Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Re: Carlisle

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:09am Something needs to be done on the quote button. Should be limited to 4. Ridiculous amount of requoting.
Yeah my bad.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Dud, you are making out that he has a D grade park final to be played in on the weekend.

My question is, does his wife really need him there? I would have thought with all the doctors and nurses surrounding her that she will be in fantastic hands. And she will be in hospital for the next few nights being cared for.
So the answer is clearly a NO.

Does she want him there? Most likely.

This hyperbole of family comes first is illogical nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The fact is it's a nice Kodak moment for the family. But this guy has huge responsibilities. Really easy to pass it off as running around on a park kicking a ball around. If it's so irrelevant why is it a billion dollar industry that employs 1000's of people? I have seen grown men crying at football games both from joy and despair. You are a regular contributor to a forum. Many non football types would regard that as very strange. Yet here you are. Most likely as passionate as any of us. So don't try and dismiss this weekend's game as 'just a bunch of blokes running around kicking a ball.' His partner doesn't need him there, she wants him there. Well bad luck. And if he wants to be there that's completely understandable. But he's got a commitment and a bloody big one to fulfil and he's not doing it. When we need him most.
Sometimes I have to do overtime at work and I miss my kids sporting events. Bloody frustrating. One year I missed my daughter's birthday. Every other year I miss Christmas because of work. As I said before, this isn't carers leave he's on, it's paternity leave. He doesn't need to care for anyone. He wants to be there just like he doesn't want to miss his kids 1st birthday. Why is it dinosaur thinking just out of curiosity? Because we've all become accustomed as to what 'should' be done rather than think for ourselves? I think Carlisle 'should' play on Friday night. I haven't heard one logical reason why he shouldn't. Every decision has consequences. The consequence's for the Saints are obvious and will be more obvious as the game drags on Friday night.

Darren Jolly's wife insisted he be there for the birth of his child in the 06 GF. They're now divorced. I wonder if he has regrets?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:05am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:52am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:47am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:44am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:39am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:37am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:34am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:32am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:30am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:26am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:24am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:18am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:06am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:03am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:57am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:40am
Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:35am
Laurie wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:19am Pull your head in Curly family comes before football.
There are those on here who want him traded at ywars end and now questioning why he is leaving to be at the birth of his child.

Boom Boom
I hear this phrase a lot. ‘Family comes before footy ‘
It’s very emotive and designed to automatically make the reader feel uncomfortable if they don’t agree.

Just interested then. The birth of a child, whilst a huge occasion. Is it more important developmentally than say a kids first day of school? Miss a final because you’re interstate and miss the first day of school?

Its the trend its the thing to be seen doing. Trust me we add no value being in there.
Speak for yourself Curly.

That says more about you than Carlisle.

It's 2020, the age of the dinosaurs is over.

My kids are 16 and 14. No chance my wife would expect me to miss a AFL final to be there. Think for yourselves rather than being sheep.
Again, that says more about your usefulness than anyone else's.

Yep had a job all my life, coached every sporting team my sons been in been to every sports event theyve played every school event every dance concert. Driven them all over the state. Been there every day and moment possible. Yep very unuseful. Arseclown.
His wife is a person too.
You'd assume so wouldn't you. So she would probably be aware of his current role.
Yes, his role as a husband/father trumps any game he gets paid to play.
bulls***
Now I understand how you managed to fit all those 400 park footy games in :shock:

Believe it or not other people don't have the same priorities as you. Jake's doing what's best for his wife, himself and his family, and that's not running around with his mates kicking a footy.

What a shock.

Now it's a bad thing to actually participate in sport is it :roll:

It's a bit more serious than running around having a kick with his mates. He's a professional footballer that has a large contract that he is not fulfilling.
Any employer who expects or forces you to miss the birth of your child so you don't miss work is a POS and should be put up on charges.

Pretty simple.
FFS no employer does now your just being a over dramatic. Carlisle is on 700k a year for a short time and is well and truly looked after by his employer. His employer needs him now more than ever and he is letting him and his collegues down
Boohoo, my family comes before all my employers and colleagues put together, and I feel sorry for anyone who has it the other way around.

Jake and St Kilda obviously feel the same, and good for them.
99.99% of the time this is the case but this is the time it's not. By the way do you honestly think the StKilda and the players are happy about this. Hhahahahahahahahahah
St Kilda weren't even picking him a few weeks ago, and now all of a sudden he's indispensable? Now you're sounding desperate.

Where's Nathan Brown by the way?

