Changes for the Elimination Final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes for the Elimination Final

Carlisle must play on Bruce, they can both sit where their respective cheer squads would normally sit for the same if not more effect than either have had this year.

Frees up Wilkie, Howard & the Coff to intercept. Allows Paton & Long to concentrate on their small forwards & resting mids.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Joffa Burns wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 8:59pm
saynta wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 4:53pm Ross won't get dropped.
Why would it even be suggested?
Like you I do not get the Ross hate here.
Ross is a decent B grade mid and a walk up start in the team.
It’s not a hate thing at all - I agree that he’s an ok B grade mid. My point was that Kent seems to be the one suggested to go out for Jones but, that’s not like for like.

On that basis - Ross would be the most logical like for like out.

And yes, he’s a walk up start but, that doesn’t make make it better if the rest of your guys are also B graders. More importantly, you want as many of your better guns firing as possible playing against good teams with deep midfields.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Would love for Ratts to bring in Bytel and play him head to head with one of their slower mids. Inside mids is where the game will be won or lost imo

Not sure how Ratts rates him but he'll be hungry and raring to go and finals is where the best are tested.

He'll be a ten year player so why not give the kid a taste.

If Naughton doesn't play and they don't replace him with another tall, I reckon we drop Carlisle

If Jones is 100% he comes in obviously

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 21 Sep 2020 10:19pm
It’s not a hate thing at all - I agree that he’s an ok B grade mid. My point was that Kent seems to be the one suggested to go out for Jones but, that’s not like for like.

And yes, he’s a walk up start but, that doesn’t make make it better if the rest of your guys are also B graders. More importantly, you want as many of your better guns firing as possible playing against good teams with deep midfields.
This is the thing we need to get our head around, we fell into the finals with 10 wins and 7 losses in a much shorter season. If this was full strength competition we would be 2 or 3 games short of securing a finals berth and needing to find the petrol tickets to win those 2 or 3 games. And before the GWS game we looked cooked and the fact we beat GWS in the week they imploded does not mean we have the luxury of dropping a quality midfielder like Seb. We need all the quality we can get in the midfield if we are any chance of winning.

Especially in the week we come up agianst the competitions deepest in form midfield. And we certainly wouldn't do a batshit crazy thing and select a player like Bytel. Bytel wont play again this season. He is not ready for AFL and desperately needs development time in the reserves.

I think Carlisle is the player who is at most risk of losing his spot if Zak can play. I know its not like for like but we will be looking for loading up with as much midfield depth as possible gainst the Dogs.

If Naughton doesn't play I reckon that definitely means we can drop Carlisle for a midfielder.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Zac vs Dunstan

Disposal isn’t a specialty for either
Picking up the awkward ball at the toes? Dunstan?
Sprinting with the ball in hand, charging the lines like British Bulldog? Zac?
Marking an errant miskick?
Receiving frantic handballs under pressure?
Peripheral vision and game awareness?
Kicking to a player with precision over 30-40 meters?

I don’t know know who is the better? Dunstan hasn’t played all season, so on that basis, it is probably a question we needn’t worry about. But saying they had both banked 12 games, I wonder who is better.
Kicking to a player

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
SaintDippa
Club Player

Respecting everyone's opinions but Dunstan !!?? Dropping Seb!!?? If Bytel was in Ratts finals 22 would have played last week.
Only difference between the GWS 22 and the Round 2 22 that touched up the Doggies is Gresham/Hind out Battle/Kent in.
My opinion if the 22 from GWS pulled up ok and if Naughton is out then only change is possibly Carlisle for Jones if Jones is fit.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Agree with those comments. Would be one of the first players picked each week.

I think certain posters like to have a target, a regular whipping boy, to make them feel better about themselves.

Last year it was Newnes. Completely unjustified I might add.

This year it is Ross's turn.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 10:04am Zac vs Dunstan

Disposal isn’t a specialty for either
Picking up the awkward ball at the toes? Dunstan?
Sprinting with the ball in hand, charging the lines like British Bulldog? Zac?
Marking an errant miskick?
Receiving frantic handballs under pressure?
Peripheral vision and game awareness?
Kicking to a player with precision over 30-40 meters?

I don’t know know who is the better? Dunstan hasn’t played all season, so on that basis, it is probably a question we needn’t worry about. But saying they had both banked 12 games, I wonder who is better.
Kicking to a player
How many times has Dunstan been tagged at AFL level?

I like Dunstan, he works hard, is fit & tough and is a bull but he is a C grade AFL player who isn't a great natural endurance runner and isn't quick. Dunstan doesn't have any elite attributes.

Zac is quick, tough and breaks the lines and gives forwards an opportunity to be one on one with their opponents. IMO Zac is a B grade AFL player & a superior AFL player to Dunstan. IMO Zac has some elite attributes in his pace & agility and willingness to take the game on.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 7:13am

This is the thing we need to get our head around, we fell into the finals with 10 wins and 7 losses in a much shorter season. If this was full strength competition we would be 2 or 3 games short of securing a finals berth and needing to find the petrol tickets to win those 2 or 3 games. And before the GWS game we looked cooked and the fact we beat GWS in the week they imploded does not mean we have the luxury of dropping a quality midfielder like Seb. We need all the quality we can get in the midfield if we are any chance of winning.

