Robert Harvey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Robert Harvey

I absolutely love Rob but I feel right now, Brett is the perfect guy for this playing group and the club. Looking in from afar, there seems to be really good mojo brewing down on Linton St at the moment... don’t f**k with that!

ace
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 4:54pm I know Ratten has done well in taking over the team but is it a breath of fresh air type of thing?

Ratten had his go at senior coaching with a 50% win/loss record.
Brad Scott had his go at senior coaching with a 50% win/loss record.

If either of those two get the job then we can kiss Robert Harvey goodbye forever. I would just hate to see Banger get a senior gig elsewhere and go really well.

It's now or never (as the song says) and, from what Buckley has said, Banger would be a great senior coach.
Who gave us the reference for Lovett.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Why does everyone think things are going so well under Ratten? Beyond the honeymoon effect all that's happened is that we've won a couple of games that we expected to win - the last one to Freo at home by the skin of our teeth (actually a less impressive result than when we played them the first time on their deck and lost by 4 or 5) and then we've lost the only game that mattered, to Adelaide. Is this assessment of Ratten being a genius coach based on the "great vibe" around the club? Cos we can hire clowns for that. (Come to think of it, that's what we usually do!)

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

freely wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 3:28pm Why does everyone think things are going so well under Ratten? Beyond the honeymoon effect all that's happened is that we've won a couple of games that we expected to win - the last one to Freo at home by the skin of our teeth (actually a less impressive result than when we played them the first time on their deck and lost by 4 or 5) and then we've lost the only game that mattered, to Adelaide. Is this assessment of Ratten being a genius coach based on the "great vibe" around the club? Cos we can hire clowns for that. (Come to think of it, that's what we usually do!)
It's a very small sample size, to just pick a few games like the Dockers and Crows.
More important to look long term, at what experience he has-
he coached Carlton, was dumped for Malthouse, worked under Clarkson, developed and learned a lot,
and is ready for another crack.
The interview panel will be tasked with being objective and following a process.

However- in Perth, we had a very poor start and were just playing catch-up all day.
This time, we lost Coffield, but we stayed in touch and, while some may say we were lucky,
you make your own luck sometimes.

The Crows loss was expected (by me and others) simply by weight of numbers and their greater experience
across the board, and their higher level of skills too.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 3:28pm Why does everyone think things are going so well under Ratten? Beyond the honeymoon effect all that's happened is that we've won a couple of games that we expected to win - the last one to Freo at home by the skin of our teeth (actually a less impressive result than when we played them the first time on their deck and lost by 4 or 5) and then we've lost the only game that mattered, to Adelaide. Is this assessment of Ratten being a genius coach based on the "great vibe" around the club? Cos we can hire clowns for that. (Come to think of it, that's what we usually do!)
We weren't favourites against the Bulldogs; both with the expert tipsters and the betting market.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Doesn’t really matter what we think, it’s all just speculation on a footy forum. However, internally, I doubt very much they’ve only been looking at his performance around the club for the last 4 weeks. They asked him to apply almost immediately.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Who said he’s a genius coach?

What he does have going for him is a certain number of runs on the board at Carlton. Won more than he lost, which is nothing to be sneezed at.

Also seems a good communicator and has a track record of getting the best out of his players.

Banger, on the other hand, is an unknown quantity as a senior coach. As a player he led by example. He wouldn’t be able to do that now.

Does he have the communication skills? Is he tough enough? Can he make the hard calls? Is he bright enough? Will they play for him?

My gut feeling on this - and I have been wrong before - is that Harvs, one of the greatest players I’ve seen, is more suited to a assistant role. That’s just from a distance.

I don’t know the man personally of course. But that is my impression.

This is a critical decision for the club. Do we really want to take a punt on an untried assistant because he’s a former champion player?
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 14 Aug 2019 5:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote: Tue 13 Aug 2019 8:55pm An insider told me a couple of months ago that Banger was a bigger risk than Ratts, but he had an upside in that he would attract huge membership numbers with a resultant financial gain.
That's probably quite true, but the bump in membership no matter how substantial will be just that, a temporary bump. If he fails as a Coach, the consequences will overcome that initial bump.

They just need the best person they can get, far more important than marketing considerations.

Trixilver
Club Player

Either way I don't mind

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm not against Ratts coaching next year, but why do ppl keep referring to his coaching record at the blues as a selling point?? They have been a basket case of a club for nearly 20 years and were a bit more competitive when he coached them. Big deal. They had more # 1 draft picks and early rounders than we did when he coached. Maybe GT should apply again as well if that's the criteria. I'm not saying he's a poor coach but I just reckon some folks are jumping the gun a bit on him.

Other than the Dogs game (which was a definite improvement on anything we'd produced this year) I've not noticed anything significantly better so far in the way we've been playing. The back half of the year was always going to be easier than the front half with our fixture, and he has had the luxury of having Carlisle, Hanneberry and Steven available at different times against weak opposition. We still haven't beaten anyone in the 8.

I know it's a forum and it's fun to speculate but I don't reckon any of us would have the first clue as to who would make a good coach. For mine I like the look of Lenny Hayes and Michael Voss. For all I know though, Harves blows them all out of the water and will be a gun.

If we end up with Ratts I won't be displeased either. Just gotta hope that the club knows what it's doing - not a great track record in recent times unfortunately

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 6:07pm I'm not against Ratts coaching next year, but why do ppl keep referring to his coaching record at the blues as a selling point?? They have been a basket case of a club for nearly 20 years and were a bit more competitive when he coached them. Big deal. They had more # 1 draft picks and early rounders than we did when he coached. Maybe GT should apply again as well if that's the criteria. I'm not saying he's a poor coach but I just reckon some folks are jumping the gun a bit on him.

Other than the Dogs game (which was a definite improvement on anything we'd produced this year) I've not noticed anything significantly better so far in the way we've been playing. The back half of the year was always going to be easier than the front half with our fixture, and he has had the luxury of having Carlisle, Hanneberry and Steven available at different times against weak opposition. We still haven't beaten anyone in the 8.

I know it's a forum and it's fun to speculate but I don't reckon any of us would have the first clue as to who would make a good coach. For mine I like the look of Lenny Hayes and Michael Voss. For all I know though, Harves blows them all out of the water and will be a gun.

If we end up with Ratts I won't be displeased either. Just gotta hope that the club knows what it's doing - not a great track record in recent times unfortunately
He won more than he lost at a basket case club. That’s something of an achievement. Put his record against Richo’s for example. What was he? Thirty-odd per cent.

Anyway, he’s got a coaching record as good as anyone else who has put his hand up. Including Harvey, who has not coached

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Would Harves be interested in the Director of Coaching role, working with Ratten?? Or the other way around??

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Ratten appears to be a better communicator than Harves to the media, this is unrelated to this ability with the players, and unrelated to any strategic nouse or ability to judge his players. My crystal ball is very foggy about the future, bring out the taro cards!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Give Harvey the mids.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Rocket
Club Player

Agree with post above that talks about what has really changed under Ratten.

1. yes definitely handles press better

2. THe biggest recurring issue is the delivery from wing to CHF and then from CHF to full forward. I reckon there was 15 times against Freo where we butchered or bombed the ball. We miss so many targets. The endeavour and willingness can’t be questioned; this part of our game is atrocious. Lack of skill mainly.

3. Backline. Strongly believe we give forwards too much space. 3-5 metres and regularly get caught out. Think back to our best recent defenders Baker, Max, Fisher, Dempster. All man first then attack. Played ultra tight.

I think we need a coach who can get a better defensive unit happening. Perhaps beyond Ratten control to change in five games but these are areas of major weakness.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Why would Harvey leave the Pies for anything other than a main coaching position...

Would be an incredible step back to go from assistant to director of coaching or sideways to an assistant at a club that doesn’t want to give you the main gig.

Silliness

loris
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 1:06am The thing that bothers me is the stigma...

If we pick Rob Harvey, there will always be this air of whether or not it was an emotional decision regardless of how qualified he is.

I don’t want that. It’s hard enough making it as a coach without that hanging over your head from day one

All that said, I’d support Harvey through and through if he got the job.
Skeptic, I think Harves has the intestinal fortitude and right attitude to overcome such a stigma. Remember in his Brownlow years. Winning his first Brownlow, media and supporters from other clubs said he was only lucky to get the Brownlow. The Footscray player gained more votes than Harves, and that he Footscray player (Chris Grant????) had been unjustly disqualified & suspended during the season on a very iffy charge.
Even in his humble acceptance speech Robert Harvey said it was a hollow victory for him and he didn’t feel a worthy winner because of Grant’s ineligibility.
What did our Harvey go on and do? Put that determined little heart & soul of his in and play better and was a clear Brownlow winner the next year.

He wouldn’t bow down to any stigma as a young man, and I’m sure he’s grown in confidence in his abilities as he’s aged, even in the field of coaching.

However I’m torn also. Ratten or Harvey either/either ?

I’d love to have Ratten in the Director of Coaching role ( if he’d agree to that). Ratten mentoring Harvey in the Senior Coaching role would be my wish. Alas my wishes won’t sway the panel’s decision.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We have had the 2 captain scenario before ............. why not the 2 coach scenario?

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 12:22am
skeptic wrote: Wed 14 Aug 2019 1:06am The thing that bothers me is the stigma...

If we pick Rob Harvey, there will always be this air of whether or not it was an emotional decision regardless of how qualified he is.

I don’t want that. It’s hard enough making it as a coach without that hanging over your head from day one

All that said, I’d support Harvey through and through if he got the job.
Skeptic, I think Harves has the intestinal fortitude and right attitude to overcome such a stigma. Remember in his Brownlow years. Winning his first Brownlow, media and supporters from other clubs said he was only lucky to get the Brownlow. The Footscray player gained more votes than Harves, and that he Footscray player (Chris Grant????) had been unjustly disqualified & suspended during the season on a very iffy charge.
Even in his humble acceptance speech Robert Harvey said it was a hollow victory for him and he didn’t feel a worthy winner because of Grant’s ineligibility.
What did our Harvey go on and do? Put that determined little heart & soul of his in and play better and was a clear Brownlow winner the next year.

He wouldn’t bow down to any stigma as a young man, and I’m sure he’s grown in confidence in his abilities as he’s aged, even in the field of coaching.

However I’m torn also. Ratten or Harvey either/either ?

I’d love to have Ratten in the Director of Coaching role ( if he’d agree to that). Ratten mentoring Harvey in the Senior Coaching role would be my wish. Alas my wishes won’t sway the panel’s decision.
Chris Grant.. Pfff

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Harvey definitely deserved the Brownlow in 97, he was the best player in the AFL that year

Won the
AFLPA MVP
Herald Sun player of the year
ABC footballer of the year

Grant was very good, Harvey was great. Harvey just had a few more stealing votes off him
Burke, Everett, Loewe etc..

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 15 Aug 2019 10:12am Harvey definitely deserved the Brownlow in 97, he was the best player in the AFL that year

Won the
AFLPA MVP
Herald Sun player of the year
ABC footballer of the year

Grant was very good, Harvey was great. Harvey just had a few more stealing votes off him
Burke, Everett, Loewe etc..
Yep.

Anyway Grant would cop weeks these days for his actions. Definitely deserved to be rubbed out. Brownlow is for FAIREST and best,

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

How many caretakers have been appointed against the general emotional tide out in the public? Very few I would say. In fact it think our GT is one of the few examples, and his appointment raised eyebrows. Yet GT was very successful. Many are not They say they will use objectivity and try as they might they’re human and know the members certainly are. I think this forces them to mitigate against the risk of fallout and err on the side of caution, so Ratts is a shoe-in, rightly or not. I hope Harves does not apply because if he does, and then gets the knock-back, what are the chances he’ll ever get involved with us again? I hope he reads the wind and either, a) stays at Collingwood and waits to pounce should Ratts quit or be fired, or b) maybe consider coming to us as an assistant under Ratts.

Whatever you do Harves,I. ’d say, don’t apply this time. We love you and want you and they will burn you.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

What will be, will be.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Doesn’t matter who gets the job. This forum will turn on them in three years anyway!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
The Recruit
Club Player

Relationships
He is relatable to all walks of life young, older
Know his stuff through Carlton and then at Hawks

His interview has been almost 12months worth
He is exactly what we need with the list we have