So all the blokes not getting picked should just go home should they? Carlisle may have had a injury issue we don't know why he wasn't picked but Saturday he was crucial. Friday against 2m Tom Lynch even more so. To even suggest his team mates and club are internally happy is a pisstake.
Last edited by CURLY on Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:21am, edited 1 time in total.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:10am Dud, you are making out that he has a D grade park final to be played in on the weekend.

My question is, does his wife really need him there? I would have thought with all the doctors and nurses surrounding her that she will be in fantastic hands. And she will be in hospital for the next few nights being cared for.

This hyperbole of family comes first is illogical nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The fact is it's a nice Kodak moment for the family. But this guy has huge responsibilities. Really easy to pass it off as running around on a park kicking a ball around. If it's so irrelevant why is it a billion dollar industry that employs 1000's of people? I have seen grown men crying at football games both from joy and despair. You are a regular contributor to a forum. Many non football types would regard that as very strange. Yet here you are. Most likely as passionate as any of us. So don't try and dismiss this weekend's game as 'just a bunch of blokes running around kicking a ball.' His partner doesn't need him there, she wants him there. Well bad luck. And if he wants to be there that's completely understandable. But he's got a commitment and a bloody big one to fulfil and he's not doing it. When we need him most.
Sometimes I have to do overtime at work and I miss my kids sporting events. Bloody frustrating. One year I missed my daughter's birthday. Every other year I miss Christmas because of work. As I said before, this isn't carers leave he's on, it's paternity leave. He doesn't need to care for anyone. He wants to be there just like he doesn't want to miss his kids 1st birthday. Why is it dinosaur thinking just out of curiosity? Because we've all become accustomed as to what 'should' be done rather than think for ourselves? I think Carlisle 'should' play on Friday night. I haven't heard one logical reason why he shouldn't. Every decision has consequences. The consequence's for the Saints are obvious and will be more obvious as the game drags on Friday night.

Darren Jolly's wife insisted he be there for the birth of his child in the 06 GF. They're now divorced. I wonder if he has regrets?
Post deserves 1000 likes. I hope this doesn't make me a dinosaur of maybe I'm a sexist or what ever is the new term for not bending over to conform to what as seen as being correct.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:10am Dud, you are making out that he has a D grade park final to be played in on the weekend.

There's more to a birth than just physical support (doctors, nurses). Its absolutely ridiculous for you to categorically say she doesn't need him there. Also we don't know what else is happening with the pregnancy or in previous births. As I said early, something could easily go wrong, and then he would regret it the rest of his life.

You talk about huge responsibilities, and he does have those, to his family, no footy game, however big, can overshadow that, no matter what die-hard sports fan say.

Just recently in the US an NFL player's parents were in a car crash just prior to a game, one died and the other was in critical condition in hospital. Should he have played the game, as there was nothing he could do to help them and they were in fantastic hands at the hospital?

I'm sorry that you have to miss family events for work, I can imagine it is very frustrating as you say. Work/life balance is becoming a huge issue and focal point in society in recent years, especially with it's links to mental health, and this is a positive for everybody. Hopefully yours can change for the better too.

Lastly, we can't forget this isn't a normal year/season and birth. I'm sure if this was any other season and they were all in Melbourne it wouldn't be an issue. But with everything else that's going on it's not that simple unfortunately.
Last edited by The_Dud on Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:32am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:17am
So all the blokes not getting picked should just go home should they? Carlisle may have had a injury issue we don't know why he wasn't picked but Saturday he was crucial. Friday against 2m Tom Lynch even more so. To even suggest his team mates and club are internally happy is a pisstake.
Where did I say that? Brown left the hub months ago, he might be handy right now, where's the abuse directed towards him?

I would definitely suggest his team mates, while disappointed he can't play, are very happy for him and the birth of his child. Probably because they have more perspective than you.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:20am maybe I'm a sexist or what ever
Ding ding ding

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I think you have underplayed a key point. Maybe just maybe HE wants to be there. Maybe that is why they planned to have a baby in October.
You also assume too much. How do you know he doesn't need to care for her afterwards? What if she has a C Section? Do you expect her to recover and look after 3 small children at the same time?
How is her Mental Health? How has her pregnancy been? How did she recover after the other births? There is much more at play than a simple decision whether or not to play Football.
This is a very personal decision (which he has made) and squabbling over it without any facts is pointless and childish. You can think what you like but at the end of the day he has not done anything wrong.

