Concerning Recent St Kilda Stories

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Concerning Recent St Kilda Stories

saynta wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 2:03pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 11:28am
saynta wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 10:32am
St Plugger wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 8:18pm
saynta wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 7:47pm I can't stand that Paul guy on Sky with his putrid support of a lying sexist dropkick former Potus. Sick making in fact but for anyone to suggest that the ABC gives a centralist unbiased view of current affairs or anything for that matter has their head stuck up their arse. Q & A is simply the worst from an organisation that should have its taxpayer funding severely reduced.
Santa, you have a dilemma then to consider!
The Libs are no longer the centre-right party that Menzies founded. Menzies used Social Policies to great effect, resulting in his 16 years as PM. The Libs [and Nats] are nows well right of the centre and are true "Conservative" political parties. The Murdock press is also well right of the centre and It supports the Libs whole heartedly. Therefore, as there is no significant media group that is centrist, [You can have centre - left or centre - right by definition], the ABC fills that void. We need to ABC for that very reason to express differing views, and it should have more funding, not less to perform its significant unifying National role.

This forum allows us to express divergent thoughts and views regarding our beloved Saints and so should our national media! [BTW, I frequently support yours]
We can agree to disagree on the ABC. :wink:
To go a little off topic...

I just wonder, do you lot think we would have been better off sticking with one government bank - at state level (the old State Savings Bank) and national (the old Comm Bank).

Do you think fees and any number overt and covert insults that the public now has to deal with on a daily basis in dealing with their banks, would be any different?
I don't pay any bank fees and I certainly don't have to deal with insults from them covert or otherwise so I don't have a problem with the big four.

Although I worked for the Commonwealth Bank for a little while in Launceston back in 1964. They were a bunch of arseholes and the worst possible employer.
lol
I think there was a saying or belief that Comm Bank staff were arse holes because they were basically public servants and their necks were not on the chopping block.

But how do you pay NO fees?
And how do you deal with the insult that is CALL Centres?

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

DeFi is coming. Not immediately, but it's coming. Crypto is changing the financial landscape irrevocably.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 2:21pm
saynta wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 2:03pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 11:28am
saynta wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 10:32am
St Plugger wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 8:18pm
saynta wrote: Mon 13 Dec 2021 7:47pm I can't stand that Paul guy on Sky with his putrid support of a lying sexist dropkick former Potus. Sick making in fact but for anyone to suggest that the ABC gives a centralist unbiased view of current affairs or anything for that matter has their head stuck up their arse. Q & A is simply the worst from an organisation that should have its taxpayer funding severely reduced.
Santa, you have a dilemma then to consider!
The Libs are no longer the centre-right party that Menzies founded. Menzies used Social Policies to great effect, resulting in his 16 years as PM. The Libs [and Nats] are nows well right of the centre and are true "Conservative" political parties. The Murdock press is also well right of the centre and It supports the Libs whole heartedly. Therefore, as there is no significant media group that is centrist, [You can have centre - left or centre - right by definition], the ABC fills that void. We need to ABC for that very reason to express differing views, and it should have more funding, not less to perform its significant unifying National role.

This forum allows us to express divergent thoughts and views regarding our beloved Saints and so should our national media! [BTW, I frequently support yours]
We can agree to disagree on the ABC. :wink:
To go a little off topic...

I just wonder, do you lot think we would have been better off sticking with one government bank - at state level (the old State Savings Bank) and national (the old Comm Bank).

Do you think fees and any number overt and covert insults that the public now has to deal with on a daily basis in dealing with their banks, would be any different?
I don't pay any bank fees and I certainly don't have to deal with insults from them covert or otherwise so I don't have a problem with the big four.

Although I worked for the Commonwealth Bank for a little while in Launceston back in 1964. They were a bunch of arseholes and the worst possible employer.
lol
I think there was a saying or belief that Comm Bank staff were arse holes because they were basically public servants and their necks were not on the chopping block.

