Grant Thomas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Grant Thomas

SaintPav wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 10:53pm
B.M wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 10:03pmRock or Barker
I'm pretty sure both of them were appointed by Ross.
I’m pretty sure this guy knew abs has worked with Thomas previously.

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I would like to see GT and Ross-the-Boss play a game of badminton…a fair dinking game, with a new Toyota Corolla at stake.

Both in my top three coaches of St Kilda in my life time. With Mr. Yabby.

You have been blessed with my existence since 1963.

Of course, I’m sure Tony Jewel was a good coach too..look what happened. And perhaps even Blighty?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 11:48pm After 2004-2006, that list was spent. The valid question IMO is what would a GT reload look like.

Given the core of the list that challenged in 09-11 was there in 06... it’s fair to say that a GT led team would have at least played finals and gone deep.

Id have liked to have seen what he learned, would he have adapted and what that would have looked like.

Think he deserved that opportunity
The game was changing and I think we needed a coaching change if we were going to evolve as a football team.

The entire process, which included Grant’s appointment and his sacking was very questionable and involved too much of a conflict of interest. It looked very unprofessional and the whole thing was open to corruption. At best, it just wasn't a great look.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 12:47am
skeptic wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 11:48pm After 2004-2006, that list was spent. The valid question IMO is what would a GT reload look like.

Given the core of the list that challenged in 09-11 was there in 06... it’s fair to say that a GT led team would have at least played finals and gone deep.

Id have liked to have seen what he learned, would he have adapted and what that would have looked like.

The game was changing and I think we needed a coaching change if we were going to evolve as a football team.

The entire process, which included Grant’s appointment and his sacking was very questionable and involved too much of a conflict of interest. It looked very unprofessional and the whole thing was open to corruption. At best, it just wasn't a great look.
+1

Yes, footy departments do evolve. An extra assistant coach and support staff is what Thommo needed

People like Balme have made a difference at several clubs and they have won flags

The debate will continue and there is no right or wrong opinion re Lyon vs Thomas

The simpletons will keep telling me that Lyon was a better coach because he got us closer than Grant.

They like to keep things simple so that it doesn't hurt their brain too much :mrgreen:

Vazelos
Club Player

supersaints2 wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 10:11pm Whatever opinion you have about GT he is likely the of the most loyal Saints ever.
I was told back on those days by some people who were more than ITK...
He broke Barkers nose after finding TB in a very compromising position with GT,s then Fiancée on a bench press in St Kilda gym.
GT was given his marching orders and traded to North Melbourne (At the time if I recall ..he was state rep CHB and a very decent player ).
It was reported by the club that TB broke his nose in a cricket match .
GT was a very, very family guy with morals that would outstrip most people ...He told Butters on numerous occasions , he would tell Butters wife about the current affair he was having unless he stopped it.. Hence the fall out ... I never was told anything about the money loans ( but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen)
It would not surprise me in the slightest that GT May look to help out the club..
Are you working for his PR team?

I met him a few times very engaging and charismatic he listens he has excellent people skills but a football club requires a lot of discipline and integrity and a character to serve as part of a team..
He was excellent in his non football role he was best served in that area.
His ability to think outside the square create a narrative to attract good people was top class but he wanted the glory and glamour of head coach where he wasn’t the best candidate in the market but he manipulated Butteress who was a tech geek and created this bull s*** interview process got the job over spent on boys trips away to South Africa and London instead of investing that in the medical department .
He also smashed the umpires that got them against us for years because he can’t shut his mouth and then left us in a mess with his internal fighting with Butteress.
He borrowed money and didn’t pay it back in time.
He also sued the club for superannuation.

Then he goes on TV and smashed us on the footy classifieds for three years so much that Nathan Burke had to reach out to stop him bombing us every week!!

I could say plenty more.
This stuff about Barker I have never heard why don’t you ask Michael Roberts about his loyalty to mates before bringing up stories of a late great Saints legend whose name is synonymous with Loyalty and self sacrifice.

He helped set up that amazing 00s list and influenced the waste of that era and is a major reason we didn’t win flags at that time.
It’s all about Thomas an alpha male ego his brilliance could have made us a great club again if he stayed in his initial role.
I will never see him as a loyal Sainter.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Why shouldn't someone fight for their entitlements? His family comes before any footy club.

Did Lyon stay loyal to the club that gave him his first opportunity as a senior coach?

