Alan Richo should get some credit

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Alan Richo should get some credit

lol the op is loving this...sucking so many in. :)

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

And pays no respect to the forum, or to its participants, or to the people who make it possible and make it available without all the crap and advertisements you get elsewhere

It's not only the change in senior coach, it's also the countless new footy department staff that have turned the club around and made the footy world take notice of the Saints

....but apparently Richo needs to be acknowledged and given 'some credit'
The Fireman wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 11:13pm
johnearljames wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:56pm
The Fireman wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:54pm
johnearljames wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 10:43pm What? So we can't discuss ex coaches and their influence in this place?

Very odd.

How about Ross Lyon instead?
more about your influence
Ok, that really makes sense on an obscure Saints fan forum.

How about some posters stick to the topic or don't contribute if you don't like it. Pretty easy choice as a grown adult.
and that's how you treat this forum. There it is right there ladies and Gentlemen

Secret Kiel
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 2:38am lol the op is loving this...sucking so many in. :)
Hater A and Hater B couldn't post quick enough. 🤣

Leo.J
SS Life Member

Richo made Paddy’s career what it is today with his development skills.

Teaching him to crash packs head first.... ‘be strong Paddy’.

Richo held us back and stunted the development of the clubs elite talent.

He more or less retired our #1 pick, and turned a #3 in to a 2rd rounder at best.

He was nice to the players but had no idea how to get the best out of them as a coach.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'm not a fan of any coach over another and I think the credit is always due to the players themselves.
How's Clarko doing with his current crop of champion recruits from other clubs?

I mean, you could very easily argue that AR got the best out of Steele, Roberton, Membrey, Sinclair (rated elite), Savage, Austin, Webster, etc, etc .... and that BR is not getting the best out of Hill and was responsible for getting Hannebery injured (a long bow, I know).

The way I see it is, players get the most out of themselves - FULL STOP. They have all the training facilities, trainers and coaches, including assistant coaches, nutrionists, doctors and psychiatrists they need, and they know their own bodies and how far to push them.

Steele even credited AR for developing into the player he's become - but Steele would be great under any coach.

It's up to players like Hill to get themselves back to their best form - his Freo form - otherwise you could argue that Lyon got a lot more out of him than BR is managing to.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 15 Aug 2020 10:20am, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Richo was good in developing players, but team coaching wasn't his strength

Secret Kiel
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 10:07am I'm not a fan of any coach over another and I think the credit is always due to the players themselves.

I mean, you could very easily argue that AR got the best out of Steele, Roberton, Membrey, Sinclair (rated elite), Savage, Austin, Webster, etc, etc .... and that BR is not getting the best out of Hill and was responsible for getting Hannebery injured (a long bow, I know)..

The way I see it is, players get the most out of themselves - FULL STOP. They have all the training facilities, trainers and coaches, including assistant coaches, doctors and psychiatrists they need.

Steele even credited AR for developing into the player he's become - but Steele would be great under any coach.

It's up to players like Hill to get themselves back to their best form - otherwise you could argue that Lyon got a lot more out of him than BR is managing to.
Exactly and the most balanced view I have read on this whacky board in 20 years and is clearly based in knowledge of how football clubs succeed.

It is the sum of all parts and with the exception of some would-be coaches that just clearly aren't cut out for the caper, most are truly invested and commit 60 to 70 hours per week and make a valuable contribution. Alan had his faults but on the whole his contribution has been a valuable building block and has left a legacy that can be improved and built upon. Our upward trajectory is proof of that and not many coaches have allowed such a successful and seamless transition to a new coach in our clubs history.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

The buck always stops with the players themselves - they have no excuses and receive all the help they ever need.

The coach is just the small cherry on top - and Clarko is just the pip of the cherry this year, if we are going to blame the coach.

If all our players play to their full potential, and get the most out of themselves, we could win the flag this year.
That's what it boils down to.

Hill has to get back to the consistency and form he had at Freo, for example. It's all up to him - what's stopping him? The coach?

johnearljames
Club Player

samoht wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 10:23am The buck always stops with the players themselves - they have no excuses and receive all the help they ever need.

The coach is just the small cherry on top - and Clarko is just the pip of the cherry this year, if we are going to blame the coach.

If all our players play to their full potential, and get the most out of themselves, we could win a flag this year.
That's what it boils down to.

Hill has to get back to the consistency and form he had at Freo, for example. It's all up to him - what's stopping him? The coach?
I reckon its a bit of the Saints and Hill working out how best to use him. He has been good in some games. As Ratts said, they need to get the ball to him more. The guy runs like a maniac. We aren't using him enough.

Ross Lyon said as much on that Ch 9 show. Interestingly, he said it takes just as much courage and guts to run like Hill does compared to a player that always puts his head over the ball.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
johnearljames
Club Player

Here is the clip. Brilliant commentary and analysis.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 10:38am

Ross Lyin and brilliant go together as much as dog poo and roses do. :roll:

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

It's spot on. The main issue I saw for our club after Covid hit (and the first main break after R1) and then the training restrictions on groups 8 etc - was that it was going to be very hard for a team that incorporates 5 new players last pre-season to integrate together - with a new coach - and learn a new system that works to the advantage of each of the players' strengths.