Especially in the week we come up agianst the competitions deepest in form midfield. And we certainly wouldn't do a batshit crazy thing and select a player like Bytel. Bytel wont play again this season. He is not ready for AFL and desperately needs development time in the reserves.

I think Carlisle is the player who is at most risk of losing his spot if Zak can play. I know its not like for like but we will be looking for loading up with as much midfield depth as possible gainst the Dogs.

If Naughton doesn't play I reckon that definitely means we can drop Carlisle for a midfielder.
Another stupid post from Vortex

How could you possibly say the above? We won our last game by nearly 10 goals and the Dees that finished 9th were one game behind us and heaps of %.

No doubt in my mind now that you are a TROLL.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Just had a thought.
They won’t pick Jones.
Keeping Kent is paramount for them, fair enough, whatever , but they won’t drop Sinclair, nor should they.

Unless the Carlisle baby situation rears it’s head.

(See what I did there? Yeah yeah!)

StPeter
Club Player

Channel 7 news tonight said Lonie in serious doubt with knee injury and also questioned Steele and Battle not training.

Coffield left the track to have an ankle treated.

Good news is that Zac Jones trained well.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Call me greedy, but I'd love to have Luke Dunstan and Zac Jones in the team

Perhaps Lonie misses from injury. Depending on match ups, Carlisle or Kent the possible exclusions.

We desperately need to strengthen our midfield. Dunstan & Hannabury could rotate around the middle and forward line.

Assuming we win, we'll need midfielders in the following weeks and it would be preferable for Dunstan to have a game under his belt.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I rate Dunstan, but think that lack of football may cost him. Wouldn’t be surprised if there are some rival clubs sniffing around for an able, big-bodied midfielder.

I think we’re starting to look pretty good in the middle for next season. Ryder, Marshall, Steele, Gresham, Clark, Hannebery, Jones. But you can’t have too many good midfielders.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Dogs are very quick. Dunstan would only come in for Ross if he wasn't fit. As for the suggestion of Bytel, there's no way they would play him in a final at this stage of his development. He showed a little bit but he's not up to playing in that cauldron

bangaulegend
SS Hall of Fame

IMO Lonie will be fine so will Battle & Steele will be 1 change Jones for Kent or Carlisle

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

I hope Lonie plays.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Tue 22 Sep 2020 4:33pm

How could you possibly say the above? We won our last game by nearly 10 goals and the Dees that finished 9th were one game behind us and heaps of %.

I suspect you are correct but he’s not your everyday, ordinary troll. He's seeking something he doesn't receive in real life, validation & acknowledgement. Why else would a perennially banned poster continue to reincarnate themselves?

Most trolls once they "achieve", disappear. This one I suspect, actually has a soft spot for St Kilda but a hard on for attention. He struggles to be right but celebrates being wrong, he's a posting irony.

saintbob
SS Life Member

StPeter wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 7:49pm Channel 7 news tonight said Lonie in serious doubt with knee injury and also questioned Steele and Battle not training.

Coffield left the track to have an ankle treated.

Good news is that Zac Jones trained well.
I saw Lonie pull up short in the last minute of the game and actually thought he'd popped a hammy, he has had some serious tape on his left knee for the last few weeks.

SaintPelican66
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 23 Sep 2020 10:03pm

I suspect you are correct but he’s not your everyday, ordinary troll. He's seeking something he doesn't receive in real life, validation & acknowledgement. Why else would a perennially banned poster continue to reincarnate themselves?

Most trolls once they "achieve", disappear. This one I suspect, actually has a soft spot for St Kilda but a hard on for attention. He struggles to be right but celebrates being wrong, he's a posting irony.
Well put!!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 12:03pm

Well put!!
Well, takes a troll to recognize another one of the same species. :wink:

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 12:59pm

Well put!!
Like I said, I was warned about you Saynta. They all said you would disagree with people just for the sake of it. And then when you were called out on it and to back up your opinion with facts not just hearsay you would just disappear. We're onto you.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 5:11pm

Well put!!
Like I said, I was warned about you Saynta. They all said you would disagree with people just for the sake of it. And then when you were called out on it and to back up your opinion with facts not just hearsay you would just disappear. We're onto you.
More bulls***. No one told you anything of the sort. You have been heref or years imhfo.

This is what will happen to you for telling porkies.

🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 5:34pm

Well put!!
More bulls***. No one told you anything of the sort. You have been heref or years imhfo.

🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥
Give it a rest ffs. Lets just enjoy (hopefully), the next 4 weeks of finals footy. Carn the Saints.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPelican66 wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 5:51pm

Well put!!

🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥
Give it a rest ffs. Lets just enjoy (hopefully), the next 4 weeks of finals footy. Carn the Saints.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

SaintPelican66
Club Player

saynta wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 5:56pm
SaintPelican66 wrote: Thu 24 Sep 2020 5:51pm

Well put!!

🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥🤥
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Cease fire...war is over. :idea: :D