He's Only 22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Crossy66
Club Player

Re: He's Only 22

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 12:14pm I, like every other Saints supporter was terribly disappointed in King's chronic waywardness on Friday night, and yes, if he'd kicked straight St Kilda would probably have won that game. But I think it's quite unfair to unload our frustrations out on the young fella, instead we should sympathise because obviously he feels the pain more than anyone. Reckon this would cause many haunting sleepless nights, even for the most consummate professional.

Garry Lyon's comments after the game that "Max failed and he will have to live with that for the next 6 months" was uncalled for and in some ways irresponsible as it just piles on the pressure - no wonder players avoid the media.

As Devilhead pointed out on Saturday:

"After 58 games he is equal on terms against Hawkins, JRoo after their first 58 games - 2 of the best forwards over the last 10 years.

Would you be disappointed if he goes in to kick 700+ ??

King after his first 58 games - 107.86
Hawkins after his first 58 games - 79.42
JRoo after his first 58 games - 102.63
Franklin after his first 58 games - 135.88"

I also take issue with supporters who condemn Brett Ratten for not allowing King to seek help from his schooldays coach Matthew Lloyd - he is simply refusing to discuss this idea in the media, and rightly so because imagine how much focus that would bring on such arrangements, it would lead to endless discussion by the footy reporters. Far better to keep that totally out of the spotlight.

In the context of Max King's future career, this will be merely a minor blip on the radar.

PS: and this is yet another problem that Ratten has failed to fix :roll:
Very good points

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 12:42pm
SaintDippa wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 9:50am Brekkie Saturday morning in Sorrento, Max and partner seated next table. Looked shattered and dejected. Maybe half a chuckle in 45 min. I decided to leave my kicking advice for another day.
Poor bastard. Hope he is okay.

He clearly needs a strong, contested physical presence along side him in the forward line.

He is carrying too much responsibility and isn’t ready yet.
Spot on
Right now he’s taking best defender and anyone else in vicinity
If he had a Curnow/McKay next to him he’d get off the leash much more
Pull out ALL stops and get his brother …he only signed for 2 years ffs

“Yeah….nah””
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 11:57am I remember Stewie Loewe had a terrible kicking action. Peter Hudson turned him around.
I reckon Loewe turned Loewe around, though Hudson was reported to be a big help.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 2:36pm
saynta wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 11:57am I remember Stewie Loewe had a terrible kicking action. Peter Hudson turned him around.
I reckon Loewe turned Loewe around, though Hudson was reported to be a big help.

It was Loewe who had to do the hard yards, but it was Hudson who showed him how to kick at goals better.
To achieve the better action it takes time to reinforce it so that the new action becomes instinctive and natural. So that the player can execute it without thinking.

Loewe without Hudson would have remained a poor kick on goal. Loewe without his own commitment to improve his action, would have also remained a poor kick.

NATHAN BURKE:
Then there were others like Stewart Loewe. A man mountain who one coach used the phrase ‘couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo’ in reference to his early accuracy statistics.

That was true until along came another guy who wasn’t too bad at putting the ball through the big ones – Hawthorn champ Peter Hudson.
Huddo rebuilt Stewart’s kicking by simplifying it.

Modern-day players could take a lead from Tony Lockett.
The mantra was simply run straight, drop it straight, kick it straight. Sounds too easy, don’t it?

After countless hours of hard work, Stew took his goalkicking tally from the likes of 45 goals 53 behinds in 1992 to 76.39 in 1995 and 90.58 in 1996

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Did Loewe or Locket twirl the ball as part of their set shot routines. :lol: :lol:

At least King doesn't have the Kennedy stutter as he runs in, imagine trying to coach around that habit. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Loewekicked 45-53 despite Hudson being there from 1990-1992?!

older saint
SS Life Member

B.M wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 3:24pm Loewekicked 45-53 despite Hudson being there from 1990-1992?!
2 years before that was 22-33

ended up 594-410 so i think it worked bloody well.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintDippa wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 9:50am Brekkie Saturday morning in Sorrento, Max and partner seated next table. Looked shattered and dejected. Maybe half a chuckle in 45 min. I decided to leave my kicking advice for another day.