And for the record if you ever watched the Block you would know why the Jolly's are divorced. She was a downright B**ch and I reckon it has nothing to do with the GF.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

c'mon carlisle, it's a final. a baby is just a baby. heck there's almost 8 billion of the s***s been born in the last 90 odd years alone. labor and green voters think so little of them they're happy to purge the little blighters before they're even born. good that he's not murdering his, but keep things in perspective. get it recorded or watch it live on zoom. have another if you have regrets. heck have heaps and one day you can tell all their kids about your 2020 flag! and speaking from experience the act of conception is a far better experience for all involved.
or do what you want. your choice. i just want all this quoting and requoting above me to stop!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Moods - why on earth do you think his wife is forcing him to be there? Are you just compelled to find a way to blame a woman if you possibly can? He's a big boy, you know. And not everyone regards the Saints being in a prelim as a bigger miracle than childbirth! Though, obviously it's debatable.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

This hyperbole of family comes first is illogical nonsense as far as I'm concerned. The fact is it's a nice Kodak moment for the family. luck. And if he wants to be there that's completely understandable. But he's got a commitment and a bloody big one to fulfil and he's not doing it. When we need him most.

Dude, clearly you have kids. We’re you present at their birth? Witnessing the birth of my son is one of the highlights of my life. And....my wife needed me to be there. You speak as though the whole thing is just a clinical process. It’s way way way more than that. Respect from me to a man who puts his role with his family first.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:17am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:05am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:52am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:47am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:44am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:39am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:37am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:34am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:32am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:30am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:26am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:24am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:18am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:06am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 10:03am
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:57am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:40am
Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:35am
Laurie wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 9:19am Pull your head in Curly family comes before football.
There are those on here who want him traded at ywars end and now questioning why he is leaving to be at the birth of his child.

Boom Boom
I hear this phrase a lot. ‘Family comes before footy ‘
It’s very emotive and designed to automatically make the reader feel uncomfortable if they don’t agree.

Just interested then. The birth of a child, whilst a huge occasion. Is it more important developmentally than say a kids first day of school? Miss a final because you’re interstate and miss the first day of school?

Its the trend its the thing to be seen doing. Trust me we add no value being in there.
Speak for yourself Curly.

That says more about you than Carlisle.

It's 2020, the age of the dinosaurs is over.

My kids are 16 and 14. No chance my wife would expect me to miss a AFL final to be there. Think for yourselves rather than being sheep.
Again, that says more about your usefulness than anyone else's.

Yep had a job all my life, coached every sporting team my sons been in been to every sports event theyve played every school event every dance concert. Driven them all over the state. Been there every day and moment possible. Yep very unuseful. Arseclown.
His wife is a person too.
You'd assume so wouldn't you. So she would probably be aware of his current role.
Yes, his role as a husband/father trumps any game he gets paid to play.
bulls***
Now I understand how you managed to fit all those 400 park footy games in :shock:

Believe it or not other people don't have the same priorities as you. Jake's doing what's best for his wife, himself and his family, and that's not running around with his mates kicking a footy.

What a shock.

Now it's a bad thing to actually participate in sport is it :roll:

It's a bit more serious than running around having a kick with his mates. He's a professional footballer that has a large contract that he is not fulfilling.
Any employer who expects or forces you to miss the birth of your child so you don't miss work is a POS and should be put up on charges.

Pretty simple.
FFS no employer does now your just being a over dramatic. Carlisle is on 700k a year for a short time and is well and truly looked after by his employer. His employer needs him now more than ever and he is letting him and his collegues down
Boohoo, my family comes before all my employers and colleagues put together, and I feel sorry for anyone who has it the other way around.

Jake and St Kilda obviously feel the same, and good for them.
99.99% of the time this is the case but this is the time it's not. By the way do you honestly think the StKilda and the players are happy about this. Hhahahahahahahahahah
St Kilda weren't even picking him a few weeks ago, and now all of a sudden he's indispensable? Now you're sounding desperate.

Where's Nathan Brown by the way?

Here’s my take. Jake’s the provider. His job is to put bread on the table and give these kids the best shot at life they can have. That means pursuing his profession.

If it were me, I’d play, but it’s a conscience call and shouldn’t be held against him if he decides not to play.

We have a more than capable replacement in Roberton.

Also, I wanted to keep this ridiculously long chain of quotes going.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:33am
CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:20am maybe I'm a sexist or what ever
Ding ding ding
You must be rubbish at darts.

amusingname
Club Player

Why would Jolly regret it? Is the child that he was there for the birth of no longer his?