Did Rooy hand back some of his salary or volunteer to take a pay cut to keep Goddard?

Was Richo a loyal Sainter because he stayed in his role in 2019 instead of falling on his sword at the end of 2018 and perhaps giving us clean air and a chance to recruit some decent free agents?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Teflon, it's hard to know if Roo was brainwashed by GT or Ross. According to fact that Roo is not a Rhodes Scholar, as pointed out, it must have been GT. Thankfully he put the koolaid down and was empowered to think for himself. Hence his opinion carries some weight.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 2:04am

+1

Yes, footy departments do evolve. An extra assistant coach and support staff is what Thommo needed

People like Balme have made a difference at several clubs and they have won flags

The debate will continue and there is no right or wrong opinion re Lyon vs Thomas

The simpletons will keep telling me that Lyon was a better coach because he got us closer than Grant.

They like to keep things simple so that it doesn't hurt their brain too much :mrgreen:
Us simpletons may measure results like that whilst other simpletons will try to convince us that not making Grand Finals is an even better result. 🤔😉

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I keep saying it

Our best teams have made finals.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 9:53pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 7:22pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 2:13pm
saynta wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 1:06pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 12:44pm Matt Rendell said that sacking Grant Thomas cost St Kilda 3 premierships. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Me too. and for the record, Rendell was closer to the action than any of us and knew far more.
Absolute rubbish
I have spoken DIRECTLY to one of “GTs” previous assistants (who Lyon sacked btw)
His words ring in my ears “Grant Thomas farked your club”
You can ignore ...suggest I made it up cause it does t suit your agenda but this person was there in the box with Thomas during those years
Oh by the way ....he didn’t like Ross Lyon but said he’s the most meticulous coach re game day and planning he’s ever seen....strategy wise none were better and that’s why Lyon changed the way the game was played in 09 and why Malthouse and Pies copied him a year later
As Riewoldt recently said on Fox.....if Carlton get Lyon ....knowing they leak goals on transition..,,they won’t even be starts
Smart play by Lyon too .....Carlton have a talented list ...
BTW GT is never even mentioned (except here by his disciples) for his coaching prowess
Funny about that, Teflon. Disgruntled employees usually don't have anything nice to say about you, particularly after you have sacked them. I'm pretty sure it was either Mick McGuanne or Terry Daniher that you are referring to.

Grant did some good things. He made a lot of mistakes too. But would have Chris Connolly been any better?
So I’ll try abs type slower ...
Nothing to do with McGuane or Daniher
The guy was a GT assistant SACKED by Ross Lyon (ought to narrow the field..)
And still felt Lyon was a superb coach abs Thomas was destroying the club
I don’t think any of that aligns with your disgruntled theory
And you have the hide to accuse me of posting made up stories. :roll: :roll: :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 8:53am
supersaints2 wrote: Fri 20 Aug 2021 10:11pm Whatever opinion you have about GT he is likely the of the most loyal Saints ever.
He broke Barkers nose after finding TB in a very compromising position with GT,s then Fiancée on a bench press in St Kilda gym.
GT was given his marching orders and traded to North Melbourne (At the time if I recall ..he was state rep CHB and a very decent player ).
GT was a very, very family guy with morals that would outstrip most people ...He told Butters on numerous occasions , he would tell Butters wife about the current affair he was having unless he stopped it.. Hence the fall out ... I never was told anything about the money loans ( but that doesn’t mean it didn’t happen)
It would not surprise me in the slightest that GT May look to help out the club..

I met him a few times very engaging and charismatic he listens he has excellent people skills but a football club requires a lot of discipline and integrity and a character to serve as part of a team..
His ability to think outside the square create a narrative to attract good people was top class but he wanted the glory and glamour of head coach where he wasn’t the best candidate in the market but he manipulated Butteress who was a tech geek and created this bull s*** interview process got the job over spent on boys trips away to South Africa and London instead of investing that in the medical department .
He also smashed the umpires that got them against us for years because he can’t shut his mouth and then left us in a mess with his internal fighting with Butteress.

Then he goes on TV and smashed us on the footy classifieds for three years so much that Nathan Burke had to reach out to stop him bombing us every week!!

I could say plenty more.
This stuff about Barker I have never heard why don’t you ask Michael Roberts about his loyalty to mates before bringing up stories of a late great Saints legend whose name is synonymous with Loyalty and self sacrifice.

