Private School intake Draft Day

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Re: Private School intake Draft Day

So if private schools provide a superior product, and most players come from that superior background, how come so many don't seem to grasp simple concepts like kick or handball to a player wearing the same strip, or tackle, chase, kick accurately, try hard especially on big occasions. Defend, now that's a conundrum for many. Perhaps the high end vocational guidance needs tuning. If you can't grasp fairly simple stuff perhaps try politics, not complicated game plans in a sport that requires quick thinking and putting group interests first; I don't think there is a regular AFL player called Barnaby is there?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Thu 27 Oct 2022 9:39am Another draft and the squads are over loaded with the private schoolboys. Cmon recruiters look deeper than your pockets.
For someone who professes to be involved in AFL pathways you write comments like above that make no sense.

Perhaps it’s you and not the recruiters that need to look outside your own geographic back yard.

Look at rough numbers.

Between 30-40 NAB league kids will be drafted.
There are 12 teams with say 40 players rotating through in a season = 480 players?

So in any season the top 6-8% of those players are drafted.

Of the top 10% of talent how many would be offered scholarships because of their sporting talent, keeping in mind most gun footballers are also guns at other sports? Say 90-95% of these kids are on scholarships?

So you have a very high concentration of elite talent in the NAB league & private school system, no one would doubt that. So where do recruiters look most closely, where the talent is.

With limited resources you want recruiters to scour back block country leagues where they might find a 1 in 1000 talent that has slipped through the cracks or where the real talent is on offer.

The real question here Curly is how are the recruiters and scouts from 18 clubs getting it so wrong by focusing on NAB league, state leagues, APS, AGSV etc instead of following your knowledge advice to look at junior competition in low level regional leagues.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 8:30pm
The_Dud wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 9:37am From very limited “research”…

Overall, in 2019-20 the commonwealth spent $3,246 on public school students and the states spent $11,935, for a total of $15,181. Meanwhile, the commonwealth spent $10,211 for each private school student and the states spent $2,978, a total of $13,189.

Can we then start the debate about religious schools that take government money and are allowed to discriminate against particular students??

;)

So let us just assume those figures are correct.

In total , Governments spend more ( $15,181) on public school students than on private school students ( $ 13,189).

Dud - simple question : have I read the results of your research correctly?
Yep, that’s what it says. Though the article also pointed out private schools were overfunded and public underfunded when measured against the guidelines funding is supposed to follow.

More “research”, the wealth of some of these private schools is so massive that cuts in government funding would barely make a dent.

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/austral ... 5814b.html

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

St Plugger wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 10:16pm
saynta wrote: Sat 29 Oct 2022 10:16am
st.byron wrote: Fri 28 Oct 2022 9:33pm
To me, it's a pretty crappy justification for the comparitive lack of funding for govt. schools to say that the system would fall apart if it were different. And no way private school kids should receive the same subsidy as govt school kids.
They actually don't but why shouldn't they, pray tell?
I draw the analogy with owning a "private" car. You don't get any grants by choosing to use a private vehicle, even though you could use public transport!
You could argue that PT doesn't work for you, but if it was fully funded, it just might in say 95% or so of the time. Same goes for public education. Your right to choose, but the term "private' means you do it at your own cost!
Only your opinion, not mine.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Agreed

Most of the elite talent is in the private system.

There are players who slip through the cracks and end up never playing AFL.

The two best players I’ve ever seen at local level (including ex AFL player that played there) should have clearly played AFL and for reasons unknown to me didn’t get the opportunity

Perhaps that was an example of not looking hard enough?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

i didn't go to a private school because I thought they were private.

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

B.M wrote: Sun 30 Oct 2022 10:56am Agreed

Most of the elite talent is in the private system.

There are players who slip through the cracks and end up never playing AFL.

The two best players I’ve ever seen at local level (including ex AFL player that played there) should have clearly played AFL and for reasons unknown to me didn’t get the opportunity

Perhaps that was an example of not looking hard enough?
BM, given you are involved in the education system, would you agree an extremely high % of elite talent is in the private system due to being identified and offered scholarships?

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Correct

I posted that - but it doesn’t seem to be on the thread?

Maybe I accidentally posted it on another thread?

We lose about 8-10 every year
High end academic kids to John Monash, Nossal, Melbourne High, Macrob. At the end of Y8

We lose elite sporting kids to
Haileybury, Rowville, Box Hill, Hallam

And even Musically/Drama talented kids to performing arts schools

I’ve taught 2 kids (current school) who’ve made AFL
StK and Bulldogs
And 2 at my previous school both StK

I’ve also taught 3 or 4 that were probably AFL talented but for other reasons didn’t make it. Such as Size, Attitude and or lack of support from home.