The Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: The Draft

ace wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 8:48am
kosifantutti wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 7:42am
ace wrote:At pick 54 we needed to match 220 points
We would get 197 points from the discount so would need an extra 23 points to have taken Biggy away from Richmond.
Pick 71 would have delivered that many points (29 points).
Now pick 51 actually became pick 52 on the night so AT THAT TIME pick 76 and 82 would maybe have been 77 and 83.
Not enough points to get the job done.
The points would have to come off our 2020 first rounder effectively knocking it back one place and our next pick in the 2019 draft would have been advanced and used at the same time.

We were always vulnerable to losing Biggy immediately after using our first pick 51 (became pick 52)
If Biggy had been called at pick no 56 we could have got him with the discount alone by advancing our next pick.
Anywhere between pick 53 and 55 we could not realistically match.
Richmond knew the Saints predicament and grabbed a Biggy.
That puts a different spin on it.
But didn’t our later picks come forward as teams lost a lot of picks in the 50s and 60s to match bids? Our second pick ended up at 64.
Yes our next pick eventually became pick 64 due to other clubs not using their later picks BUT that did not happen until later.
At the time Biggy was called at pick 54 our next pick would have been around pick 77 but we would have needed to have pick 71.
We did not have enough points to cover Biggy being called in the 3 picks after our first pick at 52.
Pick 53, 54 or 55 we could not cover.
Clubs with serious academy picks run scenarios of what picks they will deploy to cover ALL eventualities.
They trade picks at trade time to ensure they have every possibility covered.
Last year Sydney had prepared a deal with West Coast where they traded away their 2nd round pick on the night, used later picks to secure their academy player and then immediately traded back in a 2nd round pick.

St Kilda had Biggy covered by pick 51 (became pick 52) if he was called anywhere after pick 39 to 50
And by pick 76 (became 64 but would probably have been 77 at the time) from pick 56 onwards.

Did the club take a risk leaving those picks exposed and lose ?
Did the club not realise they did not have those picks covered ?
Did they not rate Biggy high enough to care ?
We will never know.
The spin will be that we were never going to take Biggy in the main draft but if he was still available after the draft and pre-season draft the club would have pre-listed him as a rookie B ahead of the rookie draft.
Couldn’t we have traded up to 71 at the time with another club offering a 2020 4th round pick or something like that.

summertime and the living is easy ........
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 9:07am SORRY

Just read this article from Saints.com.au
https://www.saints.com.au/news/2019-11- ... ew-heights
It says "Heading into tonight’s AFL Draft, we hold picks 51, 69 and 75."
Pick 51 slipped to 52 so assuming pick 69 slipped to 70 we had just enough points to outbid Richmond.
Richmond pick 54 = 220 points.
St kilda pick 70 = 39 points plus discount 197 points = 236 points
We need to hear from the ITKs.
Did we have the points or not, but preferred the chance of Connolly ahead of Biggy.
At that time we had pick 66 and 73.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 2:09am
The points would have to come off our 2020 first rounder effectively knocking it back one place and our next pick in the 2019 draft would have been advanced and used at the same time.
Deducting 23 points would not affect a first round pick.

You have to wait till pick 30 before the difference between it and the next pick is 23 points.

So any first rounder minus 23 points would not result in any sliding.

Difference between 18 and 18 is 40 points.

I would assume the club did not match on Biggy as we only rated him as worth a rookie pick.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 7:42am
ace wrote:At pick 54 we needed to match 220 points
We would get 197 points from the discount so would need an extra 23 points to have taken Biggy away from Richmond.
Pick 71 would have delivered that many points (29 points).
Now pick 51 actually became pick 52 on the night so AT THAT TIME pick 76 and 82 would maybe have been 77 and 83.
Not enough points to get the job done.

We were always vulnerable to losing Biggy immediately after using our first pick 51 (became pick 52)
If Biggy had been called at pick no 56 we could have got him with the discount alone by advancing our next pick.
Anywhere between pick 53 and 55 we could not realistically match.
Richmond knew the Saints predicament and grabbed a Biggy.
That puts a different spin on it.
But didn’t our later picks come forward as teams lost a lot of picks in the 50s and 60s to match bids? Our second pick ended up at 64.
Yep we had picks 66 and 73 and would have got back pick 69. It was do able. Extremely pissed off.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 28 Nov 2019 9:34pm Leo;

Height
181cm
Weight
80kg
Current Team
Sandringham Dragons, Vic Metro
Birthday
May 3, 2001

A clever outside ball user, Connolly has the right traits to play that running game in transition with nice skills, speed and a willingness to take the game on. He is set on building more of an inside game which will come with strength and also more resistance to opposition pressure which can sometimes impact his decision making. Averaged 65.7 per cent by foot but just 27 per cent was contested. Connolly has plenty of nice moves on the football field, able to use his speed to advantage when coming off half-back or along the wing which helps his versatility. At just 74kg he is still quite light, but his smarts and creativity in trying to open the game up for his teammates is important. While at times he can make mistakes, he always throws himself a challenge in the game trying to win the ball and gain as many metres as he can, to open up the field for his teammates. In 2019, Connolly almost doubled his disposal average from 11.5 to 20.0, while moving from one tackle to two – though it is still an improvement, but more importantly, averaging 4.6 rebounds per game.

STRENGTHS: Kicking, outside game, speed, creative, versatility, rebounding
IMPROVEMENTS: Inside game, work under pressure, tackling
Sandy dragons? Don't think so. Try Gippsland Power.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Further from the herald sun.com.au

Buckenara states

"ST KILDA

DRAFT PICKS

52. Ryan Byrnes: 181cm 80kg, Midfielder, Sandringham Dragons

64. Leo Connolly: 181cm 74kg, Defender, Gippsland Power

ROOKIE PICKS

5. Jack Bell: 200cm, 73kg, Ruckman, Sandringham Dragons

Buckenara says: Only took two later picks in the national draft after a big trade period and drafted for needs to bring in more speed. Jack Steven was traded to Geelong but St Kilda has brought in a potential Steven clone in Ryan Byrnes because he possesses similar traits in that likes to arch his back and use his burst of speed to get out of a pack. I had him rated at 37, so it’s a bit of a win to get him at pick 52.

Buckenara’s verdict: Overall a good off-season for the Saints when you factor in their trade acquisitions.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Most underwhelming draft I can remember.

GCS are now our mortal enemy. I just want them to fail miserably so the AFL has to explain it in a few years time. Every team that plays them, I hope they lose to, even the Filth.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 8:32pm Most underwhelming draft I can remember.

GCS are now our mortal enemy. I just want them to fail miserably so the AFL has to explain it in a few years time. Every team that plays them, I hope they lose to, even the Filth.

I have a brother in law who lives a stones throw from Carrara. A mad dyed in the wool Carlton supporter.he tells me no team will ever survive on the Gold Coast. Be they League, Union, Basketball, soccer or AFL. Too many other distractions.

Hope to hell he is right.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

So who picked up Brandon White?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:So who picked up Brandon White?
His mum.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 8:39pm
Sainternist wrote: Fri 29 Nov 2019 8:32pm Most underwhelming draft I can remember.

I have a brother in law who lives a stones throw from Carrara. A mad dyed in the wool Carlton supporter.he tells me no team will ever survive on the Gold Coast. Be they League, Union, Basketball, soccer or AFL. Too many other distractions.

Dreamworld?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it seems to be the Bermuda Triangle for Australian pro sports teams. I just want to see the AFL having to front up to the fans in a few years time and have to explain that their love child business venture failed miserably. Would be great to see them lose all their 22 games next year.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

A shame we didn’t pick up Sean Ralphsmith’s son Hugo.

BarryGrogan
Club Player

Sainternist wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 2:22pm

Yeah it seems to be the Bermuda Triangle for Australian pro sports teams. I just want to see the AFL having to front up to the fans in a few years time and have to explain that their love child business venture failed miserably. Would be great to see them lose all their 22 games next year.
What's the measure of success for the venture though?

It's definitely not win/loss.

If revenue is up due to the extra game played every week, then it's a success.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

It's not when you pick them up, or the number of draftees you select. It's about getting it right. We've had a few drafts with well positioned selections in the second round over the last dozen years that have been a complete failure......e.g. Hugh Goddard, Spencer White, Daniel Markworth, Nathan Wright, Brad Howard, Nick Winmar.

Hopefully, Chris Liberatore will have more success that those before him.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

BarryGrogan wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 2:38pm

Yeah disagree with both the negative assessments of the areas woth to the afl
Our club would kill for the business model and infrastructure of the southport sharks
Massive club , very successful, and has given us players of the calibre like Gilbert and Riewoldt
And it's just a pissy little "gold coast" club

Seeya
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 5:27pm

Our club would kill for the business model and infrastructure of the southport sharks
Massive club , very successful, and has given us players of the calibre like Gilbert and Riewoldt
The Southport club is an impressive club, however the motel and pokies generate most of the revenue and the club itself is just as busy in the off season.as it is during the season. There are clubs running this business model all over the state.
The crowds attending aren't anything to rave about and most of the draftees who play State League play one season of Senior football at the most. The AFL are milking the talent not developing the game, unless you count Auskick and curriculum based school sports.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 7:46pm
sunsaint wrote: Sat 30 Nov 2019 5:27pm

The Southport club is an impressive club, however the motel and pokies generate most of the revenue and the club itself is just as busy in the off season.as it is during the season. There are clubs running this business model all over the state.
The crowds attending aren't anything to rave about and most of the draftees who play State League play one season of Senior football at the most. The AFL are milking the talent not developing the game, unless you count Auskick and curriculum based school sports.
Spot on mate.