He clearly needs a strong, contested physical presence along side him in the forward line.

Hayes will fill that spot in 2023

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 4:21pm

Hayes will fill that spot in 2023
I presume so. An experienced, hardened body and you can be guaranteed a contest every time you kick to him.

However, he wasn’t always getting a game when both Ryder and Marshall were available. I didn’t agree with it at the time and I still don’t.

I think you need a spine whether you are playing one ruck or two.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 11:41am
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 10:17am All the Max bashing is just ridiculous.

If there is a fault it is our Coach and Football department who have decided to:

1/ Run with Max as the only true big forward = huge pressure on a young player (Neither Marshall or Ryder play like a proper key forward does).
2/ Then making that even worse, by having Max as such a key focus where he is kicked to way more than he should be (result being that the opposition are always at him)
3/ And worse again with such poor forward entries

This has resulted in a situation where Max is carrying way more of the load and pressure than he should.

and then :

3/ Not allowing him to have some extra goalkicking support that he wanted.

Well said.
+1

Ratts famously gave Missy Higgins votes in the coaches association award in that match we lost to Swans last year where Jack kicked 1-6. Those late misses by Jack could have been the difference between winning and losing.

I expect Ratts to be seriously contemplating giving Max 1 vote in the AFLCA award for this match. Ratts again recently gave Max votes against the Dockers in a match where King kicked 2-5.

viewtopic.php?p=1972175#p1972175

I reckon it’s stupid to reward someone with a coaches vote for ‘effort’ alone if it means they haven’t executed and they haven’t done what they’re paid to do. Ratts may as well give Membrey votes as well for his effort and for missing that clutch goal late in the dying minutes of the third qter

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 5:49pm
bigcarl wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 11:41am
saintsRrising wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 10:17am All the Max bashing is just ridiculous.

If there is a fault it is our Coach and Football department who have decided to:

1/ Run with Max as the only true big forward = huge pressure on a young player (Neither Marshall or Ryder play like a proper key forward does).
2/ Then making that even worse, by having Max as such a key focus where he is kicked to way more than he should be (result being that the opposition are always at him)
3/ And worse again with such poor forward entries

This has resulted in a situation where Max is carrying way more of the load and pressure than he should.

and then :

3/ Not allowing him to have some extra goalkicking support that he wanted.

Well said.
+1

Ratts famously gave Missy Higgins votes in the coaches association award in that match we lost to Swans last year where Jack kicked 1-6. Those late misses by Jack could have been the difference between winning and losing.

I expect Ratts to be seriously contemplating giving Max 1 vote in the AFLCA award for this match. Ratts again recently gave Max votes against the Dockers in a match where King kicked 2-5.

viewtopic.php?p=1972175#p1972175

I reckon it’s stupid to reward someone with a coaches vote for ‘effort’ alone if it means they haven’t executed and they haven’t done what they’re paid to do. Ratts may as well give Membrey votes as well for his effort and for missing that clutch goal late in the dying minutes of the third qter
How do you know which coach votes for who? You seem to assume that each coach is more inclined to give votes to his own team. Not necessarily the case. Just guessing.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Not necessarily the case…

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The coach who wins rewards his players for winning the game. They look to vote impartially and if they pick someone from the opposition it’s usually someone who has had an outstanding game. They don’t reward a player on the other side for their ‘effort’

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sun 14 Aug 2022 6:05pm Not necessarily the case…

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The coach who wins rewards his players for winning the game. They don’t reward the other side for their ‘effort’
Rubbish. How do you know?

Anyway, I would've given Higgins & King votes in those games mentioned. None to King for Friday though.

happy feet
Club Player

What I think is bad is the social media pile on. Nobody deserves that, especially from that complete flog and worst commentator of all time Brian Taylor.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.