But how do you pay NO fees?
And how do you deal with the insult that is CALL Centres?
I have a term deposit in my main bank so no fees and I pay my credit card off in full every month. Never had the need to ring a call centre.

No nothing to do with them being public servants, they were just arseholes to work with who really did not like mainlanders. Tasmania was still in the 18th century in 1964 and the banks working conditions were 20 years earlier than that. Was like you see in Pickworth Papers. Talk to a fellow employee during the afternoon when cheques were being posted and you were on report. I could tell you stories all day.

Every time I tried to resign they would return my resignation to my teller box and threaten to send me to Poatina, a hydro scheme with thousands of migrant workers and nothing else.

They told me no one every resigns from their bank and when I finally managed to, they deducted, without my consent, the cost of a keg for the rest of the staff from my final pay.. As I said arseholes.

St Plugger
Club Player

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 11:28am To go a little off topic...

You may well be right with the banks, [though credit unions and community banks usually have no or few fees]
My gripe is with the power companies.
I'd like to see the SEC reinstated!
We never saw the promised so called "cheaper" electricity with the loss of the SEC, but we did see the loss of the "surplus" that the SEC made, which went back into the States consolidated revenue, and then spent on schools and hospitals and other services. Now that "surplus" goes go into the profits of overseas owned companies and large corporate conglomerates!.

St Plugger
Club Player

The SEC were also an important employer right across the State and at a training level took well over 250 apprentices to train in various trades annually.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

St Plugger wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 5:51pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 11:28am To go a little off topic...

I'd like to see the SEC reinstated!
We never saw the promised so called "cheaper" electricity with the loss of the SEC, but we did see the loss of the "surplus" that the SEC made, which went back into the States consolidated revenue….
Good point

Funny thing we never see the so called savings passed into consumers thanks to the restructuring or new technology!!

Consolidated debt is now what we have.

My old man worked for old CBA bank from 1948-1968..All over the east coast and including three years in NZ. Quit at the age of 37 with four kids!

Back to school, finished HS, Uni degree at 40 and high school teacher at 41…

Amazing and can’t be done now. By the time he was 37 he was a branch manager and he never spoke about it, but I reckon it was stress city and much more fun as a young teller traveling around in his twenties is my guess.

Sister started working in a bank in the graduate stream. Quit for good with four years. Hated every minute of it..flogging loans and products for bonus points ..

I just think we lose out when we flog government assets sometimes, including the state elec grid etc

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Talking about privatisation, just try getting around using Melbourne's public transport on the weekend now - or anytime really.
If you live more than 5kms outside the CBD you simply cannot rely on getting anywhere by train in this town anymore.
Unreliable is a massive understatement.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 14 Dec 2021 6:36pm

Sister started working in a bank in the graduate stream. Quit for good with four years. Hated every minute of it..flogging loans and products for bonus points ..

I just think we lose out when we flog government assets sometimes, including the state elec grid etc
Yep my Dad worked for the state bank and after the takeover the commonwealth is a very laid back person and the loved the banking profession but he grew to hate the commonwealth bank practises of constant flogging credit cards to people that can't afford them, spent the last couple of years before he quit convincing people not to take out credit card offers that came in the mail.

On a side note went to Bendigo bank and loved it for a few years before retiring.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Mon 20 Dec 2021 7:59pm Talking about privatisation, just try getting around using Melbourne's public transport on the weekend now - or anytime really.
If you live more than 5kms outside the CBD you simply cannot rely on getting anywhere by train in this town anymore.
It's bizarre to me I swear as a kid there was always lots of room on trains except maybe at 8:30am now no matter what time you have five people sitting on your lap

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

The SEC planned ahead for decades and built infrastructure accordingly. Private companies plan for the next stockholders' meeting.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

From what I’ve read, the infrastructure and set up is so poor, it’s actually physically impossible to get the necessary number of trains on the lines to meet demand

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote: Mon 20 Dec 2021 8:19pm
samuraisaint wrote: Mon 20 Dec 2021 7:59pm Talking about privatisation, just try getting around using Melbourne's public transport on the weekend now - or anytime really.
It's bizarre to me I swear as a kid there was always lots of room on trains except maybe at 8:30am now no matter what time you have five people sitting on your lap
Especially on our train replacement buses ...

