Punted from Good Friday ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Punted from Good Friday ...

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 1:43pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 1:16pm

At the risk of sounding rude, thanks for the VFL/AFL history and political economy mansplain.
Leave the sexist digs out of it please. That's offensive and patronising.

SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 1:16pm Instead, let’s apply Occam’s law of parsimony to explain my original proposition:

As there is an AFL hierarchy of power dominance, ST. KFC is at the bottom of the heap when it comes to lobbying the AFL and hence influencing key AFL decisions.
There is no hierarchy of power dominance.

There is the AFL, whom use their resources to manipulate their consumers to extract maximum profit.

Full stop.

They manipulate Collingwood, and they manipulate St. Kilda. They manipulate all clubs. They just do it differently depending on what it is that they're trying to achieve.

The reason for feeling the need to give background and context, is because your posting suggests that you're looking at this through incredibly naive eyes. You seem to be viewing the footy like the good old days when clubs were actually clubs and they played in a true sporting comp. It hasn't been like that in years.

It's a product.

The game is a product that the AFL own.

St. Kilda isn't a club - it's a brand. You consume a product and you do so because you have an emotional attachment to a brand. Others don't. Some consume it differently and for different reasons.

Collingwood don't tell the AFL what to do. They have no power whatsoever. What on earth are they going to do? Forfeit? Refuse to play? Come on.

The AFL dictate what Collingwood will do probably more than any other club, because they are their cash cow! They, along with Essendon and Richmond etc. are the golden goose. Not because Collingwood have power over them!! I mean seriously.

Where people get confused, is that what the AFL dictate these clubs will do often results in favourable circumstances for those clubs compared to others. But given the point is to maximise the revenue these clubs generate, not create an even and fair comp - why would anyone be surprised by that?
That’s a bit rich calling me patronising when I was responding to your condescending lecture on how the AFL works.

Disagree that there’s no dominance hierarchy in the AFL. All clubs are not equal.

Your proposition is impossible to prove anyway.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 2:15pm

That’s a bit rich calling me patronising when I was responding to your condescending lecture on how the AFL works.

I've re-read my post 6 times, and I can't comprehend how you could possibly find it condescending?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 2:44pm

I've re-read my post 6 times, and I can't comprehend how you could possibly find it condescending?
Well maybe you didn’t mean to be condescending but that’s the way I took it. It’s all a matter of perspective.

ss1986
Club Player

No worries Ostrich 1 and Ostrich 2.

I am supremely confident there’d be far more fans on this forum and beyond it, that would be on my side of the fence compared to the sandy desert that you blokes live in.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 3:34pm No worries Ostrich 1 and Ostrich 2.

I am supremely confident there’d be far more fans on this forum and beyond it, that would be on my side of the fence compared to the sandy desert that you blokes live in.
And that's preciesely how the AFL makes its dough.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 3:29pm

Well maybe you didn’t mean to be condescending but that’s the way I took it. It’s all a matter of perspective.
Of course I didn't mean to.

I put forward an opinion, and when someone debated it - I clarified it and offered context and reasoning behind why I hold that opinion. Isn't that the reasonable way to hold a discussion?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 4:23pm
SaintPav wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 3:29pm

Of course I didn't mean to.

I put forward an opinion, and when someone debated it - I clarified it and offered context and reasoning behind why I hold that opinion. Isn't that the reasonable way to hold a discussion?
Of course.

The tone was condescending and I’m sure you have heard of the expression: “sucking eggs”.

Just curious, do you work in management consulting?

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Impressed with anyone that drops perennially casually into a conversation with a new friend. Say like: Collingwood perennially loses (or draws) grand finals after having huge leads. Tom Hafey was a spartan and an aesthetic surely he would never use the poo word to describe a fellow competitor club. He might mention they party too much and can't save for nuts but I am sure he admired Baldock, Stewart, Barker, Cowboy, V. Howell et al. He would never refer to those legends in derogatory terms. 1000 sit ups, then a cup of tea, no sniping - that's Tommy.

ss1986
Club Player

Tommy Hafey, verbatim : “s*** club, always have been”.

I’ve never been as despondent about our football club than at that moment.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 5:29pm Tommy Hafey, verbatim : “s*** club, always have been”.

Hahaha.

Cause a geriatric that never had any involvement in the AFL bagged a club based on his perception from decades ago???

Come on man. Get a grip.

ss1986
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 6:10pm
ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 5:29pm Tommy Hafey, verbatim : “s*** club, always have been”.

Hahaha.

Cause a geriatric that never had any involvement in the AFL bagged a club based on his perception from decades ago???

Come on man. Get a grip.
So anything that happened prior to 1990 isn’t worthy of recognition by you?

Just... pretend it never happened?

Now we don’t even have a flag 🤦‍♂️

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

ss1986 wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 8:25pm
rodgerfox wrote: Sun 28 Oct 2018 6:10pm

Hahaha.

Come on man. Get a grip.
So anything that happened prior to 1990 isn’t worthy of recognition by you?

Just... pretend it never happened?

Now we don’t even have a flag 🤦‍♂️
It's not that simplistic.

But, what does 1990 and anything prior to that have to do with me? I hadn't even hit puberty FFS.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

It’s called culture.
It exists.

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I reckon you can only look at any AFL club in the past 10-20 years and relate to it to their current culture.

No one at the club or any supporter or player right now has no bearing or can be blamed on what the club did over 20+ years ago and its entire history.

Its like saying a kid born today that had a Nazi for great grandfather is destined for an evil and doomed life.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
chico2001
Club Player

[/quote]

FFS Rodge….get a life, 6 times !! If you want to get ahead in some of these discussions. ...read some of Chicos posts 6 times daily and other posters wont dare bother replying to your debating brilliance ;)

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

My major gripe isn’t that we lost this game (no second chances, hey?! Club really stuffed this up), it’s that they gave it to Fkn Essendon and not back to the Doggies...Cheats have enough prime time slots...it better not be a permanent fixture..

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Sadly SP, I think it will become a permanent fixture. It will be like Essendon rookie listed JC all those years ago and made him what he is today.

If I was a cynic, I'd be right in thinking the AFL would love to bump North and replace them with Carlton. Perhaps in 3 years. Essendon will sell it out, that will be a fact.

FWIW, I agree there is a hierarchy within the AFL and the power of that comes from the product. If the AFL was Woolies, we'd be a bottom shelf product, the Suns in a bargain bin & Collingwood at the checkout. The consumer's thirst for their product helps dictate their placement. Essendon's product had needles in it but that storm has abated and let's face it, people love strawberries.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 11:12am If the AFL was Woolies, we'd be a bottom shelf product, the Suns in a bargain bin & Collingwood at the checkout. The consumer's thirst for their product helps dictate their placement. Essendon's product had needles in it but that storm has abated and let's face it, people love strawberries.
Bingo.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Tue 30 Oct 2018 8:45pm

FFS Rodge….get a life, 6 times !! If you want to get ahead in some of these discussions. ...read some of Chicos posts 6 times daily and other posters wont dare bother replying to your debating brilliance ;)
[/quote]

lol.

I hate reading my s*** more than once and I read/edit as I write..

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 11:12am Sadly SP, I think it will become a permanent fixture. It will be like Essendon rookie listed JC all those years ago and made him what he is today.

If I was a cynic, I'd be right in thinking the AFL would love to bump North and replace them with Carlton. Perhaps in 3 years. Essendon will sell it out, that will be a fact.

FWIW, I agree there is a hierarchy within the AFL and the power of that comes from the product. If the AFL was Woolies, we'd be a bottom shelf product, the Suns in a bargain bin & Collingwood at the checkout. The consumer's thirst for their product helps dictate their placement. Essendon's product had needles in it but that storm has abated and let's face it, people love strawberries.
Yes, I agree.

Too bad for all of us though isn't it!

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

It is SP, the AFL is no longer a game for the people.

chico2001
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 11:19am
Ghost Like wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 11:12am If the AFL was Woolies, we'd be a bottom shelf product, the Suns in a bargain bin & Collingwood at the checkout. The consumer's thirst for their product helps dictate their placement. Essendon's product had needles in it but that storm has abated and let's face it, people love strawberries.
Bingo.

Nice one Ghost. Win 8-9-10 games and then you jump up into the freezer section, always a crowd in that area, may stay there for a while but at least you are always in the "window"

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 4:59pm
Bingo.

Nice one Ghost. Win 8-9-10 games and then you jump up into the freezer section, always a crowd in that area, may stay there for a while but at least you are always in the "window"
Winning is totally irrelevant.

Carlton get a good fixture, because the AFL knows what they're capable of bringing in. They want them up and about ASAP.

The Bulldogs won the flag FFS, yet remain outcast.

It's not about winning or losing, it's purely about how much dough you bring in.

chico2001
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 5:10pm
chico2001 wrote: Wed 31 Oct 2018 4:59pm
Bingo.

Winning is totally irrelevant.

Carlton get a good fixture, because the AFL knows what they're capable of bringing in. They want them up and about ASAP.

The Bulldogs won the flag FFS, yet remain outcast.

It's not about winning or losing, it's purely about how much dough you bring in.
Have to disagree with that one big time Rodge, Winning is everything for the saints, now , next week and forever. Not sure why you said that, illogical statement and unworthy statement. It should be like a red rag to a bull if mentioned within 1000km of Linton st. If the saints don't win and get bums on seats , close this forum down because you wont have anything to talk about. If you can get anyone from the captain upwards from St Kilda to write "winning is totally irrelevant" on paper and paste it on here then I will buy you a free ticket to China to watch the saints play the Power.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

if it's not about winning and losing why do the afl want carlton up and about?
because bringing in the dollar is all about winning and losing. especially longer term.
especially in the current afl climate.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "