TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: TRAINING REPORTS - JAN to MAR

Pleased to hear Allison is improving. At 195cm with plenty of leg speed he has two important prerequisites for the modern game.

I wrote in an earlier post that he played with the intensity of a man waiting for a bus. Sound's like that's changed.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 2:41pm Matt Allison has improved 200%. Will know when the practice matches start mid to late Feb. And early info- will be at Moorabbin Friday evenings
https://www.afl.com.au/news/872549/untr ... stands-out

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 3:00pm Pleased to hear Allison is improving. At 195cm with plenty of leg speed he has two important prerequisites for the modern game.

I wrote in an earlier post that he played with the intensity of a man waiting for a bus. Sound's like that's changed.
I must say I had written him off as a fail, but am more than happy to be proven wrong.

Killa
Club Player

The question is, if the new regime is as described on this Forum, why is Cordy presenting as described on here and what is the response of the Coach and his panel (including the fitness and conditioning staff)?

What is presented on these sites appears as contradiction

On the one hand a regime focussed on fitness

But on the other hand, a seasoned recruit presenting as unfit

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 3:37pm The question is, if the new regime is as described on this Forum, why is Cordy presenting as described on here and what is the response of the Coach and his panel (including the fitness and conditioning staff)?

So 1 player who was recruited and earmarked before Lyon -crew took over is enough to contradict ALL the other evidence you’ve seen to the contrary?

“Yeah….nah””
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 3:37pm The question is, if the new regime is as described on this Forum, why is Cordy presenting as described on here and what is the response of the Coach and his panel (including the fitness and conditioning staff)?

Would not be the first time we've been sold a pup.

This is now up to the coach and the player. There is still two months of training for Cordy to prove himself, one way or the other.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Judge for yourselves.

Inspiring stuff.

https://www.saints.com.au/video/1234047 ... 5027347001

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

He talks fit
Bit of swagger about him…
RTB will sort

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

He interviews like he trains.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 3:53pm He interviews like he trains.
Lol yeah seems still hung over from pre season…
Must be hard walking in new club
Being shipped off from old man’s
Having to start again
Anyway I’ll reserve judgement
I look at him as insurance so a cheap buy in some respect…does t work out he’s cooked
I think RTB ‘system Defence’ won’t live or die by 1 guy ..

“Yeah….nah””
saintly
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 3:53pm He interviews like he trains.
that interview was 3 months ago.

Saints58
Club Player

Devilhead wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 12:35am Can we at least give Cordy to the middle of the season to prove his worth?

If he hasn't improved by then .......
Lets give Cordy a chance its up to him to make a impression if he doesn't he wont play.
I do know the WB rated cordy and were not happy to lose him, is he carrying a injury?
Guys like Van Es could see a spot open up on KPD the kid is a big unit and very quick is ready to go at 96kg
All the more reason to pick up Eire

Gershwin
Club Player

Saints58 wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 7:50pm
Devilhead wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 12:35am Can we at least give Cordy to the middle of the season to prove his worth?

If he hasn't improved by then .......
Lets give Cordy a chance its up to him to make a impression if he doesn't he wont play.
I do know the WB rated cordy and were not happy to lose him, is he carrying a injury?
Guys like Van Es could see a spot open up on KPD the kid is a big unit and very quick is ready to go at 96kg
All the more reason to pick up Eire
If Van Es plays this season, it will be one of the best recruiting coups of the decade.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Training today from BF

Wanganeen is sexual off a HBF. Reads the play well, nice height to help intercept and then that composure and leg!! Toot tooot!
Owens involved so much up forward. Needs to stick some marks, but gee he moves well and competes so hard.
I was impressed with Peris playing a high HF type role. Involved quite a lot just through running hard, but seemed to be reading the play well.
Pou got on the end of some nice passages for lead ups and goals. It was nice to see how naturally he positioned himself and not something we seem to have ever done well as a group (that easy, really short hit up kick into 50).
Sharman looking bigger and another that naturally leads up well and nice hands.
Hill looking as fit as I’ve seen.
Whole midfield has so much more depth.
At one point early on, Peris did a no look handball that hit the deck and RTB didn’t take any s**t and made them re-do.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

From GoSaints

At one stage during backline structure training (it looked like), RTB wasn't happy with it and made everybody stop and not move so he could point out the incorrect positioning of a couple of them. Very different to last year, that's for sure

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Interesting Wood through midfield
A number of training posters gave indicated that RTB seems keen to grow the numbers of players rolling through there
Great news! We need more midfield options and class
We’ve been too sane paced

“Yeah….nah””
Club Player

Just my thanks to those that post training reports. Really enjoyable and very much appreciated. Cheers.

axcellence
Club Player

Why is Paddy at the training, even if watching only? Any chance to do an SSP insurance pickup?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

What has the new regime got to do with the "as arrived fitness" of a recruit acquired by the old regime?

The new regime can yes look to improve him, but they do not have a magic wand to instantly improve him.

A player like Windy clearly went away and worked on himself. Whereas Cordy did what? Also how poor fitness wise was Cordy at the Dogs? In signing Cordy, what expectations and commitments did the old regime agree with Cordy on?

Having been to training the new regime are trying to work Cordy hard, just as they are working the whole list hard. Cordy has started at a lower bar than his new team mates though. With Cordy what personal responsibility did he take to work on his off season fitness after walking out on the Dogs?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 11:39pm Why is Paddy at the training, even if watching only?

I would imagine that he was just a very interested observer who was also catching up with some mates.

Though it would be great if the club also had him giving Keeler a few tips and encouragement.
axcellence wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 11:39pm Any chance to do an SSP insurance pickup?
Hopefully not. Playing Sharman etc now will do more for our future than playing Paddy for another year now.

We need as a club to focus on how to get better and better over the next several years so that we can become a genuine contender. 2023 is just the entree in doing this. Going for stop gaps like Paddy for 2023 would only set us back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Saintmike65
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote: Fri 13 Jan 2023 3:00pm Pleased to hear Allison is improving. At 195cm with plenty of leg speed he has two important prerequisites for the modern game.

BJ has been working closely with young Allison which is definitely bearing fruit.
If you isolate his attributes, he has elite endurance, covers the ground well, strong mark & good kick.
The thing that I’ve noticed recently is that he works his arse off, also he wants the ball in his hands!
He seems to have a greater belief in himself..can’t wait to see him in the intra club game.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Allison hopefully can get a game early and show if he might be capable of making the grade.

We need to clean out the list cloggers and stop employing kids who spend years on the list without getting a game at AFL level. This has been our problem over multiple coaches.

Admittedly the business model is antiquated and terribly challenging but it's time for the club to be truly innovative and be brutal with kids coming into the club. 2 years max should be the time allowed to make the grade.

happy feet
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 9:10am Allison hopefully can get a game early and show if he might be capable of making the grade.

We need to clean out the list cloggers and stop employing kids who spend years on the list without getting a game at AFL level. This has been our problem over multiple coaches.

Admittedly the business model is antiquated and terribly challenging but it's time for the club to be truly innovative and be brutal with kids coming into the club. 2 years max should be the time allowed to make the grade.
Well I am very glad that you have nothing to do with the Club. Two years is not long enough to develop a player to AFL standard in many cases. All we would do is gift talent to other clubs. Your post makes me think you are an Essendon supporter who gets his jollies from trolling ridiculous posts like this one. You brought this one up before and were smashed, at least try something original and stop regurgitating your old bile.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 9:10am Allison hopefully can get a game early and show if he might be capable of making the grade.

How many players on Geelongs list play each year?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote: Sat 14 Jan 2023 10:17am

Well I am very glad that you have nothing to do with the Club. Two years is not long enough to develop a player to AFL standard in many cases. All we would do is gift talent to other clubs. Your post makes me think you are an Essendon supporter who gets his jollies from trolling ridiculous posts like this one. You brought this one up before and were smashed, at least try something original and stop regurgitating your old bile.
Pffft, smashed by you and let's be honest the complex subject of footy seems well outstide your wheelhouse, to be fair you sound very underdeveloped and insecure, maybe trial a bit more happy and little less thinking on your feet Happyfeet.

The fact of the matter is the 2020 draft was an absolute farce, and for obvious reasons, I can't think of anyone offhand that is likely to make it from that draft year, I'm sure I'll be corrected of an outlier but you get my point.

The club has made a very clear and forceful decision to be brutal and unapologetic in how it manages individuals who don't perform so all I'd like to see is consistence and for this brutality to be extended to players, as I said, the club should look to be truly innovative in its approach to the business model in its pursuit of an elite environment, if you can't cut it, you are cut, but if you make it you will be reward handsomely. Only the highly skilled and tough need apply.

Now see if you can have a go at some free thoughts of your own.