Seb Ross Vs Dan Hannebery

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross Vs Dan Hannebery

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 9:48pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 9:37pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 7:42pm
The_Dud wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 6:15pm
Sanctorum wrote: Tue 15 Dec 2020 10:57am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 14 Dec 2020 1:09pm
Sanctorum wrote: Mon 14 Dec 2020 10:56am There is no reason why Hannebery should not regain full match fitness by the start of Round 1, and play a full season without the need for a break.

Plenty of top players over the years that have suffered serious hamstring and allied injuries have been able to make complete recoveries and I am quite confident that the club medicos and fitness staff will have him do things that will ensure he is not at risk of further injuries, barring those that result from on-field collisions.

In regard to the topic, apart from anything else, the things that Dan has over Seb Ross are his great leadership skills and experience in marquee games, which will be really important if the team is going to go all the way. This was after all one of the main reasons the club brought him over from the Swans!
I think there's a difference between 'serious' injuries and 'chronic' injuries.

How many years now have both Sydney and St Kilda been trying to get DH right? 3? 4?
That's overly negative Dud, Hannebery was injured late 2018.....

He came to St Kilda in 2019 with a chronic hamstring injury that took forever to come good which is not unusual for that type of injury, thus only played 13 games in 2 years.

I'm banking on him getting his body right....
His body was shot his last two years at Sydney...
They said he was shot...
"He's had a couple of years, particularly last year (2018) where he's been a little bit banged up, but we're really confident we're going to get the best of Dan.”
I’m beginning to question Richo’s confidence...
...Tightness that scans can't explain and scar tissue that was been removed.....
Hannebaury was in trouble well before 2018...

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/damian ... bery-30485

When I read about surgery to remove scar tissue I think about the next surgeon lining up to do the next surgery to remove scar tissue.....

If he plays 12 games next season and 8 are decent or even three good, we will break even...

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Sanctorum
Club Player

For a bloke whose "body was shot his last two years at Sydney", Hannebery didn't do too bad, playing 23 games in 2017, 15 in 2018 before crossing to St Kilda.

Rest assured Dan will be mustard keen to prove to the club and all the doubters on this site that he can still play at the elite level and if he does he will most certainly make a huge contribution.

Comparisons to either the injury-prone Nathan Freeman or Jessie Smith are quite ill-founded!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 11:09am For a bloke whose "body was shot his last two years at Sydney", Hannebery didn't do too bad, playing 23 games in 2017, 15 in 2018 before crossing to St Kilda.

Rest assured Dan will be mustard keen to prove to the club and all the doubters on this site that he can still play at the elite level and if he does he will most certainly make a huge contribution.

Comparisons to either the injury-prone Nathan Freeman or Jessie Smith are quite ill-founded!
I love your passion Sancto and I truly hope it bares fruit. The interesting part is that Dan should have been keen after being traded by Sydney in an obvious ploy to relieve salary cap space. He was an absolute champion prior to his GF injury, sadly he's not come close since and we are paying him as if he has & will. Two years...tick, tock Dan.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Highly divisive thread giving arm chair 'experts' a free shot at two of our most valuable players.

After 4 pages of mostly uninformed rubbish, isn't it time to put this thread to bed.

Sanctorum
Club Player

saynta wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 7:40pm Highly divisive thread giving arm chair 'experts' a free shot at two of our most valuable players.

After 4 pages of mostly uninformed rubbish, isn't it time to put this thread to bed.
What else can we talk about saynta?? Agree this topic is well and truly covvered, as is whether or not Geary deserves to be in best 22 next year.

Can't think of anything else of a contentious nature, which indicates that the team is in excellent shape!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think it’s been a nice discussion

Maybe ppl could actually start new threads about interesting topics rather than constantly bringing the site down with moaning

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 7:40pm Highly divisive thread giving arm chair 'experts' a free shot at two of our most valuable players.

Aren't divisive threads the best threads for a forum?

This particular thread may be a question our selection committee ponders at some point.

This thread is also one of the more respectful "divisive" threads.

What is worse? An armchair expert on topics relating to a passion OR an armchair expert on armchair experts? Personally I enjoy the discussion.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 8:53pm

This particular thread may be a question our selection committee ponders at some point.

What is worse? An armchair expert on topics relating to a passion OR an armchair expert on armchair experts? Personally I enjoy the discussion.
Bingo... that’s kind of the point. Based on the make up of our list, it does seem that these two maybe competing with each other at some point.

I don’t really get the whole divisive thread point that’s been made by a few forumites...
Divisive against who? Are there going to be a bunch of forumites on SS that get behind either Ross or Hannerbery and deride the other?
Is the club going to read this and go... based on the interesting and well thought out points of that handsome forumite Skeptic we’ve decided to trade Ross.

It’s quite literally a talking point and ppl have been interested as evidenced by the four pages of discussion in this otherwise slow period of the off-season that’s hit here to.
To me, this discussion has been more interesting than the majority of the 7-8 articles posted here dredging up tired platitudes of how the club is more focused, and want success, and these players are training harder or ready to step up etc

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The discussion has been surprisingly polite, but only because the preface is absurd. Ross vs Billings would be more interesting and more relative to the list and our increasing status as a destination club.
We are not going to delist Hanners. He may fall on his sword but we won't delist him and most definitely won't be able to trade him. That's why this is divisive.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 8:53pm

Sorry to break it to you guys, but remove divisive threads, comments by arm chair experts and ill-informed rubbish and there is not too many threads left on the board.

Perhaps we could all sit in a circle, hold hands and sing " oh when the saints" and marvel and gush at the saints.com articles when a link is posted on this site.

