This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sign up Dunstan ASAP!!!

Won't be with us next year. Second round pick beckons?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I can't blame underappreciated players like Hinds, Dunstan etc... from wanting to look elsewhere, and applaud them when they take their games to new levels (elsewhere).

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

I had high hopes for Luke when he was drafted and given Lenny's jumper. IIRC he was right from the get go chucked in to being a primary bullocking mid. No genuine apprenticeship under a similar styled mentor. Expectations were high.
Perhaps he suffered in his early years from being chucked in the deep end and maybe he's only just learnt to swim. Maybe Richo's poor player development also played a part.
Whatever the reasons, his performances have been at best inconsistent and up until recently he's rarely been a player who's been genuinely influential.
No idea if he's pissed off or not. If yes he's not really got any right to be based on his output and disposal over the years. Hopefully he's not pissed off and is looking to really deliver on his potential as a player and leader in RW&B. Was a S.A junior captain I think so leadership is there.
I hope he stays and continues at his current level. Great combo with Steele and Crouch.

Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 10:46am I think he is gone, if another club offers him more than one year he would be mad not to take it. It has been very clear he is not part of future plans and it makes complete sense he is playing for his career. The crapy thing is, he's been given so much opportunity after being in the system for 8 years and it's a common tale for a player to have a complete attitude adjustment after being told you are no longer wanted. It's sad and unfortunate but I'm guessing he and the club have reached a point of no return and we should just accept his good performances while they last. Personally I don't think he can sustain his current form, 100 odd games is a very large sample size and that's what I'd be basing my decisssions on if I was a list manager.

Let's hope Bytel can develop quickly in 2022.
How do you and others on this forum really know that Dunstan has been informed he is not part of future plans - what is your source for this assertion other than an unsourced report by Foxtel spinner Tom Morris and unverified scuttlebutt by so-called ITK posters on this forum. Just like Caroline Wilson stirring the pot when she published a story from an unnamed source at the club about players/officials being upset about Ross and Membrey going home to their families and missing the trip to Cairns a few weeks ago - bloody mischievous poppycock!!

As for list management decisions, we're all first class experts with 20/20 hindsight, and St Kilda is far from the only club to pass on a novice recruit that turns out to be a superstar......how many clubs passed on James Hird when he was taken at pick 79 by Essendon in the 1990 draft!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 2:26pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 10:46am I think he is gone, if another club offers him more than one year he would be mad not to take it. It has been very clear he is not part of future plans and it makes complete sense he is playing for his career. The crapy thing is, he's been given so much opportunity after being in the system for 8 years and it's a common tale for a player to have a complete attitude adjustment after being told you are no longer wanted. It's sad and unfortunate but I'm guessing he and the club have reached a point of no return and we should just accept his good performances while they last. Personally I don't think he can sustain his current form, 100 odd games is a very large sample size and that's what I'd be basing my decisssions on if I was a list manager.

How do you and others on this forum really know that Dunstan has been informed he is not part of future plans - what is your source for this assertion other than an unsourced report by Foxtel spinner Tom Morris and unverified scuttlebutt by so-called ITK posters on this forum. Just like Caroline Wilson stirring the pot when she published a story from an unnamed source at the club about players/officials being upset about Ross and Membrey going home to their families and missing the trip to Cairns a few weeks ago - bloody mischievous poppycock!!

As for list management decisions, we're all first class experts with 20/20 hindsight, and St Kilda is far from the only club to pass on a novice recruit that turns out to be a superstar......how many clubs passed on James Hird when he was taken at pick 79 by Essendon in the 1990 draft!
Now there's 3 words we should see more of in posts, "bloody mischievous poppycock". Love it Sanctorum!

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 2:26pm

As for list management decisions, we're all first class experts with 20/20 hindsight, and St Kilda is far from the only club to pass on a novice recruit that turns out to be a superstar, how many clubs passed on James Hird when he was taken at pick 79 by Essendon in the 1990 draft!
Good afernoon Sanctorum, I must admit you've caught me out because without 20/20 hindsight I wouldn't be the first class expert I clearly am. And not to make to big a deal of it though I did start off with saying "I think".

But we digres and I have a question that I'd be genuinely interested to know your thoughts on, do you think Dunn'y current form is sustainable, possible for the duration of another multi year deal, say 2 to 3 years?

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It took him 6 years to develop the tank to play AFL. Had some dietary issues that had to be fixed up (gluten intolerance, methinks) and every time he looked like getting on top of his game he got injured. Was on the nose with Ratten after round one last year. I suspect it was about his disposal inefficiency. It would not surprise me if Dunstan had given up on his future at St Kilda last year, and when he was offered up for trade at the end of last year, not one club was interested.

