instead of Howard, but he has height.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

In the coaches box try getting the defence coach to pass a water to Ross through the mids and forwards coaches. Will invariably end on the floor before getting to Ross who will whimsically say he wasn't really thirsty.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

If he knows what he's doing, he isn't doing a very good job at explaining it to the fans.

What happened to media friendly Ross? Is it all a facade?

No more bubble, just a wall of bulls***.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 9:01am If he knows what he's doing, he isn't doing a very good job at explaining it to the fans.

What happened to media friendly Ross? Is it all a facade?

No more bubble, just a wall of bulls***.
Lol I don’t think Lyon gives two shiites about media the message he gives them ain’t what he’d give behind closed doors
Read Wilkies comments about Lyons post match message to players on “picking and choosing “ when to go
He didn’t say that in presser cause he’s not interested in media marketing
He was still friendly tho🙂

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Unshakable convictions by a grown man are so endearing.

Adorable!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 9:42am Unshakable convictions by a grown man are so endearing.

Adorable!
I think Ross just has a strong sense of self belief - that was your point wasn’t it?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Let’s hope Ollie Horton lives up to this hype as to whether or not he’s a goal kicking mid (love one of them one day..)

****€

Yes most Definitely. Was my second favourite player in the draft after Pou. Has blistering speed and power and good overhead. He was building towards the end of last year. Very excited to see what spark he can add. Think Shuey.

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 9:52am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 9:42am Unshakable convictions by a grown man are so endearing.

Adorable!
I think Ross just has a strong sense of self belief - that was your point wasn’t it?
Sure.

:D

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
mickey
Club Player

I think Ross is right when he says we pick and choose. Only a handful of players we can rely on week in, week out. I feel like we play like a team that has won a premiership and when we're expected to win we don't respect the opposition. We haven't earned the right to behave like that yet.

I would also like the coaches take the opposition seriously when a player is dominating eg. Horne Francis, Daicos and Sicily. I don't know how many times I screamed for someone to pick up Sicily.... my daughter called me a pyscho and left the room ! Is it just me ?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mickey wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 2:20pm I think Ross is right when he says we pick and choose. Only a handful of players we can rely on week in, week out. I feel like we play like a team that has won a premiership and when we're expected to win we don't respect the opposition. We haven't earned the right to behave like that yet.

I would also like the coaches take the opposition seriously when a player is dominating eg. Horne Francis, Daicos and Sicily. I don't know how many times I screamed for someone to pick up Sicily.... my daughter called me a pyscho and left the room ! Is it just me ?
no mate.

Three fails just right there.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mickey wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 2:20pm I think Ross is right when he says we pick and choose. Only a handful of players we can rely on week in, week out. I feel like we play like a team that has won a premiership and when we're expected to win we don't respect the opposition. We haven't earned the right to behave like that yet.

It’s one thing to pick up Sicily
It’s another for your mids to stop kicking the f king ball to him
Coaches don’t instruct that

“Yeah….nah””
mickey
Club Player

Agree the mids were kicking to him but he was winning it on the ground as well. When Higgins dropped the chest mark he started sulking and walking to the top of the goal square, meanwhile directly behind him Sicily just sprinted past him and set them on their way. Mids can't be blamed for that..... that moment of Higgins dropping his head annoyed me as much as the dropped mark.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mickey wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 9:40pm Agree the mids were kicking to him but he was winning it on the ground as well. When Higgins dropped the chest mark he started sulking and walking to the top of the goal square, meanwhile directly behind him Sicily just sprinted past him and set them on their way. Mids can't be blamed for that..... that moment of Higgins dropping his head annoyed me as much as the dropped mark.
True we didn’t help
But that’s not coaching that’s on players
He played well too - he won contested ball against Caminiti
Owens next time will be an interesting battle

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross has now gone four games without a 20 disposal game. Excluding 2020, that hasn't happened since early 2015. IMO the credits are running low.

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 10:02pm Seb Ross has now gone four games without a 20 disposal game. Excluding 2020, that hasn't happened since early 2015. IMO the credits are running low.
I’ve grown into the belief that you need experience on the list to lead the way for the developing players.
Certainly moving on Goddard, Dal, Milne, Kosi etc impacted that list more than I realised at the time.

But… when you’re 30 and are keeping guys like Windy and Bytel out of the team… it’s only ok if you’re crushing it. Ross has been good-great for a year but he’s been churning these performances for a month now and he didn’t exactly stand up as a leader when we needed it.

In that context, he should find form at Sandy and lead the way there until, like everyone else, he pushes his way in.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

No

We are rebuilding

Lyon has proven that he’s a great rebuild coach

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 10:31pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 10:02pm Seb Ross has now gone four games without a 20 disposal game. Excluding 2020, that hasn't happened since early 2015. IMO the credits are running low.
I’ve grown into the belief that you need experience on the list to lead the way for the developing players.
Certainly moving on Goddard, Dal, Milne, Kosi etc impacted that list more than I realised at the time.

But… when you’re 30 and are keeping guys like Windy and Bytel out of the team… it’s only ok if you’re crushing it. Ross has been good-great for a year but he’s been churning these performances for a month now and he didn’t exactly stand up as a leader when we needed it.

In that context, he should find form at Sandy and lead the way there until, like everyone else, he pushes his way in.
I agree Skeptic
Ignore the childish digs at coaching
Ross should be spelled absolutely- good depth
Windhager Owens midfield time now

“Yeah….nah””
mickey
Club Player

Post bye I'd feel more optimistic with Owen's and Windy in the middle against the Swans plus they now won't have Parker.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

So Seb Ross is the scapegoat for the team not performing

I didn’t realise one player made such a difference???? Isn’t that what you said??

What about his first 6 rounds? How did you judge them??

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 30 May 2023 11:28pm So Seb Ross is the scapegoat for the team not performing

I didn’t realise one player made such a difference???? Isn’t that what you said??

What about his first 6 rounds? How did you judge them??
I agree… he was great and he is in great form. Let’s make him captain. Rate his last month BM. Go on.

Let me guess. He’s completely above even being questioned.