I think this thread was a decent hypothetical topic to discuss in the off-season and since the recent departure of some forum posters this thread was largely polite and reasonable.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 9:49pm The discussion has been surprisingly polite, but only because the preface is absurd. Ross vs Billings would be more interesting and more relative to the list and our increasing status as a destination club.
We are not going to delist Hanners. He may fall on his sword but we won't delist him and most definitely won't be able to trade him. That's why this is divisive.
There never was a suggestion that we would. He’s under contract.

The question was more in the context of 2 similar players potentially competing for the same spot. There’s only so many tougher, inside, slower mids with less than elite disposal you can have in the team at one time. Steele has upped his game left them both in the dust... Crouch pbly walks in ahead of both too if he can stay fit, Jones too is ahead and Clark is being talked up as spending more time in the middle and is likely more ball winner than outside jet... guys like Hill, Billings, Gresh, possibly Higgins are more speed/line breaking and polish

Someone like Billings isn’t competing for a spot with Seb Ross... the selection of one will have little to do with the other... neither in terms of position or role hence IMO putting them together in the conversation doesn’t make sense.
It would be like saying pick one of either Howard or Paton... yeah their both defenders but it’s apples and oranges

What I was actually interested in seeing is who people rate higher... and a lot of people have made persuasive cases for one or the other... and there have been a lot of good arguments and different POVs to take away from this. For the life of me I don’t see that as being divisive... and again divisive to who?
As has been pointed out, a lot of the concerns have previously been covered but this thread has equally been about the strengths of both respective players (well maybe not equally but it’s been discussed).
Last edited by skeptic on Wed 16 Dec 2020 11:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

No disrespect mate but you are the biggest armchair critic out there

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Fair enough. I like hypothetical discussion. History will definitely rate Hanners higher, St.Kilda will rate Ross higher.
A direct, who do you rate higher, without the hypothetical might not have been as interesting, I guess. Who would you trade would be boring too. Who has cost us the most and given the least might have been a little obvious? I dont know.
The Hanners trade and contract diatribe has been flogged to death though.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

It’s not an opinion that DH’s two seasons with us have been ruined by injury, that’s a fact.

It’s not an opinion DH’s form has never again hit the highs of 2016, that’s a fact.

Don’t even need to be an armchair expert to see that.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Thu 17 Dec 2020 12:33am It’s not an opinion that DH’s two seasons with us have been ruined by injury, that’s a fact.

It’s not an opinion DH’s form has never again hit the highs of 2016, that’s a fact.

Don’t even need to be an armchair expert to see that.
So i guess it's just a matter of whether he is 100 day aged and medium well or fully cooked.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bangaulegend wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 11:10pm

No disrespect mate but you are the biggest armchair critic out there
You might not be trying to be disrespectful but your post is pure rubbish.

I never or very rarely criticise saints players , with the exception of several ex players. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Anyway, as always I will stick by what I have posted, as nothing posted since has caused me to change my mind in the slightest. :wink:

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 11:41pm Fair enough. I like hypothetical discussion. History will definitely rate Hanners higher, St.Kilda will rate Ross higher.
A direct, who do you rate higher, without the hypothetical might not have been as interesting, I guess. Who would you trade would be boring too. Who has cost us the most and given the least might have been a little obvious? I dont know.
that subject aside, the broader discussion should not be blocked by the thought police tho

it has been a good thread to read - one of the few

Seeya
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Thu 17 Dec 2020 7:29pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 11:41pm Fair enough. I like hypothetical discussion. History will definitely rate Hanners higher, St.Kilda will rate Ross higher.
that subject aside, the broader discussion should not be blocked by the thought police tho

it has been a good thread to read - one of the few
Definitely Sunsaint. That hasn't escaped me. Nor has my distaste for the hindsight heroes with selective memory and baseless opinions, stopped me from engaging in the conversation.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 16 Dec 2020 11:41pm
Ain't that the truth. 8-)

Saintmike65
Club Player

Depending on how 2021 pans out, I reckon there's a better than even money bet Ross will trigger his free agency & leave, particularly if Bytel leap frogs him.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Red Cadaux Vs Chautauqua ?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmike65 wrote: Fri 18 Dec 2020 9:37am Depending on how 2021 pans out, I reckon there's a better than even money bet Ross will trigger his free agency & leave, particularly if Bytel leap frogs him.
:roll:

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Clearly the inspiration for the OP.

Incidentally did you know media outlets now use highly soffsitcated software bots to prepare reports on what subjects will receive maxium clicks.

Take the Bytel story written by the Murdoch machine recently for exampl, the fact of the matter is, that article was prepared by AI and the only journalistic input was the byline. Barely any human input goes into most journalism and the Bytel article is exhibit A.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Fri 18 Dec 2020 11:25am

Incidentally did you know media outlets now use highly soffsitcated software bots to prepare reports on what subjects will receive maxium clicks.

Take the Bytel story written by the Murdoch machine recently for exampl, the fact of the matter is, that article was prepared by AI and the only journalistic input was the byline. Barely any human input goes into most journalism and the Bytel article is exhibit A.
Thank goodness, for discussion forums like this one, for the enlightened, educated and informed posters that visit here. Lol.

Fortunately, I dont subscribed to any news media. My high school media studies course prepared me well. Back then, we had more journalists and less news reporters.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 18 Dec 2020 11:46am
Vortex wrote: Fri 18 Dec 2020 11:25am

Thank goodness, for discussion forums like this one, for the enlightened, educated and informed posters that visit here. Lol.

Fortunately, I dont subscribed to any news media. My high school media studies course prepared me well. Back then, we had more journalists and less news reporters.
Ironically anyone with a "smart phone" is a subscriber to countless media outlets.