This is the first time I can recall him getting high disposal levels for five or six consecutive games. He was always 20 disposals one week and then 15 for the next two weeks, just looking like a bit-part player, struggling to get from contest to contest. Sometimes players think they're pushing themselves but when they go harder they realise they weren't previously. Some guys understand that in their second or third year. For some, the realisation takes longer.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

This is where Bytel finds himself at the moment. He needs to push himself like he never has before. Without that drive to get supremely fit, he'll never be able to get from contest to contest. David Armitage was a prime example. Not blessed with a big tank, it took him four years of scratching around the edges before getting himself super fit. It transformed him as a player.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 4:23pm It took him 6 years to develop the tank to play AFL. Had some dietary issues that had to be fixed up (gluten intolerance, methinks) and every time he looked like getting on top of his game he got injured. Was on the nose with Ratten after round one last year. I suspect it was about his disposal inefficiency. It would not surprise me if Dunstan had given up on his future at St Kilda last year, and when he was offered up for trade at the end of last year, not one club was interested.

This is the first time I can recall him getting high disposal levels for five or six consecutive games. He was always 20 disposals one week and then 15 for the next two weeks, just looking like a bit-part player, struggling to get from contest to contest. Sometimes players think they're pushing themselves but when they go harder they realise they weren't previously. Some guys understand that in their second or third year. For some, the realisation takes longer.
Yes same also that I can recall him getting 25 plus or 30 disposals consistently. That's a big upgrade from the mid-teens and occasional low 20's that were his usual standard. If he can maintain current form he becomes a genuinely valuable mid.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Career average disposals 20.05.
This year average 25.3
Career average tackles 4.83
This year 6.83
Clearances up by 2 per game
Inside 50's up from 3.1 to 5.5

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... nstan.html

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Well if he goes we have Bytel & Gresh to come back in

As compensation who knows ..... likely a 2nd rounder if he does move on

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

cwrcyn wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 12:42pm Won't be with us next year. Second round pick beckons?
Great idea! We could recruit an 18 year old mid-fielder!

With homesickness or a dodgy knee. :roll:

Saint supporter since '62
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bytel is still 2-3 off peak
Dunstan has shown what he’s capable of abs if you paid for that in the free market via FA you’d pay 550-6 easy
Yes it’s not 100 games buts it’s a very high standard
Du Stan also has to realise.....some other mids and 2 very good rucks are helping his cause....he won’t get that at Carlton

“Yeah….nah””
Sanctorum
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 3:00pm
Good afernoon Sanctorum, I must admit you've caught me out because without 20/20 hindsight I wouldn't be the first class expert I clearly am. And not to make to big a deal of it though I did start off with saying "I think".

But we digres and I have a question that I'd be genuinely interested to know your thoughts on, do you think Dunn'y current form is sustainable, possible for the duration of another multi year deal, say 2 to 3 years?
And Good Day to you Vortex, look, I honestly don't know because this is the first time that Luke Dunstan has hit such a purple patch, and it has taken him 8 years to do it - I've said earlier that his future at St Kilda will very much depend on his ability to maintain this form in the next 6 games.

He is certainly not short of incentive because if he does continue playing well it will boost his asking price considerably.

It will then be a matter of the club deciding if they want to retain him at age 27 in 2023 or let him go and put further investment into Jack Bytel who at 22 is a similar player to Dunstan but maybe with more upside.

If Dunstan is lured away to another club, as an RFA, then the club may be in a position to get a compensation pick from the AFL which I imagine should be at worst a 2nd rounder, which could well be persuasive as currently St Kilda is very short of early draft picks.

If I was in the List Manager's shoes I'd be inclined to opt for youth because St Kilda does not have much of that demographic waiting in the wings and from all reports the 2021 NAB draft has a lot of quality beyond the first round.

It'll be interesting to see how all this will eventually pan out.......

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

Sanctorum wrote: Tue 13 Jul 2021 12:01pm
Vortex wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 3:00pm

And Good Day to you Vortex, look, I honestly don't know because this is the first time that Luke Dunstan has hit such a purple patch, and it has taken him 8 years to do it - I've said earlier that his future at St Kilda will very much depend on his ability to maintain this form in the next 6 games.

He is certainly not short of incentive because if he does continue playing well it will boost his asking price considerably.

It will then be a matter of the club deciding if they want to retain him at age 27 in 2023 or let him go and put further investment into Jack Bytel who at 22 is a similar player to Dunstan but maybe with more upside.

If Dunstan is lured away to another club, as an RFA, then the club may be in a position to get a compensation pick from the AFL which I imagine should be at worst a 2nd rounder, which could well be persuasive as currently St Kilda is very short of early draft picks.

If I was in the List Manager's shoes I'd be inclined to opt for youth because St Kilda does not have much of that demographic waiting in the wings and from all reports the 2021 NAB draft has a lot of quality beyond the first round.

It'll be interesting to see how all this will eventually pan out.......
I thought he was an UFA not a RFA but I could be wrong.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Today at 9:37 AM
#5,136
A bit of mail but you can take it with a grain of salt is that the tigers are all over Dunstan like a rash atm.