To all the people saying that he is being selfish, or worse in one particular posters ridiculous view, you do realize that being there for the birth is not just to hold the partners hand and then celebrate don’t you? He probably wants to be there firstly to support and then be able to bond with the child, but maybe in the back of his mind he would think what if the unthinkable happened and something goes wrong?, how would I live with myself if something happens to my partner or the baby and I had the opportunity to be with them but didn’t take it?

We all make our own decisions, Jake has made his and I doubt he will regret it. The club has accepted it as well, still a game to win.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

farewell and thanks for all the fish

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if they renew his contract next year?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:57am

Why would Jolly regret it? Is the child that he was there for the birth of no longer his?

To all the people saying that he is being selfish, or worse in one particular posters ridiculous view, you do realize that being there for the birth is not just to hold the partners hand and then celebrate don’t you? He probably wants to be there firstly to support and then be able to bond with the child, but maybe in the back of his mind he would think what if the unthinkable happened and something goes wrong?, how would I live with myself if something happens to my partner or the baby and I had the opportunity to be with them but didn’t take it?

We all make our own decisions, Jake has made his and I doubt he will regret it. The club has accepted it as well, still a game to win.

To bond?? What are they having a calf or lamb.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Well said.

Also, some have tried to justify their views by saying he doesn't need to be there, he just wants to. I hope they're able to see the irony in that position.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:05pm

Oh my...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 11:46am

Moods - why on earth do you think his wife is forcing him to be there? Are you just compelled to find a way to blame a woman if you possibly can? He's a big boy, you know. And not everyone regards the Saints being in a prelim as a bigger miracle than childbirth! Though, obviously it's debatable.
Here we go. Now I'm a woman hater? :roll: :lol:
Read my post again, in fact I'll re quote it for you.

And if he wants to be there that's completely understandable. But he's got a commitment and a bloody big one to fulfil and he's not doing it. When we need him most.

This may well be Carlisle's decision as you state. And I don't get it. At all.
And saints making prelim will absolutely be a miracle now. Roberton after playing some feeble practice matches for 3 months won't even be close to being ready to play, poor bastard.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:08pm

Oh my...
My dad has a fantastic relationship with all his children amazing as he wasn't there to bond at birth. :roll:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:10pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:08pm

Oh my...
My dad has a fantastic relationship with all his children amazing as he wasn't there to bond at birth. :roll:
Amazing that any of us middle aged adults ever survived with all our dads not being present at birth.

I get the argument if something went wrong how he would feel. I really do and I'm certainly not trying to imply that giving birth is a mundane every day event. It can be quite stressful for all involved. But this isn't the Middle Ages (regardless of how some view my argument) My argument is predicated that a normal healthy birth is expected which for most people is the outcome. I certainly reject the argument that he needs to be there to bond. That's psycho babble rubbish at it's highest. Bit like saying that the baby will somehow be defective if it's not breastfed. It's an industry full of midwives influencing well meaning parents and guilting parents into raising children the way they believe they should be.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Family has to come first so hopefully all goes well for Jake and his wife. Its a shame because Jake was really up and about against WB and had a really good game.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:23pm Family has to come first so hopefully all goes well for Jake and his wife. Its a shame because Jake was really up and about against WB and had a really good game.
Fair enough. So if Jake decided to play this Friday would you have been disappointed with that decision? Would you have believed that he has let his family down? I mean family HAS to come first.

Question isn't just directed at you Impatient Sainter. I'm genuinely curious about the answer of those who say that Jake has made the right choice.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:28pm
Impatient Sainter wrote: Mon 05 Oct 2020 12:23pm Family has to come first so hopefully all goes well for Jake and his wife. Its a shame because Jake was really up and about against WB and had a really good game.
Fair enough. So if Jake decided to play this Friday would you have been disappointed with that decision? Would you have believed that he has let his family down? I mean family HAS to come first.

Question isn't just directed at you Impatient Sainter. I'm genuinely curious about the answer of those who say that Jake has made the right choice.
Whatever choice he makes is the 'right' choice, because it is his and his family's choice, no one else's. Only they know all the ins-and-outs of the situation.

Think of it this way, we don't need him to play, we want him to play. Every argument you've produced above can easily be made for the exact opposite position, I'm surprised you haven't seen it.

You also seem to be totally dismissing the whole mental/emotional side of child birth.

Lastly, I don't think anyone on their death bed has ever said "Gee I wish I spent more time at work and less with my family"