Is Billings a part of the club’s future?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Billings a part of the club’s future?

Has Billings never played a good game in StK colours?

Because some of derogatory commentary is ridiculous!

IMO - he is a quality half forward (fit) and has played many good games for StK

You don’t play 150 games if your no good! M

Laughable stuff

Btw
Seb embarrassing himself?!
That comment is embarrassing in itself - you obviously don’t understand the game!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 5:43pm Has Billings never played a good game in StK colours?

Because some of derogatory commentary is ridiculous!

IMO - he is a quality half forward (fit) and has played many good games for StK

You don’t play 150 games if your no good! M

Laughable stuff

Btw
Seb embarrassing himself?!
That comment is embarrassing in itself - you obviously don’t understand the game!

Yep. Says the bloke who wanted Howard dropped. Yep, you know your stuff 😂

Seb was poor for a senior player for more than 1 season. Teams don’t come close to winning flags if their senior players don’t perform, hence the justified criticism of Billings as well.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

I think Jack used to play closer to goal. He is not ideally suited to the wing position. That said, he didn't play until Round 9, so didn't have a proper pre season.

Killa
Club Player

Why don't we just move on all players on our List - and start again from nothing.

After all, all players on our List are crap.

So we start by getting rid of Coffield, Clark, Gresham, Billings, Marshall and anyone else who has been impacted by long term injuries across their respective careers at the Club.

As we should have got rid of Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Ball and others who were impacted by injury and missed games thru their careers.

And why did we recruit such bog ordinary players such as Steele and Membrey and Crouch et al from other Clubs.

We should have recruited AFL standard players, not fossils such as Steele and Membrey and Crouch et al.

And we should have Drafted the likes of McCartin, Acres, Hickey et al.

Because they are elite players,unlike any on our List.

Not Drafting duds such as Wanganeen-Milera, Windhager, Owens et al

When you miss pre-seasons and then chunks of seasons, if not seasons, it tells.

Which is why Haneberry's performance yesterday was elite - in fact, beyond elite.

Can he maintain and improve on that level?

Maybe not this season because of the preparation interruptions - but we look forward to next year.

Given we don't cut him in the meantime.

Along with everyone else.

And Rattan answered a question from a "journalist" from the rabid, infested media pack.

Perhaps we should appoint the "journalist" as Dictator of St Kilda FC - or even the State of Victoria

And the fellow uneducated join in on forums such as this.

Makes you wonder about society.

happy feet
Club Player

Killa wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 6:08pm Why don't we just move on all players on our List - and start again from nothing.

So we start by getting rid of Coffield, Clark, Gresham, Billings, Marshall and anyone else who has been impacted by long term injuries across their respective careers at the Club.

As we should have got rid of Riewoldt, Koschitzke, Ball and others who were impacted by injury and missed games thru their careers.

And why did we recruit such bog ordinary players such as Steele and Membrey and Crouch et al from other Clubs.

We should have recruited AFL standard players, not fossils such as Steele and Membrey and Crouch et al.

Which is why Haneberry's performance yesterday was elite - in fact, beyond elite.

Maybe not this season because of the preparation interruptions - but we look forward to next year.

And Rattan answered a question from a "journalist" from the rabid, infested media pack.

Perhaps we should appoint the "journalist" as Dictator of St Kilda FC - or even the State of Victoria

Well said. It wasn’t long ago we had a serial pest that wanted everyone sacked and replaced with GT.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Personally I’ve never called for Billings to be traded, mainly because I’m certain that the only people who rate him so highly are deluded Saints supporters. Ask other supporters whether they’d take him and you’ll discover where he stands. I had the same stance on Ross. Why trade someone for a 2nd/3rd rounder??

Ross has turned himself around. I would be rapt if we can get more out of Billings. No one is barracking against him

I’m satisfied with our drafting from the past few years.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Billings missed large parts of the 2015 and 2016 seasons with a shin injury and ankle injury respectively, but came back strong in the latter part of 2016 to poll votes in the club's best and fairest award in four of the last five games.[8] Billings injured his hamstring in the 2022 pre season competition and also has ramen syndesmosis awareness.

He is unlikely to feature much this season and has indicated he would love to play for Essendon in 2023.

!!!
says tricky Wikileaks

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Billings missed large parts of the 2015 and 2016 seasons with a shin injury and ankle injury respectively, but came back strong in the latter part of 2016 to poll votes in the club's best and fairest award in four of the last five games.[8] Billings injured his hamstring in the 2022 pre season competition and also has ramen syndesmosis awareness.

He is unlikely to feature much this season and has indicated he would love to play for Essendon in 2023.

!!!
says tricky Wikileaks

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

You guys don't understand. Billings had class. He coulda been a contender. He coulda been somebody, instead of a injured bum, which is what he is, let's face it

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 6:08pm Why don't we just move on all players on our List - and start again from nothing.

Love your posts mate. You should post more often IMHO.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 6:32pm

!!!
says tricky Wikileaks
What a huge pile of that steaming stinking smelly stuff.

The guy recently signed a four year contract.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I wanted Howard dropped?

I wanted him to play a little bit closer to his direct opponent for a No1 key defender

He sags off too much imo and I have been very critical of this… and his finger pointing and kicking in
But
He is incredibly important to the structure in the back half. Dropped, I don’t think so!

Egg on faces with Seb
Probably end up the same with JB

Will never admit it though… will ya

BTW
I am going to research where Seb finished in the B&F and how many games he played in 20-21 for a player who embarrassed himself he seemed to be in the side a bit?!

Not sure you have a grip on players outcome with the role they play?!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 8:49pm I wanted Howard dropped?

Not sure you have a grip on players outcome with the role they play?!
Lol. Now you realise how important Howard is? When we’ve been monstered without him. I shudder to think what Hawkins and Cameron will do to us next week.

In your bubble where you believe you have this incredible insight to player’s roles in the team. Like you’re the only person on here who has played or coached and we’re all here to learn off you 😂😂

B.M
Saintsational Legend

We’ve been Monstered by who?

Which Key Forward has kicked more than 2 against us?

Seriously

Wilkie has been awesome!!!! Votes on the weekend!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I just know what the role is of most positions- like most people

Except it seems

You

Moods
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 9:09pm I just know what the role is of most positions- like most people

Except it seems

You
Except you don’t. Like a complete novice you’re defending a bloke who gets 15-20 meaningless possessions. Whose pressure is poor. Whose creativity for a fwd is poor. But hey, he’s getting touches that no one cares about. Misses crucial shots at goals and more often than not misses hit up leads, to the extent that he rarely tries those kicks anymore.

See, I attended games and watch them on tv, I don’t need to read a stats sheet to tell me he’s had no impact, I trust my eyes.

As for Seb, at least he’s had some very good years, but for a few years there his kicking went off the boil. It’s the bread and butter of a mid. He often gave it too much air and passes were constantly intercepted. He lost confidence as a result.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 9:25pm
B.M wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 9:09pm I just know what the role is of most positions- like most people

Except it seems

You
Except you don’t. Like a complete novice you’re defending a bloke who gets 15-20 meaningless possessions. Whose pressure is poor. Whose creativity for a fwd is poor. But hey, he’s getting touches that no one cares about. Misses crucial shots at goals and more often than not misses hit up leads, to the extent that he rarely tries those kicks anymore.

See, I attended games and watch them on tv, I don’t need to read a stats sheet to tell me he’s had no impact, I trust my eyes.

As for Seb, at least he’s had some very good years, but for a few years there his kicking went off the boil. It’s the bread and butter of a mid. He often gave it too much air and passes were constantly intercepted. He lost confidence as a result.
Really good post
Billing’s job as a forward is to kick goals or set them up - he’s poor in both areas
He can have 25+ and you leave wondering…”was he out there today??”
It’s not about useless possessions
It’s about effective possessions and impact
I’d hazard a fire right now Owens/Windhager impact the game more
Be different if Billings pulled off 45 degree kicks into the corridor to open it up fir us but alas he doesn’t…he does dinky little 15m kicks along boundary line

“Yeah….nah””
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

If Jack wanted out but is still contracted what is the asking price ? I'm not saying he wants out but if he did what would you take .? I would not take anything less than a 1st rounder . I know that is probably not going to happen so we keep him IMO

Moods
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Sun 31 Jul 2022 11:44pm If Jack wanted out but is still contracted what is the asking price ? I'm not saying he wants out but if he did what would you take .? I would not take anything less than a 1st rounder . I know that is probably not going to happen so we keep him IMO
Look, the reality is that we have to keep him now. He's too old and proven that any match winning qualities waned years ago. Fingers crossed he can become a match winner of some description in his last 4-5 years at the club. I am more than happy to be embarrassed by these posts in the future. 8-)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Billings is 27 not 37

Killa
Club Player

The question is how much better a side would we be with 2 genuine KPP defenders, so Howard and one other spreading Wilkie and Battle with their intercept abilities?

Instead of playing flanker sized players in KPP roles.

The same in attack with King.

And support for Marshall post Ryder.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Mon 01 Aug 2022 5:28pm The question is how much better a side would we be with 2 genuine KPP defenders, so Howard and one other spreading Wilkie and Battle with their intercept abilities?

Instead of playing flanker sized players in KPP roles.

The same in attack with King.

And support for Marshall post Ryder.
Fair questions. We’re definitely undersized. Membery should be a 3rd tall fwd and Wilkie should be our intercepting back. Having said that, tiges win the 2017 flag with one tall fwd ( who was smaller than King) and rance holding up the back end. Grimes is no giant.

It can be done., we just need some imagination

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

fair questions....

But what are they doing here in this thread

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

😆

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.