Doggies offer 3 to 4 year deal for Bruce

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Re: Doggies offer 3 to 4 year deal for Bruce

36 goals at a 1.6gpg average is better than Ryder’s putrid Forward work

Ryder ain’t even a decent Ruckman anymore, he was running around in the SANFL this season.

And clearly Marshall should be in the ruck

realdeal
Club Player

None of the reports ive read even mention what we might get for him.. Surely that is what decides if we even make a deal.

Dofs can offer him 15 years but if we dont get value he stays a Saint.

It 'might' happen but as of now its just rumour and scuttlebutt social media rubbish.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 12:07am
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:15pm
saintbob wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 10:32pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 9:59pm
saintbob wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 8:28pm Bruce will kick 60-70 goals with the delivery he’ll get from the Doggies mids.

Early 2nd round pick is probably the best we can hope for IMHO, anything less I’d say no deal.
Jeremy Cameron would be very happy Bruce left GWS then. He couldn't kick 70 this year.
Really, I don’t believe I compared him to Cameron but what ever rocks your boat.

I’m sure Cameron would’ve kicked 70+ had GWS
had all their best mids available all year.
You didn't compare him to Cameron. You elevated him to elite status with a prediction of 70 goals via the Bulldog mids. In the last 6 years only Josh Kennedy has kicked 70 or more goals. Bruce has managed 159 from 106 games. Seriously.
How many goals would these elite forwards you mention kick with the silver service Bruce has had to contend with for the last 3-4 years?

Geez let me think.......... I’d say they’d be on par.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
Ok. In 2015, he kicked 50. Check out his midfield. Where did that form go. It left when he became the prime target. This year in his prime, he battled valiantly but he will play on the same players no matter where he goes. Didn't we beat the Bulldogs this year?

B.M
Saintsational Legend

The dogs had 2 AA Mids this season and will be playing finals.

We beat them, but overall they are a fair bit better, especially through the middle

Bruce will thrive there

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 8:47am The dogs had 2 AA Mids this season and will be playing finals.

We beat them, but overall they are a fair bit better, especially through the middle

Bruce will thrive there
I guess you're replying to CQ and if so you failed to address the point they made.

Bruce may or may not thrive, either way I do not see him kicking these 70+ goals people suddenly believe he's capable of. He will thrive because they continue to win games on the back of a AA midfield.

We keep him, bank our 36 goals for 2020 and scratch our heads why we weren't able to significantly change our list to get us out of the bottom six. Then realise our midfield is so poor it has made Brad Hill look slow.

Club Player

There has to be another piece to this.
Trading out Bruce would leave our forward line with only Membrey and King (assuming he is fit) as talls.
Ryder isn’t a forward so not including him.
We were lacking a 3rd tall this year without McCartin so doesn’t make any sense to trade one out.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 8:47am The dogs had 2 AA Mids this season and will be playing finals.

Bruce will thrive there
Apparently so, he will double his career goal tally in 2 years and become their 3rd AA.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 9:21pm Trade Carlisle for top MIDS - we have a Carlisle replacement in Battle. Keep Bruce - top mids will be able to feed to him and others with some efficiency/effectiveness for a change.
Battle's not tall enough. I agree about Bruce, but we can't expect to not be 'picked off' and at the same time go looking at all other teams players. Atleast now we have some upper hand on Bruce

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

barneyboyz wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 9:39am
Junction Oval wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 9:21pm Trade Carlisle for top MIDS - we have a Carlisle replacement in Battle. Keep Bruce - top mids will be able to feed to him and others with some efficiency/effectiveness for a change.
Battle's not tall enough. I agree about Bruce, but we can't expect to not be 'picked off' and at the same time go looking at all other teams players. Atleast now we have some upper hand on Bruce
It’s not so much upper hand as complete control. He’s a contracted player. If they want him, they can pay on our terms or no deal.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 8:28pm Bruce will kick 60-70 goals with the delivery he’ll get from the Doggies mids.

Early 2nd round pick is probably the best we can hope for IMHO, anything less I’d say no deal.
So he'll win the Coleman at the Doggies?? I don't think so

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 11:21am

So he'll win the Coleman at the Doggies?? I don't think so
Oh, he is the Dogs Lockett. He will play another 100 and kick at least 300 goals.

johnnyrayflamingo
Club Player

If he leaves we must demand something very good.

1st round pick or player of equal quality!

😎
ace
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 7:12pm They have Schache and Norton and are smart enough to realise Bruce will do the grunt work and allow them to get off the chain.

