Captaincy thoughts?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Captaincy thoughts?

I didn’t say coaches, I said captains are not that important.
How exactly are they important in a game of footy?

Good Leadership at a footy club is essential, that comes from
President, CEO, List Manager and Coach

Gershwin
Club Player

B.M wrote: Mon 01 Feb 2021 5:01pm I didn’t say coaches, I said captains are not that important.
How exactly are they important in a game of footy?

Good Leadership at a footy club is essential, that comes from
President, CEO, List Manager and Coach
I can’t believe what I am reading. Surely no-one other than you thinks that a captain doesn’t provide leadership and is not important in a game of footy.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Harves Man
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Mon 01 Feb 2021 11:02am I kind of like the choice of Marshall

Wasn’t an initial contender but if we’re looking for someone that could take on the role, manage the responsibility, set the tone and grow into it more over time... I kind of feel that he will excel
Yes, this is pretty much exactly the way I see him and the situation.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Harves Man wrote: Tue 02 Feb 2021 1:55am
skeptic wrote: Mon 01 Feb 2021 11:02am I kind of like the choice of Marshall

Wasn’t an initial contender but if we’re looking for someone that could take on the role, manage the responsibility, set the tone and grow into it more over time... I kind of feel that he will excel
Yes, this is pretty much exactly the way I see him and the situation.
Marshall is a beauty. That’s why we give him a lot of love on here....and a lot of votes in our Saintsational Player of the Year award

I’m not sure about points 3 and 7, but I reckon he ticks a lot of boxes on the Walker captaincy criteria

...As does Jack Steele. He’s still my first preference 8-)
supersaints2 wrote: Mon 01 Feb 2021 3:57am
....the “Captain class “ by Sam Walker The sub title of this book is “The hidden force that creates the world’s greatest teams”
He studied the 16 most successful sporting teams in history a book with over a decade of research

For the record, only two Australian teams identified were the Collingwood football team from 1927 to 1930 and the Hockeyroos – Australian women’s hockey team from 1993 to 2000

Here are the seven traits Walker identified in the elite captains:
1. Extreme doggedness and focus in competition
2. Aggressive play that tests the limits of the rules
3. A willingness to do thankless jobs in the shadows
4. A low key, practical and democratic communication style
5. Motivates others with passionate nonverbal displays
6. Strong convictions and the courage to stand apart
7. Ironclad emotional control

He found the most talented players were often the worst leaders

The sixteen leaders who make up the Captain Class were never the most skilled, nor were they paragons of sportsmanship. They were often role players, allergic to the spotlight, and famously inarticulate. In short, they will challenge your assumptions of what inspired leadership looks like.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

What is the captain expected to do onfield over and above what every player is expected to do?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

The captain is the last person to speak to the players before the bounce, for one.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

How about we do a GT and have a group of captains. None seen really ready for it aside from Geary and Seb. I'd add Steele, Marshall and Members to those two this year.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Feb 2021 7:34am What is the captain expected to do onfield over and above what every player is expected to do?
Why do the Saints need a President or a CEO? Why does any club in the AFL need them?

Why is there a CEO of the AFL? Why does the AFL body even exist?

Every good decision and every aspect of planning to meet your long term ambitions and the ability to adapt and modify plans and the execution and review and learning and cohesion and behaviour of all participants starts with leadership

I think supersaint2 summed it up best with those 7 pointers

Each entity has its leaders and the Captain is the player’s leader where it counts most. That is of course on the field - in the heart of the battleground.

If you go back to the end of 2018, a few forumites were calling for Jack Steven to take over as captain. We only had Gears and Seb with Robbo as the only other potential captain (but 2018 was when Robbo first had his health problems). We wanted to appoint Hannas as a leader in 2019, but he had his own personal concerns. After just 1 year as anointed senior coach, Ratts now has a squad with several younger blokes who are ready to take the club forward

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I can tell you from experience

Players (and sometimes captains) can’t remember a thing that was said prior to the game starting.

And that little form of extraneous motivation lasts about 30 seconds

The only thing a captain NEEDS to do is lead by example with his actions and play to the team’s trademarks.
But then again, shouldn’t every player?!

Max Hudghton - never captained
Has the ever been a more courageous heart and soul player

So do you need to be a captain to lead?

freely
SS Hall of Fame

I don't see an obvious captain amongst our group but I do think that the mere fact of 'being' the captain can motivate an individual to go the extra mile in leading by example and playing to the team's trademark. When players begin to drop their heads it has to be someone's job to drag them back up again. Yes, the whole group could and should - but won't.

Sanctorum
Club Player

B.M wrote: Tue 02 Feb 2021 8:32pm I can tell you from experience

Players (and sometimes captains) can’t remember a thing that was said prior to the game starting.

And that little form of extraneous motivation lasts about 30 seconds

The only thing a captain NEEDS to do is lead by example with his actions and play to the team’s trademarks.
But then again, shouldn’t every player?!

Max Hudghton - never captained
Has the ever been a more courageous heart and soul player

So do you need to be a captain to lead?
I understand your argument about shared on-field leadership B.M but feel that you're underestimating the considerable effect of the team being led by a strong captain during a game.

Now that the AFL no longer permit runners to carry instructions from the coach to players except after a goal score, the captain's role during play to direct players is really important.

Game strategies will be very clear in the mind of the captain, especially if, as you suggest, players fail to recollect the coaches' instructions before the start of the game/quarter.

History tells us that without exception, all of the premiership teams are captained by players that not only led by example, but ranked among the elite of the game.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Tue 02 Feb 2021 4:25pm The captain is the last person to speak to the players before the bounce, for one.
Has to have the ability to lead by example. Has to have the ability to turn a game when it's hot and inspire his team mates. Just 2 small things. Maybe win a game or two with the ability he has.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote: Wed 03 Feb 2021 1:15pm
freely wrote: Tue 02 Feb 2021 4:25pm The captain is the last person to speak to the players before the bounce, for one.
Has to have the ability to lead by example. Has to have the ability to turn a game when it's hot and inspire his team mates. Just 2 small things. Maybe win a game or two with the ability he has.
They certainly need to be able to call out their team mates on the field. To have them refocus, to lift them from an error. This does not mean they themselves do not make an error, simply fewer of them with the ability to learn and bounce back from them.
Specifically Voss, Hodge, Selwood, Cotchin...all are driven, all vocal but excellent communicators. Yes, they all lead by example.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

If I felt as though I needed a leader to follow when I played footy, I’d feel a little disappointed in my approach.

I basically attacked the ball at every contest, the hardest and best I could... why?
Because I wanted to win and play well. I also wanted to finish each game knowing I gave 100% and left nothing out there.
Nearly all players would say pretty much the same.

The captain (whoever it was), never really cam into my thinking. I didn’t even notice how they were playing, I just concentrated on my game.

I did however play for the coach, he gave me roles and had expectations of me.

The opposite applied in cricket