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne, the world's most livable city. What a f****** joke that is.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Due to public transport primarily, Melbourne has dropped down the list in recent years. I think it’s just inside the top 10 with Adelaide and Brisbane taking honours for Australia.

I think Auckland is no1 these days and Switzerland is well represented too.

Even so… Melbourne has always features very heavily amongst the world’s best.

Despite some bluster from ppl from the city, nobody really seems to wants to go to Canberra.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Massive growth in population and not massive investment in public transport. Successive governments starting especially with Kennett pushed public transport backwards at the expense of building freeways. How many times has the SE freeway been widened now?

Super short sighted approach when the really intelligent Euro cities were consistently investing in public transport infrastructure.

Australian politicians are generally so narrow and backward. Same thing is playing out with non fossil fuel energy. Instead of embracing Australia's gifts and pole position to be the number 1 clean energy producer in the world, we have approval being given for more coal mines and money intended for clean energy propping up coal mining. Mind boggling short sightedness.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Horrified to read that a former Saints president with a drug problem gave a glowing reference to a f****** pedophile

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 21 Dec 2021 12:07pm
Massive growth in population and not massive investment in public transport. Successive governments starting especially with Kennett pushed public transport backwards at the expense of building freeways. How many times has the SE freeway been widened now?

Super short sighted approach when the really intelligent Euro cities were consistently investing in public transport infrastructure.

Australian politicians are generally so narrow and backward. Same thing is playing out with non fossil fuel energy. Instead of embracing Australia's gifts and pole position to be the number 1 clean energy producer in the world, we have approval being given for more coal mines and money intended for clean energy propping up coal mining. Mind boggling short sightedness.
100% agree

We really should be the environmental, self-sustaining, socially progressive capital of the world. Unfortunately really requires a massive investment into infrastructure and embracing change and moving away from dated/dying previous business models which ppl don’t want to do because of how it effects them.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 21 Dec 2021 1:40pm

100% agree

We really should be the environmental, self-sustaining, socially progressive capital of the world. Unfortunately really requires a massive investment into infrastructure and embracing change and moving away from dated/dying previous business models which ppl don’t want to do because of how it effects them.
Yes indeed. The whole cycle of maintaining the grip of the mining and fossil fuel energy companies is still playing out. Major political parties beholden to lobbying / donations from that sector. The media, especially Murdoch's network, is also a big part of that. A steady diet of fear mongering for people struggling to make ends meet. Jobs, jobs, jobs is the favourite meme, failing to realise the potential exponential growth in clean energy.
Anyways - off topic I guess.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Tue 21 Dec 2021 1:51pm

100% agree

Yes indeed. The whole cycle of maintaining the grip of the mining and fossil fuel energy companies is still playing out. Major political parties beholden to lobbying / donations from that sector. The media, especially Murdoch's network, is also a big part of that. A steady diet of fear mongering for people struggling to make ends meet. Jobs, jobs, jobs is the favourite meme, failing to realise the potential exponential growth in clean energy.
It’s interesting because Governor Schwarzenegger led the way with moving away from fossil fuels in California and from what I understood, and what he’s said that I haven’t verified, employment boomed because of the jobs created by the clean energy sector.

There’s a video on it if you want to look it up

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 21 Dec 2021 2:07pm
st.byron wrote: Tue 21 Dec 2021 1:51pm

100% agree

It’s interesting because Governor Schwarzenegger led the way with moving away from fossil fuels in California and from what I understood, and what he’s said that I haven’t verified, employment boomed because of the jobs created by the clean energy sector.

There’s a video on it if you want to look it up
Thanks for that. I don't have the bandwidth, but I don't need convincing. It's a no-brainer to me.