Makes sence to me with cotchin falling to peices and Martin playing fwd more and it literally costs them nothing but $$$.

“Yeah….nah””
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Mon 12 Jul 2021 5:12pm Career average disposals 20.05.
This year average 25.3
Career average tackles 4.83
This year 6.83
Clearances up by 2 per game
Inside 50's up from 3.1 to 5.5

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players ... nstan.html
I think there is a fairer comparison which is a little more informed in regards to Dunstans career and his current form.

Career Ave Di 20.5 Tk 4.8 Cl 3.1
2022 25.3 6.8 5.5
Last 55 games 23.3 5.2 5.2

Dunstan is not a notable match winner but currently he is definitely a major influence in this teams ability to win.

He is not quick and is known as an in and under, clearance bull. But recently, after entering what should be his prime with arguably the best company he has played with, he is shining in most facets of his game.

Dunstan has sacrificed his body for this club since day 1, quite often playing through soft tissue injuries, soreness and ultimately succumbing to niggling 2-4 week injuries and form slumps as a result. He has flashed some pretty good attributes right through his career

What we are seeing and what his career stats show, is a player who was drafted pick 18 at 18 years of age, who began his AFL career in his 2nd year manfully as a grunt midfielder, hitting his peak in physical fitness and form now..

Read what you like into rumours, obviously he was out of favour and has appeared to fight his way back.
It us amazing, almost ridiculous, what a difference 7 games, and 1 particularly poor one this season, has done to people's perceptions.

I hope he stays.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

If we lose to Port and Dunny doesn't play well for 4 quarters he will be right back in the sights of most supporters who don't trust him to sustain this current level of form.

I really want him to succeed but it's a trust issue for me, similarly for this whole team. Dunny transcends the fragility of the whole team and the pick and choose attitude towards effort and playing for four quarters. It's been good for 3 games. I am nervous that Dunny and the team can't keep it up.

I hope our past wins 3 haven't put paper over the big cracks we have.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 8:30am If we lose to Port and Dunny doesn't play well for 4 quarters he will be right back in the sights of most supporters who don't trust him to sustain this current level of form.

I really want him to succeed but it's a trust issue for me, similarly for this whole team. Dunny transcends the fragility of the whole team and the pick and choose attitude towards effort and playing for four quarters. It's been good for 3 games. I am nervous that Dunny and the team can't keep it up.

I think it's wrong to suggest that Dunstan picks and chooses - he's had some skill issues and form slumps but I have never doubted his attitude.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 8:36am
Vortex wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 8:30am If we lose to Port and Dunny doesn't play well for 4 quarters he will be right back in the sights of most supporters who don't trust him to sustain this current level of form.

I think it's wrong to suggest that Dunstan picks and chooses - he's had some skill issues and form slumps but I have never doubted his attitude.
Picks or chooses and/or inability to play 4 quarters, take your pick. There is a sizable sample size of stats to illustrate his inability to give 4 quarters for whatever reason.

We know it's not uncommon for a player to suddenly develop good form when his career is on the line. If we had of been going better as a team and didn't have the significant injury list we've had then Dunny most likely wouldn't have got his current opportunity.

I now hope like hell he not only maintains this current formline for the remainder of his career but I also hope he can do it at our club but I have my doubts.

It will be a shame now he has shown what he can deliver becsuse we will be in the market for more midfielder depth at seasons end and we don't have a hell of a lot of trade currency and the talent pool is thin AND we don't have much of a budget.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Dunstan is looking in career best form to some because this is the best St Kilda side he's played in over that whole career?

His deficiencies and previous 'poor form' are being well over played by many on here (especially those who already declared his career was over). Has always been very solid, just asked to do too much in a poor midfield at such a young age and not developed properly (like so many from that era).

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

25% of his games have over 25 disposals, 50% have over 20 disposals.
Solid C-B grade 111 game grunter looks about right to me and I agree with Dud, solid players lift when playing in better company.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:46am 25% of his games have over 25 disposals, 50% have over 20 disposals.
Solid C-B grade 111 game grunter looks about right to me and I agree with Dud, solid players lift when playing in better company.
Yep. C-B grade grunter with dodgy disposal over the course of his career. Not more.
Lately though, looking more like an A grader. Long may it continue.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 11:42am
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 16 Jul 2021 10:46am 25% of his games have over 25 disposals, 50% have over 20 disposals.
Yep. C-B grade grunter with dodgy disposal over the course of his career. Not more.
Lately though, looking more like an A grader. Long may it continue.
While I agree, in principle, with the dodgy disposal, +/- 70% efficiency fits his profile in a team where he went in and under and just, dished the ball out and rushed it forward.
It stood out when he was uncontested and although he rates with our other full time mids in terms of goals kicked, his goal kicking has been dodgy too, but he isn't Robinson Caruso in that regard.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think his 'dodgy disposal' is another myth that has grown legs.

His career DE is around 70% which is perfectly acceptable, and about average. It's better than others on our list over that time and worse than some.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.