Fremantle Demands Two First Round Picks For Hill

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Fremantle Demands Two First Round Picks For Hill

I’d be interested to hear from ppl on this forum that have experience with sales

My understanding is if you’re wanting to sell, the strategy is to identify what an acceptable offer would be and to take it if it comes with a real emphasis to avoid the strategy of holding out/bluffing for a better offer that may not come.

Especially if you’re in a limited market... which in this case is true because Hill nominated us or at the very least Vic clubs which reduces their options

stkfc1
Club Player

damienc wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:04pm The Fremantle Dockers would have to be the most stupid football club in the AFL.

I thought the Bummers were bad but the Dockers are way worse.

They were offered pick 6 and knocked it back. And now they are going to be forced to accept much less. Morons.

Of course they can dig their heels in and say we are going to keep Hill. But that would be both idiotic and counterproductive.

Hill wants to leave. The Dockers have known this for months. And now they are going to turn around and make him play when he doesn't want to be there?

That is just not smart thinking.

I admire the fact that we didn't cave in to Fremantle's ludicrous demands. Two first rounds and a future third round. Who do they think they are?

There is not one AFL club who would pay that for Hill. And they know it.

It was a case of who blinked first. For once we didn't. Not only didn't we blink, we turned pick 6 into two first round picks.

Whatever happens I am backing our footy club 150 percent on this.

Go Sainters.
Dockers are looking like prized idiots now. They've totally shot themselves in the foot. Purple heads may roll because of this!!

On the other hand we look like a club very clear on what we're trying to achieve and we wont be bullied by anyone.

Its about damn time!

Proud Sainter today.

damienc
Club Player

skeptic wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:11pm I’d be interested to hear from ppl on this forum that have experience with sales

My understanding is if you’re wanting to sell, the strategy is to identify what an acceptable offer would be and to take it if it comes with a real emphasis to avoid the strategy of holding out/bluffing for a better offer that may not come.

Especially if you’re in a limited market... which in this case is true because Hill nominated us or at the very least Vic clubs which reduces their options
What is a thousand times worse, in my view, is the fact that Hill didn't just spring this on Fremantle.

The club has known for months maybe even six months, that he wanted to leave and in all likelihood come to the Saints.

I can't say for certain but I would think the Saints offer has been there for a while as well.

It was beholden on Freo, knowing one of their players wanted to leave, to craft a deal that works for all parties.

What we offered was a good deal, a fair and respectful deal but the Dockers got greedy.

They missed out on Kelly, saw what the Weagles paid to get him, and thought they could demand the same or similar, or more.

Big mistake. Stupid mistake. Whichever way you look at it.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:04pm The Fremantle Dockers would have to be the most stupid football club in the AFL.

I thought the Bummers were bad but the Dockers are way worse.

They were offered pick 6 and knocked it back. And now they are going to be forced to accept much less. Morons.

Of course they can dig their heels in and say we are going to keep Hill. But that would be both idiotic and counterproductive.

Hill wants to leave. The Dockers have known this for months. And now they are going to turn around and make him play when he doesn't want to be there?

That is just not smart thinking.

I admire the fact that we didn't cave in to Fremantle's ludicrous demands. Two first rounds and a future third round. Who do they think they are?

There is not one AFL club who would pay that for Hill. And they know it.

It was a case of who blinked first. For once we didn't. Not only didn't we blink, we turned pick 6 into two first round picks.

Whatever happens I am backing our footy club 150 percent on this.

Go Sainters.
Trade wrap with Mark McGowan and Riley Beveridge saying that no way Hill be playing for the Dockers next year, the Dockers have stuffed up and will now have to accept a lesser deal.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:21pm
skeptic wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:11pm I’d be interested to hear from ppl on this forum that have experience with sales

What is a thousand times worse, in my view, is the fact that Hill didn't just spring this on Fremantle.

The club has known for months maybe even six months, that he wanted to leave and in all likelihood come to the Saints.

I can't say for certain but I would think the Saints offer has been there for a while as well.

It was beholden on Freo, knowing one of their players wanted to leave, to craft a deal that works for all parties.

What we offered was a good deal, a fair and respectful deal but the Dockers got greedy.

They missed out on Kelly, saw what the Weagles paid to get him, and thought they could demand the same or similar, or more.

Big mistake. Stupid mistake. Whichever way you look at it.
Indeed. Hill is good but he ain’t no Kelly. Kelly was worth two top 5 picks IMO and WCE got away with a bargain.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Yep and Hill would be frustrated with Freo for not accepting pick 6. He wants out of Freo and we can offer the most money, we have shown him we were prepared to offer pick 6. Now they get 12

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

What I’m really liking is hearing we gave them an offer with a deadline and when it wasn’t met, we moved on to our next step. It seems we have an actual strategy and are not just reactive.

Jaz
Club Player

One key I think in negotiation is making the other side feel like they won. It's not to say they do but they feel like they got more out of you than you were prepared for. The key in this is, for example buying a house, that if your first offer is accepted it was likely to high, so you need to start low and negotiate up to an agreed value. In this example there would be a listing price (above what they think its worth) an initial offer (below what you think its worth) then you will meet in the middle somewhere. The really important thing though is these initial bids (anchors) need to be credible, if they are not then the other party can call the bluff and you loose your advantage.

This is where I think Freo went wrong (assuming they did ask for 2 x first rounders) in that this bid was not credible and we've called them out on that, basically saying we'll go do some other trades and you can come back to us when you are serious. The longer the trade period goes the more nervous Freo would get that they wont get a deal done and they will eventually accept a lower offer. It might be with another club, but i'd expect them to accept an offer less than what we expected to have to pay.

damienc
Club Player

Jaz wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:50pm

One key I think in negotiation is making the other side feel like they won. It's not to say they do but they feel like they got more out of you than you were prepared for. The key in this is, for example buying a house, that if your first offer is accepted it was likely to high, so you need to start low and negotiate up to an agreed value. In this example there would be a listing price (above what they think its worth) an initial offer (below what you think its worth) then you will meet in the middle somewhere. The really important thing though is these initial bids (anchors) need to be credible, if they are not then the other party can call the bluff and you loose your advantage.

This is where I think Freo went wrong (assuming they did ask for 2 x first rounders) in that this bid was not credible and we've called them out on that, basically saying we'll go do some other trades and you can come back to us when you are serious. The longer the trade period goes the more nervous Freo would get that they wont get a deal done and they will eventually accept a lower offer. It might be with another club, but i'd expect them to accept an offer less than what we expected to have to pay.
The key here is that Hill has requested a trade to the Saints.

He doesn't want to go to another club.

So Freo knows, whatever happens, it will have to deal with St Kilda.

That is why they are so stupid.

damienc
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:43pm What I’m really liking is hearing we gave them an offer with a deadline and when it wasn’t met, we moved on to our next step. It seems we have an actual strategy and are not just reactive.
Yes to all that you said. We have a lot of trades to make happen and a lot of balls in the air at the one time.

The club is not letting the grass grow. They are moving forward whatever happens.

Now Freo has to play catch up.

Thanks to the pick swap, we have currency to get Howard to the club and when we complete deals for Jack and Brucey even more.

Don't really want either of them to go but have to accept reality.

Like you, I am liking how we are going about it.

SMS
Club Player

6, future second (28) AND Acres a 23yo WA 190cm mid who could be anything, and they say NO???

idiots. absolute idiots.

Why would we offer acres?? thats WAY OVERS!! thabk you bell for not allowing us to be raped.

12 is fair. We will probably give 12 and Acres now. I hope we say 12 or gagf!

12 and Acres MAXIMUM. absolute MAXIMUM. Id say 12 acres and get back a 2020 4th round

saint-stu
Club Player

SMS wrote:6, future second (28) AND Acres a 23yo WA 190cm mid who could be anything, and they say NO???

idiots. absolute idiots.

Why would we offer acres?? thats WAY OVERS!! thabk you bell for not allowing us to be raped.

12 is fair. We will probably give 12 and Acres now. I hope we say 12 or gagf!

12 and Acres MAXIMUM. absolute MAXIMUM. Id say 12 acres and get back a 2020 4th round
I have never been convinced about Acres. He has shown nothing but glimpses for many years and at 23 should be a consistent performer.

1ac46a38
vacuous space
SS Life Member

I'd caution against getting too worked up about anything being reported by the football media. Given the way trade week has unfolded thus far, I'm not sure there's any footy journo with their finger on the pulse. Nobody had our trade with GWS. The initial source for the 'Freo wants 2 firsts, plus' seemed to be Damian Barrett, of all people. I'd say the probability is high that Barrett's just trolling to fill air space on no-trade radio. Others may be piling on. I'll believe the trade is dead when one or more of the parties involved come out and say it's dead, or the deadline passes.

Freo need points for an academy bid on Liam Henry and the GWS trade netted us points. It would not surprise me at all if we did the pick split with the full knowledge and approval of Freo. Pick 6 would likely have got in front of any bid, but it's not clear that Freo would want to do that. It does not seem that a lot of clubs are valuing this year's top-ten very highly. It's entirely possible that what Freo is actually after is a raft of later picks that allow them to match a bid for Henry and then give them the flexibility to move back up after a bid or trade into next year or even just to use the picks.

Lethlean pointed out on day one that very few players get traded straight up for a single pick. We came into this trade period missing our second- and third-round picks. Freo were missing their third- and fourth-round picks. Both teams are trying to juggle a number of trades. The process was always going to be more complicated than was being reported in the lead-up to trade week. If the trade falls through I might take a few cheap shots at Bell's diminutive stature. I've got a few choice nicknames for him lined up for him as well. I'd hate to waste that energy only to have the trade go through with relatively favourable terms. You really have to pace yourself in this whirlwind of trade activity.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Peanut Farm
Club Player

Where's Jack Newnes in all of this, will anyone take him?

damienc
Club Player

Peanut Farm wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:28pm Where's Jack Newnes in all of this, will anyone take him?
Jack should take the two years the Saints offered him.

It is the best deal he is going to get.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Peanut Farm wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:28pm Where's Jack Newnes in all of this, will anyone take him?
steak knives.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SMS
Club Player

we better not give up 12 AND 2020 2nd round AND Acres

We need to teach bellend a lesson.

12 only.

They will fold. Dont worry they will fold. OR they will have pissed off a main player manager AND are then stuck paying massive $$$ for a pissed off player that will probably claim mental illness. and in the end?? will have nothing.

f*** YOU FREO YOU MORONS

ace
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 3:38pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 3:34pm I think Freo have backed themself into a corner now. No one else will offer two first round picks for hill. I'd say hold the line now as hill will not want to go back to Freo after this which means Freo will take best option available or have a player there next year who will not give 100% and thus be worth less next year.
Smart play saints and if we miss out that's ok to as the rest of players we are after just got alot easier to acquire
Peter Bell is presently rocking back and forth in the corner. Imagine having pick 6 (which everyone in the industry thinks is fair or slightly overs) on your desk and nek minnit - watching it walk out the door? Hill's Mrs will be going troppo I'd expect - doesn't exactly make for a very happy player / club relationship.
Mrs Bell "Peter don't answer the door, Peter don't answer your phone, I am sure it is the CEO, his wife gave me a heads up. He is coming over to give you the sack for being a Ding Dong."
"Peter stay away from the windows, there's a muscle bound indigenous guy covered in tattoos in our backyard with a machette. I can't make out who it is because he is wearing a balaclava."

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 11:46pm
Saintmatt wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 3:38pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 3:34pm I think Freo have backed themself into a corner now. No one else will offer two first round picks for hill. I'd say hold the line now as hill will not want to go back to Freo after this which means Freo will take best option available or have a player there next year who will not give 100% and thus be worth less next year.
Smart play saints and if we miss out that's ok to as the rest of players we are after just got alot easier to acquire
Peter Bell is presently rocking back and forth in the corner. Imagine having pick 6 (which everyone in the industry thinks is fair or slightly overs) on your desk and nek minnit - watching it walk out the door? Hill's Mrs will be going troppo I'd expect - doesn't exactly make for a very happy player / club relationship.
Mrs Bell "Peter don't answer the door, Peter don't answer your phone, I am sure it is the CEO, his wife gave me a heads up. He is coming over to give you the sack for being a Ding Dong."
"Peter stay away from the windows, there's a muscle bound indigenous guy covered in tattoos in our backyard with a machette. I can't make out who it is because he is wearing a balaclava."
North might give him a job. They have nothing to lose.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:02pm
st.byron wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:43pm What I’m really liking is hearing we gave them an offer with a deadline and when it wasn’t met, we moved on to our next step. It seems we have an actual strategy and are not just reactive.
Yes to all that you said. We have a lot of trades to make happen and a lot of balls in the air at the one time.