He helped set up that amazing 00s list and influenced the waste of that era and is a major reason we didn’t win flags at that time.
It’s all about Thomas an alpha male ego his brilliance could have made us a great club again if he stayed in his initial role.
Go and ask Michael Nettlefold why the Saints shipped him off to Richmond.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Haven't visited the forum for a couple of days - bloody amazing how the topic of GT (and RL) gets so many people wound up, wouldn't have thought either are worthy of revisiting their flawed history with the Saints.

Maybe it says something about the mentality of a St Kilda supporter to rake over cold coals or micro-analyse the exhumed carcases of all the lost opportunities - guess it'd be a different story if we had more than one trophy in the cabinet....

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The story was about Grant pocketing a substantial amount of money, nothing to do with coaching.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Grant Thomas raised expectations….(thats an understatement) ..for players and fans…we thought a completely new way..in a way we never thought conceivable…should be enough to say that.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 2:04am

+1

And the sycophants will continue to trot out that Grant was the “leader of men young boys needed”
It helps them sleep at night (with the light on ofcourse :wink: )

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 11:59am
Teflon wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 9:53pm
SaintPav wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 7:22pm
Teflon wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 2:13pm
saynta wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 1:06pm
cwrcyn wrote: Sat 21 Aug 2021 12:44pm Matt Rendell said that sacking Grant Thomas cost St Kilda 3 premierships. I'm inclined to agree with him.

Me too. and for the record, Rendell was closer to the action than any of us and knew far more.
Absolute rubbish
I have spoken DIRECTLY to one of “GTs” previous assistants (who Lyon sacked btw)
His words ring in my ears “Grant Thomas farked your club”
You can ignore ...suggest I made it up cause it does t suit your agenda but this person was there in the box with Thomas during those years
Oh by the way ....he didn’t like Ross Lyon but said he’s the most meticulous coach re game day and planning he’s ever seen....strategy wise none were better and that’s why Lyon changed the way the game was played in 09 and why Malthouse and Pies copied him a year later
As Riewoldt recently said on Fox.....if Carlton get Lyon ....knowing they leak goals on transition..,,they won’t even be starts
Smart play by Lyon too .....Carlton have a talented list ...
BTW GT is never even mentioned (except here by his disciples) for his coaching prowess
Funny about that, Teflon. Disgruntled employees usually don't have anything nice to say about you, particularly after you have sacked them. I'm pretty sure it was either Mick McGuanne or Terry Daniher that you are referring to.

Grant did some good things. He made a lot of mistakes too. But would have Chris Connolly been any better?
So I’ll try abs type slower ...
Nothing to do with McGuane or Daniher
The guy was a GT assistant SACKED by Ross Lyon (ought to narrow the field..)
And still felt Lyon was a superb coach abs Thomas was destroying the club
I don’t think any of that aligns with your disgruntled theory
And you have the hide to accuse me of posting made up stories. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Press play on the video grandad you might not like what Nick has to say....

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:17pm Grant Thomas raised expectations….(thats an understatement) ..for players and fans…we thought a completely new way..in a way we never thought conceivable…should be enough to say that.
Lots of coaches raise expectations...that’s their job
Delivering on them is what counts the rest is spin
I give Grant 11/10 for corporate spin...and plenty here drank it down ...
Lyon spun too and ultimately didn’t get us to the holy grail ...but I’ll take our teams dominance under him and 2 GF appearances anyway over “The Streak” video of 10 games...lol

“Yeah….nah””
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Did GT release ‘the streak’ video?

Not sure it would’ve been his idea… clubs have marketing departments that do s*** like that.

Ross took a strong core group to a couple of GFs
GT took a combination of experience and youth to two Prelims

Both had some success

Neither ultimate success

I will say this though
GT was worse hit by injury at the wrong time

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

"I will say this though
GT was worse hit by injury at the wrong time"

Let's not let those little evidence based facts get in the way of the debate.

Before Lyon had achieved the ultimate glory (even before he left the Saints) his best mates in the media were creating a theme to build Lyons stature but he hadn't earned shyte. Anyone can pick up prelim finalists and get close again

I hope Lyon gets the Carlton job. They deserve him and he deserves them. Lyon couldn't give a rats arse if Carlton aren't successful, and he'll be laughing all the way.