I think our players and coaches have done a very good job in getting to where we are given the quite difficult nature and restrictions around being able to train new systems and plans. I think Hill is the one who's struggling the most with the team not using him correctly (mainly because the other players have never had a crazy good gut-running wing man playing with them before).

Based on Ratt's after-Geelong presser - I wouldn't be surprised if we over-compensate this Essendoom game and look for him "too much". Time will tell I guess.

Go you red, black & white warriors
johnearljames
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 10:21am
samoht wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 10:07am I'm not a fan of any coach over another and I think the credit is always due to the players themselves.

I mean, you could very easily argue that AR got the best out of Steele, Roberton, Membrey, Sinclair (rated elite), Savage, Austin, Webster, etc, etc .... and that BR is not getting the best out of Hill and was responsible for getting Hannebery injured (a long bow, I know)..

The way I see it is, players get the most out of themselves - FULL STOP. They have all the training facilities, trainers and coaches, including assistant coaches, doctors and psychiatrists they need.

It's up to players like Hill to get themselves back to their best form - otherwise you could argue that Lyon got a lot more out of him than BR is managing to.
Exactly and the most balanced view I have read on this whacky board in 20 years and is clearly based in knowledge of how football clubs succeed.

It is the sum of all parts and with the exception of some would-be coaches that just clearly aren't cut out for the caper, most are truly invested and commit 60 to 70 hours per week and make a valuable contribution. Alan had his faults but on the whole his contribution has been a valuable building block and has left a legacy that can be improved and built upon. Our upward trajectory is proof of that and not many coaches have allowed such a successful and seamless transition to a new coach in our clubs history.
Very well said SK. A 1000 piece puzzle requires many pieces to be put together to get the final product.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 12:59pm
Secret Kiel wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 10:21am

Very well said SK. A 1000 piece puzzle requires many pieces to be put together to get the final product.
I would say about 1000 of them to be exact.

johnearljames
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 10:52am

He got the best out of Hill. 🤷‍♂️

saynta
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 1:06pm

That is pure bulls***. He played in 2 or 3 premierships with the Hawks. f****** Lyin was a dud coach. I absolutely detest the lying prick. :evil:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 2:38am lol the op is loving this...sucking so many in. :)
Ha ha...

:wink:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
johnearljames
Club Player

saynta wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 1:23pm

That is pure bulls***. He played in 2 or 3 premierships with the Hawks. f****** Lyin was a dud coach. I absolutely detest the lying prick. :evil:
Not welcome back as an assistant then?
Lol.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Lyon is much too good to be an assistant.

Carlton or Essendon should have grabbed him.

Too bad, so sad.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 1:42pm
saynta wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 1:23pm

Not welcome back as an assistant then?
Lol.
Hardly. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 1:52pm Lyon is much too good to be an assistant.

Carlton or Essendon should have grabbed him.

Too bad, so sad.
Nah, not if they want to win a premiership. :wink: :wink:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Fri 14 Aug 2020 2:48pm No dramas that Richo is gone and Ratts is coach but Alan needs to take some credit with the development of some of our younger players like Billings, Gresh, Battle, etc. He was part of the process that now has us in real finals contention even though he has been long gone.

Alan, yes you were never taking us to the finals but you are not forgotten.
You are kidding he held our club and list back the entire time he was in charge. He choked the confidence out of players with his defensive game plan and the club struggled to attract big name players during his tenure. In my opinion Richardsons 6 years were a total waste of those years list wise and for the club. He was a complete dud and the whole AFL industry knew it. Lethers would have got rid of him 2 years earlier if it wasnt for Finnis extending his contract $$$.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

The picture of Nick Dal Santo's dick deserves as much credit for how we're going this year...just as much as Richo

There's some debate as to whether it was the photo of Riewoldt's dick, but I'm confident it was Nicky D's willy. Guaranteed!

On a serious note...anyone who understands professional sport understands that Richo did not improve as a senior coach and did not grow and thrive in the role. Of course there'll be individuals in professional sport who will motivate themselves but what about some of the ones who lack the confidence or go through form slumps?

You need a coach to be able to prosper and show great energy, innovation and enthusiasm. Richo failed as a senior coach in these areas and he could not inspire or lead the Saints. That's why we played a terrible brand of footy

takeaway
Club Player

Scollop wrote: Sat 15 Aug 2020 7:42pm The picture of Nick Dal Santo's dick deserves as much credit for how we're going this year...just as much as Richo

There's some debate as to whether it was the photo of Riewoldt's dick, but I'm confident it was Nicky D's willy. Guaranteed!

On a serious note...anyone who understands professional sport understands that Richo did not improve as a senior coach and did not grow and thrive in the role. Of course there'll be individuals in professional sport who will motivate themselves but what about some of the ones who lack the confidence or go through form slumps?

You need a coach to be able to prosper and show great energy, innovation and enthusiasm. Richo failed as a senior coach in these areas and he could not inspire or lead the Saints. That's why we played a terrible brand of footy
I'd be interested to know who understands professional sport on here.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Seems Cho’s development and perseverance with Jack Newnes has finally borne fruit