The club is not letting the grass grow. They are moving forward whatever happens.

Now Freo has to play catch up.

Thanks to the pick swap, we have currency to get Howard to the club and when we complete deals for Jack and Brucey even more.

Don't really want either of them to go but have to accept reality.

Like you, I am liking how we are going about it.
I’m quite liking SMS’s suggestion of 13 and 32 from the Dogs for 18 and Josh Bruce. That would value Bruce at around pick 23. More importantly though, it splits another of our picks into two that can both be used in other trades.

suss
Club Player

vacuous space wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 10:26pm I'd caution against getting too worked up about anything being reported by the football media. Given the way trade week has unfolded thus far, I'm not sure there's any footy journo with their finger on the pulse. Nobody had our trade with GWS. The initial source for the 'Freo wants 2 firsts, plus' seemed to be Damian Barrett, of all people. I'd say the probability is high that Barrett's just trolling to fill air space on no-trade radio. Others may be piling on. I'll believe the trade is dead when one or more of the parties involved come out and say it's dead, or the deadline passes.

Freo need points for an academy bid on Liam Henry and the GWS trade netted us points. It would not surprise me at all if we did the pick split with the full knowledge and approval of Freo. Pick 6 would likely have got in front of any bid, but it's not clear that Freo would want to do that. It does not seem that a lot of clubs are valuing this year's top-ten very highly. It's entirely possible that what Freo is actually after is a raft of later picks that allow them to match a bid for Henry and then give them the flexibility to move back up after a bid or trade into next year or even just to use the picks.

Lethlean pointed out on day one that very few players get traded straight up for a single pick. We came into this trade period missing our second- and third-round picks. Freo were missing their third- and fourth-round picks. Both teams are trying to juggle a number of trades. The process was always going to be more complicated than was being reported in the lead-up to trade week. If the trade falls through I might take a few cheap shots at Bell's diminutive stature. I've got a few choice nicknames for him lined up for him as well. I'd hate to waste that energy only to have the trade go through with relatively favourable terms. You really have to pace yourself in this whirlwind of trade activity.
Great post. It wouldn’t surprise me me though if Bell asked for 6 and next years first to give him two first rounders.

I can’t believe how badly Lethlean & Co pantsed Bell. Gold.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

It is also possible, not very palatable, but possible, that Hill finishes up at another Melbourne club. Dees, Hawks for example.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote: Fri 11 Oct 2019 7:59am It is also possible, not very palatable, but possible, that Hill finishes up at another Melbourne club. Dees, Hawks for example.
If the price we have to pay for him is too much (by our reckoning) then so be it.
Whilst I see him as being a fantastic addition to our Club/Team, his cost may be too great which means we have to pass on him.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

damienc wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:53pm
Jaz wrote: Thu 10 Oct 2019 9:50pm

The key here is that Hill has requested a trade to the Saints.

He doesn't want to go to another club.

So Freo knows, whatever happens, it will have to deal with St Kilda.

That is why they are so stupid.
This. Very much this. This is not like a standard business negotiation, there is a VERY limited pool of buyers, and with the present trend of players "nominating" a destination club, you are basically trying to negotiate the best outcome with a single (albeit motivated) buyer, so the key here is not to mock the buyer with ridiculous opening gambits that serve no purpose other than to highlight the very likely inadequate nature of your, ummmm, manhood...…..

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
DJ Higgins
Club Player

One of the most important things about deals is being able to walk away even if you don't get what you want. And we did. Great work. Yes we may not get hill but no one else will and we now have more picks for other players.

I'd say offer Freo pick 12 and acres for hill now and possibly a late pick as well. No one else will offer them squat now and they look stupid if the knocked back pick 6 from us to take pick 10 from someone else