Until Richo gets the sack we are an ordinaly football team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Until Richo gets the sack we are an ordinaly football team

longtimesaint wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:12pm What rubbish to blame Richo.
With at least 4 or 5 players not good enough and the better ones with after effects from illness, Clarkson wouldn’t have done better.
Hear Hear. The reality is our cattle are not top quality.
But they are our cattle and Richo extracts plenty of milk.
Richo has got the players playing as team with good systems and structures.
But when the players don't bring their very best, oppositions are likely to run rings around them.
They are our players and our coach.
They give their best most of time but they are not elite.

I am reminded of a cartoon about a King.
The distressed adviser tells the King that the peasants are revolting.
The King calmly replies, I know my peasants are revolting but they are the only peasants I've got.

Our list is probably bottom two in quality and yet our boys beat Carlton last week, and even threaten the eight.
If you want to sack anyone go back in your time machine and sack recruiters Beveridge and Trout.
But realise their replacements may be no better.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Time to go:

Richo and Hamill - No development under these two and no game plan

List Cloggers
Rowe
Armitage
Longer
Rice

Peanut Farm
Club Player

Today's coach killers were:
Sinclair 0.3 & Kent 0.3
Coffield & Young were pathetic
Billings should be traded

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BarryGrogan wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:22pm
tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:19pm The whole club was ordinary today, to just blame Alan is unfair. Several players were not fit and many were left out for the same reason also. As bad as the side was, illness played a massive part - especially when you play in 30 degree heat.
I can't see how that explains the last 5 years though.

The exact same problems remain.

The same guys, that do the same things keep getting picked.
Given that Richo is so 'strong' on selection integrity, it can only mean that they're being instructed to do the things they're doing. I mean, they've been bombing it in mindlessly for 5 years now.

And if they're not, then the coach has dropped the ball by either failing to find a solution, and/or by continuing to select guys who can't or won't follow his instructions.
Just want to draw attention to this point.

5 years in...
Can’t play two ruckman in the team... Bruce continues to be the back up
Can’t recruit or develop classy, pacy mids
Play injured and unfit players
Players bomb the ball forward routinely
Woefully inaccurate in front of goal

As you said... has been going on for ages
Last edited by skeptic on Mon 03 Jun 2019 12:11am, edited 1 time in total.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Sanctorum wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 7:17pm 9 players with less than 50 games were far superior to St Kilda's 9, and that was a big factor in today's game from what I saw.
The AFL has in recent years taken a strong interest in the Saints performance, viz the appointment of Simon Lethlean and others
I beg to differ here
Lethlean was appointed or more gifted a country governorship to allow the dust to settle in light of his indiscretions - nothing more than an opportunity to lay low and eventually be elevated back up to his nepotic place in the sun amongst his old bit network - One wonders, what actually went on with that appointment, was he foisyed on on the StKFC or were there actually people at StKFC who wanted him?

Well things didnt go to plan as Lethlean found himself smack bang in the the centre of an AFL project in which the wheels had fallen off - the StKFC under Finnis and Richardson in 2018. Lethlean was looking for the first bus out when a job at Melbourne came up - who can blame him? being exposed for being someone far less than your credentials would have the world believe is never something anyone wants to be made known, when your benefactors are your mates and the reason you have a top job is based on your mateship and not on your merits

I'm watching Lethlean more closely than Richardson at the moment and if nothing happens between now and the end of the season, the board MUST flush out Richardson, Finnis and Lethlean - the AFL toady system has failed us badly and, quite frankly, is killing us from within

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

With at least 4 or 5 players not good enough and the better ones with after effects from illness, Clarkson wouldn’t have done better.
Tripe. There are swags of supporters who are way smarter than simply resorting to 'blame'.

How about some of the 'ya can't BLAME Richo' crowd actually knuckle down to a bit a cold, hard performance analysis.

I wouldn't claim to know Richo in any personal capacity, nor do I care to know Richo, or any other club 'official', as any sort of criterion that might influence what I see happening on and off the ground - I'm not that needy.

But, the 'cold dead eye' of analysing what I've seen over the last 1/2 dozen years tells me Richo is a bust.

He might be a nice guy, he may not- it's all irrelevant.

I'm interested in a manager's ability to maintain and evidence a consistent decision making integrity, from team selection, to young player development, to game day tactics that exhibit a consistency of strategic understanding.

Richo has shown me none of any of that.

Ergo, I concluded some time back that Richo is not a mid to top end AFL coach.

This is my right, thus far I have been proven right, and soon enough more important people than moi will be seen to agree that I (and many, many others) was right.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 6:34pm I am not sure what these admirable qualities and coaching philosophies of Richo's even are ... Someone please inform us all!
Sorry, m, not a sausage here.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Furphy
Club Player

Confucius say: 'St. Kilda ordinaly team'

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 12:49am Confucius say: 'St. Kilda ordinaly team'
Now we've been to China, 'beer in a blue can', and we become able to get to grips with where Confucianism and Taoism overlap and intersect, we'll be world beaters.

Coaching wise, I can see some of that being a problem;

"Those who know do not say; those who say do not know." -Lao-tzu

"The superior men are sparing in their words and profuse in their deeds." -Confucius

twirlyhair
Club Player

Currently fielding youngest team in the comp doesn't help.

Laurie
Club Player

Our players are not as good as we make them out to be we just do not have the cattle lets face it.
It is easy to always point the finger at the coach.
For the supporters it is going to be another long period of heartache.We need to get it right at the top being administration it is a boys club waste of money recruiting Hannebry and if the rumour mill is right Brad Scott heading our way also.These guys making the decisions in Lethlean need to be accountable. It will be a long time until we land a big fish.Seriously who in their right mind would want to play for us .

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 12:36am
Tripe. There are swags of supporters who are way smarter than simply resorting to 'blame'.

How about some of the 'ya can't BLAME Richo' crowd actually knuckle down to a bit a cold, hard performance analysis.

I wouldn't claim to know Richo in any personal capacity, nor do I care to know Richo, or any other club 'official', as any sort of criterion that might influence what I see happening on and off the ground - I'm not that needy.

But, the 'cold dead eye' of analysing what I've seen over the last 1/2 dozen years tells me Richo is a bust.

He might be a nice guy, he may not- it's all irrelevant.

I'm interested in a manager's ability to maintain and evidence a consistent decision making integrity, from team selection, to young player development, to game day tactics that exhibit a consistency of strategic understanding.

Richo has shown me none of any of that.

Ergo, I concluded some time back that Richo is not a mid to top end AFL coach.

This is my right, thus far I have been proven right, and soon enough more important people than moi will be seen to agree that I (and many, many others) was right.

Nailed it. Exactly.

gone fission
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 10:14am Currently fielding youngest team in the comp doesn't help.
False.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Half time kids running around like chooks- that's more like Saints footy.

twirlyhair
Club Player

gone fission wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 12:39pm
twirlyhair wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 10:14am Currently fielding youngest team in the comp doesn't help.
False.
Second youngest?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Laurie wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 11:16am Our players are not as good as we make them out to be we just do not have the cattle lets face it.
For the supporters it is going to be another long period of heartache.We need to get it right at the top being administration it is a boys club waste of money recruiting Hannebry and if the rumour mill is right Brad Scott heading our way also.These guys making the decisions in Lethlean need to be accountable. It will be a long time until we land a big fish.Seriously who in their right mind would want to play for us .
Missing about 14 or 15 players on Sunday didn't help.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 7:46pm
Laurie wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 11:16am Our players are not as good as we make them out to be we just do not have the cattle lets face it.
Missing about 14 or 15 players on Sunday didn't help.
And the 5 years before that?

twirlyhair
Club Player

False.
So at the start of the season, our games experience was 2550 which placed us 16th. Port who we played on the weekend came in 5th with 3167. With the loss of senior players at the start of the season, Carlisle, Steven, etc...I think it is fair to say that we are babies...just sayin.

gone fission
Club Player

twirlyhair wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 8:13pm
False.
So at the start of the season, our games experience was 2550 which placed us 16th. Port who we played on the weekend came in 5th with 3167. With the loss of senior players at the start of the season, Carlisle, Steven, etc...I think it is fair to say that we are babies...just sayin.
Age and games experience are completely different stats, we aren't the lowest on either count so your point or points are both incorrect and irrelevant.

Interestingly the number of games played by younger players is 100% directly affected by the coaches choices over a number of years whether to play them or stick with mature players, so there should be absolutely no sympathy or free passes afforded to a coach who has been a catalyst in delivering a young group with very little experience.

twirlyhair
Club Player

gone fission wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 11:10pm
twirlyhair wrote: Mon 03 Jun 2019 8:13pm
False.
Age and games experience are completely different stats, we aren't the lowest on either count so your point or points are both incorrect and irrelevant.

Interestingly the number of games played by younger players is 100% directly affected by the coaches choices over a number of years whether to play them or stick with mature players, so there should be absolutely no sympathy or free passes afforded to a coach who has been a catalyst in delivering a young group with very little experience.
Hmm the entire football industry would disagree with you. Experience and games played directly correlates with success. Successful clubs such as Hawthorn and Collingwood have therefore recruited experience, rather than rely on the draft like Carlton has. We would love to recruit seasoned professionals, but they won't come to us, as we are not the place they want to go to. Hannebury yes, others no.

Crossy66
Club Player

Before China we are 5 and 5 and most pundits reckon we are doing well, injuries considered. I am told 8 players were hit with gastro and we have atleast 7 players to come back in over the next few weeks
So that's 15 players in total.
Yes, the sandy standard players were poor, but that cant all be leveled at the coaching staff

saintadamski
Club Player

saintbob wrote: Sun 02 Jun 2019 11:18pm Time to go:

Richo and Hamill - No development under these two and no game plan

List Cloggers
Rowe
Armitage
Longer
Rice
Um I think the number of list cloggers is a fair bit longer than that...starting with Newnes and Sinclair

This is a terrible list. The midfield is the worst in the comp....there are so many C graders, it's ridiculous.

ace
Saintsational Legend

What's up guys.
We are the second best team currently playing in China, the most populous nation on the planet.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

What's up guys.
We are the second best AFL team currently playing in China, the most populous nation on the planet.