Paddy McCartin a Swan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

Re: Paddy McCartin a Swan

saynta wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 1:05pm
CURLY wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 8:38am
lewdogs wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 9:28pm I remember meeting someone that billeted St Kilda players and had lovely things to say about all of them but according to them Paddy was an absolute tool of the highest order, extremely arrogant and ungrateful.

Unfortunately he also loved to smash beers and thought he could act like Plugger in the 90s.

I have no doubt that the head collisions have been a huge learning curve for him as a person and he will be much more mature and disciplined now. But the fact that we selected him because of his supposed outstanding character speaks volumes of the idiots we had working for us at the time.

As for his time at th swans I hope it works out for him because he has been through hell and deserves a bit of good luck.
Absolute garbage. Paddy has not worked out but none of what you said is true.
Yep. Sounded like bulls*** to me too. Not a bit like Paddy.
Some family friends of ours are related to the Brownless clan. I do not know Paddy personally but have met Him a couple of times and seen him at family gatherings.

I found him to be humble, polite and seemed a genuinely decent young guy. Never saw him smash beers or act arrogantly.

FWIW concussion or not, I didn’t think Paddy was going to be anything better than a C grade player, slow, unfit, no endurance, one dimensional and I was shattered when we took him over Petracca so I am no fan of him as a player.

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He was always too fat when he played for us and therefore too slow. He didn't have a leap like Nick and therefore too short. He got few possessions and could not properly show his skills. On the backline, where teams have spare men, he can run off and be by himself. In the game the Swans played in the Community round, he did this and kicked well to teammates. However, he avoided packs. That will be the test.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 2:27pm …. in the Community round, …..he avoided packs. That will be the test.
Ya think “bro code” among players, I mean opposition, might protect him a little.

Or umps will be ‘kind’..

Would be a quite a call for a coach, or forward assistant coach, to give his forwards ‘the OK’ to freshen him up with a few accidental knocks.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

I’ve heard that every single person that lives in Geelong or has ever lived in Geelong is an alcoholic

Oh boy…they love their ‘frothies’ down in hillbilly town!

Dr Spaceman is it true?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

The ugly duckling, #1 hatchling, is unable to endure a life of solitude and hardship any more and decides to throw himself at the flock of swans... He is shocked when the swans welcome and accept him, only to realize by looking at his reflection that he had not been a Saint, but a swan all this time.

Conversely, Tim M was not really a Swan but a Saint all along, hence a Cinderella story.

Whereas, once upon a time, Hannebery, the Swan who was not hatched but bought at the market many many years ago - may be likened to the frog prince under an evil spell (long, injury related) ; our fitness guys could possibly try kissing him. Seems everything else has been tried.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 7:01pm The ugly duckling, #1 hatchling, is unable to endure a life of solitude and hardship any more and decides to throw himself at the flock of swans... He is shocked when the swans welcome and accept him, only to realize by looking at his reflection that he had not been a Saint, but a swan all this time.

Conversely, Tim M was not really a Swan but a Saint all along, hence a Cinderella story.

Whereas, once upon a time, Hannebery, the Swan who was not hatched but bought at the market many many years ago - may be likened to the frog prince under an evil spell (long, injury related) ; our fitness guys could possibly try kissing him. Seems everything else has been tried.
That's the good stuff right there!

damienc
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 8:07am
spert wrote: Tue 15 Mar 2022 7:45am
Vortex wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 10:42pm Apparently he's playing in the baclline which is a really smart gamble. Totally change the way he attacks the ball.
One more head knock and that will probably be it for his career. Paddy should have given it away instead of exposing himself to incurable brain damage.
Possibly but it's obviously a risk of his own personal choice and the Swans seem to be ok with that. It's a win-win for both parties because at the end of the day he's still a number 1 draft pick the Swans have picked up for next to nothing and Paddy gets another opportunity at AFL.

What's not to love about this story.
Everything.

Concussion is an extremely serious potentially life changing injury.

I find it extraordinary that so many on this forum are so flippant.

We made the right decision cutting Paddy. The Swans made the wrong decision recruiting him.

What I also find extraordinary is the total lack of self awareness by those who think this is good.

The Saints just opened a wellness centre in honour of a man who died in no small part due to repeated concussions.

Similarly, Shane Tuck took his own life because of repeated concussions.

No, I don't wish Paddy McCartin well. He's playing Russian roulette with his health.

Think about it. Eight concussions. The last one, from a mild bump, caused him to literally lose a year of his life.

Insane.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 9:50am
Vortex wrote: Mon 14 Mar 2022 10:42pm Apparently he's playing in the baclline which is a really smart gamble. Totally change the way he attacks the ball.
One more head knock and that will probably be it for his career. Paddy should have given it away instead of exposing himself to incurable brain damage.
Possibly but it's obviously a risk of his own personal choice and the Swans seem to be ok with that. It's a win-win for both parties because at the end of the day he's still a number 1 draft pick the Swans have picked up for next to nothing and Paddy gets another opportunity at AFL.

Everything.

We made the right decision cutting Paddy. The Swans made the wrong decision recruiting him.

What I also find extraordinary is the total lack of self awareness by those who think this is good.

The Saints just opened a wellness centre in honour of a man who died in no small part due to repeated concussions.

No, I don't wish Paddy McCartin well. He's playing Russian roulette with his health.

Think about it. Eight concussions. The last one, from a mild bump, caused him to literally lose a year of his life.

Insane.
You make several good points but in the end it is a decision for Paddy, the Swans and the AFL to make.

damienc
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 9:56am

Everything.

Insane.
You make several good points but in the end it is a decision for Paddy, the Swans and the AFL to make.
Yes It is.