We have an undersized Membrey a broken down McCartin and a kid who is 202cm 90kg ringing wet

Smart by the dogs

Dumb by us
Offer the Doggies, McCartin as a freebie.
Let him clog their list.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
outside66
Club Player

If the dogs are going hard at Martin then that would surely be their first pick this year off the table. What would a "satisfying" trade for Bruce look like?

saintbob
SS Life Member

Bruce will thrive there
Correct

Laurie
Club Player

I seriously am at a loss why our list management what consider trading Bruce,
We could have a potentially good forward line with King Bruce and Membery however no lets trade Bruce and have an undersized Membery and King take the no 1 and no 2 defenders from the opposition teams.
Bruce would have certainly used his bulk and size and help King until his body matures.

If the trade happens i do hope Bruce goes on to help the doggies make finals as i think he will certainly bring another 30 plus goals to their team in the way they deliver the ball to the forward line.

List management have we targeted or have someone on our radar who is injured and nearing 30YO slow plays in the VFL and lack skills i am sure we can find him a home.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I know what you’re saying

It’s a joke

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Problem is that to get talent in you have to let talent go. So many posts have us giving away poor players and getting high picks or better players back. It's silly. Bruce will hurt to lose but we will get over it and quite quickly if king comes good quickly.
Steven out will be either first rounder from cats which could be pick 19 so it might be second round pick and a player, not sure why constable is so highly regarded but if he is quick with decent skills then get him.

Really hoping something happens thus year, not all talk not much action like previous years
Last edited by DJ Higgins on Thu 05 Sep 2019 4:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viscount Jeremiah
Club Player

I don’t want to lose Juice but if we believe King is our future then I don’t see how Bruce fits into the team long term.

diddley
Club Player

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 4:01pm Another small forward in hill means lonie is tradable, yes he is playing well but who else has value that we can afford to lose.
Hill is not a small forward. He is a winger / outside midfielder.

DJ Higgins
Club Player

diddley wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 4:25pm
DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 4:01pm Another small forward in hill means lonie is tradable, yes he is playing well but who else has value that we can afford to lose.
Hill is not a small forward. He is a winger / outside midfielder.
Apologises. You are right. I was thinking of multiple things when I typed my response

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 4:01pm Problem is that to get talent in you have to let talent go. So many posts have us giving away poor players and getting high picks or better players back. It's silly. Bruce will hurt to lose but we will get over it and quite quickly if king comes good quickly.
Steven out will be either first rounder from cats which could be pick 19 so it might be second round pick and a player, not sure why constable is so highly regarded but if he is quick with decent skills then get him.

Really hoping something happens thus year, not all talk not much action like previous years
I agree 100%. We've been linked with a lot of players. If we want to get someone like Hill, and even Jones, we'll need to give up something.
We can't keep going with the same lost and expect things to change. As much as I don't want to lose Bruce, if it helps to reshape the list for the better I can live with it.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

degruch wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 7:40pm
st.byron wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 7:28pm What do they have to offer in return?

Pick in the mid teens maybe. Do they have a suitable player we might want whom they’ll trade? What would be a good value deal for Josh? I hope he stays, but we have to give to get.
A 50 goal a year forward? Dogs first pick or tell your story walking, surely?

I hope this goes nowhere to be honest.
And also - remember that Bruce is a 50 goal a year KF playing in front of the worst midfield in the modern history of the AFL. Can you imagine how good Bruce would be with it being put lace out - to his advantage - by the likes of Bont, Dunkley, McCrae, Smith and Hunter??!?!?

FFS - he'd be a seriously damaging forward. Meanwhile - we'll presumably plod along with fvcking Seb Ross and Dunstan kicking mung floating torps over our blokes' heads for the forseeable.

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

DJ Higgins wrote: Thu 05 Sep 2019 4:01pm Problem is that to get talent in you have to let talent go. So many posts have us giving away poor players and getting high picks or better players back. It's silly. Bruce will hurt to lose but we will get over it and quite quickly if king comes good quickly.

This is entirely true. You don't get diamonds in exchange for pebbles. The fact is, so very few of the players on our list have any trade currency whatsoever. In an ideal world - I'd trade of ALL of the ball butchers in our side in one fell swoop. The problem is - we know who they are and so too do the other List Managers. There seems to be some thought that GCS will just automatically take Newnes? Why? Because he's a bit older. But he's a crap footballer. Same with Carlilse to a lesser extent. As usual - I'll cop it for suggesting Ross get the heave ho. He wouldn't get game in any top 8 midfield and the Melb/Hawks games aside - he's shown that his on-field leadership isn't exactly a tour de force either.

Bruce is one of the few players we have with currency. Personally - I'd love to keep him for a couple of years to stop M King from being buffeted. But - you can't fit King, Membrey, Bruce and Marshall/Ryder all in the one forward line.

All I hope for is that whichever club Josh goes to ... gets royally bent over by us in the process. You want; you pay (overs) ....

Go you red, black & white warriors
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Why is everyone upset about our list management?

My understanding is the Dogs have made Bruce an offer he probably can't refuse.

I've also heard they've made us an offer we can't refuse. I don't know what that offer is!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell