Rob Harvey in the running for head coach role

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rob Harvey in the running for head coach role

Legendary wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 10:26am
saintsRrising wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 10:17am
HighettMan wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 10:17pm and his goal kicking was poor so we will still bomb it into the forward line.
How quickly people forget. Harvey became the master of the 30 m pass to the lead up forward or player in space in our forward line.

You hear the term now of lower the eyes. Players like Banger would have inspired that term.
Agree. If Harvey could coach every player in our team to deliver the ball inside 50m as well as he did as a player, Bruce and King will each kick 10 goals per week.

Tony Lockett said that Harvey was the best kick-to-lead player he ever played with. That says enough...
Plugger also told me that banger was the best player he had ever seen play the game.

HighettMan
Club Player

HighettMan wrote: Wed 17 Jul 2019 10:17pm and his goal kicking was poor so we will still bomb it into the forward line.
How quickly people forget. Harvey became the master of the 30 m pass to the lead up forward or player in space in our forward line.

You hear the term now of lower the eyes. Players like Banger would have inspired that term.
Haven't forgotten at all, that's exactly how I remember one of his strengths. My point being he wasn't known as being a long kick in actual fact his range was about 30 to 35 but deadly accurate within his range. One of the knocks on him was he didn't, or couldn't find the goals enough, was that becuse he played in teams with two of the greatest forwards the club has produced and demanded he find thier chests before finding a goal for himself. Which probably also meant said forwards wouldn't allow him to get closer than 40m to 50m from the goal so we was rarely close enough to have a shot.

Have the courage to call out r ACE ism
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

This look familiar? https://www.change.org/p/north-melbourn ... dit_var=v3

Roos fans frustrated with Scott. Eerily similar to our frustrations.

Does anyone else get a hunch that Scott won’t be bored because of the negativity around him, a) early exit, b) successors success, c) link to Xavier college mate, d) media spin of boat race, and so conversely Ratten and Harvey get an artificial elevation , so much so I suspect Ratten may now be a chance for the Carlton full time gig from 2020. I wonder how Kenerhan and co. like him

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

This look familiar? https://www.change.org/p/north-melbourn ... dit_var=v3

Does anyone else get a hunch that Scott won’t be hired by us now because of the negativity around him, a) early exit, b) successors success, c) link to Xavier college mate, d) media spin of boat race, and so conversely Ratten and Harvey get an artificial elevation , so much so I suspect Ratten may now be a chance for the Carlton full time gig from 2020. I wonder how Kenerhan and co. like him

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 2:54pm This look familiar? https://www.change.org/p/north-melbourn ... dit_var=v3

Does anyone else get a hunch that Scott won’t be bored because of the negativity around him, a) early exit, b) successors success, c) link to Xavier college mate, d) media spin of boat race, and so conversely Ratten and Harvey get an artificial elevation , so much so I suspect Ratten may now be a chance for the Carlton full time gig from 2020. I wonder how Kenerhan and co. like him
Sounds like a loser and a real turd.

"Removal of Brad Scott as coach of North Melbourne
Tim D started this petition to CEO North Melbourne Football Club

To all the loyal supporters, followers and members of our great football club North Melbourne.

The time is now ripe for the board to stand up and take notice of the overwhelming belief that a monumental change is required.

Before expanding on my reasons for this petition, I would like to thank Brad for his service and loyalty to the club.

Mr. Scott has been at the club for ten seasons now. Granted he has lead to us to final campaigns culminating in back to back Preliminary Finals.

He now has the worst record of any established AFL coach. He has coached the second most games in the history of the league without making a Grand Final appearance.

We keep hearing the constant repeated cliches and excuses from Mr. Scott but nothing appears to change.

Week in and week out, he is constantly out coached. His blatant refusal to adopt a game plan and/or secondary game plan of significance is hampering the forward progression of the club.

His favouritism of certain players who are quite clearly not up to the standard required of a professional footballer at the elite level.

He has no reasonable excuse for how poor this season has started. He and the club actively sought out and got the players needed. There is nothing apart from his coaching style which is holding us back. How many more rebuild or resets must we have before something goes right?

These reasons are uttered most frequently! I've heard them spoken about by the clubs faithful members and supporters all too often!

Our loss against Essendon was the catalyst for change to occur at the club! We must make the club aware of how were are feeling!

Direct action must be undertaken or else I fear we, the football club, will not take advantage of the list of players we have on the list."

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

HighettMan wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 1:40pm

Haven't forgotten at all, that's exactly how I remember one of his strengths. My point being he wasn't known as being a long kick in actual fact his range was about 30 to 35 but deadly accurate within his range. One of the knocks on him was he didn't, or couldn't find the goals enough, was that becuse he played in teams with two of the greatest forwards the club has produced and demanded he find thier chests before finding a goal for himself. Which probably also meant said forwards wouldn't allow him to get closer than 40m to 50m from the goal so we was rarely close enough to have a shot.

All of which has nothing at all to do with your baseless claim that if coach that he would have his players bomb it into the forward line.

Indeed my point is that he is already more than aware of the benefits of not bombing.

Harvey was smart enough to play to his strengths. With coaches what I would like is for is a coach that can mould his team to make the most of the advantages that they have.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
HighettMan
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 4:44pm
HighettMan wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 1:40pm

All of which has nothing at all to do with your baseless claim that if coach that he would have his players bomb it into the forward line.

Indeed my point is that he is already more than aware of the benefits of not bombing.

Harvey was smart enough to play to his strengths. With coaches what I would like is for is a coach that can mould his team to make the most of the advantages that they have.
You are dead right, I did digress, I thought you were onto the tone of my post which could have been facetious and/or sarcastic and possibly a failed attempt at humour. Apologies in advance for wasting your time.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

I remember a crucial set shot goal Harves kicked from near the boundary in the 05 final verses Adel, a game where he almost single handily got us the win, interstate, underdogs, Harvey at 34yo reigned supreme!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:14pm I remember a crucial set shot goal Harves kicked from near the boundary in the 05 final verses Adel, a game where he almost single handily got us the win, interstate, underdogs, Harvey at 34yo reigned supreme!
Should of played on in 09, that retirement cost us & we chased Cousins!!!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Fully agree

Either Cousins or Harvey in the 09 GF for us, we win

Their experience and composure, gut running, skill and ball use would have been the difference.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:55pm Fully agree

Either Cousins or Harvey in the 09 GF for us, we win

Their experience and composure, gut running, skill and ball use would have been the difference.
Even Ball in the 4th quarter may have done the trick too, but I agree with you anyway.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Nothing would be better than Harvey taking us to a premiership.

But Ratten is my preference. I like his experience. He ticks just about every box.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Crawford pumps for Sam Mitchell.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/ ... 9b48746857

"He may have ruled himself out of applying for top jobs but Shane Crawford says that shouldn’t stop St Kilda and Carlton from going after the most well credentialed assistant coach in the game, Sam Mitchell.
Glenn McFarlane, Herald Sun

St Kilda and Carlton would be “crazy” not to chase AFL coach-in-waiting Sam Mitchell for their vacant senior roles, according to Mitchell’s premiership teammate Shane Crawford.

While Mitchell recently said he felt the time wasn’t yet right for him to seek a senior coaching position after only two seasons as an assistant, Crawford predicted this might be the only chance each club gets to lock in the closest thing he has seen to a “Clarko clone”.

North Melbourne is increasingly likely to stick with caretaker coach Rhyce Shaw, but St Kilda and Carlton are underway in their searches for a long-term coach.

“They would be crazy not making an approach to him, at least,” Crawford told the Herald Sun, stressing he felt Mitchell would one day emulate Clarkson as an AFL premiership coach.

“Even if Sam says he thinks he might need another year or two in the system, you’d have to still chase him.

“He’s the biggest Clarko clone I have ever seen.

“He has had a couple of years in the system now as an assistant coach. West Coast won the flag last year when everyone said they were no chance and he is in charge of the midfield.

“Now he’s doing some great things at Hawthorn.

“They would be crazy not to at least have a chat to him. I can tell you if he presented to them, he would actually blow them away.”

Mitchell, a four-time premiership player and one-time premiership assistant coach, said last month he felt he wasn’t quite ready.

He told Channel 7: “At some point I’d love to sit in front of a CEO or a president and say ‘I’m your man”.

“I couldn’t say absolutely I’m the right man for a head coaching job at the moment.

“Eventually I’d like to get to that point but there’s a lot of learning to happen.”

Crawford pointed to the fact the last eight AFL premiership teams have been coached by a man who was a first-time AFL coach when he took on the role, saying it was the most proven modern method rather than looking back to those who had coached before.

“History is telling us that first-time coaches are the way to go,” he said.

“I think these days you need a coach who has played the modern way, with all the zoning, and Sam’s done that.

“He’s not like a Michael Voss and a James Hird, because he has been an assistant coach for two years, and he’s also been an on-field coach for a lot longer.

“He might say no, but where’s the harm in asking?”

Mitchell grew up as a St Kilda supporter, wearing Tony Lockett’s No. 4 jumper as kid, before switching to Nathan Burke’s No. 3 when Lockett left."

saynta
Saintsational Legend

from the herald sun.com

Tactically brilliant' Harvey ready to coach Saints: Pendlebury
Alistair Paton

– Paul Sebastiani

Collingwood captain Scott Pendlebury has given a glowing endorsement of the coaching credentials of Magpies assistant coach Robert Harvey.

Pendlebury did not think twice when asked if St Kilda should consider bringing back one of its favourite sons to lead the club following the departure of Alan Richardson.

“For me, it’s a no-brainer,” Pendlebury said on the Jock & Journo podcast.

“Being an ex-champion of the club, the commercial side of it too, I think a lot of St Kilda people would be rapt to just hear ‘Harvs’ mentioned in the conversation.”

And if any potential suitor for Harvey was worried about his tactical nous in the coaches box, Pendlebury put those doubts to rest very quickly.

“He’s tactically as brilliant as anyone I’ve seen in the game,” Pendlebury said.

“I think there is being tactically brilliant and there is getting that message through to the playing group. He can do that easily. It’s very clear when he speaks to the players about what we need to do."

Pendlebury has clear memories of a specific moment this year when Harvey had a direct impact on how he could improve his output on the field.

“With me, earlier in the year, I felt like I was going OK but I wasn’t in great form.

“I saw him on a Monday and had a chat with him.

“He’s like this is why you’re out of form. You need to do this and this and it will take you straight back to where you need to be.

"I had an immediate spike in my form from just off a simple shift in my mindset which he picked up so quickly."

It was the Monday leading up to this year’s Anzac Day clash with Essendon.

Pendlebury stepped out on to the MCG that Thursday, racked up 38 disposals, claimed a record-equalling third Anzac Day Medal for being best afield and led the Magpies to a four-point win.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

So, the race could be interesting.

BonoRocks
Club Player

My heart says give it to Harves, what a great storey it could be..
Hes done the hard yards getting the experience..

Ratten has been there all year so its not like his voice and ideas havent been heard too.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:50pm
B.M wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 7:14pm I remember a crucial set shot goal Harves kicked from near the boundary in the 05 final verses Adel, a game where he almost single handily got us the win, interstate, underdogs, Harvey at 34yo reigned supreme!
Should of played on in 09, that retirement cost us & we chased Cousins!!!
he was pushed...
and RL was totally on-board with cousins

and PS in the time I watched Harvs play - if he kicked a goal - we usually won the game :-(((

Seeya
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

Banger, with Lenny as Assistant.

Dream team

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Banger would be a very popular appointment and would in my view lead to record numbers of memberships.

HighettMan
Club Player

Ghost Like wrote: Thu 18 Jul 2019 9:17am Sounds like Harves knocked you back for an autograph. There really has to be a reason for your angst.

Kicking over jam tins, thank god Hawthorn, the Dogs & Geelong didn't use that prerequisite.

Mick Nolan could be running (?) out of goal square at the moment and our mids would not even see him, let alone hit him. I watched Ross in a game this year stream out of the centre, skewed his kick and missed the entire F50 all together! I'm quite sure the "lowering your eyes" poster boy would be Rob Harvey.

If anything he's a lesson in playing to his limitations and perfecting that through hard work and effort. I'm quietly confident he'd get that message across.

Quick google search, the great man still kicked 215 goals (trivia - same number of Brownlow votes). 215 goals has him ranked currently at 345 on the all time goal kickers. I would say that's high for a pure midfielder.

I think Harvey knows about the midfield, forward entries and the discipline required to get the best out of ones self.

As for coaching in your own right, please tell me who Simpson, Hardwick, Clarkson, the Scott brothers, Longmire and Thompson coached in their own right before being appointed.

Clarkson, at Werribee, then the SANFL & Beveridge at St Bedes, a phenomenal achievement. I doubt though, like Leicester City (same year) the planets will align like they did for the Dogs again for a very long time. Perhaps 2016 was Bevo's Hawks 2008, time will tell but he can obviously instill belief in his players.

I do think R. Harvey is the right move for the Club where it is right now, on & off field.

I do believe coaches are voted in, either unanimously or by majority. Unless it's a Philippino election and Lethlean is in charge of the voting booths.
I gotta start using emojis to express intonation...insert smiley

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Remember Trott?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I think Banger and Ratten would make a nice team.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Harvey will never become a senior coach.

If he is such a great potential senior coach, then where are all the endorsements for it? And why isn't his name being thrown into the mix to coach North Melbourne or Carlton?

I'm not buying into this at all. There is no room for sentimentality in the cutthroat game of coaching AFL teams these days. I would have thought most people would know that by now!!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
The Barometer
Club Player

saynta wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 5:55pm Banger would be a very popular appointment and would in my view lead to record numbers of memberships.
Understand the emotion for some but I still don’t see him as a senior coach. I’m worried that it won’t work and it would tarnish his saints legacy... tough one.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote: Fri 19 Jul 2019 7:31pm Harvey will never become a senior coach.

If he is such a great potential senior coach, then where are all the endorsements for it?
You mean like Buckley? Who has endorsed him to be a senior coach.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....