And I totally understand Paddy wanting to play footy.

His concussion weakness is a cruel and difficult cross to carry, especially when you clearly love the game.

But there is also something called duty of care.

Paddy owes it to himself and if he can't see or appreciate that obligation, then the Swans and the AFL must do it for him.

It is not just a moral or ethical issue.

Duty of care, is also an important legal concept.

Concussion is a civil class action waiting to happen.

This could end up being a very expensive lesson for all.

In more ways than one.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 10:09am
saynta wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 9:56am

Everything.

Insane.
Yes It is.

And I totally understand Paddy wanting to play footy.

His concussion weakness is a cruel and difficult cross to carry, especially when you clearly love the game.

But there is also something called duty of care.

Paddy owes it to himself and if he can't see or appreciate that obligation, then the Swans and the AFL must do it for him.

It is not just a moral or ethical issue.

Duty of care, is also an important legal concept.

Concussion is a civil class action waiting to happen.

This could end up being a very expensive lesson for all.

In more ways than one.
And they have all made their decision. You may not agree with it but it is not your life to live.

Voluntary assumption of risk is another important legal concept.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

It’s like saying motorbike helmets should be non-mandatory.
Surely, it’s a personal choice?

I believe that 1972 you could ride a motorbike without one legally.

Mid - 90s, bicycle helmets.

Aussie footy..?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

We overlooked the reigning Norm Smith medallist and the guy we picked instead of him is now playing for the club who continues to butt rape us at any chance they get. So bloody typical! 🤮

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Everything.

Insane.
Probably time you stopped following the code then Damo.

If you think Paddy is the only player taking similar risk after experiencing multiple concussion then you are kidding yourself.

It's a risk kids for generations will continue to take and the AFL and clubs will continue to give you the illusion that concussion isn't part of the game and they are doing everything they can to eradicated from the game.

As long as the legal and financial impacts are de risked to an adequate corporate level then AFL as a contact sports will survive and serious concussion will remain part of the game.

Exit exhibit A - Paddy Mac.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Should a young man with a long history of brain injuries be trusted to make the 'right' decision?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 12:55pm Should a young man with a long history of brain injuries be trusted to make the 'right' decision?
Doctors have signed off on it. I’m assuming they were unaffected by brain injuries.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
damienc
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 1:07pm
The_Dud wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 12:55pm Should a young man with a long history of brain injuries be trusted to make the 'right' decision?
Doctors have signed off on it. I’m assuming they were unaffected by brain injuries.
Not sure you are right about that if they did sign off on it.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gee that pretracca bloke looks ok

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 8:18pm Gee that pretracca bloke looks ok
Was just thinking the same
Can you imagine Petracca alongside Steele out of the middle to hit up King?
Elshaugh ought to shot - what a complete c**k up up there with the best no 1 c**k ups of all time ….guy had to be a plant ….
Couldn’t care less about McCartin plays for Swans as a gop defender

“Yeah….nah””
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 8:20pm
Elshaugh ought to shot - what a complete c**k up up there with the best no 1 c**k ups of all time ….guy had to be a plant ….
Will come back to haunt us for years to come

saintkid
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 8:38pm
Teflon wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 8:20pm
Will come back to haunt us for years to come
We were saying it from the beginning about Petracca and some here were regularly making out that he was a bust and over-rated!
Anyone with an ounce of footy smarts could tell he was going to be special. He had the ideal size and powerhouse build to match his footy talent. Now it's all come to fruition and will continue for a while to come. He's a superstar and so is Bontempelli.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Not picking Petracca was a colossal f.uck up of the highest order.

I read an interesting theory on here or somewhere else. Can’t remember.

It went like this, if we got Petracca, we may not have got Max King because we would have been a better team and finished in a slightly higher ladder position.

It was a plausible theory though obviously impossible to prove and before anyone knocks me, I’m just trying to make us all feel a little better.

:)

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 8:07pm
Was Brayshaw from Melbourne told he should give the game away after multiple serious concussions?

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 9:50pm Not picking Petracca was a colossal f.uck up of the highest order.

I read an interesting theory on here or somewhere else. Can’t remember.

It went like this, if we got Petracca, we may not have got Max King because we would have been a better team and finished in a slightly higher ladder position.

It was a plausible theory though obviously impossible to prove and before anyone knocks me, I’m just trying to make us all feel a little better.

:)
We’ll only feel better when we get a chance to play off in a Grand Final

Better decisions were required at the end of 2018 to strengthen our midfield so we could compete with the current contenders. We still may have got King too. If Finnis didn’t extend Richo’s contract perhaps a lot would have changed because (let’s not forget…it was) Cho and co. who agreed to bring in Hannebery

Lethlean getting together with his mate (which is Hannas old man) and hatching a plan to extend Dan’s career on ridiculous coin and a retirement nest egg may indeed haunt us as much as the Petracca/McCartin decision.

If Lethers doesn’t deliver by 2024. Then he needs to hand in his Saints polo like Matt Finnis

damienc
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 10:13pm
Was Brayshaw from Melbourne told he should give the game away after multiple serious concussions?
Yes. And Danny Frawley kept playing and Shane Tuck kept playing after multiple serious concussions.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 17 Mar 2022 7:44am
Vortex wrote: Wed 16 Mar 2022 10:13pm
Yes. And Danny Frawley kept playing and Shane Tuck kept playing after multiple serious concussions.
With the rate they are learning about the effects of brain injuries, concussion, CTE etc light years ahead of where they were 10 years ago and 10 years before that, imagine where we will be in 10 years from now.

Not too long ago doctors were signing of players coming back on during games who then couldn't remember playing that week at all.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.