2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.rick
Club Player

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

? well if he comes cheap he has looked good from what i've seen. maybe a front runner but does some nice things

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
st.rick wrote:Didn't Seedsman win the Anzac day medal? don't think curran would.
He must have some strengths to win that, maybe bucks expects more?
Mark McGough won an ANZAC day medal - so what?
He can play a bit. 190 cm and fast. Consistency is his issue.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Statistically speaking, for us to improve, the priority needs to be:

1. Clearance players
2. Midfielders who can kick and give our fwds a chance.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
jaxons wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Word around is that our next years first rounder and possibly also the year afters first rounder are being talked about in the Irish Pubs on Cavill Avenue. Any connection Jaxons?
Most accurate assessment, impressive.
I don't think the rules permit you trading away two consecutive future years first rounders unless one of them is the current year. I could be wrong though.
Correct. I hear that the negotiation is already happening for next years trade period! Getting in early. May need to add to the offer once other bids are in. Although this years first rounder and next years first rounder could make it happen this trade period if both clubs come to an agreement.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
ripplug66
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:
jaxons wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Word around is that our next years first rounder and possibly also the year afters first rounder are being talked about in the Irish Pubs on Cavill Avenue. Any connection Jaxons?
I don't think the rules permit you trading away two consecutive future years first rounders unless one of them is the current year. I could be wrong though.
Correct. I hear that the negotiation is already happening for next years trade period! Getting in early. May need to add to the offer once other bids are in. Although this years first rounder and next years first rounder could make it happen this trade period if both clubs come to an agreement.

I'm confused. Can you trade other picks in the drafts after next year but not the first pick? I thought what ever pick you traded it could only be this year and next year but next year you cant trade a first round if you did this year. Does that make sense or is it completely wrong?

Playon
Club Player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-06/f ... strictions

AFL general counsel Andrew Dillon said the following rules would govern trading of future draft picks:

- Clubs can trade one year in the future only.

- Clubs must make at least two first-round selections in each four-year period. If they don't, they will face restrictions from trading any further first-round draft picks.

- If a club trades a future first-round selection, it may not trade any other future selection from that same draft. But if a club keeps its future first-round selection, it can trade any of its future selections from other rounds.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

More stats:

In 2015 we had the worst Kicking for goal conversion rate in the AFL.

We were the ONLY side to kick more points than goals for the season kicking 241.249.

League leaders Hawthorn kicked a very accurate 410.285

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

A huge NO to Seedsman

No interest in trading for a fringe player from a bottom 8 club

Freeman is a different kettle of fish given that he is a top 10 pick and his potential is currently untapped

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Playon
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:
saynta wrote:
jaxons wrote:
There's a possibility that we may use pick 5 in the Carlisle trade and get some change (note possibility )
If that eventuates there's no way possible that we can offer 2 first rounders for JOM as we have to use 2 first rounders in every 4 year period

It may come down to choice between the 2 ( we may get neither) and a further 12 months down the track is a looooong way away

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Id much rather JOM than Carlisles. By a looooooooong way.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:More stats:

We were the ONLY side to kick more points than goals for the season kicking 241.249.

If we converted at Hawthorn's approx 59% conversion rate then we would have scored 289.201. I reckon an extra 48 goals (about 2 per game) would help in at least some of our games.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:More stats:

If we converted at Hawthorn's approx 59% conversion rate then we would have scored 289.201. I reckon an extra 48 goals (about 2 per game) would help in at least some of our games.
No doubts.

Playon
Club Player

Brett Anderson ‏@BrettAndersonIF

Some Saturday #TradeSENtral musings: WB and STK interested in Port's Aaron Young. If Aish leaves BL, Hawthorn are firming as favorites.

Rosco
Club Player

Playon wrote: There's a possibility that we may use pick 5 in the Carlisle trade and get some change (note possibility )
If that eventuates there's no way possible that we can offer 2 first rounders for JOM as we have to use 2 first rounders in every 4 year period

It may come down to choice between the 2 ( we may get neither) and a further 12 months down the track is a looooong way away
Unless we get someone else's first round pick, say pick 18 somehow.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Freo are desperate for McCarthy Why don't we offer Pick 5 for Weller and their first and second.
Their first won't bag them McCarthy but our's probably would.
We can use their first on Carlilse and our second on Freeman.
We get Weller,Carlilse and Freeman for our first and second but gain another second rounder in the process.

footynut
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote:Freo are desperate for McCarthy Why don't we offer Pick 5 for Weller and their first and second.
We get Weller,Carlilse and Freeman for our first and second but gain another second rounder in the process.
That is a fantastic idea, let's get it done!! (However try and secure Freeman with their second round. Keep our own & hopefully draft someone like Collins, or another mid.

stkfc1
Club Player

footynut wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:Freo are desperate for McCarthy Why don't we offer Pick 5 for Weller and their first and second.

That is a fantastic idea, let's get it done!! (However try and secure Freeman with their second round. Keep our own & hopefully draft someone like Collins, or another mid.
Would be stoked if we pulled something like that off. It's those sort of plays that could speed up our list revival real quick. Get it done Saints! 8-)

coopergrech
Club Player

Definitely would do that great idea, something I was thinking off pass it on to the saints worth a try showing them or Bains on Fb etc.

quote="SinCitySainter"]Freo are desperate for McCarthy Why don't we offer Pick 5 for Weller and their first and second.
We get Weller,Carlilse and Freeman for our first and second but gain another second rounder in the process.[/quote]

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Chargers won another flag. This has to be a good portent for the Saints. The 'go home factor' for the next ten years should be seriously in our favour. Lots of local talent.

I like the sound of this kid. Its high time the Saints had another 'Cunningham'.
Chargers teammate David Cuningham put in a strong display through the midfield as well, winning 20 disposals and showing his dash and pace by sending the ball inside-50 on six occasions.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-09-27/o ... rand-final

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thats a good idea. I quite like it.

So we end up with

Weller, 16, 23, 41, 52

So 23 for Freeman.
IF we miss out on Carlisle we can use 16 on a kid in the draft.
So we end up with Weller + Freeman + either Carlisle or a good kid. Thumbs up from me.

santazzi
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

So we end up with

Weller, 16, 23, 41, 52

So 23 for Freeman.
So we end up with Weller + Freeman + either Carlisle or a good kid. Thumbs up from me.
How good/promising is Weller?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

santazzi wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

So we end up with

Weller, 16, 23, 41, 52

So 23 for Freeman.
How good/promising is Weller?
Going of drafting, better than Mav

You are garbage - Enough said
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

there is a write up in a QLD local paper about the Eric Hipwood kid as a saints prospect...
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/ne ... -/2787972/
Hipwood confirmed he had met with several AFL clubs, including the team he followed as a boy, St Kilda, but said he was trying not to think about it.
"I had an interview with them (St Kilda) and I was starstruck," he said.
and just a refresher 200cm quick and athletic can play key position forward and back but still fast enough to play on the wing...
did someone say the perfect modern day footballer?

Seeya
gringo
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:there is a write up in a QLD local paper about the Eric Hipwood kid as a saints prospect...
http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/ne ... -/2787972/
Hipwood confirmed he had met with several AFL clubs, including the team he followed as a boy, St Kilda, but said he was trying not to think about it.
"I had an interview with them (St Kilda) and I was starstruck," he said.
and just a refresher 200cm quick and athletic can play key position forward and back but still fast enough to play on the wing...
did someone say the perfect modern day footballer?
Or Rhys Stanley? Sorry, Brisbane will take him as an academy player you would think.