I'll bet both my balls and also... Vortex's spare nut that the myths will finally be put to rest if he does get the job (you said you didn't need them Vortex)

supersaints2
Club Player

I could say plenty more.

No .. I have never worked in PR on anyone’s team ... I’m not trying to say he is beyond repute ... far from it ... He (at least used to ) hold others in disregard around fidelity ...
Haven’t personally seen or spoken to him since his coaching days ...
I’m neither a supporter or non supporter

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
supersaints2
Club Player

I could say plenty more.

No .. I have never worked in PR on anyone’s team ... I’m not trying to say he is beyond repute ... far from it ... He (at least used to ) hold others in disregard around fidelity ...
Haven’t personally seen or spoken to him since his coaching days ...
I’m neither a supporter or non supporter

I used to be supersaints but after 16 years my profile dissapeared... ??? if I make any reference to past posts .. it will be under supersiants.. glad to be back on line
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:39pm Did GT release ‘the streak’ video?

Not sure it would’ve been his idea… clubs have marketing departments that do s*** like that.

Ross took a strong core group to a couple of GFs
GT took a combination of experience and youth to two Prelims

Both had some success

Neither ultimate success

I will say this though
GT was worse hit by injury at the wrong time
Ross invested in Misson? at the time???? Understood the importance of strong conditioning support
GT spent 300k taking the club to Sth Africa to “round out young men”
Delusional

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 10:14pm "I will say this though
GT was worse hit by injury at the wrong time"

Let's not let those little evidence based facts get in the way of the debate.

Before Lyon had achieved the ultimate glory (even before he left the Saints) his best mates in the media were creating a theme to build Lyons stature but he hadn't earned shyte. Anyone can pick up prelim finalists and get close again

I hope Lyon gets the Carlton job. They deserve him and he deserves them. Lyon couldn't give a rats arse if Carlton aren't successful, and he'll be laughing all the way.

I'll bet both my balls and also... Vortex's spare nut that the myths will finally be put to rest if he does get the job (you said you didn't need them Vortex)
Fact checked : No balls on this post found.

“Yeah….nah””
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:26pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:17pm Grant Thomas raised expectations….(thats an understatement) ..for players and fans…we thought a completely new way..in a way we never thought conceivable…should be enough to say that.
Lyon spun too and ultimately didn’t get us to the holy grail ...but I’ll take our teams dominance under him and 2 GF appearances anyway over “The Streak” video of 10 games...lol
Nope.
Not for me.
Doesn’t reflect the impact he made at all.
He wasn’t an ‘alsoran’. He was an exception. The ‘sycophant’ reference is suggests something rather dodgy, which as far as I know is totally unjust.

He made a huge impact on the players. I remember Andrew Thomson telling reporters, when they were trying to bey him into suggesting a coup was in the cards (which it was, and he was ultimately part of). He was like, ‘Are you kidding, GT was huge for us”.

Now we all have our own catalogue of cringeworthy GT anecdotes, of him hanging around too long, after his own funeral, or secretly having a beer with Nick R on the terrace or whatever, but it means nought.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 11:40pm
Teflon wrote: Sun 22 Aug 2021 9:26pm
Nope.
Not for me.
Doesn’t reflect the impact he made at all.
He wasn’t an ‘alsoran’. He was an exception. The ‘sycophant’ reference is suggests something rather dodgy, which as far as I know is totally unjust.

He made a huge impact on the players. I remember Andrew Thomson telling reporters, when they were trying to bey him into suggesting a coup was in the cards (which it was, and he was ultimately part of). He was like, ‘Are you kidding, GT was huge for us”.

Now we all have our own catalogue of cringeworthy GT anecdotes, of him hanging around too long, after his own funeral, or secretly having a beer with Nick R on the terrace or whatever, but it means nought.
The guy abused his position to out stay his welcome with an up and coming star studded list that needed a genuine AFL coach ....not done muppet who preached corporate KPIs and who tried to “exit Rob Harvey in..”
Sorry but I’ve seen those types very often and don’t get me wrong- as a caretaker after the Blight fiasco he was the right guy....for a season...not 5
Stan Alves raised expectations and again at least got us into the big dance
I truly wonder what that side with Gehrig, Hamil, Harvey, Thompson , Peckett, Riewoldt, Hayes , Hudgton , Jones, Powell, Ball, Kosi, Maguire, Milne could’ve achieved with a really astute match day coach

“Yeah….nah””